post #4321 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Sounds like a smart move, but would that void the mfg's warantee????

Only 90 days, so decided to void it. While I was in there, decided to repair all of the plastic internal housing supports.

They were all cracked from factory assembly. That casing is extremely brittle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

When i shut of my pre-pro at the end of the day or night, leaving my TV on and the Darbee on inside of my HT rack, the TVis black but blinks its own status information constantly, such as input port the signal is coming in and te type of input connection it is. In my case, its saying HDMI4 (remaned as Anthem) and HDMI.

I don't know how to tell it to stop blinking w/o turning off the TV. I don't turn off the TV for i don't want to wear out the power supply. I've already replaced it once already. So after 15 minutes or so of no video,  the TV is supposed to enter deep sleep mode which preserves lots of power and cools it down as well. but with the Drabee in th chain, like i sad before, it blinks status info repetitevely.

Anyone seeing this as well? Can you try this quick test for less than 30 seconds for me please? Thanks ....

1. Turn off your AVR/Pre-Pro.

2.  Leave your TV/ Project on.

3.  Do NOT turn off the darbee or any other device in the chain after the pre-pro. The assumption is that the Darbee is attached directly to the output of the AVR / Pre -Pro.

What does your display show? Is it completey lack/bblank or does it show or blink some message of some sort?

Thanks,
David

Unfortunately, with my Sony, if the TV is powered on with no signal coming from the AVR, the Sony displays a warning message "No signal...". I would never consider leaving it this way.

If you have the power saver mode enabled, isn't this equivalent to powering the TV off? IMO, your original power supply probably was defective. I don't see any increased risk for wear by turning the TV off.
post #4323 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 AM

Liked: 10
I've been posting in the vt50 owners and once in the settings thread but it seems this is where I need to be now.

I've sent an email in this morning to Darbee about it, figured I'd post a few problms I've had and now some observations. First I must say, I'm completely new to a lot of this so i apologize if i use the wrong terminology or just flat out suck at desribing it.

My problem is definitely 3D content related.

The first time I had the probelm it actually power cycled my TV(Panny 65vt50) and the Darblet reset itself back to factory defaults. I could not get it to repeat so I ruled it off as a one time glitch. I just didn't put the 3D content into the equation. I got avatar 3D Tuesday and tried watching it that night. Couldn't do it as objects seemed out of focus and garbled for a lack of better terms. I gave up and posted about it.

Yesterday after powering everything back on I noticed the Darblet had once again reset itself to factory defaults. It was recommended I try THX 3D mode(didn't know about it), it seemed to do better but I noticed a purplish flash when it was in the PS3 menu area. I unhooked the Darbee and this probelm went away and watched about an hour of the movie with no other problems.

So today after emailing Darbee I decided to try 3D content again with the Darblet in the link again. I started off with Directv cannels 106 and 107. Hopefully the pictures show it right, these are with my phone. When I would turn the Darblet on and off, the mode and percentage that normally show up in the center lower screen was actually on the left and right side of the screen in two places bottom left and right and about mid way up. The right side had Darbee and three dots after. didn't take a pic.

Channel 107 in 3D

13A5641C-EAE1-4E68-AE45-43A1A4FE9288-534-000001007BF3D4FF-1.jpg

Channel 106 in 3D

5FBAA305-CE21-4AAD-B4D1-E4BD11D483EB-538-0000010091F3E327.jpg

So I put Avatar 3D back in and running it through my PS3, it is in the normal area

8D85B267-6B7A-4802-9BE9-D15FB46DA8DD-538-00000100992AB719.jpg

So then I get on here to post the odd results and decided to let it play as I was doing so to see if it would reset itself or power cycle my TV.

While typing this I thought it had done it as I heard it cut out. Go in to check it out and this is what I found. Took a video of it.

th_CC22B5EF-1A6A-4CD2-9024-E78A3CCF8BDC-538-00000102DA44D5C3.jpg

Here is a short video of the screen flash when going from 2D Discovery Channel to 3D ESPN on Directv. Does the same thing through my PS3

th_9040E70E-65B0-4E23-8744-EC570022D364-549-000001075041CBAE.jpg

I have yet to get it to glitch and such during normal broadcast on Directv 3D channels, other than the purple flashing during 2D to 3D switch.

Thoughts?

Idon't think I will be watching 3D content with the Dablet installed if this is the results. I'm afraid it will damage my tv cutting in and out like that. I think it is phenomenal in all other aspects. Just a bit frustrating.
post #4324 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12

Just felt mine, its been on for 2 days solid, not even warm (barley)

Texas Steve
post #4325 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Unfortunately, with my Sony, if the TV is powered on with no signal coming from the AVR, the Sony displays a warning message "No signal...". I would never consider leaving it this way.
If you have the power saver mode enabled, isn't this equivalent to powering the TV off? IMO, your original power supply probably was defective. I don't see any increased risk for wear by turning the TV off.

