post #5941 of 8107 Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

For those of you that have more than one TV with the Darblet - - is there a HDMI switcher (not splitter) that you recommend? Any other solution that works best?

I know there is potential loss of signal quality anytime you break the chain, so to speak, but I'd like to try the Darblet on my Samsung 65" LCD/LED in addition to using it with my BenQ projector.

HDMI 1 Out is the Sammy set, HDMI 2 Out is the projector. (from my Pioneer SC65 Receiver.)

Thx, Rico.

Rico,

I have an extremely complex HDMI distribution system with two Darbee Darblets, anchored by a Lumagen XS-3D processor. Below is a prior post where I detailed some of the Monoprice switches I use.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

After my Lumagen, I have a Monoprice 1 x 2 splitter (PID 8204): http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

Followed by a Monoprice 3 x 1 switch (PID 8462): www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8462&seq=1&format=2

In case you are wondering why I have two cascading switches, here is my HDMI Distribution diagram: HDMI Distribution & Switching Diagram.pdf 985k .pdf file

I would also point out that I use many HDMI cables shorter than six feet, but I only use Blue Jeans Cables Belden Bonded Pair cables. They cost a little more, but everything works; YMMV.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 8107 Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Rico,

I have an extremely complex HDMI distribution system with two Darbee Darblets, anchored by a Lumagen XS-3D processor. Below is a prior post where I detailed some of the Monoprice switches I use.

I hope this helps.

Mark

+1 for those Blue Jeans HDMI cables, I also have quite a few short ones and never once had any HDMI problems (knock on wood).

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #5943 of 8107 Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I also have a complex HDMI distribution system using a Gefen Toolbox 8x8 HDMI matrix switch: also have a MonoPrice splitter connected to one output: Processor is Marantz 8801

Darbee output is connected to Sharp Elite 70

I had issues with the Darbee not outputting to the Sharp and traced it down to my Sony CDP-7000ES BD changer: the changer is HDMI 1.3: all other connected devices are 1.4

Upon removing the Sony changer from the system: everything works as intended
post #5944 of 8107 Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 188
People pay serious coin for those BD changers used, a cult following.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
post #5945 of 8107 Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

People pay serious coin for those BD changers used, a cult following.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk

it was not a bad investment:

I sold it used for what I paid for it new a few years ago: but I like the OPPO's better and did not want to deal with the HDMI issues
post #5946 of 8107 Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

I have seen inside some of the cheap Monoprice HDMI stuff (a few years ago) and they were using high bandwidth analog amplifiers to process the signal. This can be a problem ... I will say that I bought a recent Monorpice HDMI switcher and it did have true HDMI chip sets. Perhaps they learned and went to a more reputable vendor for these products

Glimmie, can I ask which Monoprice HDMI switcher you recently purchased that had true HDMI chip sets? I ask b/c I'm having handshake / signal drop issues in my primary TV set-up upstairs.

I have been using a Monoprice 2x4 Matrix Switch PID 5312. I've got one downstairs and one upstairs. Unfortunately, I lose the switched signal at the upstairs box regularly at my Epson 6020 projector. In fact, both of the TV's serviced by that switcher can have issues, but the Epson is far more likely to just drop the connection and report "no signal".

This weekend I went through the hassle and expense of running a Redmere from the closet, through the attic, and down to the projector. Fingers crossed that it would solve the problem. Ten minutes into Game of Thrones last night, the PJ lost the signal again. So I bypassed the Monoprice 5312 and went directly from the Dish 722K to the PIoneer VSX-1120 AVR and on to the projector. No problems going direct. Placing the Darblet in the chain only adds to the problems.

So I am thinking that it might be cleaner and better to just split the only signal I really must split (the 722k Dish Network feed) using a splitter only that has no switch involved, probably using the Monoprice PID 7522 (1x2 Pro Series Powered HDMI splitter). At least one poster on this thread reports that he has that splitter in his Darblet chain with no issues. I'd take one of those split Dish signals direct to the AVR (which obviously can act as the switcher between that signal, the BluRay signal, and anything else I want to throw at the Epson), and then run the other side of the split Dish signal either directly to the second upstairs TV (LG LED), or into the existing Monoprice Matrix switch, if getting additional sources tossed at the LG becomes necessary.

This is a recurring headache and I'd welcome any insights, since I haven't dissected any of these devices ever, and wouldn't know what I was looking at if I did.

Thanks.

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #5947 of 8107 Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

+1 for those Blue Jeans HDMI cables, I also have quite a few short ones and never once had any HDMI problems (knock on wood).

Thanks to all - based on the info on this thread, I went with the Monoprice Splitter:

(Even though I do not need to output to two displays at one time - per another forum member - - this solution still works fine.)

