13Likes

post #6571 of 8055 Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogBalrog View Post

Can anybody help me here? If forced to, I'll just keep it connected to the blu ray player and forget about the other devices, but it would be nice to see the Darbee effect on everything.

Thanks for any information you might have that could help.

Suggest that you submit a trouble ticket here http://darbeevision.com/technical-support then post what you hear back from Darbee Support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 8055 Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks guys. I will contact Darbee support and confirm what firmware I am on. I bought the Darbee from Big River about 6 weeks ago, not sure if that means I'm on the latest/greatest firmware though.

I'll look into it!
post #6573 of 8055 Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Thanks guys. I will contact Darbee support and confirm what firmware I am on. I bought the Darbee from Big River about 6 weeks ago, not sure if that means I'm on the latest/greatest firmware though.

I'll look into it!

He was talking about the firmware for the Pioneer. The Darbee firmware is almost assuredly up to date. No change in that since August and many have been sold in the 6 months or so before yours and all have had the proper firmware.
post #6574 of 8055 Old 07-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

He was talking about the firmware for the Pioneer. The Darbee firmware is almost assuredly up to date. No change in that since August and many have been sold in the 6 months or so before yours and all have had the proper firmware.

Oh, OK, gotchya. Thanks.
post #6575 of 8055 Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Hello everyone.

I have the Darbee and I love it when it works. Sadly, it doesn't work (in the following configuration): ANY DEVICE ABOVE VIA HDMI > Pioneer VSX-822 Receiver > Darbee > Sharp XV-Z30000 Projector

I have used combinations of HDMI cables ranging from 50ft to 3ft. I have tried using all long cables, all short cables, and mixed varieties. I have also power cycled the Darbee at various times, and nothing works. Can anybody help me here?
Different equipment chains all react differently, but like you, I have a Pioneer VSX (mine is an 1120), and like you I had initial issues. The keys to getting my chain stable were to get powered Redmere HDMI cables in place (especially on my longest run of aboutt 45 feet) and to get rid of a dodgy Matrix switch. The post suggesting that you get Darby tech support involved is spot on. If you want to post more detailed information on exactly how you have things put together, that may trigger further comments from others. It sounds like you have one or more long HDMI runs, and Redmeres have helped several of us with those. Placing the Darblet at the projector (after the longest HDMI run) has helped others.

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #6576 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 01:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

I have set mine at 55% and leave it. Sure on some very clean sources 70% or so looks very good, but on a noisey source anything above 55% looks terrible, so I leave it at 55% and don't mess with it. Now IF I was having folks over for a movie night and was showing something super clean (like Avatar) I would kick it up. I find about 70-75%, even on a clean source looks too artificial and kind of reminds me of someone with the sharpness cranked up to the max.
Running at 70% with DirecTV HD.

There are impressive gains in "depth."
Unfortunately, it looks fairly "artificial."

Will continue to test....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #6577 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post

Different equipment chains all react differently, but like you, I have a Pioneer VSX (mine is an 1120), and like you I had initial issues. The keys to getting my chain stable were to get powered Redmere HDMI cables in place (especially on my longest run of aboutt 45 feet) and to get rid of a dodgy Matrix switch. The post suggesting that you get Darby tech support involved is spot on. If you want to post more detailed information on exactly how you have things put together, that may trigger further comments from others. It sounds like you have one or more long HDMI runs, and Redmeres have helped several of us with those. Placing the Darblet at the projector (after the longest HDMI run) has helped others.

This is really helpful. I'll pick up two Redmeres: one for the AVR Out and the other for the Darbee Out. If you think I need Redmeres for all my sources to AVR, I can get those too.

My distance is actually quite small: I'd say my projector is about 10 feet from my rack. I have the longer HDMI cables from another install. So, I can get two 6' Redmeres with a Darbee in between and that would suffice quite nice.

Hopefully that helps. I have a Pioneer AVR 1018 hooked up in another room that I can try out as well but would really prefer not to because of all the work it would take. The 1018 is actually quite nice, but the subwoofer out connection is dead so I can't use it in my HT.

Thanks again for the help. I'll pick up some Redmeres today.
post #6578 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 71
This might sound like a weird question - - but does the Darblet affect SACD processing at all?

I just bought my first couple SACD discs and I really enjoy them. I have an OPPO 103 player and use the "Pure Audio" function which does not send an HDMI video signal to the TV. (I also just keep the TV off anyway)

I know this is through HDMI and you're probably getting a video signal anyway but I was curious if it affects anything, audio wise (I don't think it does but some folks more technical than I might be able to chime in.)

I have a Pioneer SC65 AVR - - but no "native" DSD processing, so I set the OPPO to PCM.

