Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #4861 of 8104 Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
From the last page......"IN YOUR OPINION IS IT BETTER (the darblet) THAN MY STATEMENT ABOVE?"

It is for most, if not all the darblet owners on this thread.....It's more than a 'slight improvement'. Buy and TRY!

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 8104 Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

"IN YOUR OPINION IS IT BETTER THAN MY STATEMENT ABOVE?"
It is for most, if not all the darblet owners on this thread.....It's more than a 'slight improvement'. Buy and TRY!

I probably will do it. My insides keep pulling at me: Buy, Buy, Buy

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #4863 of 8104 Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

I probably will do it. My insides keep pulling at me: Buy, Buy, Buy

You might want to buy from an online seller, like Amazon, that offers 30 day return.
post #4864 of 8104 Old 12-01-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
People buy entire new displays for a "slight" improvement in pq.

I got my Darblet at the Black Friday sale price. To me, it is well worth the price paid, and would be worth the regular retail price.

The "clean screen" effect and the additional detail the device shows is often startling - especially with close-up shots. Background textures also take on a very "real" appearance, rather than just being a part of the scenery.
post #4865 of 8104 Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

$319.00 is a lot of money for a slight improvement that has to be seen by flipping the Dardee off and on to see the difference.

In your opinion is it better than my statement above?

Only you can decide what you consider to be a lot of money for your budget and finances, but in this hobby, $300 is very reasonable for something that provides a discernable improvement.

Is the difference subtle? Yes. That's a good thing. You don't want it to severely distort and exaggerate the picture. The Darblet does what many of us have paid considerably more money for in the past when upgrading from display to display. It provides that little bit of extra boost to the picture quality without any noticeable negative side effects. It's akin to upgrading your TV or projector to the next model up, but at a price of just over $300.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #4866 of 8104 Old 12-01-2012, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck22 View Post

I got my Darbee yesterday and I noticed there was a piece of plastic rattling around inside the case. It looks to be about 1/4 inch square and seems to be made out of the same material as the case. Not sure what to do about it. I'm afraid the piece will come to rest against a hot component and melt. I guess I can look at the bright side, at least it wasn't a glob of metal. Any suggestions ? I sent a note to support at Darbee to see what they have to say about it.

LOL I have the same issue and thought the same thing?
post #4867 of 8104 Old 12-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Where is the Darbee actually made? China?

Also, after ordering and the Darbee does not work with my system, does AVS accept returns?

m

Samsung PN64F8500
post #4868 of 8104 Old 12-01-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Anyone using one with either of the late model Vizios, the 60" or 70"? I'd be interested to hear the conventional wisdom of using one with lower end/entry level TVs.

I got the 70" cheap enough that I could see springing for it if it'd make a solid noticeable improvement.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #4869 of 8104 Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Received the Darblet I ordered on Black Friday. Kudos to Mike at AVS... I ordered the afternoon of Black Friday and it was here in Ontario, Canada by Wednesday of the next week thanks to his prompt shipping!

Just hooked up the Darblet to my Mitsubishi HC4000 and it's exactly as I expected it would be. As other posters have pointed out, the effect on the image can be subtle (or not so subtle if you let loose on Full Pop mode biggrin.gif), but it's definitely like taking a shammy to a grimy window.

I tested it out on a huge range of content, from 1080p/720p to old ripped DVDs, Divx files, etc. It can do more harm than good with SD or poor source material - like those 10 year old Divx files I have lingering around that I ought to just get rid of. However, I think that the key with SD content is to just notch the Darbee up a little past it being off. Some extra detail is better than nothing!

The new Blu-ray transfer of Lawrence of Arabia looked amazing! Same with the remake of Total Recall and animated content like Tintin, but I was really impressed with some of the foreign/art house type films I have. The European stuff tends to have a lot of facial close ups and great composition overall - Oslo 31 August (Norwegian) and Control (British B&W) looked fantastic!

I fear the day that this thing dies after using it in my setup long-term; I'd never be able to go back!

Mitsubishi HC4000/Elite Screens 120" SableFrame CineWhite/Darbee Darblet/WDTV LIVE HUB/WD MYBOOK LIVE NAS
post #4870 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

$319.00 is a lot of money for a slight improvement that has to be seen by flipping the Dardee off and on to see the difference.

