post #811 of 8107 Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny2428 View Post

Still waiting on mine from Smart Home, every day the in stock date keeps getting pushed back 2 days. Ordered it last week on the 21. I was going to get it from AVS but I didn't want to give my card number over the phone.

Kenny, no offense but you are safer giving the card number to AVS over the phone than giving it via an on-line store. I've ordered a LOT of gear through AVS, some for large amounts, have always given my number on the phone, and never had a problem.

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8107 Old 06-27-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Good to see there may be light at the end of the tunnel.
Once there is a fix I will ship my Darblet where it needs to go for the update. I like it quite a bit, but...anything to stop experiencing these HDMI issues....

Someone recently told me "That the problem with seeing light at the end of the tunnel is: You are still in the f______ ing tunnel"biggrin.gif
post #813 of 8107 Old 06-28-2012, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

Have you given any further thoughts to an internet connection for updates? I would prefer a LAN connection but a USB stick would also work. In my opinion it is a serious omission not have an internet connection for the Darblet. You will undoubtedly think of further improvements down the road.

Returning the unit to you for updating with its attendant down time for the owner is not really a practical solution, especially as you sell more units, which I am certain you will do as word gets out. If you add an internet connection you could perhaps charge an upgrade fee for original buyers to exchange their units.

The Lumagen video processors, admittedly a much more complex units, have had well over a hundred updates. I think this is just the nature of HDMI and video processors.

Don't get me wrong, I do love my Darblet.

From my understanding coming from people way smarter than me..
It would take A whole new redesign to allow for end-users to update the Darblet themselves, so simpily not possible/practical with the current Darblet V.1 due to the complexities in updating it, unfortunate but it is what it is ...Im sure DarbeeVision will make the inhouse update process as painless as possible for the End User .....

Cheers...
post #814 of 8107 Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
It does seem short-sighted that the device is not user upgradable. HDMI is such a minefield that it was very unlikely they, or indeed anybody, would get it right first time... or indeed the second time...

Now we have the hassle of shipping boxes back, which for some of us means international shipping, with potential customs issues to deal with.

Life on the bleeding edge rolleyes.gif

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #815 of 8107 Old 06-28-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I dont think DarbeeVision ever envisioned that the Darblet would ever require updates thus why it wasn't considered in its design,
But As we all know HDMI can be A real nightmare...

Cheers..
post #816 of 8107 Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 AM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I agree with Mark and Cinema Mad.

The problem is that the more units they sell the deeper the hole they create.

Overseas customs could easily delay a unit 2 weeks or more. Maybe an exchange program could be implemented where they send you an updated unit first and then you return your unit.

I think it is inevitable there will more updates down the road.
post #817 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 AM

Liked: 20
The latest information we have is about 2 more weeks until Darbee has more Darblets to ship to their dealers. Everytime I get one it ends up going to someone else. I brought ny first down to Alan Googer when I visisted him and he kept that. I got another one and lent it to one of my sales staff to try. he kept it. I got another one and Tom Hoffman of Chromapure saw it in action at my place and took it to try. I just sold my Samsung SPA900B and have ordered a new Sony 1000ES so I really can't use it right now anyway.

I do get many calls about this product and I think a few words about what it does are in order for persons joining this thread late and considering the purchase of a Darblet.

Every dealer is presently out of stock and all dealers charge the same for it, $269 which usually includes free ground shipping to the 48 of our 50 states. Most dealers will ship oversees but will charge some additional shipping. The included power supplies works on oversees voltages but a plug adapter (to allow the unit to be physically plugged in would be required).

The unit processes the contrast content of your picture in a manner which appears to your eyes as greater image depth and a sharper picture. The unit does not cause ringing but may introduce some visable noise if turned up too high in intensity. The range of intensity is 0 to 120% and on high quality displays the right setting for noise free viewing will be around 50 to 70%. The are several modes and I am talking the high def mode here. The unit is simple to use plugging in most anywhere with an HDMI in and out and a wall ewart power supply. There is a remote and a/b modes are available for seeing the affect on your image of the Darblet and adjusting it for your best viewing.

