Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #451 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 01:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My Darblet arrives tomorrow and, based on reports above, I'm looking forward to trying it out, although I remain highly concerned that the "do no harm" mantra of videophiles is being so quickly cast aside. However, I cannot ignore the positivity this device is generating and want to see it for myself.

I do have some long term concerns:

IF the Darblet becomes an essential part of my viewing setup is the lack of Darblet in other scenarios going to hurt my enjoyment, eg going to the cinema?

IF the Darblet becomes an essential part of my viewing it requires that the device be available forever moving forward - that's quite a gamble!

IF the user group decides the primary benefit of the Darblet is to artificially increase the MTF of devices such as LCOS to look like DLP, and this benefit is not required on sharp MTF devices, does that mean that the dimensionality aspects of the Darblet have failed to engage as surely these should be beneficial in high MTF devices as well? And yet some users are already reporting little or no benefit with high MTF devices.

IF the Darblet processing becomes universally accepted I can see a future where consumer media, and perhaps pro media, is "Darblet"ed at source meaning we will have the potential clash of double Darbletting and the headache of sorting out such clashes.

The lack of field updating is a real problem, as shown by the colourspace issue. I don't want to have to continually return a device for updates because, beyond the hassle involved, it would mean that I'd be without its processing for the duration of the turnaround... This pain is increased more so for us early adopting Guinea Pigs while the Darblet Buglets are ironed out...

I'll echo the calls of others for Darbee to talk to Lumagen about getting this processing inside their video processors. This would allow firmware updates, increase functionality and remove another HDMI handshake from the system.

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

If you call not reading over 420 posts lazy, sure... I just call it having a life.

Hi, Livin. It seems you have a healthy dose of skepticism about the Darblet. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure there are others who share it (myself included). However, I would hope it would be possible to want to see some real-world results and have your questions answered, without becoming confrontational or abrasive.

Quote:
There are many pages with many posts of non-relevant chit-chat within them, I scanned the thread, and read many of the posts - including the reviews I did find. The reviews are very much "it looked better" - yeah, that's useful.

I have to disagree with you there. I have read the 420 posts, and my sense was completely different than yours. What I saw were fairly detailed comments relating to the specific ways in which it looked better (or worse), dependent on the source material, and the output displays. As well as ranges of settings that impacted those results.

Quote:
the ONLY somewhat useful info is what you posted here... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet/30#post_21972093 -- but even that does not convince me the technology used is any different that what I get with my $20 ATI video card.

Does your $20 card have the ability to perform USM-type processing, on 8 MBs of image data, in real-time? If so, then you may be correct. smile.gif It's not impossible to perform DarbeeVision-type processing on video data, using PCs. They've been doing so for years with non-realtime rendering farms on some films. The question is what you can do in <17 mS.

Quote:
Any who thinks Patents make something good - or better than a similar process or device - is obviously NOT an engineer or scientist.

True. But I suspect the point that RonF was trying to make was that the DVP was not just another "sharpener", similar to those that came before it, but had some unique capabilities that set it apart, and warranted Patent protection.

Quote:
And that "Whitepaper" is an advertisement, NOT a whitepaper. An engineer would laugh (I did) when I read that. I know what a Whitepaper is, that is NOT EVEN CLOSE.

I have to agree with you that the WP had a distinctive advertising flavor to it. But I have to cut Paul a bit of slack, because it's not all that easy to try and describe the results of an imaging process in a way that folks can comprehend. He did wax lyrical a bit though. smile.gif

Quote:
Looking at everything post on the Darbee site and in this thread - and since Darbee has not published ANY TECHNICAL DATA on the process or even layman's terms to dispute my own conclusions

Did you read the Patent filing? There's a significant amount of tech detail there.

Quote:
- I'm concluding that a $20 video card from NVidia or ATI can do exactly what this does, and likely MUCH more such as different types of deinterlacing, denoise, etc.

