post #6211 of 8191 Old 06-01-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Looking to save a little and not worried about 3d or deep color (its turned off on my OPPO). Is the Cobalt the same processing ability otherwise. I was figuring on putting it between my Denon and Vt50 and using HD around 50%

Thanks.

Yup... that's what they say anyway and I have no reason to doubt them. I, too, am uninterested in 3D and deep-color. The only reason I didn't get a Cobalt is Solid Signal was selling open-box warranted Darblets for within $10 or so of the Cobalt price.

You'll want to experiment to find the setting your equipment and eye likes.
gadgtfreek likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 8191 Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm new to all this, but a HT veteran. We have a new Sharp XV-Z30000 projector on a cathedral ceiling mount. The HDMI cable is 50 feet long.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DW9H56/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's all in wall/ceiling with no way to upgrade it to a powered cable. Fortunately, I have no handshake issues with the projector (knock on wood).
I can't read 200+ pages of this thread, but after some study, it's clear that there are issues with HDMI cables and the Darbee.
Will it work in my set up? Has anyone else with a long HDMI run been OK? Any other experience with this cable?

After reading about the Darbee, I'm tempted to try it. Solid Signal has them on an "open box" for $90 less than MSRP. However, it says all sales are final...
Has anyone ordered from them and had a problem? If you have an issue, what do you do? confused.gif
Thanks
post #6213 of 8191 Old 06-02-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

I'm new to all this, but a HT veteran. We have a new Sharp XV-Z30000 projector on a cathedral ceiling mount. The HDMI cable is 50 feet long.
It's all in wall/ceiling with no way to upgrade it to a powered cable. Fortunately, I have no handshake issues with the projector (knock on wood).
I can't read 200+ pages of this thread, but after some study, it's clear that there are issues with HDMI cables and the Darbee.
Will it work in my set up? Has anyone else with a long HDMI run been OK? Any other experience with this cable?

After reading about the Darbee, I'm tempted to try it. Solid Signal has them on an "open box" for $90 less than MSRP. However, it says all sales are final...
Has anyone ordered from them and had a problem? If you have an issue, what do you do? confused.gif
Thanks

Not really an issue with Darbee, but an issue with the hdmi signal in itself. It's kinda of a crap shoot, any introduction of another component into the hdmi chain, can cause an issue, and 50' is a long run, even if it's a high gauge cable, with yours being 24 awg. I think the 50' Redmere is about the only certified cable at 50"?

I've heard tales of long runs with couplers, splitters, etc in a chain with no problems, and tales of 10' runs with handshake issues. Even different components having different sensitivities, can cloud the issue. For $90 you could try it, and if it doesn't work, and you can't use it on a different tv, or run some different cabling or setup a wireless hdmi, resell it here?
post #6214 of 8191 Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Thanks

I ordered through Solid Signal and it was packaged "like new" - - I couldn't tell the difference as I returned a unit to Amazon back in December, 2012 (faulty unit).

All sales are final BUT!!! If the unit is defective, Solid Signal will exchange for a replacement. I think they are a reputable company - - IMHO>

If there are any issues with the length of your run - - look at a Monoprice splitter/amplifier. It's worked wonders for me. I use my Darblet for my BenQ W1080ST projector and Samsung 65" LCD/LED TV. I also run everything through HDMI1 "out" of my Pioneer SC65 receiver. Ever since I acquired the Monoprice splitter - - I've had zero issues with HDMI handshakes - - to either display with Satellite, OPPO 103 Bluray Player and Micca Media Player.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #6215 of 8191 Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:

Thanks

Off topic but this is exactly why I did oversized conduit for all my AV needs when we built our house in 2009. We used 2 inch plastic pipe for upgrade purposes and the bigger pipe makes pulling new wire easy. Already came in handy when I ran Ethernet to each tv so I could play Xbox anywhere in the house or even on the porch. Back to topic.biggrin.gif
KBMAN likes this.

GO BLUE
post #6216 of 8191 Old 06-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Off topic but this is exactly why I did oversized conduit for all my AV needs when we built our house in 2009. We used 2 inch plastic pipe for upgrade purposes and the bigger pipe makes pulling new wire easy. Already came in handy when I ran Ethernet to each tv so I could play Xbox anywhere in the house or even on the porch. Back to topic.biggrin.gif

If I had built the house, I would have installed multiple runs of CAT5 and HDMI. As it was, dealing with the existing construction, we were lucky to get one HDMI run in...eek.gif Of course, I could have torn out all the walls and ceilings to install a $25 cable...
Ironically, I could have used a 35 footer and gotten away with it, but I was trying to be safe as we were dodging hidden obstacles (nails, concrete, insulation). If HDMI were not so tough to terminate, I would cut off 15 feet...
post #6217 of 8191 Old 06-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

If I had built the house, I would have installed multiple runs of CAT5 and HDMI. As it was, dealing with the existing construction, we were lucky to get one HDMI run in...eek.gif Of course, I could have torn out all the walls and ceilings to install a $25 cable...
Ironically, I could have used a 35 footer and gotten away with it, but I was trying to be safe as we were dodging hidden obstacles (nails, concrete, insulation). If HDMI were not so tough to terminate, I would cut off 15 feet...

