Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #31 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I did a "hands on" review of a pre-release version of the Darblet, which I'm sure you'll have no problems finding with a google search.

I think that it does a good job when left at a modest level of enhancement. Like other home theater equipment, it comes with a demo setting that introduces sharpening artifacts that are distracting and undesirable.

For someone who wants a one-button method for adding a bit more "pop" to an image it should be quite pleasing.

SS@SolidSignal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSignal View Post

I did a "hands on" review of a pre-release version of the Darblet, which I'm sure you'll have no problems finding with a google search.

I think that it does a good job when left at a modest level of enhancement. Like other home theater equipment, it comes with a demo setting that introduces sharpening artifacts that are distracting and undesirable.

For someone who wants a one-button method for adding a bit more "pop" to an image it should be quite pleasing.

hmm... I thought the algorithm was sophisticated enough to not have artifacts -sounds like the Razorvision from Belkin
post #33 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

In the normal settings you really don't see noise or excessive sharpening, but it's there in the demo mode.

SS@SolidSignal
post #34 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Having seen this large screen, terms like "Razorvision" and "sharpening" seem very limited and much below the impact of what is going on here with patent protected technology. Sure you have 3 modes and in any of them you could take the level of effect too far. So....stop where that particular mode on that particular source looks good. Other image sources and transfers of movies will take different settings.

Gary Reber in this pasted section below after seeing it on the 50" flat panel at CES, was for me much more intriguing to read and verifies what I saw. Before the subsequent firmware improvements were even made, over this past 9 months.

"According to DarbeeVision's founder and CEO, Paul Darbee, "Our images resonate with the viewer, because DarbeeVision takes into consideration how human vision evolved to perceive a 3-D world." Darbee noted that his company's technology embeds 3-D depth into 2-D images, with perceptible enhancement of detail and depth separation, Darbee says that his team has discovered that pic- tures can be made even better than what the most perfect camera and display systems can produce. DarbeeVision was awarded a patent in 2006 for its proprietary visual computing technology, known as Darbee Visual Presence" (DVP) The real{ime digital logic-pro- cessing algorlthm uses parallax disparity as the basis for local lumi- nance modulation on a per-pixel basis to embed stereo depth infor- mation into monoscopic images.

Using a patented defocus-and-sub-tract method, the process is selectively applied, based upon a fast and accurate saliency map called the Perceptor'", The real{ime pro- cessing is done intra{rame so no large buffer memory or time delays are required. Processing is solution independent, scaling linearly with the number of pixels in a frame. According to Darbee, the effect is a generalization of the "drop shadow" effect. Darbee says that the technology simulates cues that the human brain gets from interprel ing depth through monocular elements, which include size (distant objects subtend smaller visual angles than near objects), texture gra- dient, lighting and shading, and "distance fog" (the foreground has high contrast; the background has low contrast).

The Darblet is a plug-and-play unit that does not require tuning or calibration and has simple controls, which are operated by a remote control, During the demo at this year's CES I again perceived an impressive sense of enhanced clarity and resolution, resulting in a greater sense of depth and dimensionality, and thus, realism. This was true for every 2-D image processed compared to the original image in side-by-side demonstrations. The benefit of the Darblet enhancement was quite apparent and beneficlal, and definitely pre- ferred to the original. Details were enhanced, whlle noise was sup- pressed, wlth no apparent edge enhancement or other unnatural arti- facts experienced while viewing the enhanced images. The Darbee process appears to definitely improve the realism of both monoscop- ic and, expectedly, stereoscopic imagery, in which the 3-D video stream consists of two monoscopic images.
While at present the technology is embedded in a silicon chip housed in an outboard box, the intended application segment is image processing inside display devices, The image processing is 1080p, 60 frames per second, ln real time. Widescreen Reviewwill be the first to review this new imaging technology and report on its performance using calibrated displays."
post #35 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not that eloquent but that seems about right.

SS@SolidSignal
post #36 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
post #37 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
So, where are the 1080p24 AVCHD demo clips for download ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 156
All that raises a question - what does it do to content that isn't supposed to look real?

Noah
post #39 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 PM

Liked: 14
ITS Here, ITS Here, ITS Here, ITS Here, ITS Here, ITS Here, ITS Here, ITS Here, ITS Here, .......... I am opening the box as I post. The sticker on the box says: By opening this box, you agree that you will not use the video output for commercial enterprise purposes. This adds to the suspense. ahhhh
Djyinn likes this.
post #40 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 PM

I will be hooking it up shortly and posting my first impressions. The model # is DVP 5000
Djyinn likes this.
post #41 of 8127 Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Gonzalez View Post

I will be hooking it up shortly and posting my first impressions. The model # is DVP 5000

Looking forward to what you think. FedEx ground is slow to me from CA. I won't have mine till Friday.
post #42 of 8127 Old 05-02-2012, 04:28 AM

When I requested my FedEX shipping number I asked Larry Pace what the latest firmware did. His reply:
"The latest firmware improves the AI control parameters for the Full Pop mode. As such, Full Pop is more gracefully expressed than in the past. Its pretty amazing with high quality content. Try Full Pop at a 70-85 setting on a good Blu-ray disc."