Well, as far as the "much more", it's well known that it can do all that. It's even possible that using the GPUs on some video cards, the folks at DarbeeVision could come up with a DirectShow filter that incorporated their processing. I just don't know if it could be done in real-time. [see Addendum below.]

Re: HTPCs,
Quote:
Maybe not, I don't claim to know the breakdown of withs/withouts... I'm one with, and I know several thousand (from several forums) that do. Actually the claim to compare a video card to the darblet is exactly accurate... a full PC (which still can be had for less $ than the darblet) can do 10,000x more than the darblet... the darblet is actually LESS CAPABLE (features/functions) than a video card - the darblet is only a video processor.

You're missing the point that not only do not all folks have HTPCs, most don't. They have a collection of independent, outboard components, with interconnects. The DVP-5000 module fits in well in those configurations, while an HTPC would not. People can easily add a DVP-5000 to their system. The same statement cannot be made about HTPCs.

Quote:
Adding processing on top of processing is not a challenge at all... you'd provided ZERO data on what your device does to the frames, contrast, etc.
Again, check the Patent filing.

Quote:
I also love how the ONLY professional review you post on your forum does not even exist... DVn Wide Screen Review Feb 2012_gray.pdf ... I did a search for it on the web and it does not exist anywhere.

It might be worth looking again. The file does exist, because I just downloaded it. It's really more of a pre-review, from the New Equipment section of the February WSR (a CES report). However, Gary Reber has been provided with a test unit (about 4 weeks ago), and I expect we'll see a full review in WSR in the coming months.

Quote:
I have no idea what your background is other than what is posted on LinkedIn... but none of your posted work experience points or even hints at display technology.

Perhaps that's because Larry is the COO, not the CTO. He's taking his time to communicate with members of the AVS Forum, gather their suggestions and complaints, and provide as much information and answers as he can. I'd say he's doing a good job of it.

Quote:
With all of this and the huge lack of evidence that this device is anything but a different incarnation of what has existed for many years in cheap video cards...

?? If what you're referring to are peaking circuits, that boost HF content, then you are incorrect.

Quote:
- I advise people looking for "better PQ" to just get a cheap HTPC and tweak to your hearts desire.

With all due respect, that kind of advice is not very valuable. Beyond the many issues inherent in HTPCs that could result in a lot of grief for those unfamiliar with them, "tweaking to their hearts desire" is not really a very effective way to spend one's time. You indicated above that you "have a life", and no time for reading hundreds of comments. Fair enough. But that's completely at odds with your recommendation to spend a lot of time tweaking an HTPC. Many (most?) folks would rather just plug something in, and dial in the best setting.

Paul has spent literally years testing various algorithms and methodologies, in numerous combinations, to come up with a solution that a) provides enhancement capabilities while minimizing negative artifacts (a big win, unique to the Darbee process), and b) uses lightweight carefully-tuned algorithms that are implementable economically in existing real-time silicon. Even if someone stumbled across some tweaks with their HTPC and ffdshow to provide somewhat similar results, the number of hours required would greatly outweigh the costs of the stand-alone processor from DarbeeVision. And my guess is that while similar sharpening results may be obtainable, they would not be without increased artifacting (that the DVn avoids) that would negate the value of the increased detail.

Quote:
I'll conclude by saying I'm open to being wrong... but I've seen no evidence to make it so.

That's cool, but why put yourself in that position in the first place? It's easy enough to ask questions and seek clarification, without making bold proclamations without evidence, and having to eat crow later. wink.gif

Quote:
If someone wants to provide a sample I'll do a side-by-side comparison of the Darblet vs ATI/AMD and NVidia... on a 65" 1080p screen.

Or, you could just order a unit, try it, and then return it for a refund if your suspicions proved to be correct. And then provide some solid information based on real testing, vs. uninformed speculation. Just a thought.