Sorry if I upset you. Was just trying to show importance of future proofing. I didn't mean that you had made a mistake. You have to work with what you have. In your case it sounds like it was difficult. I had to fight with my guy to do the conduit. mad.gif He thot was a total waste. He did it but did so begrudgingly. He got paid for the work why should he care.smile.gif On topic. I also have a 50ft hdmi run. I'm installing a Darbee in couple days. I'll let you know how it goes.

GO BLUE
post #6218 of 8191 Old 06-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

No offence taken.
It is what it is...
I'm interested in the result of your 50 foot Darbee test.
Please post back.
Thanks
post #6219 of 8191 Old 06-02-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 427
FYI, I use 65' HDMI with RedMere technology from Monoprice and it works well with Darbee even when my BD player is set to 36-bit colour depth.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #6220 of 8191 Old 06-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

It's kinda of a crap shoot ... I've heard tales of long runs with couplers, splitters, etc in a chain with no problems, and tales of 10' runs with handshake issues.

Humbland, that's a good summary of the entire thread. It is impossible to predict what your result will be. It may work right away, it may work after tinkering, or you may run into issues that seem impossible to resolve. Your long run is a possible complication, but there are plenty of people reporting runs like that with no issues. The only thing that's certain is that if it works, you will love it. So the consensus view from most of us would be to just go for it. You can always re-purpose or re-sell if you encounter problems that can't be solved. Keep us posted.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #6221 of 8191 Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconde View Post

... I am looking for another way to add video processing for my direct tv and my htpc. I can use the chip in the AVRs or I can buy the darblet. .

Jconde,

Geeemposse and Erkq sait it well. The Darblet doesn't offer any of the typical video processing options other devices would give you, so it's down to what you are trying to do to your signal. A processor with the Darbee algorithm built in would give you both options. Whether that's the best (or most cost efficient) option depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #6222 of 8191 Old 06-03-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not really an issue with Darbee, but an issue with the hdmi signal in itself. It's kinda of a crap shoot, any introduction of another component into the hdmi chain, can cause an issue, and 50' is a long run, even if it's a high gauge cable, with yours being 24 awg. I think the 50' Redmere is about the only certified cable at 50"?

I've heard tales of long runs with couplers, splitters, etc in a chain with no problems, and tales of 10' runs with handshake issues. Even different components having different sensitivities, can cloud the issue. For $90 you could try it, and if it doesn't work, and you can't use it on a different tv, or run some different cabling or setup a wireless hdmi, resell it here?
50ft RedMere will work. As previouslny mentioned I use 65ft RedMere and it works.

To make matters worse, my connection is as follows:

BD player -> Kimber 19e HDMI cable -> passive switcher -> Audioquest Carbon HDMI cable -> Darbee Darblet -> 65ft RedMere HDMI -> PT-AE7000/VPL-HW1000ES/DLA-XR75R projectors.

my home theatre

post #6223 of 8191 Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 AM

Liked: 11
I have a question -
My media player has 'VXP Adaptive Contrast' setting available (I believe same setting is also available through Lumagen Radiance series). Should I keep 'VXP Adaptive Contrast' setting completely turned off while using Darblet in chain?
post #6224 of 8191 Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

I ordered through Solid Signal and it was packaged "like new" - - I couldn't tell the difference as I returned a unit to Amazon back in December, 2012 (faulty unit).

All sales are final BUT!!! If the unit is defective, Solid Signal will exchange for a replacement. I think they are a reputable company - - IMHO>

If there are any issues with the length of your run - - look at a Monoprice splitter/amplifier. It's worked wonders for me. I use my Darblet for my BenQ W1080ST projector and Samsung 65" LCD/LED TV. I also run everything through HDMI1 "out" of my Pioneer SC65 receiver. Ever since I acquired the Monoprice splitter - - I've had zero issues with HDMI handshakes - - to either display with Satellite, OPPO 103 Bluray Player and Micca Media Player.

I may just get an open box 5000 then. That makes sense that the sale is final (no return), but you still have a warranty.

I've read a couple of reviews and one thing is not clear to me. If I send it ycbcr 444, is that what it outputs or is it an RGB machine?

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #6225 of 8191 Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I am noticing one thing in some article on the cobalt, it says it only processes in 422. A open box 5000 might be a better move.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #6226 of 8191 Old 06-04-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post

I have a question -
My media player has 'VXP Adaptive Contrast' setting available (I believe same setting is also available through Lumagen Radiance series). Should I keep 'VXP Adaptive Contrast' setting completely turned off while using Darblet in chain?

This reviewer, http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/video-processors/video-processors-reviews/darbee-darblet-dvp5000-video-processor/page-5-conclusion.html liked the VXP processing better, but then again, he didn't like the darbee even if set to "1". See which one you prefer.
post #6227 of 8191 Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post

I have a question -

The Radiance's do not include VXP. The latest Lumagen models include the Darbee.
post #6228 of 8191 Old 06-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Liked: 12
All Radiances have VXP adaptive contrast. We just call it "adaptive contrast" and it's under our input enhancement settings. The new Radiance20XX units also add the Darbee enhancement so you can try and combine them as you prefer.

