post #631 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajglass View Post

Setting up the Darbee unit, to my mind, is somewhat akin to accessing the video menu on a high-quality TV or monitor. Perhaps with the help of instruments, you fiddle with it until you get the best possible picture. Then you mark down the settings that you've selected and go on with the rest of your life.
So putting it into a Harmony One would be perhaps an unwelcome incentive to over-fiddle -- even if Logitech in time acknowledges the unit.

Respectfully, I could not disagree more with the "find one setting that is optimum with the Darbee unit" and go with that for all bluray discs or sources or whatever. Maybe a ballpark setting but honestly each different source may require slight or more than slight tweaking from there. Depending on what you're after image wise with what it offers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

Here's the ultra amazing thing. With many types of content, when viewed with one eye, the Darbee processed version will appear 3D! Why??

Do you have examples of content that would be good to look at for this? Thanks.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #633 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

DarbeeDr,
Have you guys thought about coming up with an analogous algorithm for audio?

Yes. Sorry, I can't comment beyond that.

-DD
post #634 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Do you have examples of content that would be good to look at for this? Thanks.

Any organic scenery where the subject has lots of textures, shapes, volume, different sized objects, and all naturally juxtaposed in depth throughout the scene.

-DD
post #635 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiMura View Post

@DrDarbee I would like to know if you could point me in the direction of a replacement power supply for the Darblet something of very high quality. I wish to purchase this as a backup Thanks

For those that are wanting this information. The power supply for the Darbee is 5VDC/1000ma. The outer sleeve is negative and the inner sleeve is positive.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #636 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

For those that are wanting this information. The power supply for the Darbee is 5VDC/1000ma. The outer sleeve is negative and the inner sleeve is positive.

Will this work and not void my warranty let us know

Here is the site:
http://www.cutedigi.com/tools/power-supply/wall-adapter-power-supply-5vdc-1a.html

To all of you if this is found to be ok. This is a very high quality regulated power supply (pure regulated to 5V not 6v or higher like the cheap ones) and it is FCC/CE certified only 5.49 hopefully this is the answer to the power supply issues The only thing I am not quite sure about is the tip size of the original. This new one is a Center-positive and has 5.5x2.1mm barrel connector

Hope it works out
post #637 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Crossing the Streams,

Well I did it. Bought another darblet - put them in series and I like it. smile.gif Seems more depthy to me. I put darblet #1 at 60% and darblet #2 at 45%. I think I'll keep this configuration. Anyone else try this?
post #638 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Here is the site:
http://www.cutedigi.com/tools/power-supply/wall-adapter-power-supply-5vdc-1a.html

To all of you if this is found to be ok. This is a very high quality regulated power supply (pure regulated to 5V not 6v or higher like the cheap ones) and it is FCC/CE certified only 5.49 hopefully this is the answer to the power supply issues The only thing I am not quite sure about is the tip size of the original. This new one is a Center-positive and has 5.5x2.1mm barrel connector
Hope it works out

You can buy a higher current rated supply. The product will only draw the current it requires and the supply will run cooler. I am using a 3 amp power supply.

FCC only covers EMI and CE mark is a self declare marking for EMC and Product Safety for the European Union member countries. Best you find one with an NRTL mark for safety like UL, TUV, etc. This supply might be another cheap Chinese made power supply.

The supply that you have now might work fine so unless it dies on you don't worry about it.
post #639 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 06:23 PM

Ronomy

2,749 Posts. Joined 8/2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiMura View Post

Here is the site:

Hope it works out

You can buy a higher current rated supply. The product will only draw the current it requires and the supply will run cooler. I am using a 3 amp power supply.

FCC only covers EMI and CE mark is a self declare marking for EMC and Product Safety for the European Union member countries. Best you find one with an NRTL mark for safety like UL, TUV, etc. This supply might be another cheap Chinese made power supply.

The supply that you have now might work fine so unless it dies on you don't worry about it.

@Ronomy

Hi !!! Do you have one in mind that is of superb quality? i don't care about the cost just as long as it will not damage my darblet and it is reliable, I am just using the one that came with the darblet right now and have not bought a replacement yet but the darblet's warranty is only 90 days so I figured I would buy a couple of replacements. Thanks
post #640 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassie View Post

Crossing the Streams,
Well I did it. Bought another darblet - put them in series and I like it. smile.gif Seems more depthy to me. I put darblet #1 at 60% and darblet #2 at 45%. I think I'll keep this configuration. Anyone else try this?

Wow you are hardcore LOL . Do you see any anomalies picture-wise?
post #641 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Wow you are hardcore LOL . Do you see any anomalies picture-wise?

None that I can see but more testing required
post #642 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Here is the site:

Hope it works out

This power supply looks good, however stick with 5V.