I must say that the SACD's bring a whole new level to audio listening and in my next setup, I'll try to have complete matching speakers for the rears - - right now I have Paradigm Studio 60's V.2 with a CC690 center channel - - so the front is fine but space limits me in the back to the ADP 590's and a pair of Orb Mod2 speakers for back surrounds - - which are all great for movies.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #6579 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

+1 on placing the Darbee as close to the display as possible.
We tried various work arounds, but that "solved" the problems. My take is that there is that the Darbee emphasis is on signal processing, but not on a signal boost. That being said, they have already produced two models. I would not be surprised if the address this "known" issue in a future improvement. From my look/see, it's probably a cost/benefit thing. It works "out of the box" for 99% of the people. The few problems get blown out of proportion at places like AVS. Eventually they get solved...My $.02.
smile.gif
post #6580 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:

This is really helpful. I'll pick up two Redmeres: one for the AVR Out and the other for the Darbee Out. My distance is actually quite small: I'd say my projector is about 10 feet from my rack. I have the longer HDMI cables from another install. So, I can get two 6' Redmeres with a Darbee in between and that would suffice quite nice. Hopefully that helps. Thanks again for the help. I'll pick up some Redmeres today.

If you are able to use significantly shorter runs and make them Redmeres, that may help and/or solve. Forum sponsor Monoprice is a great source for those cables. But it is unclear exactly what your various cabling solutions have been so far in the failure mode you describe:

Sadly, this doesn't work at all: ANY DEVICE ABOVE VIA HDMI > Pioneer VSX-822 Receiver > Darbee > Sharp XV-Z30000 Projector

If you have previously run that without using any long HDMI runs in the chain, and it didn't work, I'm not sure the Redmeres alone will get you over the goal line. The Redmeres are only helping address signal loss.

Have you already read the advice elsewhere in this thread about turning off Deep Color, and other helpful setting changes, on your Pioneer? Those changes have reportedly been key to helping others. Another recurring theme is that HDMI runs of less than 5 feet have reportedly caused problems for some. Taking both of those approaches on board was part of my solution too.

Following those concepts, you might set up things so that you are going direct from the source of your choice, using exclusively shorter (but not < 5 foot) HDMI runs, and confirming that is genuinely stable. If you have two six foot Redmeres, use one of those on the Darblet to projector run.

You will probably need to watch for more than a few minutes to really get an answer on stability. Most of my drops would occur only after a half hour or so of viewing, and often during a scene change of some kind.

Once you know that's stable, change nothing except to involve the Pioneer using the other 6 foot Redmere.

Just ideas, for what it's worth. Maybe David or others will chime in. Keep us posted and good luck.

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #6581 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 01:15 PM

Liked: 12
I used to own a Darbee with my Panny 65GT50 plasma. I returned the Darbee because I felt the enhancements weren't worth the price. Yes I saw a difference, but were noticeable on still shots the best. I concluded that the Darbee would probably be best on larger screens. Fast forward 6 months to today...

I recently got a Benq W1070 and I am projecting a 105" picture. I am now curious about the Darbee again. Will the difference be more noticeable, even with fast movement scenes? I'd like to get an open box Darbee since I missed the 4th of July sale, but I know I won't be able to return it. The Benq obviously can't produce as nice of a picture as my Panny so I'd like to give it some help with the Darbee.

Anyone have the Benq W1070 with a Darbee?

Anyone know of any sales coming up?

Thanks!

post #6582 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Running at 70% with DirecTV HD.

There are impressive gains in "depth."
Unfortunately, it looks fairly "artificial."

Will continue to test....

50% should be your cut-off. Specific results will vary by display, but most people hover around 40-45%.

The Darblet is meant to be a subtle improvement. Once you get used to it, you should stop noticing it, until you take it away, when suddenly you'll find that the picture looks out of focus.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6583 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

I used to own a Darbee with my Panny 65GT50 plasma. I returned the Darbee because I felt the enhancements weren't worth the price. Yes I saw a difference, but were noticeable on still shots the best. I concluded that the Darbee would probably be best on larger screens. Fast forward 6 months to today...

I recently got a Benq W1070 and I am projecting a 105" picture. I am now curious about the Darbee again. Will the difference be more noticeable, even with fast movement scenes? I'd like to get an open box Darbee since I missed the 4th of July sale, but I know I won't be able to return it. The Benq obviously can't produce as nice of a picture as my Panny so I'd like to give it some help with the Darbee.

Anyone have the Benq W1070 with a Darbee?

Anyone know of any sales coming up?

Thanks!

Yes - and our stories are somewhat the same, but with a twist. I, too, had purchased a Darbee Darblet earlier (Xmas time) for my Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED TV. I really didn't see a great difference in the picture, so I sent it back.

