post #5401 of 8050 Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa8 View Post

What isn't working on your unit?
Can only use rgb colourspace and it lost sync 2 times during a movie yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 8050 Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I picked up the Darbee Darblet DVP 5000 a couple weeks ago. I wanted to play around with it a bit before giving some thoughts on it.

I must say, it does a great job of adding sharpness to the projected image on my Panasonic AE8000U that I hadn't seen before. You can see this especially with things like hair, the strands become much more visible and defined.

It also appears to affect the contrast of images. This is especially true with the animated movies out there. They really seem to pop now. The ability to dial it in is also nice.

The only downside I've really seen is that you want to play around with it before each movie to see which settings work the best.

I'm definitely keeping the Darbee Darblet and making it a permanent link in the chain.

I was going to post some screenshots, but the DarbeeVision website does a much better job and has lots of images that you can see how it affects the images.

I also watched Polar Express in 3D with my daughter. I finally got around to getting my PS3 hooked up into the D-Box too. So we were able to experience 3D plus the motion platform. It really brought us into the movie. The only thing we were missing was smellavision.
tampa8 likes this.
post #5403 of 8050 Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM

From what I understand now the darblet convert to rgb internally so there is still a conversion being made.

Then there isn¨t really a benefit pq wise running the darblet in other colourspaces or is it?

It does its magic in rgb so no complaints there, just thougt pq might be even better in 4:2:2...

Should I leave the update thoughts? Does handshake improve if I set rgb all the way and not auto? oppo-103 to denon vp to darblet to jvc x70.
Have to restart denon vp or denon avr sometimes to get sync in beginning of films.

Had jvc oppo 93 to denon vp to darblet to jvc x30 before and worked fine.
post #5404 of 8050 Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 13
Hi, just picked up the Darbee today and connected and will not sync or handshake properly, I have a problem with my comcast box handshake with the Darbee i believe, It is working properly with the blu ray player although the handshake seems to take longer than usual.With the comcast the screen keeps flashing and has a message that my display is compromised.Using the Darbee with a Marantz, sony 50es projector and my comcast box. Can anyone offer some advice.
post #5405 of 8050 Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Some New Darbee deals that were e-mailed to me.

http://www.curtpalme.com/Darbee.shtm
post #5406 of 8050 Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

Mine has been powered up since the first week of May last year. I wouldn't be concerned about disconnecting power.

That's good to hear. I guess it bothers me that all the Darblet LEDs are lit, even when all my gear is powered down. Red, blue and green remain active.

Jeff
post #5407 of 8050 Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM
g4s

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by .jss designs View Post

That's good to hear. I guess it bothers me that all the Darblet LEDs are lit, even when all my gear is powered down. Red, blue and green remain active.
You can turn all the LED's off in the settings. That's one of the first things I did with mine.
post #5408 of 8050 Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by .jss designs View Post

Normally, all LED's are lit when the unit is set to its factory defaults. Have you changed the settings?
post #5409 of 8050 Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post

Hi, just picked up the Darbee today and connected and will not sync or handshake properly, I have a problem with my comcast box handshake with the Darbee i believe.

I don't know anything specifically about the comcast box, but check to be sure it is set to pass video natively, not up-convert to 1080p.

Jeff
post #5410 of 8050 Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Full review with a lot of pictures is online :

http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/353-Darbee-DVP5000-0.html

translation :

http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/353-Darbee-DVP5000-0.html
post #5411 of 8050 Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Hi, just picked up the Darbee today and connected and will not sync or handshake properly, I have a problem with my comcast box handshake with the Darbee i believe, It is working properly with the blu ray player although the handshake seems to take longer than usual.With the comcast the screen keeps flashing and has a message that my display is compromised.Using the Darbee with a Marantz, sony 50es projector and my comcast box. Can anyone offer some advice.

What model Cable box? I recall other people having problems with specific Comcast cable boxes.

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

post #5412 of 8050 Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

What model Cable box? I recall other people having problems with specific Comcast cable boxes.
Yep, i recall as well, they had to get the cable company to swap out the box I think. Search this thread for your model.
post #5413 of 8050 Old 01-24-2013, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm new to this discussion but from what I've read so far, can't all of these "enhancements" be achieved with FFDshow?
post #5414 of 8050 Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Yep, i recall as well, they had to get the cable company to swap out the box I think. Search this thread for your model.