-DD
post #643 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassie View Post

Crossing the Streams,

Noooo....LMAO.....this is awesome and interesting....from an "adventurous" point of view. Easy folks easy....I'm sure you're only talking about HDTV baseball or the US Open with Tiger blowing up today. (no blurays of course...right? wink.gif ) Joerod I think too was going to do this. Keep us posted just for the heck of it. I wonder if even the Darbee peeps ever thought of this experiment and was shocked when DD replied a couple weeks ago not immediately putting the kibosh on that idea. "Some"....are figuratively "rolling over" now in their resting places......omg.....the pixels....the pixels!!: biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edit: How does that work with the remotes? Do they have different signals from each other?
post #644 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This will be my last comment on the offensive use of the word retarded and this is a direct qoute from Urban Dictionary. You can't justify use of a offensive word because it is used as a slang word.

retarded

375 up, 413 down

The most hateful and hurtful word in the English language.
Originally meaning having an intelectual disability, also known as mental retardation. For some reason people started using it to mean stupid or dumb. Mentally retarded people are anything but dumb. People with disabilities are for sure the most discriminated group of people. How many of you are against racism or sexism? But do you even think twice before you call someone "retarded"?

"Thats soooo retarded".
Honestly? You have no idea.
post #645 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Noooo....LMAO.....this is awesome and interesting....from an "adventurous" point of view. Easy folks easy....I'm sure you're only talking about HDTV baseball or the US Open with Tiger blowing up today. (no blurays of course...right? wink.gif ) Joerod I think too was going to do this. Keep us posted just for the heck of it. I wonder if even the Darbee peeps ever thought of this experiment and was shocked when DD replied a couple weeks ago not immediately putting the kibosh on that idea. "Some"....are figuratively "rolling over" now in their resting places......omg.....the pixels....the pixels!!: biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Edit: How does that work with the remotes? Do they have different signals from each other?

I have one remote positioned near my VP50 and another near the projector. The remote is very directional so I have not had a problem with crossed signals. Another neat thing is % for both darblets show up on the screen.
I really bought the other one to use on my Mits tv but for some reason the Mits is not recognizing the darblet.
post #646 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

This will be my last comment on the offensive use of the word retarded and this is a direct qoute from Urban Dictionary. You can't justify use of a offensive word because it is used as a slang word.
retarded
375 up, 413 down
The most hateful and hurtful word in the English language.
Originally meaning having an intelectual disability, also known as mental retardation. For some reason people started using it to mean stupid or dumb. Mentally retarded people are anything but dumb. People with disabilities are for sure the most discriminated group of people. How many of you are against racism or sexism? But do you even think twice before you call someone "retarded"?
"Thats soooo retarded".
Honestly? You have no idea.

Once again LJG we all understand your staunch opposition to the use of the word "retarded' but I must ask again:

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH DARBEEVISION DARBLET?

You do realize that this is a forum that discusses the Darblet and our experiences with it but you continue to beat us over the head with your rigid ideology. I do not make fun of any handicapped people nor do I use the word "retarded" in my everyday conversation. The first amendment gives the dude the right to use the word "retarded' or any other word he wants to use and if you don't like it well I am sorry but you can either not read his posts or just find another forum to post on but you are really going overboard with this. Not only that but I doubt very highly that retarded is the most hateful and awful word in the English language I think we all here know what that single word is.

Never the less this is getting ridiculous don't you think ? We are not 5 years old here Please stop posting about "Retarded" please do post about the darblet and your experiences with it.

You know what I am going to be the better man and i will apologize personally that you were subjected to the word "retarded' I will go in the other room right now and beat myself senseless and then throw myself down a flight of stairs just for you. I hope this helps you feel better.
post #647 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 11:08 PM

Here is the site:

Hope it works out
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

This power supply looks good, however stick with 5V.
-DD

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by stick with 5V the power supply I listed is regulated at 5V 1000ma please elaborate do you think that power supply should be sufficient as a backup? Thanks for your help
post #648 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ronomy
Quote:
Here is the site:
Hope it works out
@Ronomy
Hi !!! Do you have one in mind that is of superb quality? i don't care about the cost just as long as it will not damage my darblet and it is reliable, I am just using the one that came with the darblet right now and have not bought a replacement yet but the darblet's warranty is only 90 days so I figured I would buy a couple of replacements. Thanks

Well the one I am using I can search for and get back to you. I ust grabbed one from work and may not be available to the public. Like I said your supply may work fine for 10 or more years so not sure why you want spares. The supply I am using is older so probably not available any more but there are others out there.
post #649 of 8336 Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Well the one I am using I can search for and get back to you. I ust grabbed one from work and may not be available to the public. Like I said your supply may work fine for 10 or more years so not sure why you want spares. The supply I am using is older so probably not available any more but there are others out there.

Thanks man appreciate the help. I always like better cleaner power supplies a lot of that stuff you get bundled with equipment sometimes is crap. Good in Good out. I use clean power filters and state of the art automatic voltage regulators and battery backups on all of my HT and computer gear gear cost me a lot but with all i have invested in this its small price to pay for piece of mind.
post #650 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:

Here is the site:
Hope it works out
Sorry I don't understand what you mean by stick with 5V the power supply I listed is regulated at 5V 1000ma please elaborate do you think that power supply should be sufficient as a backup? Thanks for your help

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you wrote "5V to 6V or higher." Tired eyes.

