post #8191 of 8404 Old 10-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntculenuf View Post
OK I will except the adjusted aspect of getting it calibrated over using the settings for the TV model off the net of someone else's calibration. The picture looks great and a whole lot better than factory settings. Just haven't really looked for or heard of a good calibrator here in town.
Doing what you've already done is a good idea, and I'm psyched you see and appreciate the difference it made. Nice work.

I think the point David and I were making is if your display is calibrated by someone with great gear, and skilled enough to bring out the best in your equipment, in your unique viewing environment, the PQ enhancement you'll see then can vastly exceed the improvement you already see and appreciate.

If you decide to take a swing at that, there are threads on the forum to help you find someone really good at imaging science in your area.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 8404 Old 10-26-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The past 2 mornings I have had to unplug and plug my Darbee back in after the system ahs been on for 15 minutes approximately. The video will go completely blank. I have a 3' HDMI cable hooked up to the Darbee from the AVR and a 15' cable from the Darbee to TV. Is there a chance the 15' cable is to long of a run? Thanks in advance.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #8193 of 8404 Old 10-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a 35' run going from my Darbee to the projector across the room with no problemo. It may be your cable itself or the hdmi connection rather than the length so try different ones. However, since this problem has shown up just over the past two days it could be the Darbee itself. Although the Darbee is good technology it has not been fool proof - there is a long history of problems with this thing.

shortspark
post #8194 of 8404 Old 10-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
The past 2 mornings I have had to unplug and plug my Darbee back in after the system ahs been on for 15 minutes approximately. The video will go completely blank. I have a 3' HDMI cable hooked up to the Darbee from the AVR and a 15' cable from the Darbee to TV. Is there a chance the 15' cable is to long of a run? Thanks in advance.
There is a chance the 3' cable is too short. Darbeevision recommends 6' cables.
mrfattbill and mp06011999 like this.
post #8195 of 8404 Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM

I've swapped the 3' cable for a 6' and so far no issue. If it doesn't hiccup within the next 5 minutes I'm hopeful.

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #8196 of 8404 Old 10-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So any hiccups?
post #8197 of 8404 Old 10-27-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Young View Post
So any hiccups?

As of right now...no.
mattg3 likes this.

post #8198 of 8404 Old 10-27-2014, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Bweissman nailed it. Darbee's FAQ section goes into that about short cables causing issues. They also go into the random reset issue. No fix listed for that, btw.
Hubertoliver likes this.
post #8199 of 8404 Old 10-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Hi All,
The remote is positively emitting IR (can see it through the digital camera).
I have already tried copying the IR codes to my Sony universal remote, but still no luck...

So, I emailed Darbee customer service about the remote issue.
Tom Faust responded.
He thinks it is the remote control itself. They wanted to see it and check it out. So, I put it in an envelope and sent it off.

They immediately sent me out a new remote. I hope that fixes it. I'll post back when I get it.

I get it that the device is not quite "ready for prime time", but with great CS, I'll put up with it. Plus it makes the picture "pop"

Great customer support from DarbeeVision!
They do try and help.
I thought I should follow up. New remote from Tom Faust arrived. Works like a charm.
In fact it works way better than the old one (which would not be hard). The signal bounces off of the projector screen from the seating position.
I've never heard of a remote going bad before, but Tom called it.
Thanks again to DarbeeVision for great customer support.
post #8200 of 8404 Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Tom Faust and the guys at Darbeevision are a great bunch. Thanks for the update and glad your new remote rocks.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #8201 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Help please.
Thinking of buying darbee 5000,connecting it from oppo103 to Samsung F8500,will I notice an enhancement in picture quality or not?
post #8202 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post
Help please. Thinking of buying darbee 5000,connecting it from oppo103 to Samsung F8500, will I notice an enhancement in picture quality or not?
Oddmania, probably the best anyone can tell you is that you will *probably* see and appreciate a difference. There are multiple reports on this thread of owners with the same or similar display giving the Darbee enthusiastic thumbs up. But there are also minority reports of owners who kind of shrug their shoulders, and either don't see or don't care about the Darbee effect.

