Darbee vision darblet - Page 229 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 128Likes

post #6841 of 8784 Old 09-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

+1
Then of course there are the issues that an HTPC can bring to your system.

Such as...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 8784 Old 09-14-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It's fine that the reviewer has a different opinion of the product than I personally do, but his statement that it works best with low-resolution sources and not very well at all with Blu-ray is misleading and potentially factually inaccurate. Those of us who've used the Darblet extensively know that it has better results the better the quality of the source image. The Darblet enhances visibility of details in the source. A high-quality source like Blu-ray has a lot of details to enhance. A low-quality source like DVD or broadcast TV doesn't give the Darblet much to work it, and so the Darblet has little effect on those. This review states otherwise, and therefore misinforms readers who might have otherwise considered buying the product (or who will now buy it believing that it magically makes crummy TV broadcasts look like stunning high defintion, only to inevitably come away disappointed that it doesn't actually do that).

Agreed Josh. Anyone who says the Darblet works best for low quality sources doesn't know what he's talking about and I wouldn't trust any review that gave such an impression.
post #6843 of 8784 Old 09-14-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Agreed! Any enhancer can only enhance whatever data that is there to begin with. More detail = more the processor (any processor) can do a better job.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #6844 of 8784 Old 09-14-2013, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I finally had a chance to install my Darblet purchased a few months ago into my setup and it works fine with my 30ft Redmere cable and a 6-foot cable from the Kinivo switch to the Darblet.

My problem is that I'm getting the magenta flash constantly every 10 seconds or so when the Kinivo HDMI switch is on the WDTV Live as a source but NOT when it's set to either my Oppo 95 or Xbox 360 so I don't think it's the switch.

I've tried re-starting the WDTV Live but no luck. It's currently set for 1080p 60hz setting, and the colour setting is auto. Is there anything else I can do to try to eliminate the constant magenta flashing?
post #6845 of 8784 Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Set the WDTV to RGB Low.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #6846 of 8784 Old 09-14-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I still get what seem to be HDMI hand-shake issues with my Darblet in the chain. When I play Blu-Ray sometimes my center channel information is gone. I have to switch to another source (e.g. TV/cable box) and then switch back to Blu-Ray
to get sound correct. Never happened until I put the Darblet in the chain. I have a 50 foot HDMI cable going from my sources to the Darblet, then a 6 ft HDMI cable from the Darblet to the projector. I've also tried the Darblet at the other end of the chain (HDMI from sources to Darblet, out Darblet to 50 foot HDMI cable to projector) and had the same problem. It really pisses me off but it seems I'm stuck with this issue if I want to still
use the Darblet.
post #6847 of 8784 Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 PM

I set the WDTV Live to RGB Low and don't have the magenta flash anymore instead it's now a black one at about the same rate, every 5 seconds or so...it also won't keep that setting after coming out of standby, reverting to auto. The magenta flash comes back only if the WDTV Live goes into stand-by mode but otherwise it's a black flash.

I tried resetting the HDMI range on my Epson 8350 from "expanded" to "normal" thinking that might somehow help (as you can see I'm a noob) and the black flashing did stop briefly for exactly one video file then it started up again as soon as I switched back to the home screen. I'm stumped....
post #6848 of 8784 Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just got my Darblet, it exceeded my expectations. HD is the only setting worth using in my opinion for gaming and blu-ray, 40% is the right amount for my tastes, on a show like Boardwalk Empire with a lot of older characters, anything more mottles the face and brings out wrinkles a bit too much. It impressed me the most with my Xbox 360, Splinter Cell Blacklist gets a huge improvement, the environments seem much more dimensional, the increase in detail is great. The real strength is in highlights and reflective surfaces, saw that a lot in the Dark Knight chase scene, and giving background, especially landscapes, more dimension. Not a big fan of this with my ATT Uverse, the quality just isn't high enough, it looks more artificial. I really like what this does for my TV.
post #6849 of 8784 Old 09-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I still get what seem to be HDMI hand-shake issues with my Darblet in the chain. When I play Blu-Ray sometimes my center channel information is gone. I have to switch to another source (e.g. TV/cable box) and then switch back to Blu-Ray
to get sound correct. Never happened until I put the Darblet in the chain. I have a 50 foot HDMI cable going from my sources to the Darblet, then a 6 ft HDMI cable from the Darblet to the projector. I've also tried the Darblet at the other end of the chain (HDMI from sources to Darblet, out Darblet to 50 foot HDMI cable to projector) and had the same problem. It really pisses me off but it seems I'm stuck with this issue if I want to still
use the Darblet.

