11Likes

post #7741 of 8050 Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
In the short time that I've had the Darblet, I've noticed a few things when using it with the AVS HD 709 test patterns:

1. In the Black Clipping pattern, setting the Darblet any higher than 35% will create vertical lines in at least the lowest visible bar (17).

2. In the Sharpness & Overscan pattern, setting the Darblet to Game or Full Pop will create artifacts. We already knew about this one...

3. In the Grayscale Ramp pattern, sending a 10-bit or 12-bit signal to the Darblet will result in some form of banding, even with the Darblet at 0%.

I realize this might be unique to my setup, but I'm curious if others are seeing similar things.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 8050 Old 02-25-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

The original release firmware had a bug in that it output RGB color space no matter what the color space input (e.g. 422, 444). It was supposed to output the same color space as input after processing. If your display has no problems with RGB then there is no reason to go thru the hassle of getting it updated.

Yeah... I think there hasn't been a fw upgrade since August of last year.
post #7743 of 8050 Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

I just emailed them as well. Will let you know if and when they respond. Which number did you try? The 657 or the 714 area code?

I tried the 657 area code, no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

The original release firmware had a bug in that it output RGB color space no matter what the color space input (e.g. 422, 444). It was supposed to output the same color space as input after processing. If your display has no problems with RGB then there is no reason to go thru the hassle of getting it updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Yeah... I think there hasn't been a fw upgrade since August of last year.

I recently bought my unit off ebay. It has the most recent fw of 1.3.21 but it has an older sw version of 2.6.2137 that i cant find any info about. My unit does not have the advanced settings menu for 1% increments.
post #7744 of 8050 Old 02-26-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

In the short time that I've had the Darblet, I've noticed a few things when using it with the AVS HD 709 test patterns:

1. In the Black Clipping pattern, setting the Darblet any higher than 35% will create vertical lines in at least the lowest visible bar (17).

2. In the Sharpness & Overscan pattern, setting the Darblet to Game or Full Pop will create artifacts. We already knew about this one...

3. In the Grayscale Ramp pattern, sending a 10-bit or 12-bit signal to the Darblet will result in some form of banding, even with the Darblet at 0%.

I realize this might be unique to my setup, but I'm curious if others are seeing similar things.

Using both the S&M 1 and 2 releases I have not seen any of those problems with the Darbee in HD mode at 50%. None of the professional reviews to my knowledge have identified those kind of problems.
post #7745 of 8050 Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

You're right, I think it is unique to your setup. I use the AVS HD 709 test patterns every 500 hours to check the light output on my projector. I've never seen any lines or artifacts at HD 40%.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7746 of 8050 Old 02-26-2014, 02:03 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. My issues with the patterns are most likely related to the xvYCC color space mismatch I wrote about on the previous page. Seems to be unique to Realtek-based media players. I emailed Darbee support but haven't gotten a response yet.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #7747 of 8050 Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

giomania,

I've only experimented briefly with the Lumagen picture enhancements, and only with the adaptive contrast. It "works" but I'm not yet sure about my opinion on it and whether I"ll use it at all. With this new projector I've already got a lot of new picture settings to juggle and evaluate, so I've yet to get a handle on the Lumagen picture controls. I'll certainly report back (in the Lumagen thread) when I have more time to do so.

The adaptive contrast function in the Lumagen is only there because it is included in the Genum processing chip they are using for some of the functions. I like it when watching hockey or basketball set to 1 because it seems to make the ice look brighter and the basketball court cleaner. makes it look more like what I see when I go to an actual game.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #7748 of 8050 Old 02-27-2014, 03:08 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Good news directly from the source:

A new firmware update will most likely be ready within a month. The only fix I know of at this time is the disabling of xvYCC support in the Darblet, which will force devices that output that color space to output YCC only.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #7749 of 8050 Old 02-27-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:

Good news directly from the source:

A new firmware update will most likely be ready within a month. The only fix I know of at this time is the disabling of xvYCC support in the Darblet, which will force devices that output that color space to output YCC only.

OK, translate that into layman's terms.  Does that fix a problem that I might not be experiencing, or is it an enhancement to performance that is a "must-have"?  Keep in mind that to get a firmware update, you need to return the device to Darbee, and there would likely be a fee involved as well as shipping charges.

post #7750 of 8050 Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

OK, translate that into layman's terms.  Does that fix a problem that I might not be experiencing, or is it an enhancement to performance that is a "must-have"?  Keep in mind that to get a firmware update, you need to return the device to Darbee, and there would likely be a fee involved as well as shipping charges.

It fixes, or rather works around a problem that someone with xvYCC in their video chain would experience. You would see extremely elevated black levels (brightness) and everything would look washed out.

Now, again, that is the only fix I was told of, because it relates directly to an issue I have with the Darblet. That does not necessarily mean it will be the only fix or change in the firmware. We will all have to wait and see what's going to be announced. I just wanted to give people a heads up that there will actually be a new firmware after almost two years wink.gif

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #7751 of 8050 Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Thanks for clarifying. I am not experiencing those issue. I hope the fix resolves your issues.
post #7752 of 8050 Old 02-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

It fixes, or rather works around a problem that someone with xvYCC in their video chain would experience. You would see extremely elevated black levels (brightness) and everything would look washed out.