I use a variety of test images including the pin stripes on Yankee baseball uniforms. Reflections on windows such as the taxi scene in the 5th element etc. The Darblet improves the image and makes it better giving the effect or more detail, sharper, greater depth. Its hard to take it out once you see what it does and there would appear to be no downside unless you turn it up too high. Some people are having HDMI issues but most people do not have such problems. Hope this helps.
post #818 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
AVS science guy,when my back heals & I can get my Darbee connected do you just connect it like the booklet says is there anything I need to do to my blu-ray player or pre-pro? thanks Ive been crying like a baby with my back(poor me) & got confused about how to set-up my player or pre-pro!
post #819 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM

I use a Lumagen VP in my system and I just plug the video out of it HDMI into the Darblet HDMI in and connect my long HDMI cable to the projector from the Darblet out. My lumagen outputs 1080p 24 and 60 depending on the input frame rate. Everything works fine. If you want to discuss the Darblet just give me a call. Hope you feel better.
post #820 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

I use a Lumagen VP in my system and I just plug the video out of it HDMI into the Darblet HDMI in and connect my long HDMI cable to the projector from the Darblet out. My lumagen outputs 1080p 24 and 60 depending on the input frame rate. Everything works fine. If you want to discuss the Darblet just give me a call. Hope you feel better.

Mark, do you get only RGB out of the Darblet? If you are getting 422 or 444, what display do you have?

Thanks,
Ron
post #821 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
MyDarblet only outputs RGB no matter what I try. I have tried using a HDMI Detective Plus, and have not been able to get anything except RGB from the Darblet. Somebody said the HDMI Detective Plus solves this issue, but it certainly doesn't for me. Of course, there's always the possibility that I'm not programming it correctly, but I've tried every way I can think of with the same results. Nothing but RGB out of the Darblet.
post #822 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I may have expressed some skepticism and mixed feelings at first, but after a couple weeks with it in my system, I am now fully on board with the Darblet. The High-Def mode at 45% seems to be a sweet spot that enhances the detail in the image without appearing "processed" or causing any artifacts that I can see.

This is a keeper.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #823 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I may have expressed some skepticism and mixed feelings at first, but after a couple weeks with it in my system, I am now fully on board with the Darblet. The High-Def mode at 45% seems to be a sweet spot that enhances the detail in the image without appearing "processed" or causing any artifacts that I can see.
This is a keeper.

While I play with the settings most every movie I watch I settle on 45% in my setup too!
post #824 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

OK everyone with a current JVC projector with e-shift that you are really liking the Darbee Vision processing with it

Ron, I had a chance to spend more time with the darby and the RS55. e-shift on/off, darby on/off, etc. If I was forced to pick between the 2, I'd likely choose the e-shift. Since I sit close to the 142" HP, the darby is never fooling my eyes/brain that i'm looking at a higher resolution image, but does increase the apparent sharpness and details in the face, etc.

The e-shift creates the perception of an increase in overall resolution and the sharpness it applies is natural. It's easy to get used to when it's turned on, whereas the darby took some time to grow on me. The Darby will not turn the RS40/45/50 into the RS55.

The good news is, the 2 different technologies look very good when combined.
post #825 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

This is a keeper.

I was kind of waiting to hear back from you Josh, knowing your admitted high level of skepticism with add on video devices and you having been there done that with the 3DBee. And the length of time from when you first put it in your system, I was thinking uh oh....here's one of the first people that must flat out not like it. But hearing "This is a keeper" from you is pretty high words of praise indeed. Good for Darbee folks to hear I'm sure.
post #826 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Ron, I had a chance to spend more time with the darby and the RS55. e-shift on/off, darby on/off, etc. If I was forced to pick between the 2, I'd likely choose the e-shift. Since I sit close to the 142" HP, the darby is never fooling my eyes/brain that i'm looking at a higher resolution image, but does increase the apparent sharpness and details in the face, etc.
The e-shift creates the perception of an increase in overall resolution and the sharpness it applies is natural. It's easy to get used to when it's turned on, whereas the darby took some time to grow on me. The Darby will not turn the RS40/45/50 into the RS55.
The good news is, the 2 different technologies look very good when combined.

Hi Jason. I think in my mind I'm resigned to upgrading again from the RS50 to either a good used RS55 or possibly its replacement depending on pre-buy price after CEDIA, if the next model is a clear step up in performance from those who see it and are familiar with the 55. I'm going to be making a another new custom seating module which will be the 4th level down just above the floor with the seating base around what you would get with beach chair height and it will be able to be slid on the carpet to whatever distance I want from the 8.5' wide 16x9 2.8 HP....from 1 width back to about 11' back right in front of the lower U shape arrangement where you sit about 14' back. Which is like your setup right inches below the projector, as well as being able to sit along side both right and left side of it, and also right above the projector line of sight, in the back 4th level 4 person wide custom bench. So yes if I have the capability to get that close, eShift really has a great deal of attraction for me based on everyone's reports of it allowing you to sit so close and still have it look really really good. The bottom of my screen is only 20" off the floor and is tightly architecturally framed and deeply recessed. When there is depth to be shown it really sets off the picture and why I am such a depth honk.

