post #8461 of 8486 Old 01-19-2015, 06:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I have a Denon 4520 receiver, JVS RS46 projector and a 136" 2.35:1 screen (108" in 1.78:1/16x9).

I was watching last nights episode of Gold Rush when I plugged it in. After install I wasn't getting audio so I had to reseat the HDMI cable from the source (no occurrence since).

By default, the Darbee leaves the setting on the lower right corner so I went into the settings (only accessible by the push buttons on the box itself) and turned off the 'persistent' setting and turned down the LED brightness.

You can access this with the remote.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 8486 Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I ran into some big problems when I tried to use the Darbee with my PS3. I am pretty sure it was an HDMI handshake failure, but no amount of rebooting the PS3, receiver or TV would correct it. The screen would appear for a few seconds, and then go black and then flash and then look broken up and then go black and eventually my TV would give me an incompatible format error.

Scott
post #8463 of 8486 Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
I ran into some big problems when I tried to use the Darbee with my PS3. I am pretty sure it was an HDMI handshake failure, but no amount of rebooting the PS3, receiver or TV would correct it. The screen would appear for a few seconds, and then go black and then flash and then look broken up and then go black and eventually my TV would give me an incompatible format error.
You need to change the deep colour resolution. I'm not familiar with PS3, therefore nit sure if you can, or how.
post #8464 of 8486 Old 01-19-2015, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post
Darblet remote's leftmost button on top row is dual function. If in Darblet menu then it is Select. If not, it is On/Off toggle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You can access this with the remote.
Ahh, there it is. I programmed it immediately to my Harmony and never even looked at the original remote. I fixed the Harmony mapping and I'm all set.

I added a "Darbee On/Off" & "Less"/"More" button to every activity.
post #8465 of 8486 Old 01-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DARBEE Visual Presence - Website - 4K Downloadable Image Files

Quote:
I have a Darbee Darblet 5000 connected between my Onkyo TX-NR636 and Samsung PN60F8500 60" plasma. My wife and I have enjoyed our Darblet's enhancements since we purchased it April 2013. Last night we watched a FiOS DVR recorded "Thor: The Dark World" and the picture quality was stunning.

After the movie, I mentioned to my wife that some people with projectors report no difference in picture quality when they try a Darblet. Our experience has been that the improvement we see are the same as what is shown on the DarbeeVision.com website's Gallery. As an experiment, I went to the F8500's SMARTHUB browser application and viewed the DarbeeVision Gallery directly to the F8500 without the Darblet in the video chain. The Gallery picture improvements where the same as what we see with other sources (DVD & Fios) in Darblet Demo mode.

Wonder what the DarbeeVision Gallery would look like when reprocessed with a Darblet and without.
If I had the Gallery images on a USB thumb drive I could view the Gallery through my TX-NR636's USB port. The double processed Gallery's images would be interesting to compare.

It would be interesting if projector owners who see no DarbeeVision improvement would repeat my experiment with the Gallery and post their results.

Suggestion to Darbee: Provide a way to download all the DarbeeVision Gallery pictures as files to a USB thumbdrive. The Interactive Images could be shown in three versions: no enhancement, split like Demo mode, and full image Darbee processed.

Update to suggestion:
These USB images could be viewed by potential buyers on their TV's and for troubleshooting when no improvement seen during installation. They would show what the TV's display is capable of rendering.
JR,
You may not realize it, but the images sitting in our 4K Gallery are downloadable.
http://darbeevision.com/4k-samples
These wonderful photos were supplied to us by our photographer/videographer friend, Ron Fabienke.
The images are processed: DVP at 0%, 30%, 50%, 70%, 100%
We specifically posted them up so that everyone could grab them and see what DARBEE Visual Presence looks like on their own 4K system, because the Darblet will not process an image larger than 2K.
Our plan is to put up more ultra-high resolution images over time.

Also, we created and launched a new processing system called DARBEE On Demand.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/01/prweb12421324.htm
The processing on the back end of this cloud based, browser UI, system is Visual Presence, but for ANY resolution image: SD, HD, UHD, 4K, 6K, 8K, or larger.
This system will be gradually released for wider use, it is currently only for use by our OEM partners.

Thank you for the idea/request,
-DD
post #8466 of 8486 Old 01-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 41
@DarbeeDr ,

Thanks for your quick reply and the information. I have created a folders structure on a Thumbdrive. The folders are: DarbeeVision.com / Galleries / 4K Samples and copied all the 4 K Samples into it. The total space required is 230 MB.

Inserting the Thumbdrive into a USB port on my Samsung PN-60F8500 1080P plasma allowed me to view all of the images directly to the TV. When I inserted the Thumbdrive into the USB port on my Onkyo TX-NR636, it did not recognize the .PNG format.

I have a few ideas what I can do with these image files and will try to find some time tonight.