~~ Addendum ~~

I checked the DarbeeVision site, and found that the Darbee transform algorithms WILL run on some NVidia GPUs:
Quote:
DVP™ processing on a GPU

DARBEE™ Visual Presence™ - GPU SOFTWARE
GPU firmware for Nvidia CUDA enabled GPUs.
Performance = "Knobless," automatic 1080iHD/60 processing in real time, 1080p/24 in real time, 1080pHD/60 gracefully dropping frames.

Note however, that it can't maintain real-time with 1080p/60, without frame-dropping. While the DVP-5000 can, because it has a dedicated FPGA.

- Tim
post #453 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaw81 View Post

Well the Darbee and my OPPO bdp-93 aren't playing nice with each other. The Darblet is causing my blacks to be grey. I've changed settings on the OPPO and lowered the intensity of the Darblet but get the same result. I have it conected to my Anthem MRX-300 and an the hdmi out going from the darblet to my projector and another hdmi cord to my Anthem. I remove the Darbee and the blacks are deep like they are supposed to be. I think I'm going to return the Darbee or sell it if someone wants it. It makes a nice difference but if it ruins my blacks it's not worth it to me. Any thoughts? I emailed OPPO and Darbee and sounds like a known issue according to Darbee.
>
Set the projector manually to standard HDMI range. It is apparently extended now.
post #454 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Set the projector manually to standard HDMI range. It is apparently extended now.

I just did that and got the same result. Didn't fix the issue frown.gif I had it set to auto before.
post #455 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

Lumanence range is known to sometimes be misreported. We are looking into a fix that will allow users to manually select the lumanence range, as an override.
-DD

Any timetable on that? I will probably have to return my unit.
post #456 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

On a scale of 1 to 10 for picture improvement, I give it a 27. For operational stability, I give it a minus 48. I have it placed after my Lumagen processor and before the projector. It apparently loses HDMI sync very easily. If I switch sources, the screen becomes filled with colorful horizontal lines. If I switch to bluray, I have to power off and on the Bluray player. If I switch from Bluray to DirecTV, turning the satellite receiver on and off does not fix the problem. Not sure what to do.
I find that kind of performance pretty unacceptable and certainly hope the company can address it quickly. I have recommended this product to a number of other folks but will stop doing so until a solution can be found and implemented.
I have my whole theater automated and to have to go into the equipment room and figure out what is wrong and then make the necessary changes sucks. While the unit only costs $250, it should not require me to do anything to use it once it is setup.
I hope the folks from Darbee will respond to this on-line

I have the Darbee placed between a Lumagen Radiance (422 out) and a 70" Elite. No handshake problems using a Tivo Premiere or an Oppo 83. I suggest you look to the projector as the source of the problem.
post #457 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

On a scale of 1 to 10 for picture improvement, I give it a 27. For operational stability, I give it a minus 48. I have it placed after my Lumagen processor and before the projector. It apparently loses HDMI sync very easily. If I switch sources, the screen becomes filled with colorful horizontal lines. If I switch to bluray, I have to power off and on the Bluray player. If I switch from Bluray to DirecTV, turning the satellite receiver on and off does not fix the problem. Not sure what to do.
I find that kind of performance pretty unacceptable and certainly hope the company can address it quickly. I have recommended this product to a number of other folks but will stop doing so until a solution can be found and implemented.
I have my whole theater automated and to have to go into the equipment room and figure out what is wrong and then make the necessary changes sucks. While the unit only costs $250, it should not require me to do anything to use it once it is setup.
I hope the folks from Darbee will respond to this on-line

No problems with switching sources on my Duo. Darbee between Duo and JVC RS1.
post #458 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

My Radiance is configured to output YCbCr 4:2:2 and my JVC RS60 was hard-coded to accept the same color space. The colors were way off when the Darblet was first inserted between those two devices. Changing the RS60's color space setting from YCbCr 4:2:2 to "Auto" resolved the wonky color issue.