I think I am going to get a chance actually to go over to Gotchaa's theater soon as he lives pretty close, and take my Darblet over so he can see it again for the 1st time since CEDIA 2 years ago with his RS55, while he waits for his on back order for looks like mid July, and I will get a chance to see the the Darbee processing with an RS55 and its eShift. Will let you know my impressions but everyone so far has posted this is a killer combo. I don't expect to be an exception.
post #827 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
DrDarbee ; I was reading this precis in a post by Ron in another thread ; is this still the roadmap with a firmware upgradeable standalone and separate non firmware generational ''cable'' models ? Thanks for any insights smile.gif
Quote:
The first products will be very cost effective and reasonably priced in the form of modded HDMI cables (small module on end attaching to source out) with small remote to bump the DarbeeVision process from OFF to 5 - 10 - 15..... up to 120 level of the effects in 5 point increments. Default usually left around 100 - 110. No unwanted artifacts were generated. Eventually there will be a set top box for more money but that mainly will buy you more STB features....switching probably, analogue inputs, etc, etc but not additional processing. It will likely be firmwared upgradable in the field however, ala Lumagen, so as their technology advances you will be able to stay current with your hardware investment. But you will get all the bang for the buck technologically with each generation of the cables at a fraction of the cost. Of course they're not firmware upgradable.
post #828 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 PM

Tom Huffman has my Darblet and I have no idea what it was doing re color spaces in my setup. I just sold my Samsung and am awaiting a Sony 1000ES plus I won;t get a Darbee until after the 16th, probably that means until the week of the 20th so I can't answer any questions as to what I was getting with it.. Remember I also had eye surgery and fortunately have fully recovered but I haven't done much watching in my HT this month because ot it. I am looking forward to getting a Sony and putting a Darblet on it (when I previously had a Sony 1000ES the Darblet wasn't available). Also I am, looking forward to beta testing the new 4K Lumagen when it comes out and also inserting a Teranex into my chain now that we are dealers and it is available without 3D conversion for $2000 MSRP. Buying one of these is a no brainer since they were and are the best for deinterlacing and many filter applications and use to cost at least 10 times as much plus its now HDMI.
post #829 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

DrDarbee ; I was reading this precis in a post by Ron in another thread ; is this still the roadmap with a firmware upgradeable standalone and separate non firmware generational ''cable'' models ? Thanks for any insights smile.gif
Quote:
The first products will be very cost effective and reasonably priced in the form of modded HDMI cables (small module on end attaching to source out) with small remote to bump the DarbeeVision process from OFF to 5 - 10 - 15..... up to 120 level of the effects in 5 point increments. Default usually left around 100 - 110. No unwanted artifacts were generated. Eventually there will be a set top box for more money but that mainly will buy you more STB features....switching probably, analogue inputs, etc, etc but not additional processing. It will likely be firmwared upgradable in the field however, ala Lumagen, so as their technology advances you will be able to stay current with your hardware investment. But you will get all the bang for the buck technologically with each generation of the cables at a fraction of the cost. Of course they're not firmware upgradable.

A modded HMDI cable did not make it off the design board.
Both HDMI "pig tails" came off, in favor of a mini-box, chose your own length and quality of cables.
Full box, robustly featured? The worldwide feedback (from US, UK, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Italy, France, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand) is that the box is desired.
On the other hand, a sparsely featured cable would make a nifty gift.

-DD
post #830 of 8107 Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

A modded HMDI cable did not make it off the design board.
Both HDMI "pig tails" came off, in favor of a mini-box, chose your own length and quality of cables.
Full box, robustly featured? The worldwide feedback (from US, UK, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Italy, France, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand) is that the box is desired.
On the other hand, a sparsely featured cable would make a nifty gift.
-DD

Thanks for the clarification [ and posting @ dtv forum] ; I have a separate vp and there is much interest down under for the darblet as you know so the mention of generational models and whether they would/wouldnt be firmware upgradeable piqued interest smile.gif If a standalone does come to fruition I would somehow bet it would be firmware upgradeable cool.gif
post #831 of 8107 Old 06-30-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Tom Huffman has my Darblet and I have no idea what it was doing re color spaces in my setup. I just sold my Samsung and am awaiting a Sony 1000ES plus I won;t get a Darbee until after the 16th, probably thatmeans until the week of the 20th so I can't answer any questionsas to what I was getting with it.. Remember I also had eye surgery and fortunately have fully recovered but I haven't done much watching in my HT this month because ot it. I am looking forward to getting a Sony and putting a Darblet on it (when I previously had a Sony 1000ES the Darblet wasn't available. also I am, looking forward to beta testing the new 4K Lumagen when it comes out and also inserting a Teranex into my chain now that we are dealers and it is available without 3D conversion for $2000 MSRP. Buying one of these is a no brainer since they were and are the best for deinterlacing and many filter applications and used to cost at least 10 times as much plus its now HDMI.

