Advertisement

post #8312 of 8336 Old 11-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for a Projector

Hi ellisr63,

I'm considering my first home theater projector purchase. Shortlisted two projectors - Panasonic PT-AE8000U and Sony VPL-HW40ES. While comparing the two, I find the picture sharpness + colors to be better on Sony HW40ES but the motion is better on the Panny AE8000U. But I really like the feature set on Panasonic.

My question is - can I add a DARBEE video processor to the Panny AE8000U and match the sharpness + color performance of the Sony HW40ES?

There is a link on youtube with a shootout between the two projectors.

Since you have the same combination that I've been thinking of (PT-AE8000U + Darbee), your insights will sure help me with my decision.

Thanks.
post #8313 of 8336 Old 11-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Could those of you who have and enjoy watching 3d content comment on how the Darby performs in 3d? Thanks

K ........H
..L.... C..
...I...S....
.... P......
post #8314 of 8336 Old 11-23-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushisrighton View Post
Could those of you who have and enjoy watching 3d content comment on how the Darby performs in 3d? Thanks

It performs as perfectly well in 3D as it does in 2D. In fact, I find that the Darbee's "sharpening" effect helps give 3D more definition.
post #8315 of 8336 Old 11-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
It performs as perfectly well in 3D as it does in 2D. In fact, I find that the Darbee's "sharpening" effect helps give 3D more definition.
Good to know, I'm not a videophile snob but would like to get the best picture I can with the least amount of effort, it sounds to me like the darbe is offering that.

K ........H
..L.... C..
...I...S....
.... P......
post #8316 of 8336 Old 11-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
^ Ditto Kilgore. The Darbee does its thing in both 2D and 3D. Hard to say one is better than the other. Don't run our system without a Darbee working regardless of source or 2D / 3D content.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #8317 of 8336 Old 11-24-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Currently having a problem with the Darbee passing signal from cablebox to TV. My current setup is Comcast Cablebox > Marantz receiver > Darbee > Panasonic VT60. When I turn on only the TV and cablebox without using the receiver, the TV will display a "No Input Signal" on a blank screen but if I then turn the receiver on, the Tv displays what's on the cablebox. I then have to turn off the receiver off and its works perfectly without the receiver...suggestions?
post #8318 of 8336 Old 11-24-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Currently having a problem with the Darbee passing signal from cablebox to TV. My current setup is Comcast Cablebox > Marantz receiver > Darbee > Panasonic VT60. When I turn on only the TV and cablebox without using the receiver, the TV will display a "No Input Signal" on a blank screen but if I then turn the receiver on, the Tv displays what's on the cablebox. I then have to turn off the receiver off and its works perfectly without the receiver...suggestions?
Do you have the Marantz setup to do pass-through while in standby mode?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #8319 of 8336 Old 11-24-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
Do you have the Marantz setup to do pass-through while in standby mode?
Yes, I would normally use the TV speakers when watching news or general TV viewing and everything was fine until I added the Darbee.
post #8320 of 8336 Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I would normally use the TV speakers when watching news or general TV viewing and everything was fine until I added the Darbee.
You might want to double check you settings. I have my cable box into my Denon 4311ci, with pass through turn on, with last input set for the cable box, and I have no problem with the Darbee between the Denon and the Sharp 70" display when the Denon is on standby. My wife also likes to use the TV speakers when she is watching cable shows.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #8321 of 8336 Old 11-24-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You might want to double check you settings. I have my cable box into my Denon 4311ci, with pass through turn on, with last input set for the cable box, and I have no problem with the Darbee between the Denon and the Sharp 70" display when the Denon is on standby. My wife also likes to use the TV speakers when she is watching cable shows.
Will do, thanks!
post #8322 of 8336 Old 11-24-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Darbee vision darblet

Quote:

I have the HDMI pass through "on" and when I turn the TV on, the pass through is defaulting to TV Audio instead of cable/sat for some reason.

Of course, now my Viera Link doesn't work anymore.

Last edited by mbroadus; 11-24-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #8323 of 8336 Old 11-24-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have the HDMI pass through "on" and when I turn the TV on, the pass through is defaulting to TV Audio instead of cable/sat for some reason.

Of course, now my Viera Link doesn't work anymore.

After trial and error I believe I'm experiencing the fact that the Darbee does not support ARC.
post #8324 of 8336 Old 11-24-2014, 10:24 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
After trial and error I believe I'm experiencing the fact that the Darbee does not support ARC.

What you're describing is part of HDMI CEC, though, not HDMI ARC. The Darblet does support CEC just fine. Since you say your VIERA Link is not working anymore, make sure it's fully enabled in both TV and receiver, and perhaps your cable box as well (not sure if cable boxes have a way to turn CEC on/off).

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #8325 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Darbee vision darblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
What you're describing is part of HDMI CEC, though, not HDMI ARC. The Darblet does support CEC just fine. Since you say your VIERA Link is not working anymore, make sure it's fully enabled in both TV and receiver, and perhaps your cable box as well (not sure if cable boxes have a way to turn CEC on/off).