Other than that, the Darblet shouldn't have caused the other symptoms you describe, especially after you removed it from the video chain. Leave the Darblet out of your system until you sort out the other issues. Connect the Radiance to the same input on the Mits that it used to be in (HDMI 4). Ensure that the Radiance is set to the proper output mode (1A ?) and output resolution. The Mits calibration might not apply to every input or for every resolution. For example, if your set was calibrated on Input 4 at 1080P resolution, I don't know if your set holds that calibration if you switch to HDMI 3 or if your Radiance is now outputting 480i. Perhaps the Mits calibration would "disappear" if the color space was changed? Try switching the Radiance output between YCbCr and RGB to see if that makes a difference. Power cycling the Mits might help. In any case, it's not a Darblet issue if you're still having problems when it's disconnected. Good luck!

I was sending 4:4:4 to the Darbee and my RS1 was set to auto. Colors at first didn't look wacky but the image was soft. I then realized the Darbee was telling the JVC it was sending RGB but I was using 4:4:4. Colors were off. Make sure you use RGB out from your VP to the Darbee. I then can use either auto or RGB settings on my JVC. Might be best to just force RGB on the Projector just in case but you still have to send Darbee RGB only. At least that's what I am finding with my setup. I want this fixed so I can go back to 4:4:4. My 3D projector loses color controls when in RGB although I have not tried it with my 3D projector yet.
post #459 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Seems like I have bad timing. I finally broke down and ordered a Darblet last week. It should arrive this week. But I'm using an OPPO Blu-ray player, a Lumagen processor and a JVC projector. From the sounds of this thread, that seems to be a perfect storm of equipment that causes HDMI handshake problems with the Darblet. frown.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #460 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Color Space - We give back what we get and invert perfectly. We are working to run the color reporting issue to ground with our HDMI code vendor.

-DD

Not so sure about this! When I send 4:4:4 in I don't get 4:4:4 out! Even when I force my RS1 to 4:4:4 color I get a green background. My Duo is sending 4:4:4. When I force RGB in and out all is well.
post #461 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Seems like I have bad timing. I finally broke down and ordered a Darblet last week. It should arrive this week. But I'm using an OPPO Blu-ray player, a Lumagen processor and a JVC projector. From the sounds of this thread, that seems to be a perfect storm of equipment that causes HDMI handshake problems with the Darblet. frown.gif

DD - Given the known color space & luminance range issues, might it be wise to put a hold on Darblet shipments until they can first be updated with firmware fixes? This wouldn't be as big an issue if folks could download updates to apply at home, but having to ship these back to the manufacturer is something that would be nice to avoid.

Josh - I have the same Oppo -> Lumagen -> JVC pj config. I doubt that you'll have problems as long as the color space setting in your pj is set to RGB or Auto (Input Signal menu -> HDMI -> Color Space).
post #462 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Quote:

Color Space - We give back what we get and invert perfectly. We are working to run the color reporting issue to ground with our HDMI code vendor.
-DD
Not so sure about this! When I send 4:4:4 in I don't get 4:4:4 out! Even when I force my RS1 to 4:4:4 color I get a green background. My Duo is sending 4:4:4. When I force RGB in and out all is well.
Does YCbCr 4:4:4 into Darblet and setting projector to RGB not work? Works for me.
post #463 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaw81 View Post

Quote:

I just did that and got the same result. Didn't fix the issue frown.gif I had it set to auto before.
You have exactly same (bad) black level with standard and extended range on the projector? Are you giving the Darblet YCbCr 4:4:4?
post #464 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does YCbCr 4:4:4 into Darblet and setting projector to RGB not work? Works for me.