Hopefully, Tom will let us know what he thinks after his review. any idea when the 4K Lumagen's will be available for previous beta buyers?
post #832 of 8107 Old 06-30-2012, 05:59 AM

Tom's away till after the 4th or so and no I have no idea when the Lumagen 4K will be released for Beta testing. If you are interested in being one, e mail Lumagen. I suspect they will want one to have a 4K display.
post #833 of 8107 Old 07-01-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

Have you given any further thoughts to an internet connection for updates? I would prefer a LAN connection but a USB stick would also work.

Where would you plug a USB stick or RJ-45 connector into the Darblet?

Quote:
If you add an internet connection you could perhaps charge an upgrade fee for original buyers to exchange their units.

Do you mean a retrofit to the existing units? That seems highly improbable. Or are you suggesting they should design a brand new unit with this capability, and swap out all the units they've sold so far?

- Tim
post #834 of 8107 Old 07-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Most good products have subsequent generations. While it is way too early for a second geration unit employing Darbee processing, I would expect one in say a year or so and I trust many of the suggestions here to be incorporated including software changes by the user over the internet. I would assume such a product would be more expensive than the Darblet. Just guesses by me.
post #835 of 8107 Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 AM

I've read through the thread twice now and am very excited by this product. It certainly sounds like it has quite an effect on a variety of material.

I'm wondering what effect to expect from underwhelming Bluray material. Two obvious examples of movies I've wished looked a little better are Batman Begins & Superman Returns, both of which I find lack fine detail, whether it be due to the source / filtering / DNR or whatever.

Has anyone tried the Darblet on either of these movies and if so what was the result like?
post #836 of 8107 Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbrown21 View Post

I've read through the thread twice now and am very excited by this product. It certainly sounds like it has quite an effect on a variety of material.
I'm wondering what effect to expect from underwhelming Bluray material. Two obvious examples of movies I've wished looked a little better are Batman Begins & Superman Returns, both of which I find lack fine detail, whether it be due to the source / filtering / DNR or whatever.
Has anyone tried the Darblet on either of these movies and if so what was the result like?

The Darblet cannot add detail that isn't there in the source. What it does is help the detail that's there come out a little more.

Josh Z

post #837 of 8107 Old 07-02-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 122
In my experience, the better the source, the better the improvement the Darblet provides.

My reference is the Bluray of The Art of Flight. The detail enhancement of the snow covered peaks is spectacular; the incredibly close up images of faces is a great way to best determine the settings; the strong color saturation provides further ability to dial in the correct settings for your screen/projector/processor/room.

By the way, the image quality of this video is stunning (with or without Darbee) --- and the opening sound sequence is awesome as well.

I can picture the upgraded product in a very nicely designed (larger) metal box, HDMI and (improved) power connection on the rear (NOT the side) , Ethernet connection for upgrades (also on the rear) and about a $499 price point --- and worth every penny of it. In my system (OPPO to SSP pass through to Lumagen to Darblet to JVC RS55, the improvements I got from the Darbee easily exceeded the improvements I got from the $4000 Lumagen (particularly if you consider the price difference). I use a setting of about 50 to 55 on HD.

YMMV.
post #838 of 8107 Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

In my experience, the better the source, the better the improvement the Darblet provides.
My reference is the Bluray of The Art of Flight. The detail enhancement of the snow covered peaks is spectacular; the incredibly close up images of faces is a great way to best determine the settings; the strong color saturation provides further ability to dial in the correct settings for your screen/projector/processor/room.
By the way, the image quality of this video is stunning (with or without Darbee) --- and the opening sound sequence is awesome as well.

I have to agree with you, who thought a snowboarding film would be so jaw-dropping !

I`ve watched the opening credits sequence with the stunning M83 music track numerous times. I`m looking forward to receiving my Darblet and see how it transforms an already awesome picture !

Dave
post #839 of 8107 Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just curious if there's anyone out there who has used the Darblet and doesn't like it? I've seen people express skepticism (including myself) and perhaps mixed feelings, but is there anyone who actually dislikes it and returned it?

Josh Z

post #840 of 8107 Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

And you're only talking about its actual performance I'm sure.....not minor to major annoyances with the HDMI and any other issues about the physical form. Good question.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page