Hi Rich,
A Monoprice 8120 extender- important: with an ac adapter!- solved my handshake issues with a 35 foot Redmere hdmi cable length for my Darbee, Denon 4520 and Epson projector. Cheap to try and return if it doesn't work out.
post #6850 of 8784 Old 09-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Coming in late on this discussion, I read the first few pages and also the last couple.

Just wondering though -- I've just purchased a WD Live TV device to play video files from a hard drive, and I wonder if there has been any mention of the Darblet being used with one of these.

The WD I have is not the one that only streams, it has a USB port to plug in an external HD.

Thank you!

smile.gif
post #6851 of 8784 Old 09-15-2013, 01:04 PM

I have the same model of WDTV Live with the USB port on front and back and am experiencing the problems mentioned a few posts ago. This only occurred after inserting the Darblet into the setup. I'm hoping the others can suggest a possible fix....
post #6852 of 8784 Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaneef View Post

Hi Rich,
A Monoprice 8120 extender- important: with an ac adapter!- solved my handshake issues with a 35 foot Redmere hdmi cable length for my Darbee, Denon 4520 and Epson projector. Cheap to try and return if it doesn't work out.

Thanks, maybe I'll give that a try.

Cheers,
post #6853 of 8784 Old 09-15-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdad54 View Post

I have the same model of WDTV Live with the USB port on front and back and am experiencing the problems mentioned a few posts ago. This only occurred after inserting the Darblet into the setup. I'm hoping the others can suggest a possible fix....

Right Alex now that you mention it I did read that, thanks.

Maybe if Larry is still following this thread he could give us some advice.

smile.gif
post #6854 of 8784 Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Originally Posted by Josh Z

It's fine that the reviewer has a different opinion of the product than I personally do, but his statement that it works best with low-resolution sources and not very well at all with Blu-ray is misleading and potentially factually inaccurate. Those of us who've used the Darblet extensively know that it has better results the better the quality of the source image. The Darblet enhances visibility of details in the source. A high-quality source like Blu-ray has a lot of details to enhance. A low-quality source like DVD or broadcast TV doesn't give the Darblet much to work it, and so the Darblet has little effect on those. This review states otherwise, and therefore misinforms readers who might have otherwise considered buying the product (or who will now buy it believing that it magically makes crummy TV broadcasts look like stunning high defintion, only to inevitably come away disappointed that it doesn't actually do that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Agreed Josh. Anyone who says the Darblet works best for low quality sources doesn't know what he's talking about and I wouldn't trust any review that gave such an impression.

I have been following Darbee for over 2 1/2 years and remember emailing them and giving them props within just a couple of days in that 1st week of the Darblet's release, and saying to them the better the source the better DVP's performance. I had an RS50 JVC at the time at 8.5' wide 16x9 image on a bright, unforgiving Hi Power screen. Spectacular when fed a pristine source, but can also show all the warts and blemishes of any less than great images. There is no question about this. (best results on a pristine source vs lower quality source material)
post #6855 of 8784 Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 PM

Liked: 17
The Darbee really does a lot to improve my MKV files, some of the best performance I've got out of the unit so far as noticeable differences go cool.gif
post #6856 of 8784 Old 09-17-2013, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE MORRILL View Post

Has anyone used the Darbee in conjunction with an OPPO 103 and if so what has been your experience? At Sharpness setting of +1 on the OPPO, the picture appears to brittle for me.

I run the 103 with a Denon 4311c into a Sony HW30 onto a 130" Jamestown Screen -- 40% HD for Blurays. Remarkable picture. And when viewing a good 3D Blu ray -- Spetacular. The Avengers was the first disc I ran and the effect is beyond words. After some reading I found that the Darbee process enhances 3D.

Enjoyl
post #6857 of 8784 Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM

Full Pop 50%
post #6858 of 8784 Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Question: anyone experience the tv screen going black for a couple seconds when a tv commercials come on? Mine intermittently goes black when a commercial comes on, then it goes to the commercial. It goes black for just a couple seconds then back to picture. It may go black at the start of the commercial, but not when the commercial ends. Or vise versa. This happing to anyone else?

Directv to Anthem D2v to Darblet to Sharp Elite PRO-70x5fd.

Darblet HD 47%

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, lighter wallet
post #6859 of 8784 Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Question: anyone experience the tv screen going black for a couple seconds when a tv commercials come on? Mine intermittently goes black when a commercial comes on, then it goes to the commercial. It goes black for just a couple seconds then back to picture. It may go black at the start of the commercial, but not when the commercial ends. Or vise versa. This happing to anyone else?

Directv to Anthem D2v to Darblet to Sharp Elite PRO-70x5fd.