Thanks again

Jim
post #8467 of 8486 Old 01-19-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
@DarbeeDr ,

Thanks for your quick reply and the information. I have created a folders structure on a Thumbdrive. The folders are: DarbeeVision.com / Galleries / 4K Samples and copied all the 4 K Samples into it. The total space required is 230 MB.

Inserting the Thumbdrive into a USB port on my Samsung PN-60F8500 1080P plasma allowed me to view all of the images directly to the TV. When I inserted the Thumbdrive into the USB port on my Onkyo TX-NR636, it did not recognize the .PNG format.

I have a few ideas what I can do with these image files and will try to find some time tonight.

Thanks again

Jim
Jim,
This freeware is a powerful viewer, multi-image viewer, scaler, image processor, bulk renamer, etc.: http://www.faststone.org/
You can use it, or some other image converter software, to convert the files to a format that your system will accept.
BR,
-DD
post #8468 of 8486 Old 01-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

@DarbeeDr,

Thanks for info. Here is what I have learned about USB input on my devices:

Sony BDP S570 Blu-Ray Player: Documentation claims PNG supported. But when I go to folder get msg: "There is no playable file." I suspect that it is the size not the file type that it is objecting to. Will try fastone to make a smaller file that it may like. Would like to see what the 4K files look like when displayed through my video chain with my Darblet 5000 reprocessing each.

Onkyo TX-NR636 Receiver: Audio from USB only

Samsung PN60F8500 Plasma: No problem with 4K PNG files

Did some more testing of 4K files read directly from USB port of F8500, with the 4K files downloaded from http://darbeevision.com/4k-samples . To make it easier to compare different files, expanded the USB's folders as shown in Thumbnail below.

The folders flowers, rock, and stream only have the original and HD100 files. When I navigated to each of the three folders, 5" square "thumbnails" of the included files were displayed one above the other. Even at this level of compression, there was noticeable improvement in the HD100 images.

When I displayed the first flowers original I realized that it was the best picture that I had ever seen on the F8500. It should be, the F8500 was just reading its USB port and displaying the image at the screen's native 1080P. When I switched to the HD100 file, the original flower picture immediately became the second best picture I have ever seen on the F8500.

To make it easier to A/B compare, I played flower, rock, and stream folders as slide shows at fast speed. I would focus on one element of the picture and the two versions would flash up in a loop.

The improvements were very noticable at my normal 8+ foot viewing distance and got better as I approached the F8500. Rock A/B compare is just incredible at any distance!!!
The detail brought out in the HD100's rock surface and surf -- WOW!!!

Suggestion for 4K files: In addition to the ones now available, create two more files of the HD xxx pictures. One with original on left half and the other with the original on the right half, because the content of rock and stream pictures varies so much from side to side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbdrive folders.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	489226  

Last edited by JRWalker; 01-19-2015 at 07:24 PM.
post #8469 of 8486 Old 01-20-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
@DarbeeDr,

Thanks for info. Here is what I have learned about USB input on my devices:

Sony BDP S570 Blu-Ray Player: Documentation claims PNG supported. But when I go to folder get msg: "There is no playable file." I suspect that it is the size not the file type that it is objecting to. Will try fastone to make a smaller file that it may like. Would like to see what the 4K files look like when displayed through my video chain with my Darblet 5000 reprocessing each.

Onkyo TX-NR636 Receiver: Audio from USB only

Samsung PN60F8500 Plasma: No problem with 4K PNG files

Did some more testing of 4K files read directly from USB port of F8500, with the 4K files downloaded from http://darbeevision.com/4k-samples . To make it easier to compare different files, expanded the USB's folders as shown in Thumbnail below.

The folders flowers, rock, and stream only have the original and HD100 files. When I navigated to each of the three folders, 5" square "thumbnails" of the included files were displayed one above the other. Even at this level of compression, there was noticeable improvement in the HD100 images.

When I displayed the first flowers original I realized that it was the best picture that I had ever seen on the F8500. It should be, the F8500 was just reading its USB port and displaying the image at the screen's native 1080P. When I switched to the HD100 file, the original flower picture immediately became the second best picture I have ever seen on the F8500.

To make it easier to A/B compare, I played flower, rock, and stream folders as slide shows at fast speed. I would focus on one element of the picture and the two versions would flash up in a loop.

The improvements were very noticable at my normal 8+ foot viewing distance and got better as I approached the F8500. Rock A/B compare is just incredible at any distance!!!
The detail brought out in the HD100's rock surface and surf -- WOW!!!

