Darbee vision darblet - Page 187 - AVS Forum
First ... 185  186  187 188  189  ... Last
Video Processors > Darbee vision darblet
grizimes's Avatar grizimes 10:05 AM 02-19-2013
Loving my Darbee, had it for a few months now, use it with a Yamaha RXV-671. I run all my components ((XBOX 360, Panny Blu Ray, and Pace DVR from Insight) into the Yammy ARC output to a Sony XBR4. I have never had issues with the Darblet. ARC seems to work fine with my unit. Only issue I've had is on occasion when I switch inputs, audio may not come out instantly, I have to switch back to the input for it to work. Not a real issue for me...

trailblazer's Avatar trailblazer 03:04 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

Review February 2013

1.+ Re calibration,(long overdue anyway) has solved this issue and Darbee at any but the highest setting does not affect the whites blooming but only improves the image.
2.- Yes agree, more of what is present within the image with Darbee engaged is presented and enhanced for better or worse.
3.+ Big yes.
4. Neither + or - I still concur with my first reaction. Still images are strikingly different and better via Darbee, I do not see that same striking in your face difference on moving images.

5. Neither + or - Same no 3D. I do not know what that gushing editor Gary Reber of widescreen review was doing prior to his review of this product that day but there is no 3D effect with this product .
6.+ I am now positively sure that the Darbee treated images are more satisfying to view, deep and richer than untreated images. Easily seen.
7.Neither + or - True.
8. Neither + or - Although this is again true.

But that is just for two pair of glasses. Also the 3D hardware purchase is restricted to 3D material only and 3D sources are pricey compared to their non 3D counterparts.
Only two people are included in this scenario, extra glasses $100.00 a pop. Batteries are $$$ that do not last long.
So 3D delivers more bang but less accessibility and versatility as the Darbee improves all images presented for all viewers. You cant have a 3D movie on for 8 and have two pair of glasses handy.

Out of my eight initial observations, 3 are positive.
For the increase in perception alone #3 supplied by this product is worth the price.
I am pleased with the purchase although there have been unforeseen HDMI compatibility issues that unfortunately will remain unresolved.
The HDMI compatibility issues with Darbee apparently only affect Marantz product.

I have a Marantz AV8003 outputting to the Darbee which outputs to an Epson 1080 Pro Projector and have not had any issues with the Marantz.
What kind of issues are you experiencing?
kiwi2000's Avatar kiwi2000 04:41 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Quote:
Posted by buckley44

Hi, just picked up the Darbee today and connected and will not sync or handshake properly, I have a problem with my comcast box handshake with the Darbee i believe, It is working properly with the blu ray player although the handshake seems to take longer than usual.With the comcast the screen keeps flashing and has a message that my display is compromised.Using the Darbee with a Marantz, sony 50es projector and my comcast box. Can anyone offer some advice.
Quote:
What is the Marantz product you are using in your system?

I had the exact same issue when attempting to run HDMI switching through the Marantz Av-8003. Same message as well.
Cable company came switched out the box, same problem, reset, same problem.
It is not the cable box it is how the Darbee and Marantz do not mesh via HDMI.

After much fussing around I ended up with a compromise. No Darbee on Blu ray.
I run straight from the Oppo to the main display via HDMI.

The cable box goes through Darbee then a splitter to the TV's in the home, all Darbee'd.
No HDMI switching is performed by the Marantz now unfortunately.

It wont work routed through the Marantz. I am still awaiting a reply from Marantz on this issue however.
I think I will be waiting a while.

What HDMI sources are routed through the Marantz then to Darbee?
I and others are only experiencing an issue with HD cable routed through the Marantz.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 04:58 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:

Review February 2013

1.+ Re calibration,(long overdue anyway) has solved this issue and Darbee at any but the highest setting does not affect the whites blooming but only improves the image.
2.- Yes agree, more of what is present within the image with Darbee engaged is presented and enhanced for better or worse.
3.+ Big yes.
4. Neither + or - I still concur with my first reaction. Still images are strikingly different and better via Darbee, I do not see that same striking in your face difference on moving images.