Darblet HD 47%

I have a Tivo Premiere and Oppo 103 feeding into separate Darbee's that then feed a Lumagen Radiance which outputs to a 70X5. Previously had only one Darbee with same sources but located after Radiance then to 70X5. Never had a problem like you describe. Don't think the 70X5 is the problem. Try STB direct to Darbee and see if AVR is problem. Also make sure all HDMI cables are 6 ft. or longer. Good Luck.
post #6860 of 8784 Old 09-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a SIM2 Lumis 3D-S and recently got it hooked up with an eeColor Pro CMS processor that supports 65x65x65 3D-LUT. The results are truly amazing, and even better than what I had from earlier with a Lumagen with 5x5x5x 3D LUT.

I have also had a Darbee in the chain up til now, between the Lumagen and the Sim2 projector, but find that it now actually decreases the picture quality when I have got the eeColor. Mostly it is about lag when fast panning etc I can see a clearer and sharper picture without the Darbee. It is not much, but to a point that it is noticeable so I decided to remove it.
post #6861 of 8784 Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
HD 60% for me. ;-)

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #6862 of 8784 Old 09-18-2013, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I picked one up and installed yesterday. There was a difference but it was slight at best. I went from 40% all the way up to 105% and yes it did work but i just dont think it works good enough for the 327.00 (shipped) asking price. seriously considering sending back.....Tested using blu ray via oppo-95...

So yes it works but man i was really expecting more...Anyone else with similar results? Everyone seems to be blown away and i was expecting to be also.

Am I missing something????
post #6863 of 8784 Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr100 View Post

I picked one up and installed yesterday. There was a difference but it was slight at best. I went from 40% all the way up to 105% and yes it did work but i just dont think it works good enough for the 327.00 (shipped) asking price. seriously considering sending back.....Tested using blu ray via oppo-95...

So yes it works but man i was really expecting more...Anyone else with similar results? Everyone seems to be blown away and i was expecting to be also.

What size is your display? What is the display's resolution? What is your angle of view?
post #6864 of 8784 Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 3445
Quote:

I agree. Sold my Drablet on eBay months ago. Good riddance.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #6865 of 8784 Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Quote:

I agree. Sold my Drablet on eBay months ago. Good riddance.

May I ask a question? Why do you still frequent this forum then? And I'm not trying to start a argument or be mean or any of that. I just don't frequent forums of things I don't own or aren't interested in owning. If this question upsets you I apologize I'm just curious more than anything. Thanks

GO BLUE
post #6866 of 8784 Old 09-18-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 3445
confused.gif

Umm, I don't frequent the Drablet thread. If I want to look at overly processed images, I'd buy a Velveeta log and look at processed "cheese".wink.gif. Simply saw a question and gave an answer. I see you did not give an answer to his question. Interesting.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #6867 of 8784 Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

confused.gif

Umm, I don't frequent the Drablet thread. If I want to look at overly processed images, I'd buy a Velveeta log and look at processed "cheese".wink.gif. Simply saw a question and gave an answer. I see you did not give an answer to his question. Interesting.

He did not provide enough information to provide an answer. I asked him more questions to clarify.

What display did you try the "Drablet" with? I'm just curious how different display types effect the end result.
post #6868 of 8784 Old 09-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Quote:

confused.gif

He did not provide enough information to provide an answer. I asked him more questions to clarify.

What display did you try the "Drablet" with? I'm just curious how different display types effect the end result.

I think he was talking to me. I don't want an argument but you obviously do frequent here or how would you know of the question? rolleyes.gif

I didn't answer the question because I feel there is plenty of info already in this forum that it'd be redundant. But I will if it makes you happy.smile.gif I use HD 50% on a 159" inch screen at a seating distance of approximately 14' with a Mitsubishi HC6800 projector.
Made a huge improvement.

But I again am not looking for a argument so I'll drop it. Have a good day. And I'm being sincere not sarcastic. I say this because tone is hard to discern in written form and people have taken this wrong in the past.
Mad Norseman likes this.

GO BLUE
post #6869 of 8784 Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello...I have a 60 inch Sony KDS 60A3000 RPTV 1080x24 ...Its getting a little long in the tooth but still looks good....Viewing angle is straight on (sitting directly in front of the TV).....I messed with it for about an hour last night...Again I did see a difference but based on reviews and even the darblet website was expecting more "pop"
post #6870 of 8784 Old 09-18-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello...I have a 60 inch Sony KDS 60A3000 RPTV 1080x24 ...Its getting a little long in the tooth but still looks good....Viewing angle is straight on (sitting directly in front of the TV).....I messed with it for about an hour last night...Again I did see a difference but based on reviews and even the darblet website was expecting more "pop"

Sorry, I asked "viewing angle" but I meant "angle of view". I notice most when sitting at 1 sw but notice some at 1.6 sw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page