Not turning off TV was one of the recommendations of the manufcaturer. With the status or warning messages blinking, the TV never gets a chance to neter its power down/saving mode.

Thanks Austin for taking time to test this out on your systemsmile.gif!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #4326 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

The Cyclone IV processor that is the heart of the Darblet operates rather hot. I decided to install a copper heat sink last night in hopes of improving long-term reliability.
I have seen far too many BMG mounted component failures over the years. Heat sinks are really inexpensive insurance.

Did you take any pictures you can share? I am curious.

Thanks.

Mark
post #4327 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 12:00 PM

After reading this entire thread I'm still not sure exactly what this thing will do for me ?
post #4328 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by k huntin View Post

After reading this entire thread I'm still not sure exactly what this thing will do for me ?

Just being honest - you couldn't have read all the posts or perhaps just did not pay attention. I was very specific in what it does, as was some others. On top of that there are pictures that show what it does. It may or not be something you are interested in, but it certainly has a purpose.
jbernardi likes this.
post #4329 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Different people describe the effect of the Darb differently, but I would characterize it as giving a heightened intra-scene contrast, i.e., a higher effective ANSI-like contrast.    This is also often perceived as a sharper image.

post #4330 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

I read the entire thread too. And it...along with youtube demos & Darbee Website demos...gave me an excellent fix on what it does. So much so...that I can't wait to get mine this Christmas. Now whether I see and perceive what others here experienced is up for grabs. But I'll bet it will be close. I'm not looking for miracles. I'm looking for flexibility in my setup that allows for noticeable user based visual improvements, without the need for tedious calibrations...constant cleaning and tweaking. From what I've read here and elsewhere...Darbee does this in spades. This thread helped clarify all of the benefits and even troubleshooted some of the problems. Great job by all.
post #4331 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Did you take any pictures you can share? I am curious.
Thanks.
Mark

Didn't bother to snap any. The chosen heat sink was nothing special. Just a .75"x.75"x.18" copper DRAM sink. It weighs approx 200 grams.

My Darblet does operate warmer than others have been reporting. I'll eventually get around to posting actual temps.
post #4332 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

Didn't bother to snap any. The chosen heat sink was nothing special. Just a .75"x.75"x.18" copper DRAM sink. It weighs approx 200 grams.
My Darblet does operate warmer than others have been reporting. I'll eventually get around to posting actual temps.

Gad that's huge relative to the Darblet isn't it? Still I'd love to hear how effective it is and perhaps you could post a picture or two showing the attachment?
post #4333 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM

Firstly thanks to everone for their views and feedback.

I like the darblet and it's visual effect, but cant seem to get pass through with out all the components on.

I have a Denon AVR and Sharp TV and cant seem to get the Darby to pass through Sat or Blu-Ray signals without the AVR being on.

I should qualify that by saying if I power everything on then power down the AVR and then power cycle the Sat, I can get audio and video passing through.

As soon as I turn off the TV though, I get no audio or video unless I power the AVR back on.

With just the Sat and TV, I get "an incompatible video signal has been recieved". and If I power on the AVR I get audio and video.

Then I power down the AVR and I get "an incompatible audio signal has been recieved" then I power cycle the Sat and all is good until I turn off the TV.

If I remove the Darblet, I get pass through from Sat no issues.

Any suggestions?

I should say that I've tried disabling HDMI control, but then I cant get any audio or video if I power off the AVR
I also added a longer HDMI cable to see if that helped.
I also purchased a high speed switch and added to the system to see if that helped.
post #4334 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

many times its all in the order of how things are turned on (same as with the wife)!    HDMI is picky (opps so is the wife)!!!

Texas Steve
post #4335 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 03:26 PM

Thanks Tex, is there a prefered sequence?
post #4336 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

usually is best to have your final display (TV what ever) on first as it then has acquired that resloution.  But with that said, HDMI is so picky, you just have to figure out what works then repeat it!  Sorry not a solid answer but it is what it is.   For me I have the Darby on all the time, then comes my display then my source.

Texas Steve
post #4337 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager1000 View Post

As TexasSteve said, you have to experiment with your own setup.    For me, the Darb is alway on (as is the Comcast cable box), and I turn the AVR and projector on when used, and off when not.    I've had no 'issues' with the Darb.   [Comcast or BD => Onkyo 3008 AVR => Darb => projector]

post #4338 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas steve View Post

usually is best to have your final display (TV what ever) on first as it then has acquired that resloution.  But with that said, HDMI is so picky, you just have to figure out what works then repeat it!  Sorry not a solid answer but it is what it is.   For me I have the Darby on all the time, then comes my display then my source.

Just to add, you should perform the reverse order when powering down. One hiccup is with my Wii; If I turn the Wii off before my projector, the projector will not shut down. It does NOT do this with my PS3. For all the newcomers, you just need to be your own troubleshooter if there are no answers on the forum (and have read or done a search on your particular problem).