If you are the kind of guy that tweaks his system to achieve the best possible display image, you are likely to appreciate what the Darbee does for your F8500.

Your other option would be to sell your 103 and buy the 103D. Oppos retain a lot of value on resale, and depending on what you could get for it, the 103D option could be even less expensive for you than buying the Darblet. The Darbee effect is exactly the same with both devices.
oddmania likes this.

Last edited by mogrub; 10-30-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo
post #8203 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Oddmania, probably the best anyone can tell you is that you will *probably* see and appreciate a difference. There are multiple reports on this thread of owners with the same or similar display giving the Darbee enthusiastic thumbs up. But there are also minority reports of owners who kind of shrug their shoulders, and either don't see or don't care about the Darbee effect.

If you are the kind of guy that tweaks his system to achieve the best possible display image, you are likely to appreciate what the Darbee does for your F8500.

Your other option would be to sell your 103 and buy the 103D. Oppos retain a lot of value on resale, and depending on what you could get for it, the 103D option could be even less expensive for you than buying the Darblet. The Darbee effect is exactly the same with both devices.
Thanks for the info,probably will go for it and if I didn't notice any difference I can still use it on my DVD player.
post #8204 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post
Thanks for the info,probably will go for it and if I didn't notice any difference I can still use it on my DVD player.
Some guys hook it up, play with it, figure it doesn't do enough and take it out only to see that a nice sharpness is gone. They put it right back in. So you may not be impressed with it until you take it out.
post #8205 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

^ Good call. Once you get it Oddmania, use the demo mode with a good blu ray movie you know really well. It will help you see more quickly what the Darbee is doing.

I can remember thinking at first that I wasn't terribly impressed, wasn't even sure I could see anything. Then within a few days, it was Oh Wow. I'm in full blown addiction now.

post #8206 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
^ Good call. Once you get it Oddmania, use the demo mode with a good blu ray movie you know really well. It will help you see more quickly what the Darbee is doing.

I can remember thinking at first that I wasn't terribly impressed, wasn't even sure I could see anything. Then within a few days, it was Oh Wow. I'm in full blown addiction now.
EXACT same thing happened to me.

There are never failures, only challenges.
post #8207 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman9270 View Post
EXACT same thing happened to me.
Nice, glad we hung in there. It's a difference maker.

I think my Oh Wow happened when I used demo mode with the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. I'd seen it a few times pre-Darbee and thought it looked great.

A few days after getting the Darblet in place, I popped in that blu ray and played several different scenes using demo mode. I started being able to see the before and after differences more clearly. Then I came to a close-up of the Enterprise, where the entire screen filled with detailed CGI. Got it paused at a good spot, and started doing the sweep. Then used the split screen mode, while toggling the image back and forth in slow motion.

I think that's when I fully appreciated what the little box could do. The added clarity and depth with the Darbee was just ridiculous.

The Darbee effect is often described as subtle, and I think that's a good word for it. But when you do that kind of before and after study with the demo mode, with high quality source material, it's more astonishing than subtle.
barrelbelly and pacman9270 like this.

Last edited by mogrub; 10-30-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
post #8208 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
The Darbee effect is often described as subtle, and I think that's a good word for it. But when you do that kind of before and after study with the demo mode, with high quality source material, it's more astonishing than subtle.
If the Darbee effect isn't subtle, you've turned it up too high.

I did find a display the Darbee didn't help. The picture on my Sony VPL-VW600ES 2160p projector (MSRP $14,000) was not helped by the ($300) Darblet. There was a difference, but not an improvement. So I moved the Darblet to the Sharp LCD TV in the family room, where it makes a definite improvement.
post #8209 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

^ Nope. We're at HD 40%, ideal for our room and 110" screen. You miss the point. I'm astonished notwithstanding its subtlety. ✌️

post #8210 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Does the Darblet offer any scaling ? Even the very basic vertical 33% stretch needed for anamorphic lens use ?