Now, again, that is the only fix I was told of, because it relates directly to an issue I have with the Darblet. That does not necessarily mean it will be the only fix or change in the firmware. We will all have to wait and see what's going to be announced. I just wanted to give people a heads up that there will actually be a new firmware after almost two years wink.gif

I realize things may have changed since the writing of this article but what component do you have in your chain that outputs xvYCC? PC graphics card? Just curious.
http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-calibration/hdmi-black-levels-xvycc-rgb
post #7753 of 8050 Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I realize things may have changed since the writing of this article but what component do you have in your chain that outputs xvYCC? PC graphics card? Just curious.
http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-calibration/hdmi-black-levels-xvycc-rgb

It's a Realtek RTD1186-based Mede8er MED600X3D media player. Unfortunately, there is no option to toggle xvYCC on or off in the Mede8er or the TV. Without the Darblet, everything works fine and levels are exactly where they're supposed to be. With the Darblet, though, there's a huge shift. I guess the Darbee guys already knew about this before I even contacted them, because they told me about the fix being in their soon to be released firmware update.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #7754 of 8050 Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Liked: 28
Quote:

It's a Realtek RTD1186-based Mede8er MED600X3D media player. Unfortunately, there is no option to toggle xvYCC on or off in the Mede8er or the TV. Without the Darblet, everything works fine and levels are exactly where they're supposed to be. With the Darblet, though, there's a huge shift. I guess the Darbee guys already knew about this before I even contacted them, because they told me about the fix being in their soon to be released firmware update.

Interesting. I have a MED1000X3D, which I believe has the same Realtek RTD1186 chip. Is this something that would be really noticeable, because I have not noticed a huge shift. I do have a Lumagen XS3D between the Darblet and the display, so maybe that makes a difference?

Thanks.

Mark
post #7755 of 8050 Old 02-28-2014, 09:48 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Interesting. I have a MED1000X3D, which I believe has the same Realtek RTD1186 chip. Is this something that would be really noticeable, because I have not noticed a huge shift. I do have a Lumagen XS3D between the Darblet and the display, so maybe that makes a difference?

Thanks.

Mark
You would only notice it if your display also supports and accepts an xvYCC signal. It's also possible that the Lumagen doesn't output in xvYCC and converts the Mede8er signal to YCC. In my setup, there's currently no way to turn xvYCC off. The Mede8er sees xvYCC as its best output option and will always send that out if the next EDID device in the chain supports it. That's the Darblet, in my case. With the new firmware, the Darblet's EDID will tell the Mede8er that it only accepts YCC. Problem solved, hopefully.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #7756 of 8050 Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Your JVC projector also is way more sophisticated than my Sharp TV. Even though yours doesn't seem to support xvYCC, it has options for input signal and color space.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #7757 of 8050 Old 02-28-2014, 11:18 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Liked: 28
Quote:

You would only notice it if your display also supports and accepts an xvYCC signal. It's also possible that the Lumagen doesn't output in xvYCC and converts the Mede8er signal to YCC. In my setup, there's currently no way to turn xvYCC off. The Mede8er sees xvYCC as its best output option and will always send that out if the next EDID device in the chain supports it. That's the Darblet, in my case. With the new firmware, the Darblet's EDID will tell the Mede8er that it only accepts YCC. Problem solved, hopefully.

Thanks for the explanation. I usually turn off deep color, if possible, in the settings of any given device. So I think this is the second time that Darbee Vision has had to update the firmware to correct for HDMI-related issues with other equipment. My system was affected by the first firmware anomaly, but glad to see this time I am not.

Mark
post #7758 of 8050 Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Just wanted to pop in.

Using the 103D Oppo for awhile but just started tinkering with Darbee. So far I find that Hi-Def and 40% on my VT50 offers some "sharpness" to parts of the image, but I havent been able to find any negatives, yet.

Using it for Blu-ray, OTA and Directv.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200
post #7759 of 8050 Old 02-28-2014, 02:19 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Thanks for the explanation. I usually turn off deep color, if possible, in the settings of any given device. So I think this is the second time that Darbee Vision has had to update the firmware to correct for HDMI-related issues with other equipment. My system was affected by the first firmware anomaly, but glad to see this time I am not.

Mark
There could of course be other fixes and improvements in this new firmware that everyone would benefit from. We just don't know that yet biggrin.gif

Don't confuse xvYCC with Deep Color, though. They are two different things. Deep Color is and has always been supported and working with the Darblet. It simply increases the bit depth of the color gamut from 8-bit to either 10-bit or 12-bit. There should be no visible difference in actual content, simply because nothing commercially available supports it at this time. It might eliminate some banding, though, so it doesn't hurt to turn it on.

xvYCC, on the other hand, extends the existing YCbCr color space. In theory, this is all good, but until recently, there hasn't been any content encoded in xvYCC either.