I have a 3400 series comcast box, Larry from Darblet contacted me yesterday and told me to either switch out the box or try a reset. Reset did not make a difference so I have been meaning to switch out the box anyways, i will try that today, otherwise it appears there is no fix for it. I also was getting some problems while watching blu ray, i was loosing the picture once in awhile and getting a purple streak across the screen.
post #5415 of 8050 Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

I'm new to this discussion but from what I've read so far, can't all of these "enhancements" be achieved with FFDshow?

??? That's a codec package for a computer? That has been discontinued. (Now Tryouts is taking it's place) - It is something only someone who is deep into codecs is going to use, and does not appear to have much of anything to do with what a Darbee does for HDMI connected video. Other than that, sure.... smile.gif
post #5416 of 8050 Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
Quote:

I have a 3400 series comcast box, Larry from Darblet contacted me yesterday and told me to either switch out the box or try a reset. Reset did not make a difference so I have been meaning to switch out the box anyways, i will try that today, otherwise it appears there is no fix for it. I also was getting some problems while watching blu ray, i was loosing the picture once in awhile and getting a purple streak across the screen.

I have a DCX3400 Moto, but with TWC, no issues with the Darbee here. So must be how Comcast is programing the box I guess.

Just an FYI.
post #5417 of 8050 Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Posted by buckley44

What is the Marantz product you are using in your system?

I had the exact same issue when attempting to run HDMI switching through the Marantz Av-8003. Same message as well.
Cable company came switched out the box, same problem, reset, same problem.
It is not the cable box it is how the Darbee and Marantz do not mesh via HDMI.

After much fussing around I ended up with a compromise. No Darbee on Blu ray.
I run straight from the Oppo to the main display via HDMI.

The cable box goes through Darbee then a splitter to the TV's in the home, all Darbee'd.
No HDMI switching is performed by the Marantz now unfortunately.

It wont work routed through the Marantz. I am still awaiting a reply from Marantz on this issue however.
I think I will be waiting a while.
post #5418 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

??? That's a codec package for a computer? That has been discontinued. (Now Tryouts is taking it's place) - It is something only someone who is deep into codecs is going to use, and does not appear to have much of anything to do with what a Darbee does for HDMI connected video. Other than that, sure.... smile.gif

OK first of all...

A)FFDshow has not been discontinued

B)You do NOT need to be "deep into codecs" to use it

C)FFDshow and this Darbee thing share plenty of features in common. Tweaking and enhancing the picture's sharpness, color, contrast, brightness, and overall fidelity of the image are among them.

With FFDshow being 100% free and this Darbee thing costing upwards of $400, again I ask, why buy this instead of simply downloading FFDshow and using it with your favorite media player? It's a no brainer decision IMO.
post #5419 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I thought the Darbee used a proprietary process to achieve an increase in perceived sharpness that is different from other devices?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5420 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

With FFDshow being 100% free and this Darbee thing costing upwards of $400, again I ask, why buy this instead of simply downloading FFDshow and using it with your favorite media player? It's a no brainer decision IMO.

OK I'll feed the troll... First of all most people here have paid closer to $300 many of us less then that. Now where exactly do I plug this "free" FFDshow into my video chain? To me you are comparing apples to broccoli. A piece of hardware vs a piece of software. As has been previously stated the Darbee uses a proprietary algorithm. Is there a filter similar in FFDshow? I have no idea but they are two entirely different things.

OK a direct answer to your question... because many of use don't want a complicated HTPC setup and we want to easily connect a device that we can use with all our video sources that requires little to no intervention once installed.
post #5421 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

What is the Marantz product you are using in your system?

I had the exact same issue when attempting to run HDMI switching through the Marantz Av-8003. Same message as well.
Cable company came switched out the box, same problem, reset, same problem.
It is not the cable box it is how the Darbee and Marantz do not mesh via HDMI.

After much fussing around I ended up with a compromise. No Darbee on Blu ray.
I run straight from the Oppo to the main display via HDMI.

The cable box goes through Darbee then a splitter to the TV's in the home, all Darbee'd.
No HDMI switching is performed by the Marantz now unfortunately.

It wont work routed through the Marantz. I am still awaiting a reply from Marantz on this issue however.
I think I will be waiting a while.

I'm using a Matantz 8801, it works thru the Marantz on blu ray but when i put the comcast in the chain with the Darbee and the Marantz it does not like it at all. The comcast will work with the Darbee and the projector but as soon as i switch it back to the Marantz the screen just flashes on and off.
post #5422 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Quote:

OK I'll feed the troll... First of all most people here have paid closer to $300 many of us less then that. Now where exactly do I plug this "free" FFDshow into my video chain? To me you are comparing apples to broccoli. A piece of hardware vs a piece of software. As has been previously stated the Darbee uses a proprietary algorithm. Is there a filter similar in FFDshow? I have no idea but they are two entirely different things.