It will function but colors are off. Darblet doesn't process color so you are not getting RGB out if feeding it 4:4:4.
post #465 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:

You have exactly same (bad) black level with standard and extended range on the projector? Are you giving the Darblet YCbCr 4:4:4?[/quote

Yes, I have my OPPO set to YCBR 4:4:4. I have the Epson hdmi range set to normal. I tried turning color space on the oppo to auto, and deep color to off and didn't change anything.
post #466 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I can report no handshaking issues with the Darblet. It came in the mail yesterday, and last night I put it in between a RadianceMini and Sony1000 projector. My Comcast dvr sends 4:4:4 (passed through an Onky 3008 avr) to the Radiance, which sends 4:4:2 through the Darblet to the pj; an Oppo 83 outputs 4:2:2 (since the Radiance says that it prefers 4:2:2 when possible). Again, everything worked just as it should. (The HDMI calbe from Radiance to Darblet is 3' long, and from the Darblet to pj 25' long.)

One further question: is it recommended to turn the Darblet off when one shuts the pj down, or can one just leave in 'on' all the time? (I leave the RadianceMini 'on' all the time, after checking with Lumagen that this has no problem.)
post #467 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill you can just leave it on. Larry responded a number of pages back the only way to "turn off" was pull the power connector, but it is meant to just be left on and draws very little power in standby. Eager to hear your thoughts on how 1080P with the Darbee processing looks when upscaled to your 4K.
post #468 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I can report no handshaking issues with the Darblet. It came in the mail yesterday, and last night I put it in between a RadianceMini and Sony1000 projector. My Comcast dvr sends 4:4:4 (passed through an Onky 3008 avr) to the Radiance, which sends 4:4:2 through the Darblet to the pj; an Oppo 83 outputs 4:2:2 (since the Radiance says that it prefers 4:2:2 when possible). Again, everything worked just as it should. (The HDMI calbe from Radiance to Darblet is 3' long, and from the Darblet to pj 25' long.)
One further question: is it recommended to turn the Darblet off when one shuts the pj down, or can one just leave in 'on' all the time? (I leave the RadianceMini 'on' all the time, after checking with Lumagen that this has no problem.)

Just check your projector and make sure your getting 4:2:2 and not RGB. At first I didn't think the colors were off until I looked a little closer. I didn't try 4:2:2 to my projector but my projectors color detail is rolled off using 4:2:2 so I stay away from it. Thing is using RGB means extra conversions that I don't want. The JVC is best sent 4:4:4.
post #469 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I am confused. I have no problems at all with color space. My bluray players sends YCbCr 4:4:4 to my 3d ready hdmi switcher and outputs YCbCr 4:4:4 to the Darblet and the Mitsubishi L75-A91 Laser TV is receiving YCbCr 4:4:4. Is the problem related to using multiple video processors? I see many are using a VP and then feeding that processed signal to the Darblet and then to the projector/ tv etc. If I go direct to the TV i get no change in color space. I go through just the darblet same thing no change. What I put in to the darblet i get out. I only use the Darblet for processing no other processing is in the mix at all.

Also I wish that I could update the Darblet at home man that would be awesome. Sending it out is buzzkill to say the least. I always update firmware on all my gear and never ever had a problem or bricked my equipment. Also I have not had a problem with my AC adapter but Dr-Darbee can you recommend a high end replacement that will work with the darblet perfectly that wont void warranty and will not harm anything. I am addicted to the image now that I have dialed it in and I have shown it to people and they are stunned to say the least,

I have tried to replicate on my high end pc gaming rig what the darblet does in regards to the poster that says the same result can be had with a 20 dollar video card. Well I have 2 of the highest cards you can buy right now GTX690 in sli with insane video and gaming power and unless I need some kind of 3rd party software it was an epic fail. First off bluray looks great also DVD looks great as well up-converted but not darblet great. So to the poster that believes this to be true. Please explain to me if you know I have the hardware (my PC specs are insane) why is the darblet superior? I am not getting in your face but look you come on here basically trolling. To be honest I'm offended because you have not used the item but you knock it anyway. I have been into home theater and high end gaming for 20 years plus and I have learned a lot in those years. I have been an early adopter of just about everything at one time or another so when you come on here and say what you said without owning the darblet or doing your own analysis and then giving your personal feedback that is ridiculous. Then you want someone to just send you one so you can test it- here is where you clearly fell of the face of the earth I read that and I was astounded by your arrogance. That's ridiculous and ignorant as hell to even say something like that. If you had bought a darblet and then made those comments OK to each there own. As with any product your mileage may vary. Plus you can get a refund. You know what seriously go troll somewhere else dude your comments hold no weight here and to be honest I do not want to waste my time even debating you or getting annoyed by your ridiculous comments. I know what the darblet does and I do not care what anyone says I own it and I love what it does.