I would prefer Darbee fix the issue rather than turn xvYCC off completely, but I'll take the workaround over the level issue any day smile.gif

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #7760 of 8050 Old 03-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Thanks.Im about to set up a new Yamaha 673 with oppo and darbee and a Roku.Ill try the first way that gave you issues in order to get my roku into the darbee mix but if it causes issues Ill go with your other way and forget about the Roku using Darbee processing.This is my first time running HDMI through a receiver since I always felt direct connection between oppo and screen was way to go but I missed out on the blue ray sound bump up.Even with direct connection from oppo to Darbee to screen I sometimes would get a brief pink screen when I ejected a dvd but only for a second.

Some AVR have a pass thru. If your Yamaha does, then it will not affect the Oppo's pq.
Depending on which Oppo you have, it may have two hdmi outs. If yours does, like the 103 I have, then you can run one hmdi to your monitor for picture and the other hdmi out of the Oppo to your Yamaha for digital sound.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #7761 of 8050 Old 03-02-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Im using oppo 83 but everything is going great.Using 10 ft HDMI cables into and out of yamaha through the darbee and no sign of a pink screen.

Matt
post #7762 of 8050 Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Liked: 11
I also get a pink screen when I turn on my oppo 103 and my denon 4520 switches to the bd input,I have the
Pass through set on the avr and 1080p forced on the oppo, I not sure if the darblet has anything to do with it.sometimes it will flash pink several times before things seem to lock in.
post #7763 of 8050 Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoexxl View Post

What about the new model coming out. The Darbee DVP-5100... Wouldn't it be better off to go with the newer model?
Will be the same device in a fancy rack mounted case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

I am joining the darbee club. Just picked up a new unit on Ebay for a great deal!
Correct wink.gif
post #7764 of 8050 Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 AM

Liked: 10
I have been using Darbee Darblet DVP-5000 for over a year now and it's been working just fine, until recently when I unplugged it and move it form my home theater room to my bedroom and it just doesn't work anymore.
It seems like no power is going in to the darblet at all. Does anyone have this issue? and how can I fix this?

Panasonic PT-AE8000|Magnum Screen Microfine 4K 110"|XLO HTPro 10m.|Oppo95|XLO HTPro 1m.x2|Darbee Darblet|WireWorld Silver Starlight 6 1m.|Anthem MRX500|KEF LS50 x 6|MIT Magnum S3 bw(FL/FR)|MIT AVT1s(Center)|MIT 14/2(Surround)|SVS SB13-Ultra
post #7765 of 8050 Old 03-10-2014, 02:31 AM

First off get a multimeter and check the voltage and amps coming from the power supply to make sure proper power is getting to the darbee.
post #7766 of 8050 Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post

First off get a multimeter and check the voltage and amps coming from the power supply to make sure proper power is getting to the darbee.

This power supply came in the box with darbee, do I still need to check it?

Panasonic PT-AE8000|Magnum Screen Microfine 4K 110"|XLO HTPro 10m.|Oppo95|XLO HTPro 1m.x2|Darbee Darblet|WireWorld Silver Starlight 6 1m.|Anthem MRX500|KEF LS50 x 6|MIT Magnum S3 bw(FL/FR)|MIT AVT1s(Center)|MIT 14/2(Surround)|SVS SB13-Ultra
post #7767 of 8050 Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knot_m3 View Post

This power supply came in the box with darbee, do I still need to check it?

Yes. It's to check that there is nothing wrong with the power supply. Basically it the power supply is fine, but your Darbee isn't turning on then you know the Darbee has a problem, while if the amps from the power supply are too low or the voltage is incorrect by more than +/- 0.5 volts it might be the power supply and I would get a new power supply to check if that is the problem.
post #7768 of 8050 Old 03-15-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Will this work for me since I have a 50 foot cable run to my projector? I assume I would put it close to my projector and then have a very short HDMI cord running from the darbee to my projector.
post #7769 of 8050 Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 AM

I wouldnt be surprised if it worked fine. I run my Darblet first to a monoprice amp/splitter and then that goes to a 25' DVI-HDMI cable and a 35' HDMI cable. Zero issues.

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106". Secondary: Panasonic Viera TC-P65ST30.
Paradigm Studio V.5: 20 (5) & ADP-590 (2). Hsu: VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2).
Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA-5. Oppo BDP-93 & DarbeeVision DVP 5000.
post #7770 of 8050 Old 03-15-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type A View Post

I wouldnt be surprised if it worked fine. I run my Darblet first to a monoprice amp/splitter and then that goes to a 25' DVI-HDMI cable and a 35' HDMI cable. Zero issues.

Cool, thanks Type A.

I didn't get a chance to read much of the thread but did read the reviews on Amazon.

Is the consensus that this makes a pretty obvious difference and is worth the money? Should I wait for this firmware upgrade I read about on recent posts before ordering?
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page