Monoprice #8154

This splitter features an internal amplifier, which boosts the HDMI signal and allows the transmission of High Speed HDMI signals (1080p) up to 49 feet (15 meters) using ordinary High Speed HDMI cables. The one HDMI input and two HDMI output ports are gold-plated to ensure smooth, corrosion-free connections. The splitter is powered by an included 5 VDC, 2A AC adapter.

The splitter supports High Speed HDMI signals, which means that it supports the following HDMI features:

1080p Resolution - It supports the full 1080p@60Hz HDMI resolution.
3D Video - It supports all standard HDMI 3D modes.
Deep Color - It supports deep color up to 12-bits per channel, 36-bits total.
High Definition Audio - It supports high-definition multi-channel audio signals, including Dolby TrueHD™ and DTS-HD Master Audio™.
Hope it works with no HDMI handshake issues! Works fine now with HDMI Out All - - but no Darblet on Sammy set.

Pioneer SC65 (OPPO 103, Directv, Media Player) - via HDMI1 "Out," "In" to Darblet, "Out" to Samsung LCD/LED 65" TV & BenQ W1080ST projector.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #5948 of 8107 Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM

Liked: 10
I had a tough night last night. I sat down for a movie and turned on my system only to find that my beloved Darbee Darblet is dead. I tried her with a number of sources and outputting to my projector as well as my TV. I took my AVR out of the loop and reset Darbee. I tried a number of HDMI cables. All to no avail. Darbee's menu appears fine on the output, but the rest of the processed picture is just noisy lines.

Well, I'm over the tears now and after suffering through a movie tonight without Darbee's enhancement, I realize I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm looking to somehow get my Darbee working again. I've had her since September and she's out of warranty. Has anyone else suffered a similar fate? How is the Darbee support when out of warranty?

- Lost in NoVa
post #5949 of 8107 Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
I know this is off topic. eek.gif But I've seen a few posts mentioning a hdmi splitter. If anyone is looking for one I have one for sell. PM me if interested. Now to back to your regularly scheduled programming.biggrin.gif

GO BLUE
post #5950 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlo View Post

I had a tough night last night. I sat down for a movie and turned on my system only to find that my beloved Darbee Darblet is dead. I tried her with a number of sources and outputting to my projector as well as my TV. I took my AVR out of the loop and reset Darbee. I tried a number of HDMI cables. All to no avail. Darbee's menu appears fine on the output, but the rest of the processed picture is just noisy lines.

Well, I'm over the tears now and after suffering through a movie tonight without Darbee's enhancement, I realize I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm looking to somehow get my Darbee working again. I've had her since September and she's out of warranty. Has anyone else suffered a similar fate? How is the Darbee support when out of warranty?

- Lost in NoVa

Bummer. It could be a dead power supply? You could test if is sending out the required voltage, if you have a multi-meter.

Mark
post #5951 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM
GGG

If you bough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlo View Post

- Lost in NoVa

If you bought it with a major credit card you might have doubling of the warranty type protection, read the details in your credit card terms.
post #5952 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

If you bough
If you bought it with a major credit card you might have doubling of the warranty type protection, read the details in your credit card terms.

I always think about using my gold or platinum cards for rental cars (CDW insurance is covered by the cc), but always forget when making big purchases (cc doubles manufacturers warranty up to 2 years usually).

I just spent almost 3k on a new display last week, and used a cc that gives points but doesn't double the warranty. My other cards give the points + benefits. I wonder if my vendor will refund my cc and recharge on my other card?? I'll have to go see them, I think 2 years instead of 1 for a 3k display is important, I'm worried now 😛

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #5953 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Anyone had this problem?

I just received my new Darbee. I have it setup between my DVDO iScan Duo and my Epson 8350.

The Duo is giving me a message saying "Input signal is protected! Display device is not authorized to display video". Then the screen goes to black and my Epson shows "Source: HDMI No Signal".

If I remove the Darbee from the signal chain, all is well. Put the Darbee back, same error as before. It doesn't matter if I run my Motorola Cable box, my XBOX 360 or my Oppo BDP-93. I always get the same message.

Anyone know what's wrong?
post #5954 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Anyone had this problem?

I just received my new Darbee. I have it setup between my DVDO iScan Duo and my Epson 8350.

The Duo is giving me a message saying "Input signal is protected! Display device is not authorized to display video". Then the screen goes to black and my Epson shows "Source: HDMI No Signal".

If I remove the Darbee from the signal chain, all is well. Put the Darbee back, same error as before. It doesn't matter if I run my Motorola Cable box, my XBOX 360 or my Oppo BDP-93. I always get the same message.

Anyone know what's wrong?