In your opinion is it better than my statement above?

m

Don't agree it's slight, don't agree $300 is too much for what it does. Subtle doesn't mean slight. A slight improvement is turning the Darbee up just a couple of notches. A subtle improvement is turning it up to where most seem to be around 50%. But even at subtle, some scenes are actually WOW - close up of faces, foliage. I think some are thinking of subtle in the negative - like it doesn't do all that much. We are using subtle as it does quite alot but still keeping the picture real, not distorted or artifacts everywhere. I am not aware of anything else available to us that does what the Darbee can do. It's a combination of looking clearer and sharper, with the emphasis on clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Anyone using one with either of the late model Vizios, the 60" or 70"? I'd be interested to hear the conventional wisdom of using one with lower end/entry level TVs.
I got the 70" cheap enough that I could see springing for it if it'd make a solid noticeable improvement.

I think it was mentioned before, what you are asking really won't matter. It may act differently with different types, as in Plasma to LCD to Projector, but within each catagory what TV isn't going to make much or any difference. It's the material being watched that matters, it needs to be HD for a real improvement, and the better PQ of the material the better Darbee works. I also would say size matters... the larger the screen perhaps the more improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funstuff View Post

I fear the day that this thing dies after using it in my setup long-term; I'd never be able to go back!
Just how I feel!
mogrub likes this.
post #4871 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa8 View Post

Don't agree it's slight, don't agree $300 is too much for what it does. Subtle doesn't mean slight. A slight improvement is turning the Darbee up just a couple of notches. A subtle improvement is turning it up to where most seem to be around 50%. But even at subtle, some scenes are actually WOW - close up of faces, foliage. I think some are thinking of subtle in the negative - like it doesn't do all that much. We are using subtle as it does quite alot but still keeping the picture real, not distorted or artifacts everywhere. I am not aware of anything else available to us that does what the Darbee can do. It's a combination of looking clearer and sharper, with the emphasis on clearer.

I think it was mentioned before, what you are asking really won't matter. It may act differently with different types, as in Plasma to LCD to Projector, but within each catagory what TV isn't going to make much or any difference. It's the material being watched that matters, it needs to be HD for a real improvement, and the better PQ of the material the better Darbee works. I also would say size matters... the larger the screen perhaps the more improvement.

Just how I feel!

I am convinced. Tomorrow I will be ordering the Darbee plus a short HDMI cable. I like "clearer"

Samsung PN64F8500
post #4872 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 18
I won one on the Home Theater Cruise! I can't wait to get it!

This is something I have wanted for awhile!

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #4873 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post

Damn, you lucky dog. I knew I should have taken that cruise

Samsung PN64F8500
post #4874 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

ARC is working for you? Everyone who has brought up ARC post-Darblet has said the feature doesn't work with the Darblet in the chain.

Yes I read/heard about these issues with ARC as well. Everything is working fine for me: Sony XBR-60LX900/Denon 3311CI . I connected the Darbee in-between the TV ARC and Denon ARC. No issues with 3D or ARC.

LB
post #4875 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

My Cyber Monday Darbee just showed up from AVS yea! I thought a 4' HDMI cable was included does it ship separately as I didn't get one?
Never mind, showed up later in a separate package.
I'm still working my way through this thread but have a question about the IR input. Will it work with a Xantech powered block? I see above that giomania had issues with Niles. Don't want to blow up the Darbee before I even start.

obie_fl: I ordered mine from Amazon.com with Black Friday pricing too, but never got an 4' HDMI cable. Where did you buy your Darbee from AVS directly?

LB
post #4876 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Same here, bought several on Amazon during BF sale but didn't receive any HDMI cable

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #4877 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

I'm interested to hear your comments regarding the VT50. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Just received my Darbee today. Plugged into my Sony XBR-60LX900 (LED) and was up and running in a few short minutes. Everything seems to be working fine to include 3D, ARC, HDMI Control etc. I am viewing DirecTV and Blu-ray. The Darbee effect is clearly visible. Like someone else mentioned earlier, setting Darbee to 75% Hi Def seems to be optimal for my TV too. Next up is to connect to my Panny VT50 to see the effect on a plasma.

I just hooked up the Darbee to my 55" VT50 configuration which includes VT50/Yamaha YHT-S401 Sound Bar/DirectTV HD DVR. My VT50 has NOT been calibrated professionally, am using Cnet's David Katzmaier's VT50 settings and have about 300 hours on the TV.