I thought the same since we had this discussion previously. I removed the Darbee and connected it between the cablebox and receiver and everything is working as it should.
post #8326 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is correct. I do not use ARC on my setup. If you have an optical out on the TV you could use that as a workaround.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #8327 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know, very frustrated because everything worked fine until I added the Darbee and even then, not really seeing much of a difference in picture quality. Even with the Darbee on 75%, there is minimal difference in depth, sharpness and color. Chad B did a hell of job calibrating my VT60.
post #8328 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know, very frustrated because everything worked fine until I added the Darbee and even then, not really seeing much of a difference in picture quality. Even with the Darbee on 75%, there is minimal difference in depth, sharpness and color. Chad B did a hell of job calibrating my VT60.
1) Why would it be frustrating, you have to always take certain steps to make electronic equipment to work right. Nothing is ever plug and play. 2) the darbee does the best job on really good sources not on a highly compressed feed from a cable box. Have you watch a Blu-ray with the darbee? 3) The darbee does nothing for the color.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #8329 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
1) Why would it be frustrating, you have to always take certain steps to make electronic equipment to work right. Nothing is ever plug and play. 2) the darbee does the best job on really good sources not on a highly compressed feed from a cable box. Have you watch a Blu-ray with the darbee? 3) The darbee does nothing for the color.
That's right. The Darbee is an enhancer. It enhances the contrast in the image; nothing more, nothing less. You can have a perceived sense of improved sharpness/depth but it's all about the contrast.
mbroadus likes this.

There are never failures, only challenges.
post #8330 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're correct...it's frustrating because I have everything working perfectly between my receiver and display. I wanted to be able to use the Darbee with all sources and was thinking, incorrectly I assume, that the Darbee worked best on average sources like the cable box. I have not used it with my blu-ray PS3 player, will have to give it a go tonight. Although, I don't use my blu-ray player that much, I mostly stream movies from my Apple TV via Netflix.

Has anyone used an HDMI 2X1 switcher with a Darbee? I could have the PS3 blu-ray and Apple TV connect to the HDMI switcher and then have the 1 HDMI output to the Darbee, to the receiver, then to the display?

The color on my 60VT60 seems brighter and more colorful in the last week for some reason.
post #8331 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're correct...it's frustrating because I have everything working perfectly between my receiver and display. I wanted to be able to use the Darbee with all sources and was thinking, incorrectly I assume, that the Darbee worked best on average sources like the cable box. I have not used it with my blu-ray PS3 player, will have to give it a go tonight. Although, I don't use my blu-ray player that much, I mostly stream movies from my Apple TV via Netflix.

Has anyone used an HDMI 2X1 switcher with a Darbee? I could have the PS3 blu-ray and Apple TV connect to the HDMI switcher and then have the 1 HDMI output to the Darbee, to the receiver, then to the display?

The color on my 60VT60 seems brighter and more colorful in the last week for some reason.
Why don't you simply turn off the ARC setting in the TV. Or for that matter use a different HDMI input? Do you use the apps in the TV? If not since you have the PS3 and the Apple TV there is no need for the Audio Return Channel to be on. Then you can place the Darbee back between the AVR and the Panny with all sources being able to take advantage of the Darbee.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #8332 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why don't you simply turn off the ARC setting in the TV. Or for that matter use a different HDMI input? Do you use the apps in the TV? If not since you have the PS3 and the Apple TV there is no need for the Audio Return Channel to be on. Then you can place the Darbee back between the AVR and the Panny with all sources being able to take advantage of the Darbee.
Many thanks...so if I move the HDMI input from HDMI 2 (ARC) to HDMI 1 or turn ARC off, the HDMI CEC Viera Link will still work since it does not use ARC? ARC is for the sole purpose of Apps being able to pass sound back through a receiver?

My wife uses the Netflix app so that she doesn't have to mess with the receiver and Apple TV. Although, I bought her a TV for the bedroom that has Netflix.

For some reason, I'm making this more difficult than it should be!! There has to be something that is not working with the receiver because all I want to do is be able to watch TV without having to turn the receiver on and when I do that, the pass through switches from cable/sat to Tv audio on and does not pass the signal through to the display and it only does this when the Darbee is connected. I then have to get the receiver remote and change the input to cable/sat which turns the receiver on, but then it works when I turn the receiver off. I can not figure it out!!!

Last edited by mbroadus; Yesterday at 11:03 AM.
post #8333 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman9270 View Post
It enhances the contrast in the image; nothing more, nothing less.
The "nothing more , nothing less" part halts the significant process. Contrast manipulation is enhanced, but so are other key areas where depth information is missing. And it is also processed in real-time from the contrast, brightness and sharpness information through the addional extracts of real-world fundamental principle neuro algorithms at the pixel level = (via luminous modulation). i.e. This restores dimensional volume information lost from captured 2D image processing.
post #8334 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
The "nothing more , nothing less" part halts the significant process. Contrast manipulation is enhanced, but so are other key areas where depth information is missing. And it is also processed in real-time from the contrast, brightness and sharpness information through the addional extracts of real-world fundamental principle neuro algorithms at the pixel level = (via luminous modulation). i.e. This restores dimensional volume information lost from captured 2D image processing.
I see what you're saying. Are you playing Bluray content? The device is only going to enhance what you have. It's not adding to it.

post #8335 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman9270 View Post
I see what you're saying. Are you playing Bluray content? The device is only going to enhance what you have. It's not adding to it.
Agree.

Most of my visual media is high definition content on Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3Ds.
post #8336 of 8336 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Agree.

Most of my visual media is high definition content on Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3Ds.
I do understand your frustration. I hope you got a good deal on the device. I paid full price. Don't get me wrong, I really like what it does, but it took me a while to appreciate it. Not worth the full price but $200 should be fair for what it does. I have my settings on HD @ 51%, regardless of content. Give it a week of viewing and then take it off and see if you notice a difference in the picture. It took me a few weeks to find my reference setting.

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page