VBB
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by norml4721 View Post

one more question. Did the darbee come with any other hardcopy manual than the Quick start guide ?
No other manual, not that you would need one really. The few menu options are all self-explanatory, and the website has a more detailed manual in PDF format.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 8191 Old 03-31-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Even if you have mixed feelings about it at first, find a reasonable setting and leave the Darblet in place for a couple weeks before you pass judgment on it. You may need some time to settle in with it. I did.

Constantly flipping the unit on and off will draw attention to the processing, which is ultimately not what you want to do, because your brain gets distracted worrying about which picture is "correct." Ideally, you should just let the device do its thing and forget that it's even there. If you find that you're not enjoying the picture after a couple weeks, take it out. Quite likely, however, leaving the Darblet in place for a little while will reset your expectations for what the picture should look like. Removing it at that point will make everything seem dull and soft without it.
Sup4Me likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #7833 of 8191 Old 03-31-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
My own experience was to begin rising up the settings options from 35 HD at the beginning to my present setting of Game at 53 and this I have been with and loving for over a year.I guess living with something for a while makes you feel more comfortable about taking some chances.

Matt
post #7834 of 8191 Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi Guys :

thanks for the advise. You are absolutely correct . I am that instant gradification guy.I will leave it in place and see how I feel about it. My home theater is really starting to come together.

Now just one more sub and I will be done for awhile. I might get one with a little more thump. I really have to stop spending money. Oh Well its only money.

Thanks

Norm L
post #7835 of 8191 Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 752
I just wish that the Darblet had separate memory settings. That way game could be one setting and the others would also have a separate setting. I'll switch it to game or full pop with animation but I won't change the percentage because it's too many changes to deal with. Since at one sitting I might go back and forth several times with different content or between my game systems.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #7836 of 8191 Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 AM

Hi ::
There are already way to many adjustments available to me. once in awhile my wife will say stop playng around and watch the TV.

Norm L
post #7837 of 8191 Old 04-01-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tough to stop flipping your darbee remote as a child at the beginning, Norm L. Hard not to check and check the difference btw on and off. smile.gif
It is obvious that your wife have more attention to watch the video with better contrast than you do. You are disturbing her. As advised by others, You should keep a setting you like most for a few days, then switch it off to see the result. Happy viewing.
post #7838 of 8191 Old 04-02-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by norml4721 View Post

Hi ::
There are already way to many adjustments available to me. once in awhile my wife will say stop playng around and watch the TV.

Norm L

Sorry that is happening to you. Far better to have the wife say stop watching TV and let's play around.
old corps and Mad Norseman like this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #7839 of 8191 Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My darblet has reset itself twice in the last two days, is this the start of things going south with the unit or will it
Sort it out on its own?, It has worked flawlessly since Xmas.
post #7840 of 8191 Old 04-10-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Mine do it every 3-4 months with no explainable reason why. PITA to reset everything but frequency hasn't changed.
post #7841 of 8191 Old 04-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingersol1211 View Post

My darblet has reset itself twice in the last two days, is this the start of things going south with the unit or will it
Sort it out on its own?, It has worked flawlessly since Xmas.

Mine will also do the same thing about every 3 or 4 months with no apparent reason. Then I have to go in a reset it all up again. Frustrating. confused.gif

Steven J
post #7842 of 8191 Old 04-10-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven414 View Post

Mine will also do the same thing about every 3 or 4 months with no apparent reason. Then I have to go in a reset it all up again. Frustrating. confused.gif
Sounds albout right for my case as well. I am still on the original FW though, but not sure if that matters or not.
post #7843 of 8191 Old 04-11-2014, 03:46 AM

Liked: 13
Hi all. Could anyone offer me advice please? All of a sudden my darbees menu doesn't show. Neither does the percentage in demo mode. Still get the scrolling line but no info on what it's set at or menu. Kind of stressed. Thanks in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction for a fix.

post #7844 of 8191 Old 04-11-2014, 04:00 AM

Liked: 13
Never mind. Bluray player had a s@#tfit. Good now.

post #7845 of 8191 Old 04-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I just wish that the Darblet had separate memory settings. That way game could be one setting and the others would also have a separate setting. I'll switch it to game or full pop with animation but I won't change the percentage because it's too many changes to deal with. Since at one sitting I might go back and forth several times with different content or between my game systems.

The Darbee option in the Radiance video processor allows you to set different Darbee settings for each input.

You can also use the four User Memory buttons on the remote to store different Darbee settings.

Randy Freeman
post #7846 of 8191 Old 04-11-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post

The Darbee option in the Radiance video processor allows you to set different Darbee settings for each input.

You can also use the four User Memory buttons on the remote to store different Darbee settings.

Randy Freeman

That's good to know. That sounds like a good benefit of having it built in.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #7847 of 8191 Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM

Liked: 10
Would I notice any difference between an Oppo BDP-103D and a BDP-103 with Darblet? I would like Darbee, but would rather put the $100 premium for the built in Darbee towards a Darblet and be able to use it with all of my sources (switched through my AV receiver). I do know that the Oppo has an HDMI input, but I would have to run Zone 2 HDMI from my receiver to that input, then set Zone 1 HDMI to the oppo - a little too convoluted for my liking.
I have also heard that the Marvell chip in the non "D" oppo is slightly better than its replacement in the "D"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
post #7848 of 8191 Old 04-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post

Would I notice any difference between an Oppo BDP-103D and a BDP-103 with Darblet? I would like Darbee, but would rather put the $100 premium for the built in Darbee towards a Darblet and be able to use it with all of my sources (switched through my AV receiver). I do know that the Oppo has an HDMI input, but I would have to run Zone 2 HDMI from my receiver to that input, then set Zone 1 HDMI to the oppo - a little too convoluted for my liking.
I have also heard that the Marvell chip in the non "D" oppo is slightly better than its replacement in the "D"

I have a stand alone Darblet with my 103 and other 1080p signals (5 total) and I love i the PQ. I have read varying opinions on the Marvell vs the other video chip and they all seem to add up to zero-sum between the two.

That said, I haven't seen the 103d
post #7849 of 8191 Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

would rather put the $100 premium for the built in Darbee towards a Darblet and be able to use it with all of my sources (switched through my AV receiver).

I have a 103 with an outboard Darblet -- I run the output from HDMI through the Darblet to the projector and connect my Dish Hopper through the 103, so all of my sources run through the Darblet. Using the 103 to process the Hopper video greatly improves the PQ, not up to a good bluray level but much better than native.

Have not auditioned the 103D, can't imagine Oppo would present a less that stellar product.

Does that help?
post #7850 of 8191 Old 04-15-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The OPPO 103D is a superior player worth the extra $100, whether you use Darbee or not. The Marvell QDEO chip in the 103 forcibly applies DNR to the HDMI 1 output even if you turn DNR off in the setup menu. (Marvell considers this a "feature," not a "flaw.") The 103D ditched the QDEO chip for a superior VRS chip that doesn't have this problem.

Josh Z

post #7851 of 8191 Old 04-15-2014, 12:40 PM

I'm not thinking about running all of my sour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The OPPO 103D is a superior player worth the extra $100, whether you use Darbee or not. The Marvell QDEO chip in the 103 forcibly applies DNR to the HDMI 1 output even if you turn DNR off in the setup menu. (Marvell considers this a "feature," not a "flaw.") The 103D ditched the QDEO chip for a superior VRS chip that doesn't have this problem.

Thanks! I'm now considering this:
Connecting HDMI 1 out of the Oppo directly to my TV and HDMI 2 to my receiver for sound.
I would have all of my other sources connected to my AV receiver and have its HDMI out connected to the HDMI in of the oppo. (basically using the receiver as a switch - HDMI processing turned off)

This way, I can take advantage of the (what I imagine is) superior upscaling of the oppo for my other sources (as supposed to upscaling by the receiver) and Darbee (if I get the 103D). This would eliminate the need for a Darblet, and still allow me to have Darbee processing for all of my sources.

Thoughts?
post #7852 of 8191 Old 04-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I find there are competing opinions about all of this. I asked about the DNR thing In the Oppo thread and it seems to have been debunked.

Oppo themselves has said that the main CPU does most of the heavy lifting in both models, which is why the performance of the video processing is identical minus the Darbee effect.
post #7853 of 8191 Old 04-15-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I find there are competing opinions about all of this. I asked about the DNR thing In the Oppo thread and it seems to have been debunked.

Oppo themselves has said that the main CPU does most of the heavy lifting in both models, which is why the performance of the video processing is identical minus the Darbee effect.

I haven't kept up with the specific threads for the 103 or 103D, so I don't know what "debunking" has gone on. However, you can see the difference the QDEO chip causes by comparing the output of HDMI 1 (which goes through QDEO) to HDMI 2 (which bypasses it and uses the MediaTek decoder chip for all processing). HDMI 1 is softer. The DNR is fairly mild on high-def sources like Blu-ray, but much stronger on standard-def sources like DVD, and there's no way to turn it off.

Josh Z

post #7854 of 8191 Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Connecting HDMI 1 out of the Oppo directly to my TV and HDMI 2 to my receiver for sound.
I would have all of my other sources connected to my AV receiver and have its HDMI out connected to the HDMI in of the oppo. (basically using the receiver as a switch - HDMI processing turned off)

This way, I can take advantage of the (what I imagine is) superior upscaling of the oppo for my other sources (as supposed to upscaling by the receiver) and Darbee (if I get the 103D). This would eliminate the need for a Darblet, and still allow me to have Darbee processing for all of my sources.

Thoughts?

So you want to route all of your other video sources through your receiver for switching, then into the OPPO, which is connected by HDMI 2 back to the receiver for audio? I don't think that will work. You have a conflict between the video source going into one receiver input and the OPPO's audio going into another receiver input simultaneously.

You could buy an HDMI switcher device from Monoprice to put in front of the OPPO.

Josh Z

post #7855 of 8191 Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I haven't kept up with the specific threads for the 103 or 103D, so I don't know what "debunking" has gone on. However, you can see the difference the QDEO chip causes by comparing the output of HDMI 1 (which goes through QDEO) to HDMI 2 (which bypasses it and uses the MediaTek decoder chip for all processing). HDMI 1 is softer. The DNR is fairly mild on high-def sources like Blu-ray, but much stronger on standard-def sources like DVD, and there's no way to turn it off.

If you are only outputting one signal through one cable, does using HDMI2 have any drawbacks? Not arguing, honestly asking ...
post #7856 of 8191 Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:

So you want to route all of your other video sources through your receiver for switching, then into the OPPO, which is connected by HDMI 2 back to the receiver for audio? I don't think that will work. You have a conflict between the video source going into one receiver input and the OPPO's audio going into another receiver input simultaneously.

You could buy an HDMI switcher device from Monoprice to put in front of the OPPO.

For when I'm doing anything other than playing a DVD, I believe the receiver would use the audio from whichever HDMI source I have selected, then output the video to the oppo, which then processes it and outputs it to the TV. When I'm playing a DVD from the Oppo, it would output video via HDMI 1 out and audio (to my receiver) via HDMI 2 out (this setup is outlined in the manual)
post #7857 of 8191 Old 04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

If you are only outputting one signal through one cable, does using HDMI2 have any drawbacks? Not arguing, honestly asking ...

It's been a while since I've followed the OPPO 103 threads, and I don't remember the specifics, unfortunately. If looking to buy an OPPO Blu-ray player now, and the extra $100 pushes the 103D out of your budget, it's worth researching the issues with the 103 before making a decision. There's more different between the two models than just the Darbee processor.

Josh Z

post #7858 of 8191 Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For when I'm doing anything other than playing a DVD, I believe the receiver would use the audio from whichever HDMI source I have selected, then output the video to the oppo, which then processes it and outputs it to the TV. When I'm playing a DVD from the Oppo, it would output video via HDMI 1 out and audio (to my receiver) via HDMI 2 out (this setup is outlined in the manual)

OK, I think I get what you're trying to do. This might work after all, so long as you switch inputs on the receiver depending on whether you're watching a DVD/Blu-ray versus some other video source.

Josh Z

post #7859 of 8191 Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:

OK, I think I get what you're trying to do. This might work after all, so long as you switch inputs on the receiver depending on whether you're watching a DVD/Blu-ray versus some other video source.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Using that method, the Oppo would do the video processing for all of my sources. My only non 1080p source is my Directv receiver which outputs 1080i. I would imagine that the Oppo would do a better job at deinterlacing than my receiver (which has a video processor that can be enabled) or TV?
I asked the question in the 103D thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492940/official-oppo-bdp-103d-darbee-edition-owners-thread/3630#post_24612926
post #7860 of 8191 Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's been a while since I've followed the OPPO 103 threads, and I don't remember the specifics, unfortunately. If looking to buy an OPPO Blu-ray player now, and the extra $100 pushes the 103D out of your budget, it's worth researching the issues with the 103 before making a decision. There's more different between the two models than just the Darbee processor.

I don't know why you keep saying the same thing. Lets see some evidence.

"Since the BDP-103D uses a different processing chip than the BDP-103, I also ran the player through my standard assortment of processing/deinterlacing tests to make sure its performance still makes the grade ... and it does. It passed all of the 480i and 1080i tests on the HQV and Spears & Munsil test discs and cleanly rendered my favorite demo scenes from Gladiator and The Bourne Identity on DVD. Some quick A/B comparisons between the 103 and the 103D showed that the processing chips offered virtually identical performance. According to Oppo, the reason the processing performance is so similar, despite the use of different chips, is because Oppo has moved most of the "heavy-lifting video processing works" to the main dual-core decoder chip in both the BDP-103 and 103D, so there is not much left for the Marvell or SI chip to perform."

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-bdp-103d-darbee-edition-universal-disc-player-reviewed/?page=2

This from the Oppp 103/d FAQ on this forum:

How is the BDP-103D different from the BDP-103?

The BDP-103D subtracts:

the Marvell Qdeo video processor
...and adds:

the Darbee Visual Presence video processor
the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor
...and replaces:

the remote with a new version with a Darbee button
All other aspects and functions of the two models are identical.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page