Sounds like an HDCP handshake issue. Are you using any really short HDMI cables? This can sometimes cause problems.
post #5955 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

Sounds like an HDCP handshake issue. Are you using any really short HDMI cables? This can sometimes cause problems.

I don't have a cable under 6 feet.
post #5956 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

I don't have a cable under 6 feet.

How long is the cable run to the pj? Sometimes adding some new device in the chain can reduce the signal strength just enough to cause an issue, requiring a more robust cable. Also check that "deep color" is turned off on those source devices.
post #5957 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

How long is the cable run to the pj? Sometimes adding some new device in the chain can reduce the signal strength just enough to cause an issue, requiring a more robust cable. Also check that "deep color" is turned off on those source devices.

certainly no longer than 15 feet with the Darbee inline. Right now I have a 6 ft from the Duo to the Darbee and 9 feet from the Darbee to the Epson.
post #5958 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I tried 4 different cables in every combination. I still get the same "Display not authorized" error. Deep color is off.

Any other ideas? I'm stumped.

BTW, on the Darbee I see a red light, a blue light, and a flashing green light. That usually signals all is ok, right?
post #5959 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I tried 4 different cables in every combination. I still get the same "Display not authorized" error. Deep color is off.

Any other ideas? I'm stumped.

BTW, on the Darbee I see a red light, a blue light, and a flashing green light. That usually signals all is ok, right?

At least your lights are working fine.
Sorry can't help you, seems like you tried all suggestions.. hopefully you find a solution, the Darbee does amazing things

post #5960 of 8107 Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I put the Darbee between my Oppo and my Duo and it works perfectly. I'm wondering if the newer Duo firmware is causing the handshake problem when I put the Darbee between the Duo and the PJ. I would really like get it to work on all my devices.
post #5961 of 8107 Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Darbee Darblet Review - Redux

Well, I must have gotten a bum Darblet before because I didn't see any affect on my Samsung UN65ES8000 when I tried it out this past holiday season. I ended up sending it back. Since then, I added a projector to my setup (short thorw BenQ W1080ST) I decided to try the Darblet again since it works so great with projectors. I also was curious to see the effect on my Sammy set, so I connected it to my LCD/LED last night and I must say - - I'm very impressed.

The best way I can explain the "effect" is that it makes my Directv HDTV signal look like Bluray material. I'm seeing detail that I've never seen before - - and I already thought my picture was uber sharp.

Example: I was moving through the channels and stumbled on a show called "Castle." Anyway - - they have this one lady character that quite frankly, had a bad case of five o'clock shadow. I toggled the Darblet on and off - - and you could really see the difference.
I know this will date me, but this chick was really scary. If you've ever seen old footage of the Kennedy - Nixon TV debates (in black and white) - - well, let's just say that her beard was a tad lighter than Tricky Dick's.

So - - my apologies to Darbeevision - - the extra luminance and sharpness of the PQ is even evident on our super sharp Sammy sets. The better the source signal, the better the effect. I've been very surprised - - and pleasantly so.

I bought an "open box" Darblet from Solid Signal for around $260.00. It looked brand new to me and worked like a charm from the get go. I have a Monoprice splitter on it's way so I can enjoy the Darblet on both my Sammy set and Projector.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #5962 of 8107 Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Kilgore, have you tried removing the cable box?
post #5963 of 8107 Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:

I just received my new Darbee ... setup between my DVDO iScan Duo and my Epson 8350. The Duo is giving me a message saying "Input signal is protected! Display device is not authorized to display video". Then the screen goes to black and my Epson shows "Source: HDMI No Signal".

Kilgore, I saw the same message on Sunday. My chain at that time was Dish 722k Receiver > Monoprice HDMI Matrix Switch PID 5312 > Pioneer VSX-1120 > Epson 6020. I had just run a new Redmere cable in between the Pioneer and the Epson to address some apparent handshake issues, and saw that message when I was testing the result. (Not what I was hoping for.)

More specifically, after installing the Redmere, I had powered several devices on in kind of an ad hoc order. In fact, the Matrix Switch was probably powered on the whole time I was running the cable. The 1120 was definitely not powered while running the cable, nor was the projector. The Dish Receiver and the Matrix switch, both "above" the 1120 to Epson cable I was running, may have both been on the entire time. Not sure about that, but probably at least one was. I had never seen the message before. I powered everything down, and then restarted everything using the Harmony in the preset power-on order. The message did not reappear and I have not seen it since.

Our common link is that it was an Epson projector at the end of our video chains. You might want to power everything down, then manually turn on the devices in different orders (allowing each sufficient time to wake up before turning on the next) to see if that resolves the problem. I thought my Epson was probably late to the chain during that first post-cable install power on, so to speak, and that might have been part of causation in my case.