Now back to my original point If I process the image with pc I get edge enhancement halos enhancement of macro-blocking etc and a very unrealistic overly sharpened mess. With the darblet I have none of that in fact when dialed in I have no halos its like a veil of softness gets lifted off of the image and every detail shines through especially facial details. I kid you not and I am anal about my image quality like many of us are on here. I have had perfect luck with this thing and I have no reason to amp this up i'm not getting paid to say this its the truth as I see it.
post #470 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Just check your projector and make sure your getting 4:2:2 and not RGB. At first I didn't think the colors were off until I looked a little closer. I didn't try 4:2:2 to my projector but my projectors color detail is rolled off using 4:2:2 so I stay away from it. Thing is using RGB means extra conversions that I don't want. The JVC is best sent 4:4:4.

I can tell that the Radiance is outputtinh 4:2:2 through the Darblet to the pj, but can't find in the Sony1000's menu where to see what it is receiving (I do see that it is getting 1080p).
post #471 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

^^^
Look in the Picture Menu -> Expert Setting menu. An x.v. Color option should be available if your pj is receiving YCbCr, but it's unavailable if the color space is RGB.

Thanks for the feedback. However when I go to 'Expert Settings', under 'Color Space' I have BT.709. The other options that are listed are DCI, Adobe RGB. ?
post #472 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

^^^
If you don't see an x.v. Color option it's because the pj is receiving RGB.
post #473 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post

Or, you could just order a unit, try it, and then return it for a refund if your suspicions proved to be correct. And then provide some solid information based on real testing, vs. uninformed speculation. Just a thought.

Good suggestion and you were a lot more cordial than I would have been.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #474 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The reason I am only getting RGB and others setups are working fine has something to do with the handshake between the Darblet and my JVC projector. My Duo works fine with the JVC in auto but not with the Darblet in between them. Even forcing 4:4:4 in the JVC doesn't force the Darblet to output 4:4:4. Other displays seem to work fine but just make sure you are not fooled like I was at first.
post #475 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

^^^
If you don't see an x.v. Color option it's because the pj is receiving RGB.

So the Darblet is receiving 4:2:2 from the Radiance and outputting RGB to the projector? This does need to be corrected, and from the posts I've read here, Darblee is working on dealing with this--right?

Any idea of whether or not the Darblet's FW could be upgraded via an internet connection, or a DVD disk, or would one have to mail it back?
post #476 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

In my experience the Darblet only outputs RGB. It doesn't matter whether you feed it RGB, YCbCr 422, YCbCr 444 - you always get RGB out. I believe the Darblet's EDID reports that it's outputting YCbCr 422 or whatever the input signal's color space is, but the EDID doesn't match what's really being output unless you feed it RGB. The Darbee folks are working the issue...
post #477 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

So everybody should be sending RGB through the Darblet!
post #478 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Unless you are seeing wonky colors (green screen), your display is processing the color space correctly - no worries. If you do see wonky colors however, either hard-code the display to process the signal as RGB or configure the source to output RGB.
post #479 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 167
TDiMura,

If you want people to read what you wrote, I suggest you make it more palatable pieces, i.e. paragraph breaks.

I for one took one look and skipped to the next post.

Noah
post #480 of 8188 Old 06-10-2012, 02:14 PM

So the oppo bdp-93's color space should be set to rgb and not ycbr 444 with use of the Darblet?
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page