5. Neither + or - Same no 3D. I do not know what that gushing editor Gary Reber of widescreen review was doing prior to his review of this product that day but there is no 3D effect with this product .
6.+ I am now positively sure that the Darbee treated images are more satisfying to view, deep and richer than untreated images. Easily seen.
7.Neither + or - True.

But that is just for two pair of glasses. Also the 3D hardware purchase is restricted to 3D material only and 3D sources are pricey compared to their non 3D counterparts.
Only two people are included in this scenario, extra glasses $100.00 a pop. Batteries are $$$ that do not last long.
So 3D delivers more bang but less accessibility and versatility as the Darbee improves all images presented for all viewers. You cant have a 3D movie on for 8 and have two pair of glasses handy.

For the increase in perception alone #3 supplied by this product is worth the price.
I am pleased with the purchase although there have been unforeseen HDMI compatibility issues that unfortunately will remain unresolved.
The HDMI compatibility issues with Darbee apparently only affect Marantz product.

The second pair of active shutter glasses(Samsung) I bought was under $20. The first pair of active shutter glasses(Xpand) I bought was $70, but they also included the Bluetooth emitter. I plan on getting a second Xpand pair of BT glasses. They are only $30 right now on Amazon. The passive glasses I use on my secondary TV are even less expensive, around $4 each when bought in a pack of six.
wattheF's Avatar wattheF 07:18 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Can anyone out there using a Darbee with either a ST/GT/VT-50 comment on the PQ improvements? In particular does it help with the somewhat soft look of certain (lower quality) HD Cable content? and does it do so at the cost of an even more grainy picture than it can sometimes already have?

Anyone else???
buckley44's Avatar buckley44 06:21 AM 02-20-2013
Quote:

What HDMI sources are routed through the Marantz then to Darbee?
I and others are only experiencing an issue with HD cable routed through the Marantz.

Still have the same issue with mine,so for now I'm just using it for blu ray.
chad473's Avatar chad473 03:34 PM 02-20-2013
Got my darblet yesterday. Have to echo a lot of the impressions on here. I have a pretty mild prescription, but it's akin to slipping my glasses on and off when the darbee is engaged. Details in faces/hair/landscapes snap into focus with it on. I think anywhere from a 5-15/20% increase in quality depending on the content is fair. That's what I'm noticing so far on my 50" panasonic S1 (modest 2009 plasma). CGI sources like Avatar and Wreck it Ralph really saw impressive results. If nothing else, it's breathed a bit of new life into this set since I'm not looking at upgrading anytime in the near future.

I didn't think I'd ever touch full pop mode, but I can see myself using it sparingly on some sports. I haven't cared about the NBA in almost 20 years, but I just watched most of the first half of this Celtics/Lakers game on ESPN because of the effect on perceived contrast and depth. It's fairly striking.
nikolausp's Avatar nikolausp 10:31 PM 02-20-2013
Quote:

Review February 2013

3.+ Big yes.

7.Neither + or - True.

Regarding #3.... what are you referring to when you say, "black image"?

I'm not sure what a black image is, in regards to TV content.
kiwi2000's Avatar kiwi2000 07:15 AM 02-21-2013
Quote:
Regarding #3.... what are you referring to when you say, "black image"?

I'm not sure what a black image is, in regards to TV content.

Better deeper richer blacks.
Make the rest of the image pop.
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 09:31 AM 02-21-2013
Just bought a Darbee. Last night I was trying to install the device and never been able to make it working. Iv'e got the red led on the power supply, the green led is flashing but no blue led and of course no image on my projector.

I think I have try everything from changing HDMI cable, put the darbee before the my Denon receiver, put the darbee after the Denon, bypass the Denon and put the Darbee with just my blu ray player and the projector... All that test with no luck...

Any ideas?
cdnscg's Avatar cdnscg 09:42 AM 02-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Just bought a Darbee. Last night I was trying to install the device and never been able to make it working. Iv'e got the red led on the power supply, the green led is flashing but no blue led and of course no image on my projector.

I think I have try everything from changing HDMI cable, put the darbee before the my Denon receiver, put the darbee after the Denon, bypass the Denon and put the Darbee with just my blu ray player and the projector... All that test with no luck...

Any ideas?