You say the Duo sent the message we both saw. One of the mysteries I wondered about was, which device actually tossed that message, but since it was a one-time only message, I never explored that. I don't own a Duo but saw the same message.

In addition to what other posters have mentioned about cable lengths, deep color off and the like, read also Mark Rubin's post #5943 above.

Good luck.

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #5964 of 8107 Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Maybe try a redmere cable or some other HDMI cable.

I'm using a DUO and sending 444 deep color video using a 12 or 15 foot Monoprice HDMI cable straight to the Darblet. And then a 6 foot Monoprice HDMI cable to my Mitsubishi DLP. I'm not seeing any issues in my setup with my DUO.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5965 of 8107 Old 04-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks to all - based on the info on this thread, I went with the Monoprice Splitter:

(Even though I do not need to output to two displays at one time - per another forum member - - this solution still works fine.)

Monoprice #8154

This splitter features an internal amplifier, which boosts the HDMI signal and allows the transmission of High Speed HDMI signals (1080p) up to 49 feet (15 meters) using ordinary High Speed HDMI cables. The one HDMI input and two HDMI output ports are gold-plated to ensure smooth, corrosion-free connections. The splitter is powered by an included 5 VDC, 2A AC adapter.

The splitter supports High Speed HDMI signals, which means that it supports the following HDMI features:

1080p Resolution - It supports the full 1080p@60Hz HDMI resolution.
3D Video - It supports all standard HDMI 3D modes.
Deep Color - It supports deep color up to 12-bits per channel, 36-bits total.
High Definition Audio - It supports high-definition multi-channel audio signals, including Dolby TrueHD™ and DTS-HD Master Audio™.
Hope it works with no HDMI handshake issues! Works fine now with HDMI Out All - - but no Darblet on Sammy set.

Pioneer SC65 (OPPO 103, Directv, Media Player) - via HDMI1 "Out," "In" to Darblet, "Out" to Samsung LCD/LED 65" TV & BenQ W1080ST projector.

***UPDATE***

Works like a charm! Darbee Darblet available for both my Samsung TV (65ES8000 LCD/LED) and my BenQ W1080ST projector!

As one member advised - - I am putting electrical tape over the display - - the red lights are as bright as traffic lights! Also - - and this worked for me, knock, knock, without any problem.

I used the same HDMI cable (type) six feet out from my HDMI 1 Out from my Pioneer SC65 receiver to the Darblet and then out of the Darblet with a THREE FOOT HDMI cable (same brand) into the Monoprice splitter which goes out to a 10 foot HDMI cable for my Sammy Set and a 20 foot HDMI cable to my projector.

So far, a very happy camper!

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #5966 of 8107 Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

***UPDATE***

Works like a charm! Darbee Darblet available for both my Samsung TV (65ES8000 LCD/LED) and my BenQ W1080ST projector!

As one member advised - - I am putting electrical tape over the display - - the red lights are as bright as traffic lights! Also - - and this worked for me, knock, knock, without any problem.

I used the same HDMI cable (type) six feet out from my HDMI 1 Out from my Pioneer SC65 receiver to the Darblet and then out of the Darblet with a THREE FOOT HDMI cable (same brand) into the Monoprice splitter which goes out to a 10 foot HDMI cable for my Sammy Set and a 20 foot HDMI cable to my projector.

So far, a very happy camper!

Rico
You can go into the Darblet menu and just disable the LED lights. no need for tape.
post #5967 of 8107 Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post

Rico
You can go into the Darblet menu and just disable the LED lights. no need for tape.

I probably wasn't clear - - I have dimmed the Darbee lights via the menu. It's the Monoprice splitter that has bright lights that need tape over the unit.

Thanks for the post - - smile.gif

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #5968 of 8107 Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Maybe try a redmere cable or some other HDMI cable.

I'm using a DUO and sending 444 deep color video using a 12 or 15 foot Monoprice HDMI cable straight to the Darblet. And then a 6 foot Monoprice HDMI cable to my Mitsubishi DLP. I'm not seeing any issues in my setup with my DUO.
Which firmware version are you using on your Duo?
post #5969 of 8107 Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Kilgore-

Do you use a Harmony remote or any sort of universal remote? I've had a very similar issue with my duo and Darbee in the past, but what i had to do was change the order in which the devices power up and my issues cleared up. You may just need to play around a bit until you find the right power on sequence. My .02
post #5970 of 8107 Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1forsnow View Post

What i had to do was change the order in which the devices power up and my issues cleared up.

Add two more cents, what order did you previously power-on in, and what is the new order? Also, did you add in any delays?

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page