Patrick Harkin, Lumagen Inc. engineer
post #6229 of 8191 Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI, Adam at Darbee confirmed the Cobalt also only outputs 422, even if you input 444, so I ordered a Open Box 5000 smile.gif

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #6230 of 8191 Old 06-05-2013, 05:16 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick harkin View Post

All Radiances have VXP adaptive contrast. We just call it "adaptive contrast" and it's under our input enhancement settings. The new Radiance20XX units also add the Darbee enhancement so you can try and combine them as you prefer.
OK I will try combining them. Adaptive Contrast has two variable sub-settings - 'Make near-white things whiter' and 'Make near-black things blacker'. I will try to use the second setting along with Darblet to improvise image's black levels in my projector setup.
Quote:

This reviewer, http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/video-processors/video-processors-reviews/darbee-darblet-dvp5000-video-processor/page-5-conclusion.html liked the VXP processing better, but then again, he didn't like the darbee even if set to "1". See which one you prefer.
If I have to choose one of them, Darblet effect is definitely preferable for me!
post #6231 of 8191 Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick harkin View Post

Patrick: thanks for clarifying. Been so long since I looked at that feature that I forgot it was there.
post #6232 of 8191 Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I just purchased and installed a 45ft redmere cable to try and fix an 'issue'. The issue actually wasn't my previous cable at all; it's the PS3 that has slight 'pauses' on video....so quick it's hard to see if you are not looking for them. HOWEVER, the redmere is a great 'future for now' cable, and it allowed me to mount my projector even farther back, to accommodate the A-lens that I just got (for free!)

On another note, if anyone buying a new darblet wants to know, it doesn't really matter where it is in the chain between source-to-display......I have a 6 foot coming out of receiver/preamp to darblet, then the 45 foot redmere going to pj. You could also start with the longer run and then the darblet/short run to pj/TV......I wouldn't, however, run shorter than 5 foot lengths of HDMI....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #6233 of 8191 Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I don't know why "purist" won't endorse Darbee. There is no such thing as "pure" in home video. Everything is already compressed to death etc etc etc.

Besides, Darbee does not add detail, it's akin to de-blur algorithm.

If de-blurring is a no-no then upscaling, i/p conversion are also a no-no.

As long as any processing device has a hardware bypass or bit for bit digital pass through mode, it's as good as gone when in bypass. So if a purist doesn't want a Darbee in line for their "pure" sources, then just bypass it.

I often wonder what these "purists" do when they really want to watch a show for content reasons but the image quality needs a little help. I guess they just don't watch the show at all if it doesn't meet their technical standards.

To me the Darbee is just a tool. Use it as required.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #6234 of 8191 Old 06-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I received the Darbee last week and it does work well for me. I've go from settings 45-60 depending on the content. Very happy with the purchase. I agree that it's just a tool along the lines of video upscaling, so I don't see why a purist would oppose this device while being OK with upscaling.
post #6235 of 8191 Old 06-05-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats what Im gonna do, just plug it in between the 3313ci and VT50, set it on HD and 45, and move along with life smile.gif.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #6236 of 8191 Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

I often wonder what these "purists" do when they really want to watch a show for content reasons but the image quality needs a little help. I guess they just don't watch the show at all if it doesn't meet their technical standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post

I don't see why a purist would oppose this device while being OK with upscaling.
There's so much talk about "purist's" disapproval of the Darbee, yet I've never actually seen any of these "purists" who have seen it say it's a bad thing. Think we're being a little defensive here? I love mine and it seems everyone else thinks the effect adds to the PQ too.
post #6237 of 8191 Old 06-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think most purists here have been very opened minded about the Darbee, some embracing it.
post #6238 of 8191 Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If anybody take notice, nearly all the naysayers of this product never even tried the product and then call themselves "purist" without realizing, especially in consumer-grade video, there is no such thing as "pure"
JewDaddy likes this.

my home theatre

post #6239 of 8191 Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

As long as any processing device has a hardware bypass or bit for bit digital pass through mode, it's as good as gone when in bypass. So if a purist doesn't want a Darbee in line for their "pure" sources, then just bypass it.

To me the Darbee is just a tool. Use it as required.

I agree. The Darbee is just a tool to process video. I believe all display devices use some form of "processing" to display the end resulting image. If the Darbee processing was included "secretly" in a high end projector or a high end Plasma/LCD display I am sure a purist would be exclaiming how detailed that displays processing is. As it has no negative effects on any test patterns that I am aware of. Because the Darbee is an add on feature at the moment in a plastic box I think that promotes an automatic negative response from some of the purists.
David Susilo likes this.
post #6240 of 8191 Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

I believe all display devices use some form of "processing" to display the end resulting image.

If you've calibrated your TV or projector at all, you've applied video processing to manipulate the color, contrast, gamma, etc. Any real "purist" must insist on watching all content at their display's factory default settings without calibration. That's the only way to see the display's "pure" output without electronic manipulation.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page