Try shutting off the deep color, and set to 4:2:2 on your blu-ray player. Also, what length of cable are you using between the darbee and other units? Apparently there could be an issue with smaller than 6'
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 11:58 AM 02-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

Quote:

Any ideas?

Try shutting off the deep color, and set to 4:2:2 on your blu-ray player. Also, what length of cable are you using between the darbee and other units? Apparently there could be an issue with smaller than 6'

Thanks for the tip.

I will try that tonigh. My calbles are about 3 feets long.
fpr's Avatar fpr 04:27 PM 02-21-2013
I have the following questions:

- What version of software and firmware of Darbee is the latest ?

I have the next version:

Software version: 2.8.2214
Firmware version: 1.3.21

Do I have the latest version?

- What options has the "fine adjustement" of the advanced menu?

- When I turn off my sources and TV the blue led of the Darbee remaining on and blinking. It's normal?
My Lumagen videoprocesor sending signal through the HDMI output even when is in standby (keeps it's "Standby power" active), Could this be the explanation of the blue led?

Thanks
p5browne's Avatar p5browne 05:11 PM 02-21-2013
Quote:

Thanks for the tip.

I will try that tonigh. My calbles are about 3 feets long.

3 feet on each side gives you your 6 feet. This is what I have on mine with no issues.
rczarne's Avatar rczarne 07:10 AM 02-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

Got my darblet yesterday. Have to echo a lot of the impressions on here. I have a pretty mild prescription, but it's akin to slipping my glasses on and off when the darbee is engaged. Details in faces/hair/landscapes snap into focus with it on. I think anywhere from a 5-15/20% increase in quality depending on the content is fair. That's what I'm noticing so far on my 50" panasonic S1 (modest 2009 plasma). CGI sources like Avatar and Wreck it Ralph really saw impressive results. If nothing else, it's breathed a bit of new life into this set since I'm not looking at upgrading anytime in the near future.

I didn't think I'd ever touch full pop mode, but I can see myself using it sparingly on some sports. I haven't cared about the NBA in almost 20 years, but I just watched most of the first half of this Celtics/Lakers game on ESPN because of the effect on perceived contrast and depth. It's fairly striking.

What HD setting have you found works best ? I also have a 50" S1 .
JoeBoy73's Avatar JoeBoy73 08:36 AM 02-22-2013
Just got my darbee last night...I wanted to make sure I have it setup properly. I'm not at home and i'm going off memory:) My projector is connected to Output and I have another HDMI cable going from Input connected into the output HDMI connector on the Receiver. Is this correct.?
avswilier's Avatar avswilier 08:38 AM 02-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Just got my darbee last night...I wanted to make sure I have it setup properly. I'm not at home and i'm going off memory:) My projector is connected to Output and I have another HDMI cable going from Input connected into the output HDMI connector on the Receiver. Is this correct.?

Correct!
JoeBoy73's Avatar JoeBoy73 08:46 AM 02-22-2013
Thanks avswiller! I was kinda nervous...lol! It's really a great device. I'm going to spend some time dialing the settings on my HTPC this weekend. Curious....is it better to turn off all the AMD picture inhancing and let the Darbee do its thing?
ferbal's Avatar ferbal 01:18 PM 02-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Thanks avswiller! I kinda nervous...lol! it's really a great device. I'm going to spend some time dialing the settings on my HTPC this weekend. Curious....is it better to turn off all the AMD picture inhancing and let the Darbee do its thing?

try both and keep the one you like most
musicalfox's Avatar musicalfox 08:11 PM 02-22-2013
Quick question to all you Darbee experts (as I am planning to purchase a unit this week): I have a 30ft Monoprice Redmere HDMI running from my Integra pre-amp to an Epson 6010 PJ. If I slot in the Darbee just before the projector with a 24AWG 1ft extension HDMI, I shouldn't have any problems, right? I only ask because Monoprice Live Chat said that sometimes video will not pass when an already-long HDMI is extended. I have no experience of this, so wondered if I need to be prepared for any eventualities? Many thanks in advance for any replies...
David Susilo's Avatar David Susilo 09:00 PM 02-22-2013
I tried using a Monoprice 60ft Redmere from my HDMI switcher to the Darblet and then run a 1ft QED Qunex cable with no problem at all. running it the other way round also yields no problem.
musicalfox's Avatar musicalfox 11:52 PM 02-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I tried using a Monoprice 60ft Redmere from my HDMI switcher to the Darblet and then run a 1ft QED Qunex cable with no problem at all. running it the other way round also yields no problem.