Suggestion for 4K files: In addition to the ones now available, create two more files of the HD xxx pictures. One with original on left half and the other with the original on the right half, because the content of rock and stream pictures varies so much from side to side.
JR,
Thank you for the suggestions.
You may be suggesting this (I wasn't quite sure), but a useful way to examine a source image vs. processed image is to cut them each in half and flip the right half of the processed image, so that the resulting composited image contains the left side of the source image on the left and the mirror of the source image (but processed) left side of the source image on the right. You could do the same with the other half of the images. The symmetry of the spatial content makes it quite easy to explore the differences.
We will work on expanding the 4K image sets, over time.
-DD
post #8470 of 8486 Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

@DarbeeDr,

To try and get my Sony BDP S570 Blu-Ray Player to recognize PNG files, I downloaded http://www.faststone.org/ freeware that you suggested. Resized the three HD100 4K pictures to 1080P. The rock for example went from 15,120kb to 5,070kb. My S570 still claimed "There is no playable file." in the 1080P folder. Going to take this up with Sony Support. They claim to support PNG files in their documentation for the S570.

Update Jan 22: Called Sony support and they pointed out to me that I was misreading a features table for the S570. It does not support PNG and that is well documented.

To Confirming that the 1080P files were good, I tried them from the F8500's USB port and they displayed without any problem. Since I had the 1080P HD100 pictures I wondered how they would compare to the 4K pictures. Created folders with just the 4K and 1080P version of each HD100 pictures. Displaying those pictures on my F8500 it said that the 4K version was 3224x2160. The 1080P version was shown as 1612x1080.

Comparing the the 4K and 1080P pictures in a two picture fast slideshow I had to get very close to see the differences. (Those photo's by Ron Fabienke are truly wonderful!) A few inches from the F8500 I thought that I was seeing differences in the pictures. Under magnification I could see pixel level variations. In the Rock picture, where at the leading edge of the surf between the rock and the cliff, the spray was in one case a single column of three bright white pixels in the 1080P picture, but the 4K picture showed the lowest pixel bright white and two above at about half brightness.

Last edited by JRWalker; 01-22-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Updated info about S570 support of PNG
post #8471 of 8486 Old 01-21-2015, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got one of these a couple of weeks ago, and I have been very impressed with what it does, except for one problem. Twice since I've owned it, the unit resets back to factory settings.

I have all of my sources going into my receiver, which then feeds a signal to the Darbee. I know at least one of the resets happened when switching sources. No other handshake issues, and I'm not even sure this is a handshake issue. I did buy a 3' hdmi cable to go from the darbee to the tv, could that be the problem?
post #8472 of 8486 Old 01-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhulett View Post
Got one of these a couple of weeks ago, and I have been very impressed with what it does, except for one problem. Twice since I've owned it, the unit resets back to factory settings.

I have all of my sources going into my receiver, which then feeds a signal to the Darbee. I know at least one of the resets happened when switching sources. No other handshake issues, and I'm not even sure this is a handshake issue. I did buy a 3' hdmi cable to go from the darbee to the tv, could that be the problem?
Darbee vision darblet

Darbee vision darblet
post #8473 of 8486 Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been using a Darbee in my main setup with a 60 inch Pioneer Kuro for the past year and it's made a marked improvement when watching blu ray movies. Loved it so much that I just bought another at $199.00 for the living room and my Panasonic GT50. One 4.9 HDMI went from my Time Warner DVR to the Darbee with a 6.00 foot to the Panasonic. No handshake issues and already I can see a big improvement on my HD channels. Watched Person of Interest with the Darby set at 75 HD mode. Brought out details I never noticed in the past. Will play with it more tonight. May buy another for the bedroom.
post #8474 of 8486 Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks for the links. I guess the question is, is one of the hdmi handshake issues the unit resetting itself?
post #8475 of 8486 Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhulett View Post
Thanks for the links. I guess the question is, is one of the hdmi handshake issues the unit resetting itself?
As I understand you post, you are using a one meter HDMI cable connected to your Darblet. If you replace that cable with a two meter cable and the problem goes away then that was the cause of the problem. This is know by us older guys as the Henny Youngman solution.
post #8476 of 8486 Old 01-21-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Just ordered off Amazon. Finally broke down. I have to see for myself!!!
While I should have just paid an extra $100 and got the Oppo 103D w/Darbee when I bought the regular 103, now I'm paying $200 for the Darbee features.
For my setup though, having ease of access to the unit for switching HDMI sources is a good thing.
Can't wait to test it out!

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~ Parasound Halo C2 Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ CAT Tiburons (surrounds)
Energy E-XL15s ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One & PS3
post #8477 of 8486 Old 01-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a Darbee set up this way: DishTV receiver, Cable Box DVR and Oppo 103 (sound only) all connected to my Yamaha AV receiver via hdmi. The HDMI 1 out from my Yamaha goes to the Darbee, which in turn sends everything to my Epson 6030 projector's hdmi 1 in. The Oppo 103 has an hdmi out 2, which I use for video only and have going directly to the projector's hdmi 2 in.