First impression using DirecTV satellite 1080i signal and the Darbee in between the Yamaha YHT-S401 and the TV:
-I definitely see the Darbee effect.
-I need more time with this as my VT50 utilizing Katzmaier's settings always seemed to be a bit noisy for background objects to me. E.g. face dots on faces in the background of a scene but no noise on faces that are in the foreground ( if that makes sense) . The Darbee effect appears to increase the background noise somewhat, but am still experimenting.
-ARC on the Yamaha YHT-S401 does not seem to be working correctly with the Darbee in between the Receiver and the TV ARC ports. My Receiver doesn't turn on using the VT50 remote but does turn off.
-No problem using the Harmony One remote and the Darbee; all component's ARC functions work as expected

LB
post #4878 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Last night my wife and I watched Snow White and the Huntsman Blu-ray, rented from Netflix. I notice a lot of noise artifacts on several close-up scenes, but was unable to play with the settings of the two Darblet's I have in series to see if I could mitigate the artifacts. I checked on the Blu-ray review at High-Def Digest, and they said the video quality was fantastic. Did anyone see this movie and notice any artifacts with the Darblet in the mix?
I wish I could have played around, but it is just not easy. I am unable to control one unit at a time remotely, so I have to get up and go make the changes manually. With my wife in the room, that was not possible. When the movie was finished, it was late. Today, I have to babysit our toddler, so I don't have time to pop the disc in, wait 20 minutes to get to the menu, find a scene, and play with settings.

Anyway, if anyone has any input, I would appreciate it. I realize this is just part of the Darbee Vision technology, as explained by DarbeeDr, but was wondering if this disc is especially adept at "tricking" the Darblet.

Thanks.

Mark

Last night I watched Men In Black 3, and noticed a lot of noise artifacts (or is it film grain) in many of the scenes. Again, I was watching with my wife, and could not experiment with the Darblet settings. However, I own the disc, and can look again in the future. First, I would like to know if anyone noticed it; black snow on a blue sky, for instance. Since it was pretty common throughout the film, I did not take note of any time stamps. I think it may just be film grain. Hopefully it is not my setup.

Thanks.

Mark
post #4879 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

obie_fl: I ordered mine from Amazon.com with Black Friday pricing too, but never got an 4' HDMI cable. Where did you buy your Darbee from AVS directly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Same here, bought several on Amazon during BF sale but didn't receive any HDMI cable

I ordered direct from AVS on Cyber Monday, their Amazon listing was gone by then.

ETA: In case your wondering what you missed it is a nice Monoprice 4ft high speed 24 gauge cable shown here.
post #4880 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post

Scott congrats! Works very well with Dish HD and even better with blu ray.
post #4881 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Last night I watched Men In Black 3, and noticed a lot of noise artifacts (or is it film grain) in many of the scenes. Again, I was watching with my wife, and could not experiment with the Darblet settings. However, I own the disc, and can look again in the future. First, I would like to know if anyone noticed it; black snow on a blue sky, for instance. Since it was pretty common throughout the film, I did not take note of any time stamps. I think it may just be film grain. Hopefully it is not my setup.
Thanks.
Mark
I have a Darbee and watched the sd dvd version of Men In black 3 and saw no film grain and felt the pq was amazing and as good a reference disc for the darbee as i have seen.I have a samsung 55 8500 that is professionally calibrated and i used the Oppo 83 dvd player connected to darbee and then directly to the display.My darbee is set at gaming 46.

Matt
post #4882 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
Mark

I have MIB3, but didn't take it for a spin with the Darblet. Will do soon.

However, I did try it with your other problem disc - Snow White and the Hunstmen - and can confirm the image was definitely grainy, with the Darblet on or off. It's been a while since I watched it (without the Darblet); I assumed it was one of those films that was naturally noisy/grainy to begin with. There's a great scene where Snow White is confronted by the Troll in the woods... I did a lot of Darblet demo'ing here. The scales/detail on the Troll's face and body were really enhanced!

Mitsubishi HC4000/Elite Screens 120" SableFrame CineWhite/Darbee Darblet/WDTV LIVE HUB/WD MYBOOK LIVE NAS
post #4883 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
To some of you who have ordered from Amazon or wherever and wondering about the hdmi cable you thought should be part of the kit. There was one company including an extra cable as a promo. The actual kit does not include one, nor does AVS. I ordered through Amazon and AVScience--you can also order direct through AVScience. Vendors using Amazon have to honor the Amazon 30 day return policy, which that vendor does not have to do if you order directly from that vendor's website--ie. they could require a restocking charge if ordered directly. I've used the Amazon return policy before and had no problem at all. Always check the vendor's website direct ordering return policy if you are concerned.

