post #8341 of 8359 Old 11-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
After watching the Darbee with many different sources, blu-ray, Apple TV, PS3, PS4 and Comcast, I cannot see a difference from the original source material. Absolutely no difference and very disspointed. Watched all sources in demo mode and paused at certain points to compare.
Sorry mbroadus, it may have been mentioned, but what are you playing it to? i.e.: tv size, pj, screen size...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Sorry mbroadus, it may have been mentioned, but what are you playing it to? i.e.: tv size, pj, screen size...

Panasonic 60VT60 Plasma.
post #8343 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Panasonic 60VT60 Plasma.
I use it on my pj with 120" screen, and clearly see a difference, plus, I've tested it on my 58" plasma, and notice the subtle difference. If you freeze the picture, and turn the Darbee of and on you should see a difference in the picture.
post #8344 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use it on my pj with 120" screen, and clearly see a difference, plus, I've tested it on my 58" plasma, and notice the subtle difference. If you freeze the picture, and turn the Darbee of and on you should see a difference in the picture.

I see a tiny bit more detail but definitely not enough to justify the cost. I was thinking that it would make the most difference on larger displays, especially projectors.
post #8345 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I see a tiny bit more detail but definitely not enough to justify the cost. I was thinking that it would make the most difference on larger displays, especially projectors.
You are correct, the larger the picture, the greater the impact. Time to get a pj
post #8346 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are correct, the larger the picture, the greater the impact. Time to get a pj

Would love to if I had a dedicated room.
post #8347 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg1 View Post
Does anyone on the forum have one of these yet and if so, any impressions?
I like what it does to my vt60. I keep it on 30, and I prefer to have to on rather than not. You quickly become accustomed to it, and quickly forget it's there. It is soon going to be obsolete as it will not work with 4k tv's. Gotta love Planned obsolescence, although when it first came out 4k probably wasn't much on their radar.
post #8348 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You must do what you need to to get a projector, dedicated room or not. That is the only way to really experience home theater. I have a living/den with a cathedral ceiling, a series of windows facing due east right behind the sitting area and ambient light from the kitchen and dining room which are part of the "great room" design of the house. But I do have a large wall and that is all I need. I spent a good amount of money having insulated drapes and shades installed throughout so that I can watch the projector even in the middle of the day. Small satellite speakers do not take much room and can fit anywhere. Even subs come in compact sizes these days and if worse comes to worse, use a quality soundbar. Automatic screens can come down when needed and retracted when you want to use your space only as a living area. No one "needs" a dedicated room for home theater, although of course that is the ultimate solution.

shortspark
post #8349 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Darbee vision darblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
You must do what you need to to get a projector, dedicated room or not. That is the only way to really experience home theater. I have a living/den with a cathedral ceiling, a series of windows facing due east right behind the sitting area and ambient light from the kitchen and dining room which are part of the "great room" design of the house. But I do have a large wall and that is all I need. I spent a good amount of money having insulated drapes and shades installed throughout so that I can watch the projector even in the middle of the day. Small satellite speakers do not take much room and can fit anywhere. Even subs come in compact sizes these days and if worse comes to worse, use a quality soundbar. Automatic screens can come down when needed and retracted when you want to use your space only as a living area. No one "needs" a dedicated room for home theater, although of course that is the ultimate solution.

Here's a pic of my current viewing area. I live in a 4 story townhouse so there's not much room but it has been something I'm thinking about since we moved in last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417108002.335596.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	388617

Last edited by mbroadus; 11-27-2014 at 10:07 AM.
post #8350 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Here's a pic of my current viewing area. I live in a 4 story townhouse so there's not much room but it has been something I'm thinking about since we moved in last year.

Attachment 388617
Oh my! That is perfecto. Look at that wall!! What I could do with that even if I know nothing about the rest of your townhouse! You could put a screen well over 100" on that wall. Or better yet, keep your tv right where it is and get a retractable screen that would come down and cover the tv when you wanted to watch the projector. Bring the screen back up when all you want to do is watch the news or weather on tv. You can have the best of all worlds if you plan it right. Good luck!!

shortspark
post #8351 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
Oh my! That is perfecto. Look at that wall!! What I could do with that even if I know nothing about the rest of your townhouse! You could put a screen well over 100" on that wall. Or better yet, keep your tv right where it is and get a retractable screen that would come down and cover the tv when you wanted to watch the projector. Bring the screen back up when all you want to do is watch the news or weather on tv. You can have the best of all worlds if you plan it right. Good luck!!

Thanks...I've thought about and mentioned to my wife that I wanted a retractable projector screen to come down over the TV but having a difficult time deciding where to put the projector. I heard they need to be in front or behind the seating position because of the noise.
post #8352 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Thanks...I've thought about and mentioned to my wife that I wanted a retractable projector screen to come down over the TV but having a difficult time deciding where to put the projector. I heard they need to be in front or behind the seating position because of the noise.
I have a 106" retractable screen above my 60" Panasonic plasma in my living room. My Sony VPL-HW40ES is sitting on a rolling stand that I built out of oak. This satisfies the wife since the projector can be rolled into another room and of course the screen disappears. We use the plasma during the day and the projector for night TV/movie watching. I would like a dedicated room too, but in reality, this is a great set up. We can have a fire going if we want(yes, it doesn't help the picture but for football, who cares?), it is close to the kitchen, etc. the thing is, this set up won't cost you that much more. Perfect IMO.
post #8353 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post
I have a 106" retractable screen above my 60" Panasonic plasma in my living room. My Sony VPL-HW40ES is sitting on a rolling stand that I built out of oak. This satisfies the wife since the projector can be rolled into another room and of course the screen disappears. We use the plasma during the day and the projector for night TV/movie watching. I would like a dedicated room too, but in reality, this is a great set up. We can have a fire going if we want(yes, it doesn't help the picture but for football, who cares?), it is close to the kitchen, etc. the thing is, this set up won't cost you that much more. Perfect IMO.

Sounds perfect...would love to see pics. How is the screen hidden?
post #8354 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds perfect...would love to see pics. How is the screen hidden?
I still have to build a piece that matches the entertainment center, I have the wood, I just have to get around to doing it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1937.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	389001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1939.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	389009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1940.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	389017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1938.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	389025  
post #8355 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
I still have to build a piece that matches the entertainment center, I have the wood, I just have to get around to doing it
Before I had a dedicated room, I had a setup very, very similar to this. It worked very well.
post #8356 of 8359 Old 11-27-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Before I had a dedicated room, I had a setup very, very similar to this. It worked very well.
Yep, it works well enough. You have to work with what you have available.
post #8357 of 8359 Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep, it works well enough. You have to work with what you have available.

Thanks Badgerpilot, looks great. Gives me some ideas. My room is considerable small with the couch against the back back wall. I would have to put a projector on the coffee table which means a 10ft throw distance.
post #8358 of 8359 Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranster View Post
It is soon going to be obsolete as it will not work with 4k tv's. Gotta love Planned obsolescence, although when it first came out 4k probably wasn't much on their radar.
The Darblet will still work with 4k TVs when you feed it any input signal up to 1080p, the same as it works now. The TV will upconvert the Darbee-ized picture to 4k.

What it won't work with is native 4k video content, which is going to be extremely rare for a very long time.
Paul H likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8359 of 8359 Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Badgerpilot, looks great. Gives me some ideas. My room is considerable small with the couch against the back back wall. I would have to put a projector on the coffee table which means a 10ft throw distance.
You can also put it on a shelf. I have seen several people on here mention using this shelf:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10652352?w...985872&veh=sem
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page