Thanks, David. I approve of the THX certification! (I actually worked for the company for many years in sales and marketing out in Nicasio.)
KBMAN's Avatar KBMAN 12:37 PM 02-24-2013
I also have a 'redmere' cable coming in the mail in a few days. A 40ft ultra-slim to be exact. My older 22AWG HDMI 35 footer cannot handle blurays very nice, but the Darblet did not introduce any more problems, just more solutions wink.gif

I'm going to have a high-speed passive cable coming out of the PS3 to my Integra PreAmp, then out to Darblet, then the 40ft monoprice medmere cable going to the projector. I will of course test it in the theater room before going up in the attic wink.gif This should all work, if my calculations are correct..... eek.gif
David Susilo's Avatar David Susilo 01:45 PM 02-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalfox View Post

Thanks, David. I approve of the THX certification! (I actually worked for the company for many years in sales and marketing out in Nicasio.)

Cool! For the past 4 years or so I've been using THX as part of my lectures that I do worldwide (17 countries not including US and Canada so far).

RedMere, to me, is a godsend. 60ft with no repeater and I only need to use 28AWG is just amazing, considering HDMI LLC recommends 30ft max when using 22AWG cable.
chad473's Avatar chad473 09:11 PM 02-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczarne View Post

What HD setting have you found works best ? I also have a 50" S1 .

So far, around 60%
CheYC's Avatar CheYC 09:40 AM 02-25-2013
Will this effect the ARC if put in that chain? i.e. I have PS3 and cable going into a Denon receiver and the output of the receiver going into the ARC HDMI input in my TV, would putting the Darbee in the output chain effect the ARC?
kevin_mahaney's Avatar kevin_mahaney 11:38 AM 02-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

Will this effect the ARC if put in that chain? i.e. I have PS3 and cable going into a Denon receiver and the output of the receiver going into the ARC HDMI input in my TV, would putting the Darbee in the output chain effect the ARC?

Yes, it disables ARC.
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 10:21 PM 02-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Can anyone out there using a Darbee with either a ST/GT/VT-50 comment on the PQ improvements? In particular does it help with the somewhat soft look of certain (lower quality) HD Cable content? and does it do so at the cost of an even more grainy picture than it can sometimes already have?

I have it hooked up to my GT50 and it definitely improves the image " what some say soft looking" the most improvement is on close facial shots you can see every wrinkle and hair incredibly detailed. I never experienced any grainy ness on HD channels on my GT50 unless the movie was filmed that way. But if the movie was filmed grainy it will expose it more. Overall I love my Darbee it does a great job with HD, Bluray and PS3 games. With SD cable channels there isn't much improvement since its crap anyways. The only problem I wish they fixed was the compatibility with ARC. I have all my components HDMI to my Onkyo 1080p up scaling -Hdmi-Darbee-Hdmi to GT50. All good.
xplorar's Avatar xplorar 11:26 PM 02-25-2013
A question for Darblet users -
I am using Darblet at HD 60% with Epson 5010 projector. When I view 3D material, the picture contrast and sharpness nosedives (this is inherent 3D weakness and can't be helped) and therefore I temporarily tweak-up Darblet levels for 3D. My dilemma here is - whether to set setting at 75-80% HD or just shift to 60% Gaming/Full Pop. What do you recommend?
LBJ2's Avatar LBJ2 05:02 AM 02-26-2013
Hello: I have listed my very lightly used Darbee vision darblet for sale. Please see
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460289/darbee-darblet-model-dvp-5000 if interested.

I really enjoyed the Darbee effect on my Sony LX900 LCD/LED -- however I ended up replacing my Sony with a new Panasonic Plasma which I am able to calibrate more extensively to the PQ I prefer therefore no need for the Darbee with my Plasma.
Tags: Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor
First ... 185  186  187 188  189  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop