37Likes

post #8161 of 8190 Old 10-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks to all....
Don't quite know what happened but I took the digital camera/remote suggestion and,for some strange reason,the remote kicked in.I am,however,planning on adding it to to my Harmony.I appreciate all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8162 of 8190 Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot20 View Post
My Darblet DVP-5000 was resetting itself until one day it just quit. The unit was out in the open with plenty of ventilation, so I don't think the problem was a heat issue. It will not display video. I contacted the company twice via their website and have received no response for over two weeks. How did you contact the company?

My Darblet was purchased December 2012. Maybe they only have a lifespan of 2 years or less.
Sorry for the late response - I actually just called their support number (+1.714.787.1006) initially, and worked with them on the original troubleshooting. From there, we communicated directly via email on the replacement.
post #8163 of 8190 Old 10-15-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drangel1 View Post
Sorry for the late response - I actually just called their support number (+1.714.787.1006) initially, and worked with them on the original troubleshooting. From there, we communicated directly via email on the replacement.
I had an issue arose after just over a year of ownership recently where it wasn't getting the signal, almost as if there was a handshake issue.

Called them up and they were very helpful, we narrowed it down to the power supply being an issue as while I was looking at things I saw the light going on and off on the power supply plug.

Darbee sent me a replacement power supply and now all works well....great customer service and VERY helpful....

Exitus acta probat...
post #8164 of 8190 Old 10-15-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just hooked up the darblet in my system. Haven't had a chance to watch a movie yet just direcTV. So far i can see the difference although not substantial i can see a difference. I keep turning it off and on to see what it is doing. After seeing what most peoples setting are i set mine on HD @ 81%. Plan on playing with it more when i have some time to sit with it.

Connected to monitor out of receiver to 65ZT60. DirecTV and OPPO going through receiver, TV calibrated with settings off internet all processing from OPPO, receiver and DTV turned off.

post #8165 of 8190 Old 10-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 113
^ Play with demo mode too, especially with content you are familiar with. Best with a Blu-Ray disc of course. Go to a scene with lots of detail on a visually high quality disc. Pause the disc and do the split screen demo. Then try the sweep demo. Then another scene or two the same way. Then put things in motion and take a look with both demo options.

When you do that with very familiar and visually detailed content, it really dials you into exactly what the Darbee is doing for you. ๐Ÿ‘ ๐ŸŽฅ ๐Ÿ‘

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #8166 of 8190 Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntculenuf View Post
TV calibrated with settings off internet all processing from OPPO, receiver and DTV turned off.
This is my biggest pet peeve. Unless your TV is calibrated for your particular unit and viewing condition, it is NOT calibrated. Especially when using numbers from the internet
Schwa, Josh Z, Keenan and 1 others like this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #8167 of 8190 Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi all,
My darbee has stopped responding to the remote, but works fine with the push buttons (on the unit).
The "button cell" CR2025 battery in the remote is down to about 2.6 volts. Could that be the problem?
I was going to buy a battery and try it, but I thought someone here might know...
Thanks
post #8168 of 8190 Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Hi all,
My darbee has stopped responding to the remote, but works fine with the push buttons (on the unit).
The "button cell" CR2025 battery in the remote is down to about 2.6 volts. Could that be the problem?
I was going to buy a battery and try it, but I thought someone here might know... Thanks
That's exatly where to start. Scroll down for more remote control posts over the last week or so.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #8169 of 8190 Old 10-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
This is my biggest pet peeve. Unless your TV is calibrated for your particular unit and viewing condition, it is NOT calibrated. Especially when using numbers from the internet
Amen to that David. That's the difference between "adjusted" versus calibrated.
David Susilo likes this.

post #8170 of 8190 Old 10-16-2014, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post
The Darbee has an input jack for an external IR receiver. I ordered a cheap one and hooked it up so I could mount the Darbee out of sight.

I have no issues operating it this way. I should also add that I operate it with a Harmony One remote, which probably has a more powerful IR emitter than the Darbee stock remote.
Where did you get the "external IR reciever"? Can you post a link?
Thanks
post #8171 of 8190 Old 10-16-2014, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Quote:
The Darbee has an input jack for an external IR receiver. I ordered a cheap one and hooked it up so I could mount the Darbee out of sight.

I have no issues operating it this way. I should also add that I operate it with a Harmony One remote, which probably has a more powerful IR emitter than the Darbee stock remote.
Thanks
I bought mine from Amazon.ca, which won't be any use to you, unless you're in Canada.

Monoprice has them.
post #8172 of 8190 Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

First of all, thanks for the help so far. I checked the remote with a digital camera and it's working fine.
This AM, I could get the Darbee to respond via the remote (sometimes). This evening, it's totally inert. The remote is transmitting, but the darbee box just sits there...Frustrating. It's like taking your car to the mechanic for a rattle, then having total silence while he's looking at it.
Any ideas on what to try next?
post #8173 of 8190 Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

First of all, thanks for the help so far. I checked the remote with a digital camera and it's working fine.
This AM, I could get the Darbee to respond via the remote (sometimes). This evening, it's totally inert. The remote is transmitting, but the darbee box just sits there...Frustrating. It's like taking your car to the mechanic for a rattle, then having total silence while he's looking at it.
Any ideas on what to try next?
post #8174 of 8190 Old 10-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Prod...1011009&cpnCd=

This is what I'm talking about.
post #8175 of 8190 Old 10-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. Got it.

BTW, Amazon has the too. Probably less when you factor shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-5-Fe...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

However, I don't think that's the problem. I have a clear line of site to the IR eye on the Darbee box. However, it will not respond to the signal. As far as I can tell, it's operating normally from the push buttons on the box. However, it's a real pain to get to it. Cathedral ceiling PJ mount...I am out of the warranty period. How is Darbee customer service? Will they exchange the unit?
post #8176 of 8190 Old 10-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Try mashing hard on the button(s) and hold for a bit.Strangely,this works for me now every time.
post #8177 of 8190 Old 10-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post
Try mashing hard on the button(s) and hold for a bit.Strangely,this works for me now every time.
Are you serious? If so, which button(s)? Can anyone else confirm this?
post #8178 of 8190 Old 10-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Works with all the buttons......hard press hold for 2-3 sec.
Get results every time....might work for you....hell,try it...got nothing to lose.....this problem plagued me for months...in a fit of anger I hard pressed and held....Voila!
Hope it works for you as well.
post #8179 of 8190 Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Works with all the buttons......hard press hold for 2-3 sec.
Get results every time....might work for you....hell,try it...got nothing to lose.....this problem plagued me for months...in a fit of anger I hard pressed and held....Voila!
Hope it works for you as well.
Well, you got that right "what have I got to lose"?
I'll get the ladder out today and give it a try. INMO, Darbee is missing something here. Do not misunderstand me, I think their product is great. However for $300, the box contains relatively few components. IR remote controls are a mature technology. I would expect it to be glitch free...
The HDMI issues are well documented, but the Darbee has a lot of company...They keep changing the protocols.
But IR remotes!!!
post #8180 of 8190 Old 10-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

You do realize I am referencing the remote and not the unit itself? The "break out the ladder " statement kinda threw me.
post #8181 of 8190 Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You do realize I am referencing the remote and not the unit itself? The "break out the ladder " statement kinda threw me.
You surmised correctly, I was planning on going up to the ceiling to press the Darbee case buttons.
I have already tried the "Press all the buttons on the remote out of frustration" gambit.
Any other suggestions?
post #8182 of 8190 Old 10-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately not.....
post #8183 of 8190 Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The Darbee remotes absolutely suck. I have two that don't work more than they do work. I've tried new batteries, switching the remotes between the two Darbees, holding the remotes from right on the Darbee to a few feet back. Mostly, the remotes DO NOT WORK.

So, it is a set it and forget device for me. I also have the occasional reset problem of the Darbee. Frustrating. Darbee said to send the unit back and they'll replace it. But honestly, with what? These things are not bug-free and at least I know what bugs mine have. I'm not gonna start paying shipping fees to discover another unit's issues.

The Darbee makes the picture nicer. For that, it is worth it. The remote is junk and the unit itself, while awesome "picture enhancing" software, is pretty chintzy. It is what it is. For $300-ish you are not buying solid performing hard and software. You are paying for the technology that sharpens your image without introducing unwanted distortion.

I'm not happy about the problems either, but I don't regret the 2 purchases. I am gonna try that "smashing down on the remote buttons for a few seconds" trick though. Thanks.

Lastly, and I don't recall if I mentioned this many posts back, but I recently discovered that I needed glasses for distance and night viewing. I got them and WOW my TVs are all popping crazy High Def once again. lol
Lesson is: Check ALL of your equipment including your eyes. Embarrassing, but funny too. Having glasses I've now discovered that I had my Darbees turned up way too high.
post #8184 of 8190 Old 10-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
The Darbee remotes absolutely suck. I have two that don't work more than they do work. I've tried new batteries, switching the remotes between the two Darbees, holding the remotes from right on the Darbee to a few feet back. Mostly, the remotes DO NOT WORK.

So, it is a set it and forget device for me. I also have the occasional reset problem of the Darbee. Frustrating. Darbee said to send the unit back and they'll replace it. But honestly, with what? These things are not bug-free and at least I know what bugs mine have. I'm not gonna start paying shipping fees to discover another unit's issues.

The Darbee makes the picture nicer. For that, it is worth it. The remote is junk and the unit itself, while awesome "picture enhancing" software, is pretty chintzy. It is what it is. For $300-ish you are not buying solid performing hard and software. You are paying for the technology that sharpens your image without introducing unwanted distortion.

I'm not happy about the problems either, but I don't regret the 2 purchases. I am gonna try that "smashing down on the remote buttons for a few seconds" trick though. Thanks.

Lastly, and I don't recall if I mentioned this many posts back, but I recently discovered that I needed glasses for distance and night viewing. I got them and WOW my TVs are all popping crazy High Def once again. lol
Lesson is: Check ALL of your equipment including your eyes. Embarrassing, but funny too. Having glasses I've now discovered that I had my Darbees turned up way too high.
I had the same problem. On my remote, removing the battery, I found a type of clear grease film where the battery makes contact on both the + and - sides. Cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip remedied the problem. Be sure the battery is up to snuf also. Failing that, you can use a universal remote to control the darbee, or if you have a Logitech, the codes are available on line.
post #8185 of 8190 Old 10-18-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I use my universal remote, so I don't have to deal with the Darbee remote. Problem solved. But it does look "chintzy".
post #8186 of 8190 Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I retired my Darbee for good...... well for now anyway. I have used it with 2 different PJs and 2 TVs. In the end the tiny bit of improvement is not worth the random issues I have had with it.Just my 2 cents.
seanbryan likes this.

James Reid:D
post #8187 of 8190 Old 10-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

The logitech / harmony solution works. Zero IR issues ever with our Darblet.

Another solution is the 103D. That Oppo remote is robust, zero IR issues there either.

We don't get a "slight improvement" in our room. It's a must have. Of course YMMV.

post #8188 of 8190 Old 10-18-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I use a Harmony 880 along with an IR repeater/extender setup and while it's a bit sluggish to inputs it always respond to those inputs.
post #8189 of 8190 Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Hi All,
The remote is positively emitting IR (can see it through the digital camera).
I have already tried copying the IR codes to my Sony universal remote, but still no luck...

So, I emailed Darbee customer service about the remote issue.
Tom Faust responded.
He thinks it is the remote control itself. They wanted to see it and check it out. So, I put it in an envelope and sent it off.

They immediately sent me out a new remote. I hope that fixes it. I'll post back when I get it.

I get it that the device is not quite "ready for prime time", but with great CS, I'll put up with it. Plus it makes the picture "pop"

Great customer support from DarbeeVision!
They do try and help.
post #8190 of 8190 Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Hi All,
The remote is positively emitting IR (can see it through the digital camera).
I have already tried copying the IR codes to my Sony universal remote, but still no luck...

So, I emailed Darbee customer service about the remote issue.
Tom Faust responded.
He thinks it is the remote control itself. They wanted to see it and check it out. So, I put it in an envelope and sent it off.

They immediately sent me out a new remote. I hope that fixes it. I'll post back when I get it.

I get it that the device is not quite "ready for prime time", but with great CS, I'll put up with it. Plus it makes the picture "pop"

Great customer support from DarbeeVision!
They do try and help.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page