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #8211 of 8404 Old 10-30-2014, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
No

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #8212 of 8404 Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
^ Nope. We're at HD 40%, ideal for our room and 110" screen. You miss the point. I'm astonished notwithstanding its subtlety. ✌️
We have a 110" HP screen. We started at 40% in HD. After getting used to the "look", we have slowly increased it. We are now at 55% on our DLP. Picture looks sharp and clear.
BTW, I concur that once you adjust to the Darbee "look", then if you remove it the picture looks "soft".
We are converted. We have been Darbeeized...
pacman9270 likes this.
post #8213 of 8404 Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
We have a 110" HP screen. We started at 40% in HD. After getting used to the "look", we have slowly increased it. We are now at 55% on our DLP. Picture looks sharp and clear.
BTW, I concur that once you adjust to the Darbee "look", then if you remove it the picture looks "soft".
We are converted. We have been Darbeeized...
Our set and forget is 40% Humbland but I agree many displays can take more. Depending on content and viewer requests, we bounce around from 40 to 55%. It's interesting we both max at the same level. Above that, at our house, more starts to become less.

post #8214 of 8404 Old 10-31-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Nice, glad we hung in there. It's a difference maker.

I think my Oh Wow happened when I used demo mode with the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. I'd seen it a few times pre-Darbee and thought it looked great.

A few days after getting the Darblet in place, I popped in that blu ray and played several different scenes using demo mode. I started being able to see the before and after differences more clearly. Then I came to a close-up of the Enterprise, where the entire screen filled with detailed CGI. Got it paused at a good spot, and started doing the sweep. Then used the split screen mode, while toggling the image back and forth in slow motion.

I think that's when I fully appreciated what the little box could do. The added clarity and depth with the Darbee was just ridiculous.

LOL! I know exactly what you mean. My moment was with Oblivion. OK movie, phenomenal PQ. I would go to the scene where his wife's pod falls to earth and he gets out of his ship, scouting the wreckage with his rifle. I agree with you on the "subtle" description. It's funny that it's subtle, however, adds significantly to the picture. I think I paid too much for it though. Should have been no more than $199 new. I think THAT is a fair price, but I'm not regretting my purchase.

Projector: Sony VPL-HW30ES, 12.5' throw distance, seating 11.5' from screen, using Screen Innovations Performance Series 100" fixed frame screen. Darbee is set at HD 51% for everything.

There are never failures, only challenges.

Last edited by pacman9270; 10-31-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Needed to put specs for better evaluation for others who are still deciding/evaluating.
post #8215 of 8404 Old 11-05-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 554
New Darbee owner here, just installed it last night. Initial impressions are postive I wouldn't call the difference dramatic but it is a pleasant enhancement. I am at HD 51% right now and have just viewed some programming on my Dish Hopper so far.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #8216 of 8404 Old 11-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
New Darbee owner here, just installed it last night. Initial impressions are postive I wouldn't call the difference dramatic but it is a pleasant enhancement. I am at HD 51% right now and have just viewed some programming on my Dish Hopper so far.
I say, the bigger the screen, the greater impact the Darbee has. Enjoy.
post #8217 of 8404 Old 11-05-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I say, the bigger the screen, the greater impact the Darbee has. Enjoy.
Thanks will have some more viewing under my belt after the weekend. I can definitely see a differance from my viewing position

Darbee DVP5000
post #8218 of 8404 Old 11-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Thanks will have some more viewing under my belt after the weekend. I can definitely see a differance from my viewing position
Another maxim on these pages is the higher quality the source, the greater the impact. So you've seen the Hopper so far. Roll a few Blu-Rays into the mix, especially titles you've seen a few times before, and check out the before and after on those. Don't forget to try your Demo Mode.

post #8219 of 8404 Old 11-05-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Another maxim on these pages is the higher quality the source, the greater the impact. So you've seen the Hopper so far. Roll a few Blu-Rays into the mix, especially titles you've seen a few times before, and check out the before and after on those. Don't forget to try your Demo Mode.
Yep plan on doing that soon, I will have to switch out the hdmi input/output tho, I don't have a receiver or hdmi swtich in my setup.

Darbee DVP5000
post #8220 of 8404 Old 11-06-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
finally had a chance to watch a few movies this last week with the darbee, WOW