-DD
post #651 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Respectfully, I could not disagree more with the "find one setting that is optimum with the Darbee unit" and go with that for all bluray discs or sources or whatever. Maybe a ballpark setting but honestly each different source may require slight or more than slight tweaking from there. Depending on what you're after image wise with what it offers.

I'm with ajglass on this. I do not want processing to get in the way of watching movies, which is akin to the claim that audiophiles compulsively tweak their kit and never actually just listen to the music (of which I was guilty for many years). The goal is to find that sweet spot and then get back to the business of watching movies. I don't tweak my other video processing parameters on a per film basis; the Darblet, for me, should be no different.

Sure, I am aware of the potential weakness of this approach, for instance, I watched Midnight in Paris over the weekend and as a typical soft Woody Allen print the Darblet at 40% barely touched it. Then watched a couple of True Blood episodes at the same setting and could clearly see the improvements made by the Darblet. Both sources could perhaps have benefited from being dialled-in based on the content but I don't want to get into a situation where I'm never satisfied with the results and constantly tweaking...

In my system, at 40% HD mode, I find the Darblet "lifts the veil" on all sources without introducing obvious processing. Above that I feel that the image starts to look obviously processed, so that's where I'm leaving it for now. I may make small refinements moving forward, but the goal will to be find that one setting that works for the majority of sources and then I'll leave it alone.

I think the only concession I'd be prepared to make is when the source resolution is grossly different, eg with SD sources vs HD vs 4k. Each of these could well require different settings, but again, I'd hope that each resolution has a sweet spot for setting the Darblet.
VideoGrabber likes this.

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #652 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Now back on topic please...
I ordered mine from smarthome because avs wasn't replying to my email and now they are out of stock, oh the humanity[/quote]

Next time, shoot me an email and you will get a reply. smile.gif

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #653 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Ronomy
Quote:
Here is the site:
Hope it works out
@Ronomy

Thanks. I forgot to give connector size. smile.gif

post #654 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 394
I used the Darby last night for the first time on the BenQ W7000 in 3D mode. This is already a sharp single chip DLP projector, but found myself creeping over 40%, closer to 50% with a number of titles. For some reason, I like it more in 3D mode, whereas I usually keep it at 30-35% in 2D mode.

I went through various scenes in Avatar, Despicable Me 3D, Street Dance 3D (shot in native 3D, UK film), Imax Grand Canyon and Journey 2 the Island. It looks good at 45-50% on all these titles.

For reference, my screen is 142" 16:9, Dalite 2.8HP. Seating distance is 1.25SW or ~ 14 feet from the screen.
post #655 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks man appreciate the help. I always like better cleaner power supplies a lot of that stuff you get bundled with equipment sometimes is crap. Good in Good out. I use clean power filters and state of the art automatic voltage regulators and battery backups on all of my HT and computer gear gear cost me a lot but with all i have invested in this its small price to pay for piece of mind.

Well Darbee apparently ships with either the supply you got (cheap chinese supply) or this one http://www.digikey.es/product-detail/en/DA12-050US-M/454-1453-ND/2203624 . The Emerson is a much better power supply even spec'd for medical use. Some of you might have the Emerson. You could go spend a lot on a linear supply but I don't think you need to do that for this.
post #656 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night I watched The Grey. The film has a grainy look to it and is very contrasty. The Darblet helped but I couldn't go above 45% without the image looking over processed. Bright highlights looked overly bright if I used 70 or 80%. Just didn't look natural. Lower levels still help bring out the best though.
post #657 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Well Darbee apparently ships with either the supply you got (cheap chinese supply) or this one http://www.digikey.es/product-detail/en/DA12-050US-M/454-1453-ND/2203624 . The Emerson is a much better power supply even spec'd for medical use. Some of you might have the Emerson. You could go spend a lot on a linear supply but I don't think you need to do that for this.

Thanks for finding that. Looks like the one I have.
post #658 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpers View Post

Been lurking here since about page 4.
I'm very interested in this device. I have noticed that almost all the reviews have come from people with projectors. Is the device useful for LED/LCD displays? Mine is 55" and I'm wondering if I would see much difference.
Burt

Does the silence mean nobody is using the Darblet with an LCD/LED device?

The Consultant's Creed:
I can do it right.
I can do it cheap.
I can do it fast.
You get to choose any two.
post #659 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^

ajglass

122 Posts. Joined 8/2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by balpers

I'm very interested in this device. I have noticed that almost all the reviews have come from people with projectors. Is the device useful for LED/LCD displays? Mine is 55" and I'm wondering if I would see much difference.
Burt

My 55" circa-2007 Planar LCD shows a marked improvement in PQ with no artifacts.
- Andy
post #660 of 8336 Old 06-17-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

^^^
ajglass
122 Posts. Joined 8/2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by balpers
Burt
My 55" circa-2007 Planar LCD shows a marked improvement in PQ with no artifacts.
- Andy

My guess is that the Darblet's enhancements are really only noticeable on the large screens with projectors.   I think it would be very hard to see much diff with a 55" lcd tv.

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page