Let us know how this works out Mark.
post #43 of 8127 Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 AM

I connected the Darblet between my PS3 and PT-AE7000. I used the movie Avater for the review. The best way to describe the image with the Darblet connected was that a slight film was removed from the picture creating a more detailed image with improved color and contrast. I would call the difference slight but noticeable. The amount of impact this will have for you will depend on your system. In a hobby where some will pay huge amounts for slight improvements, I would call the Darblet a bargain. I did notice some edge enhancement noise when turned up so be sure not to over do it. I will do some more testing tonight.
post #44 of 8127 Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

That's very consistent with my impressions of the product.

SS@SolidSignal
post #45 of 8127 Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Gonzalez View Post

I connected the Darblet between my PS3 and PT-AE7000. I used the movie Avater for the review. The best way to describe the image with the Darblet connected was that a slight film was removed from the picture creating a more detailed image with improved color and contrast. I would call the difference slight but noticeable. The amount of impact this will have for you will depend on your system. In a hobby where some will pay huge amounts for slight improvements, I would call the Darblet a bargain. I did notice some edge enhancement noise when turned up so be sure not to over do it. I will do some more testing tonight.

Thanks Mark -looking forward to more impressions. Intersted to hear how it does on DVDs, HDTV and SD.
post #46 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Demo setting does not add processing, it only changes the way you view the mode you are in, compared to the source video.
post #47 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:

In the normal settings you really don't see noise or excessive sharpening, but it's there in the demo mode.

Again, if you don't see it in the Mode you are in, at the setting you select, nothing additional or negative will show up by using Demo Mode.
post #48 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 04:34 AM

Let's all welcome the DarbeeDr to the forum -Long Live the Darblet!
post #49 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

Again, if you don't see it in the Mode you are in, at the setting you select, nothing additional or negative will show up by using Demo Mode.

You're right... I really meant the Full Pop mode.

SS@SolidSignal
post #50 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM

Call me DD or Larry
post #51 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Call me DD or Larry

So Larry -when is the Widescreen Review coming out?
post #52 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 AM

We tested the Darblet yesterday by putting it at the output of an Oppo BDP-95. One might think that Marvell's Qdeo enhancement engine would create such great fidelity that you would not be able to get more perceived image quality.

Wrong!

The Darblet provided an amazing and huge difference in picture clarity, depth and realism.

Try it, and then ask Oppo to give us a call.

- DD
post #53 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM

A Darblet will go into Gary's hands in a few days.
post #54 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassie View Post

So Larry -when is the Widescreen Review coming out?

A Darblet will go out to Gary Reber, in a couple of days.
- DD
post #55 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:

We tested the Darblet yesterday by putting it at the output of an Oppo BDP-95. One might think that Marvell's Qdeo enhancement engine would create such great fidelity that you would not be able to get more perceived image quality.

Wrong!

The Darblet provided an amazing and huge difference in picture clarity, depth and realism.

Try it, and then ask Oppo to give us a call.

- DD

Now I'm gonna have to upgrade my Oppo-83 to a OPPO-93 -will this madness ever stop
post #56 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

Demo setting does not add processing, it only changes the way you view the mode you are in, compared to the source video.

Not sure what this means; changes it how?

Noah
post #57 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I got my Darblet. Mark got his first.

I hooked it up to my Panasonic 65" V10. I've to agree with mark. tested with "the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo". It removes a layer and adds more details to the picture (the snow scene in Sweden is the best example). I use the "Hi Def" set at "95" mode and it is FANTASTIC.

Thanks again for this great piece of hardware.
post #58 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Don't you think it would be more honest if you said who you are. You don't need to push your product on us.

Moderator edit:  NO industry reps are allowed to post on AVS without being vetted first through our admin/ownership.  Dr. Darbee has been vetted and more than welcome to post on AVS.  I think 99.9% of the membership appreciate his help and information.  If you personally have a problem with it, please contact me directly through PM before posting this type of message again.

Ron Boster 

AVS Moderator rboster

post #59 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by raneil View Post

Don't you think it would be more honest if you said who you are. You don't need to push your product on us.

I think it is pretty obvious who Larry is. Don't see an issue here myself.
post #60 of 8127 Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

I think it is pretty obvious who Larry is. Don't see an issue here myself.

I agree, I think everyone knows who Dr. Darbee is - I for one am glad he is here to provide more info - I think we are all smart enough to know the sales pitch from the real dope.
elphillips likes this.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page