Now my question. How can I use the Darbee with the Oppo? I know I could enable video in the Oppo going to my Yamaha but that defeats the purpose of my dedicated cable going directly to the projector from the Oppo. I also know I could unhook everything when using the Oppo and send the video only signal through Darbee but that would be a pain. Is there a switch or some other device that I could use?

shortspark
post #8478 of 8486 Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
I've had my Darbee for a year and half with my PS3, no problems at all. FAT version PS3.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #8479 of 8486 Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Anyone selling there darbee for a good price?
post #8480 of 8486 Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Played it a bit more today. Still feel mixed.

I replaced the 3 foot cable between the Darbee and receiver with a 6 foot cable (still 25 feet to the projector). No dropout or reset issues today.

Watched We're the Millers and Oblivion. Definitely liked the image better with the Darbee, but then started playing with the sharpness settings on the projector and liked that too.

I put in Ghostbusters and the Darbee definitely made that look worse. It digitized the grain and made it really stand out. I've read that older 'grainy' films won't look great with the Darbee and I think I agree. Even Man of Steel didn't look that great with the Darbee (I actually think the MoS video quality is abysmal).

Still have mixed feelings. I don't think I like having to play with it for each movie I put in. I think I'll turn it off and forget it or leave it on and watch a crummy picture but not notice.
What settings in the Darblet are you using? Ideally, you should not need to fiddle with the setting for each movie. You may simply have it set too high. Try backing it down, and be sure to always use the "Hi-Def" mode. Most users recommend a setting between 30-45%. The exact number will vary depending on how the unit reacts with your specific display.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8481 of 8486 Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
I've had my Darbee for a year and half with my PS3, no problems at all. FAT version PS3.
I tried it with both my first gen and second gen PS3s and had the same problem. No issues with my Chromecast or Roku, so I doubt the problem is related to my receiver or TV. I took the Darbee out of the signal path and the problem went away, so it is specifically caused by some interaction between the Darbee and the PS3. I am going to go through the settings on the PS3 and see if there is anything funky I need to adjust, but I am honestly a bit baffled.

Scott
post #8482 of 8486 Old 01-22-2015, 12:55 PM

Darbee vision darblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
What settings in the Darblet are you using?
Hi-Def mode. I started at 65% and have backed it off to 50% and I'm pretty settled there. It's hard to see a difference much lower on my JVC RS46 at 136".

No more problems since I put in that longer HDMI cable.

Also nice to program the on/off and more & less functions to the Harmony remote for each Activity.
post #8483 of 8486 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

I think I'm going to keep it. I still think at $200 its a bit too expensive, but it adds a bit of 'spice' and does make things look a bit more detailed. Honestly though, if you took it out, I probably wouldn't know.
post #8484 of 8486 Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
DVP-5000 issue for the last few months!

Hi guys wondering if someone can help me…

I've got a 1st gen DVP-5000 bought from AVS in 2012 (has the colorspace firmware fix tho), and has been working flawlessly with my Denon 5308ci => Lumagen Mini => JVC RS57 since. But over the past few months when macro powering on my system (I use iRule iPad), I'm not getting any video to pass until I unplug and reconnect power. After that, no issues… until the next power-up.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thx!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #8485 of 8486 Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Hi guys wondering if someone can help me ... over the past few months when macro powering on my system (I use iRule iPad), I'm not getting any video to pass until I unplug and reconnect.
Where in your chain does the Darblet sit?

That aside, one possible tweak is the power-on order you build in. It typically enhances stability to always turn on the display (in your case the JVC projector) first, and then work backwards through the chain until the last device powered on is the source.

A second tweak that can help is to build in delays, so that after the display / projector powers up, there is a delay before the next device starts up, and so on down the line. That gives each device a better chance of getting the handshake right in a borderline HDCP chain.

As an experiment, if you manually turn on the JVC, give it a full minute to warm up, and then slowly power up your other devices, until finally turning on the source, do you still have the glitch?

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #8486 of 8486 Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Where in your chain does the Darblet sit?

That aside, one possible tweak is the power-on order you build in. It typically enhances stability to always turn on the display (in your case the JVC projector) first, and then work backwards through the chain until the last device powered on is the source.

A second tweak that can help is to build in delays, so that after the display / projector powers up, there is a delay before the next device starts up, and so on down the line. That gives each device a better chance of getting the handshake right in a borderline HDCP chain.

As an experiment, if you manually turn on the JVC, give it a full minute to warm up, and then slowly power up your other devices, until finally turning on the source, do you still have the glitch?
Thanks for the feedback. I'll do a little experimenting as you mention but what's odd is there's been no changes to my system (worked fine after my JVC firmware update last year and no gear or cables swapped or changed since).

As mentioned in my post the Darblet is after the Lumagen; just before the JVC (i.e. - last in line; albeit connected to a 25ft cable to get there).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page