Fast forward into March, 2013, and I added a BenQ W1080ST (virtually the same unit as the W1070 but short throw and no vertical adjustment) for my home theater. I decided to try the Darbee again, and the results were significant - - a much sharper picture with a big screen projector (100" Diagonal Screen - 16 X 9) and better colors.

Lastly - - I decided to try it out again on my Samsung LCD/LED and whoa, what a difference. Really noticeable this time - - sharper, great depth and unbelievable colors. I think I got a defective unit the first time (the remote didn't work - I had to toggle the unit itself).

I'm also using a Monoprice amplifier for both the TV and the Projector and I believe that helps with signal strength. I'm very, very happy with the Darblet and I purchased mine (open box return) from Solid Signal. It looked brand new to me (repackaged) and it was priced around $250 to $260 dollars - - no return policy outside of the unit being defective (which is great - - that sealed the deal for me.)

So, without a doubt, you will notice a big difference in the clarity of the picture with your projector - - a real no brainer (the Darblet) as far as I'm concerned. Hope this helps.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #6584 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

50% should be your cut-off. Specific results will vary by display, but most people hover around 40-45%.
Will turn it down to 50% tonite and see where that brings me.
If it comes in line with the other "detail enhancers" in my system, I'll send it back.
It has to prove to me it's $300 superior to what I have now.

post #6585 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Yes - and our stories are somewhat the same, but with a twist. I, too, had purchased a Darbee Darblet earlier (Xmas time) for my Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED TV. I really didn't see a great difference in the picture, so I sent it back.

Fast forward into March, 2013, and I added a BenQ W1080ST (virtually the same unit as the W1070 but short throw and no vertical adjustment) for my home theater. I decided to try the Darbee again, and the results were significant - - a much sharper picture with a big screen projector (100" Diagonal Screen - 16 X 9) and better colors.

Lastly - - I decided to try it out again on my Samsung LCD/LED and whoa, what a difference. Really noticeable this time - - sharper, great depth and unbelievable colors. I think I got a defective unit the first time (the remote didn't work - I had to toggle the unit itself).

I'm also using a Monoprice amplifier for both the TV and the Projector and I believe that helps with signal strength. I'm very, very happy with the Darblet and I purchased mine (open box return) from Solid Signal. It looked brand new to me (repackaged) and it was priced around $250 to $260 dollars - - no return policy outside of the unit being defective (which is great - - that sealed the deal for me.)

So, without a doubt, you will notice a big difference in the clarity of the picture with your projector - - a real no brainer (the Darblet) as far as I'm concerned. Hope this helps.

Ok ok fine. I'll give it another shot. Gotta wait for my new credit card to come in the mail first. eek.gif

post #6586 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I had to turn off Deep Color on the PS3 just to get my projector and it to communicate reliably. Actually, that was one of the biggest issues on the Mitsubishi HC3800 Projector forum. Turn off deep color and they'd stay connected.

As far as noticing the Darblet, ABSOLUTELY. For all it is a judgement call: Is the improvement worth the cost. Obviously the bigger the screen the more noticeable the enhancement. On both the 70 inch LCD and the 144 inch projector I like to turn off the Darbee now and again just to see what it's been doing. Then I turn it right back on and smile biggrin.gif

Will ANY of my guests notice it? Probably not. But I don't buy stuff for others to enjoy. tongue.gif
post #6587 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

But I don't buy stuff for others to enjoy. tongue.gif

They may be enjoying it and not know it... like my wife... who now enjoys sitting in the front row... but doesn't know why... and I'm not gonna tell her... as I've mentioned before.
post #6588 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

I had to turn off Deep Color on the PS3 just to get my projector and it to communicate reliably. Actually, that was one of the biggest issues on the Mitsubishi HC3800 Projector forum. Turn off deep color and they'd stay connected.

As far as noticing the Darblet, ABSOLUTELY. For all it is a judgement call: Is the improvement worth the cost. Obviously the bigger the screen the more noticeable the enhancement. On both the 70 inch LCD and the 144 inch projector I like to turn off the Darbee now and again just to see what it's been doing. Then I turn it right back on and smile biggrin.gif

Will ANY of my guests notice it? Probably not. But I don't buy stuff for others to enjoy. tongue.gif

Why did you have deep color on in the first place?
Nobody has any material with it.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
post #6589 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

They may be enjoying it and not know it... like my wife... who now enjoys sitting in the front row... but doesn't know why... and I'm not gonna tell her... as I've mentioned before.