As for grain and noise using the Darbee. I've tried all the modes and Game and more so, Pop, deliver the most noise and grain gain--in effect they enhance it because they do more contrast/edge gain. HD seems the best for movies and appears to do some noise suppression as well. Just my humble viewing opinion so far.
post #4884 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
widerscreen,
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one to have this "feature":-) So are you hoping the plastic piece is in a safe spot and using your darbee ? I haven't tried mine yet (but dying to do so)
post #4885 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

I e-mailed Darbee stating:

I am seriously considering ordering the Darbee but before I do, I have a question.

Will you be coming out soon with a product upgrade? Not a firmware upgrade but a product upgrade?

One that will have a greater cost, better case, better connections, etc.?

Following is their reply:

Our product road map for 2013 will be well defined and parts of it announced, perhaps by CES 2013.

Nothing I can tell you now.

Larry

Do I buy now or wait until CES?

m

Samsung PN64F8500
post #4886 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

m

Frankly, had I thought about it, I would have waited. It could be why they discounted the current version during Black Friday and other days. While I doubt if it will be cheaper, my guess is there will be some type of improvement, or possibly a new combined model that has multiple Darbees within the same unit. That would make sense since many on this board have daisy chained them successfully and like the results.

Or they might end up dumping the current model for much less as they introduce the new model and you could get one cheaper. Who knows, but my guess is some people who bought this in the past two months are going to be very upset if there is an improved model for the same price coming in Jan or Feb. There better be an upgrade path, or h-ell have no fury like an video guy scorned.
post #4887 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I wouldn't feel that way, and I bought one. If a company didn't offer improvements as their R&D evolved, we'd never progress at the end user level. Sometimes those improvements mean we come out of our pockets time and again. I won't deny there's a logic to that kind of business model, but it's to be expected. I wonder who came up with the term Mk II?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #4888 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I e-mailed Darbee stating:
I am seriously considering ordering the Darbee but before I do, I have a question.

Will you be coming out soon with a product upgrade? Not a firmware upgrade but a product upgrade?

One that will have a greater cost, better case, better connections, etc.?
Following is their reply:
Our product road map for 2013 will be well defined and parts of it announced, perhaps by CES 2013.
Nothing I can tell you now.
Larry

m

I am happy with this purchase as is. The darbee has certainly enhanced PQ on my 2010 Sony XBR LED TV. I am not yet sure about the Darbee effect on my new Panny Plasma VT50 though. While I observed a significant effect on the VT50 am still experimenting with the settings.

LB
post #4889 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Frankly, had I thought about it, I would have waited. It could be why they discounted the current version during Black Friday and other days. While I doubt if it will be cheaper, my guess is there will be some type of improvement, or possibly a new combined model that has multiple Darbees within the same unit. That would make sense since many on this board have daisy chained them successfully and like the results.
Or they might end up dumping the current model for much less as they introduce the new model and you could get one cheaper. Who knows, but my guess is some people who bought this in the past two months are going to be very upset if there is an improved model for the same price coming in Jan or Feb. There better be an upgrade path, or h-ell have no fury like an video guy scorned.

I just bought one and sure if they came out with a new model in a month or two that is a noticeable upgrade, I might be irked by the timing, but I'm certainly not upset that they are actively making the product better. It would go a long way for customer relations if - given that the version 1 and version 2 Darblets would have been launched so close to each other - Darbee offers some sort of discount or rebate to customers who can prove they purchased product 1 and are ordering product 2.

I wouldn't count it as a complete loss to buy product 2, because I can always toss product 1 into my setup on a TV somewhere in the house. For someone that has just one display, I could see it being a bit of a kick where it really hurts.

post #4890 of 8104 Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Old story: At which point in time do you stop waiting, and buy and enjoy? There will always be newer, greater, and cheaper.
How many of us bought the LOL Extended Blu-ray for $69, only to find lately it's been selling for less than $40?
When I first got into the Electronics business, there were major changes every 2 years. Now it's 6 months! Is Consumers Reports now usless? By the time they purchase, test and get out to print, a bulk of the Models are now redundant!
January's CES New Models, usually don't show for at least 6 months, in which time, they've either been dropped, or cheapened due to pricing concerns, only now dropped from consideration because the consumers no longer like the cheaper version.
It's called competitiion. Each Manufacturer trying to out do the other. So buy and enjoy. And when the wife isn't looking, sneak in the New Model!
Re: the Darbee - from what I've read in this Forum, a bulk of the Members are happy with their purchase. If something newer and better comes out, move the older model down onto the wife's TV!
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page