P.S. A lot of people complain about the magenta flashes....I believe this is 'normal', as a result of HDMI hand-shaking and/or resolution/color space anomalies. Who knows, but during a full-length movie it should not happen....only during the previews, menu, etc....YMMV!!!

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #4339 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I read the entire thread too. And it...along with youtube demos & Darbee Website demos...gave me an excellent fix on what it does. So much so...that I can't wait to get mine this Christmas. Now whether I see and perceive what others here experienced is up for grabs. But I'll bet it will be close. I'm not looking for miracles. I'm looking for flexibility in my setup that allows for noticeable user based visual improvements, without the need for tedious calibrations...constant cleaning and tweaking. From what I've read here and elsewhere...Darbee does this in spades. This thread helped clarify all of the benefits and even troubleshooted some of the problems. Great job by all.

I think it will make a great present! Post how you like it once you have used it.
post #4340 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas steve View Post

For me I have the Darby on all the time, then comes my display then my source.

Ditto.
post #4341 of 8321 Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager1000 View Post

Yes, first is the soft music, then the glass of red wine.... wink.gif
post #4342 of 8321 Old 10-19-2012, 05:26 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Received my Darbee yessterday and installed it on a new GT50. After quite a bit of testing from just about everything I could think of, my personal opinion is that it can definately make a difference and I am very pleased. No question some folks can probably find things they don't like but overall I would be hard pressed to give it anything but a positive recommendation.
post #4343 of 8321 Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Are there any HTPC owners here who are using SVP Frame Interpolation on their HTPC and the Darbee after this? Experience?
post #4344 of 8321 Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Yes, first is the soft music, then the glass of red wine.... wink.gif

wink.gif
post #4345 of 8321 Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 78

How does one contact Darbee tech support?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #4346 of 8321 Old 10-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Darbee Darblet is here!

jEjVMl.jpg?1

and unfortunately its going back frown.gif

It just doesn't provide enough to warrant the $350. Watched several movies and used both HD, GAME and full POP. Going back and forth its either really apparent at >50% or too subtle at anything less.

With it on 50% it makes the picture too artificial for my tastes. In close up facial shots it makes people apear like they have aged 20 years by adding to much contrast to pores and wrinkles. And on outdoor scenes it doesn't do much other than boost black levels to a point that seem fake and over processed. Too bad as I really wanted to love this product.

Testing with-

Panasonic AE7000u
Sony PS3 Slim 2012 model
HK receiver
106" Elite screen

sitting 9ft away
post #4347 of 8321 Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Wondering if I could ask a favor of another Darbee owner. Would someone be willing to move their unit a little to see if they get a snow flash or drop out? I do and it's really bad if I touch where the power unit plugs into it. I wonder if I have a bad power supply.
post #4348 of 8321 Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Uh Oh...

This was posted over at the Shack...

"Kevin (Miller) had the opportunity to review the Darblett which he will post on HTS. Since a lot of owners on here use it, I figured I'd pass this info along."

"He said that the unit"... "causes massive edge enhancement, raises black level, and changes the orginal video source drastically."

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/hdtv-video-displays-processors/48747-elitepro-60x5fd-pro-70x5fd-discussion-thread-251.html#post556743

I know many, including myself, that have tested this device and found none of those issues, hmmm...

Why do I get the feeling something is about to hit the fan, it appears there is another movement on to discredit the Darblet.

Jason
post #4349 of 8321 Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Uh Oh...
This was posted over at the Shack...
"Kevin (Miller) had the opportunity to review the Darblett which he will post on HTS. Since a lot of owners on here use it, I figured I'd pass this info along."
"He said that the unit"... "causes massive edge enhancement, raises black level, and changes the orginal video source drastically."
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/hdtv-video-displays-processors/48747-elitepro-60x5fd-pro-70x5fd-discussion-thread-251.html#post556743
I know many, including myself, that have tested this device and found none of those issues, hmmm...
Why do I get the feeling something is about to hit the fan, it appears there is another movement on to discredit the Darblet.
Jason

Odd indeed. Edge enhancement (from the Darbee) is non existent to me.
post #4350 of 8321 Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

Darbee Darblet is here!
jEjVMl.jpg?1
and unfortunately its going back frown.gif
It just doesn't provide enough to warrant the $350. Watched several movies and used both HD, GAME and full POP. Going back and forth its either really apparent at >50% or too subtle at anything less.
With it on 50% it makes the picture too artificial for my tastes. In close up facial shots it makes people apear like they have aged 20 years by adding to much contrast to pores and wrinkles. And on outdoor scenes it doesn't do much other than boost black levels to a point that seem fake and over processed. Too bad as I really wanted to love this product.

I would take it back, plus you paid top dollar to boot.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page