Oh, MY WIFE KNOWS it. I make her sit through the on / off / on / off again Darbee experience almost everytime. lololol

She says, "So are you glad you bought it....again?" ha
post #6590 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Why did you have deep color on in the first place?
Nobody has any material with it.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the PS3 has it on by default. Or when I set it up I had no idea what it was and it sounded good. But I do think it was a default setting. Yea, that sounds better.
post #6591 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:

If it comes in line with the other "detail enhancers" in my system, I'll send it back.
I've been running it at 40-45% with Comcast-supplied cable TV. Curiously, I've noticed that when watching baseball games via DirecTV it seems to be able to "handle" a bit more, 50-55%. This varies by specific channel and content of course. I've programmed my Harmony 880 with the relevant buttons so it's easy to adjust on the fly within each activity.

Haven't really done any critical viewing via the Oppo BDP-83 yet, I basically have left it 45% and I've been happy with it. Difficult to quantify the value of the Darbee dollar-wise, I like what it does, does it improve my enjoyment by $260(July 4th deal/SmartHome), yes definitely, but that's just me.
post #6592 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Question, If you run the darbee in-between the blu ray player and the avr could you lose any audio quality? And is there any other way this set up could cause problems? thanks

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and RB-61 II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #6593 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Haven't really done any critical viewing via the Oppo BDP-83 yet, I basically have left it 45% and I've been happy with it.
I am somewhat doubtful the Darbee can exceed the 83 to any great degree.
The 83 has terrific tweakability.

I'll check it tonite on my Oppo 95 and see how it does.

post #6594 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

Your other detail enhancers will add artifacts to the picture. Properly set at less than 50%, the Darblet will not.

I would also recommend giving yourself a couple weeks to settle in with it. I had mixed feelings immediately after I installed the Darblet, but eventually I came to the conclusion that it makes everything look better with virtually no downsides.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6595 of 8055 Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

You really do need to turn it on and leave it on for a week or so. Then, turn it off and wonder who put vaseline on your screen.
post #6596 of 8055 Old 07-20-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

As a former Oppo 83 and current 93 and 103 owner I can say without hesitation the Darbee will make a noticeable difference. There are no equivalent tweaks in any of the Oppos. I use my Darbee almost exclusively for BDs.
post #6597 of 8055 Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

As a former Oppo 83 and current 93 and 103 owner I can say without hesitation the Darbee will make a noticeable difference. There are no equivalent tweaks in any of the Oppos. I use my Darbee almost exclusively for BDs.

Owned a 83 and now a 103 along with a Lumagen Radiance. The Darbee improves PQ in ways none of those sources can. Lumagen would not have added Darbee processing to their newer vps unless they thought it provided an improvement in PQ.
post #6598 of 8055 Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I've been running it at 40-45% with Comcast-supplied cable TV. Curiously, I've noticed that when watching baseball games via DirecTV it seems to be able to "handle" a bit more, 50-55%. This varies by specific channel and content of course.

Agreed, there are definitely upticks and downticks in image quality that vary by channel and content. Major sports events usually look great.

They really have to. Take baseball. Broadcasters pay MLB about $1.5 Billion a year for TV rights. The NFL is able to charge triple that, or about $5 Billion a year.

With those kinds of investments, networks need a ton of eyeballs on the games, to keep their advertising rates high enough to make the contracts work. That gives all of us best in class, eyeball-attracting images that the Darblet can sometimes go a tick higher on.

Works for me, since I'm sort of a sports junkie. biggrin.gif

post #6599 of 8055 Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:

...Major sports events usually look great....Broadcasters pay MLB about $1.5 Billion a year for TV rights. The NFL is able to charge triple that, or about $5 Billion a year.

With those kinds of investments, networks need a ton of eyeballs on the games, to keep their advertising rates high enough to make the contracts work. That gives all of us best in class, eyeball-attracting images that the Darblet can sometimes go a tick higher on.

Works for me, since I'm sort of a sports junkie. biggrin.gif

I am so looking forward to NFL season, especially now adding the Darbee. I think the number one reason the NFL has gained popularity so much in the last 10 years is due primarily to the HD coverage of the game. It is undeniably saturated with HD camera coverage. We see things never before possible that if you wish to "see" the game, you watch it on tv.
post #6600 of 8055 Old 07-20-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I am so looking forward to NFL season, especially now adding the Darbee. I think the number one reason the NFL has gained popularity so much in the last 10 years is due primarily to the HD coverage of the game. It is undeniably saturated with HD camera coverage. We see things never before possible that if you wish to "see" the game, you watch it on tv.

I bought my Darbee last August and then our local football team, The Falcons, had a winning season and I believe the Darbee was the reason. biggrin.gif

On a side note I had my second spontaneous factory reset some time last night. I don't mess around with the settings much so not sure why it did it.  

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page