OK a direct answer to your question... because many of use don't want a complicated HTPC setup and we want to easily connect a device that we can use with all our video sources that requires little to no intervention once installed.

+1
post #5423 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys.... Apples and Broccoli is exactly correct. They do not do the same thing at all.
And for the Record the FFDShow was indeed discontinued - or perhaps better said no longer supported or being worked on. It was renewed by Tryout, the new name. "The ffdshow tryouts project is a fork of the original ffdshow project. This fork was created by a group of members at Doom9.org. The last modification to the source code of the original project was done back in May 2006. The ffdshow tryouts project has continued where the original project stopped:

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/
post #5424 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by batborsen View Post

And the owner pays for one way shipping I suppose? or return shipping to? The least they can do when its their responsibilty to have a working product in the first place...

For what its worth, when I had a repair/replacement issue with mine, Darbee paid for shipping both ways and were very prompt about turnaround time. As for fimrware, this is not the only product that does not have at home upgrades. My denon receiver from just last year cannot be updated unless sent in on my dime. The fact of the matter is, I bought the product knowing its abilities and don't feel entitled to future features that may come. As long as it functions as it did when purchased, I don't really feel like I deserve anything more. Woud it be nice, of course it would. Unfortunately, there are costs associated with such features that would definitely be passed on to the end user. I really don't know what else people would really want from the unit that isn't already limited by the hardware? The only thing I wish they implemented was a couple of presets on the remote for specific settings. Ie, I watch animated blu rays on a higher hd setting (between 70-90) than I do on regular live action content (40-70). I would have liked them to have buttons I could press to go right to, say hd 80, instead of me having to toggle it up maually. Again, there are no buttons on the remote for it, so its not something a firmware could help with anyway. Overall, I am pleased with the Darbee as is.
post #5425 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm using a Matantz 8801, it works thru the Marantz on blu ray but when i put the comcast in the chain with the Darbee and the Marantz it does not like it at all. The comcast will work with the Darbee and the projector but as soon as i switch it back to the Marantz the screen just flashes on and off.

Yup same as me. To a tee.

Why not drop Marantz tech an email or phone call to let them know I am not the only one having issues with their processor.
Had you been using HDMI switching on the Marantz previous to the purchase of Darbee?
I personally was not but now wish that feature was active.
post #5426 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsdsmith View Post

For what its worth, when I had a repair/replacement issue with mine, Darbee paid for shipping both ways and were very prompt about turnaround time. As for fimrware, this is not the only product that does not have at home upgrades. My denon receiver from just last year cannot be updated unless sent in on my dime. The fact of the matter is, I bought the product knowing its abilities and don't feel entitled to future features that may come. As long as it functions as it did when purchased, I don't really feel like I deserve anything more. Woud it be nice, of course it would. Unfortunately, there are costs associated with such features that would definitely be passed on to the end user. I really don't know what else people would really want from the unit that isn't already limited by the hardware? The only thing I wish they implemented was a couple of presets on the remote for specific settings. Ie, I watch animated blu rays on a higher hd setting (between 70-90) than I do on regular live action content (40-70). I would have liked them to have buttons I could press to go right to, say hd 80, instead of me having to toggle it up maually. Again, there are no buttons on the remote for it, so its not something a firmware could help with anyway. Overall, I am pleased with the Darbee as is.

Sounds like something you can create a macro for, if you have a remote control that supports making them. Maybe there is a discrete command list available?
post #5427 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Harmony can learn commands, I do not know if it can learn Darbee commands. Good Idea.
post #5428 of 8050 Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Harmony can learn commands, I do not know if it can learn Darbee commands. Good Idea.

Darblet is already in the harmony device database as DVP-500.
lees23 likes this.
post #5429 of 8050 Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

Yup same as me. To a tee.

Why not drop Marantz tech an email or phone call to let them know I am not the only one having issues with their processor.
Had you been using HDMI switching on the Marantz previous to the purchase of Darbee?
I personally was not but now wish that feature was active.

Yes the Marantz was doing HDMI switching before i was using the Darbee, This is very frustrating, my friend and I ordered ours together and he has no problems what so ever, he is using onkyo, direct tv. Think i might be sending mine back, no one seems to have a solution for the problem.I would of liked to used it with other sources other than just blu ray for the money we spent on it...
post #5430 of 8050 Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
That's no better deal than most everyone else has. In fact, I'd recommend purchasing thru AVS at the same price to support the forum.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page