Darbee vision darblet - Page 286 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #8551 of 8567 Old 02-22-2015, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 31
How is this device different from MadVR? I'm considering getting one for my HTPC

Mainly to increase the quality of ufc fight pass. Does it upscale? (720 to 1080)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 8567 Old 02-22-2015, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
How is this device different from MadVR? I'm considering getting one for my HTPC

Mainly to increase the quality of ufc fight pass. Does it upscale? (720 to 1080)?

the Darbee does not upscale, the Darblet adds intense depth and clarity and that is all.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #8553 of 8567 Old 02-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I received mine today and hooked it up to my Oppo 93 to a Benq W1070. First impression, not overly impressed. Added just a tad of oomph. (hidef at 50) Switched to Demo mode split and watched a bit of content. It wasn't that big of a night and day difference. I then switched darbee on and off and that is where I truly appreciated the value. Landscapes scenes in the movie Australia were sharper and details in the faces were more apparent. I also played back Catching Fire and appreciated the added punch.

Overall, not as dramatic of an effect that i've seen on you tube, etc. I think they boost it up to 120% full pop or something. The effect for me is more subtle. I then switched to Directv and not a huge improvement. I'll continue to play with it. I'm happy to add it to my setup. For those on the fence, I would put the money on something else that needs to be upgraded prior to adding the darbee. Once you are happy with your video and audio, then I would suggest to add the darbee.

I'll add additional comments as I dink around with it a bit more.
post #8554 of 8567 Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Dont underestimate using Gaming at 50.Nice middle ground

Matt
post #8555 of 8567 Old 02-24-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
I received mine today and hooked it up to my Oppo 93 to a Benq W1070. First impression, not overly impressed. Added just a tad of oomph. (hidef at 50) Switched to Demo mode split and watched a bit of content. It wasn't that big of a night and day difference. I then switched darbee on and off and that is where I truly appreciated the value. Landscapes scenes in the movie Australia were sharper and details in the faces were more apparent. I also played back Catching Fire and appreciated the added punch.

Overall, not as dramatic of an effect that i've seen on you tube, etc. I think they boost it up to 120% full pop or something. The effect for me is more subtle. I then switched to Directv and not a huge improvement. I'll continue to play with it. I'm happy to add it to my setup.
It's only natural to expect a night-and-day difference when installing any new piece of equipment. When we turn it on, we want to immediately know that it's working and doing something dramatic. Otherwise, what's the point of it?

However, what you should try to keep in mind here is that you don't actually want the Darbee to change what a movie looks like. The movie is what it is, and should look like what the director shot it to look like. If you add processing to dramatically alter what a movie looks like, that's actually a bad thing.

The Darbee does not change what a movie looks like. It provides a subtle enhancement to make detail that's already in the picture more clearly visible. The effect can be equated to upgrading your TV/projector to the next model up. Considering how expensive it would be to upgrade your display, adding a $300 box that provides a similar effect is actually a pretty good value.

Ideally, Darbee processing should not draw attention to itself. You want to watch the movie, not the processor box. After a short while, you should forget that it's even on at all. It just does its thing in the background, making everything look a little bit better without you worrying about it.

Before you installed the Darbee, did you fiddle with your TV's settings every time you put in a new movie? No, you did your initial calibration, chose the proper settings, and stopped thinking about it anymore. Same deal here.

Quote:
For those on the fence, I would put the money on something else that needs to be upgraded prior to adding the darbee. Once you are happy with your video and audio, then I would suggest to add the darbee.
I think this is a fair piece of advice.
MCaugusto and fredxr2d2 like this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8556 of 8567 Old 02-24-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Does the Darbee pass-thru when turned off?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #8557 of 8567 Old 02-24-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Does the Darbee pass-thru when turned off?
Not when the power is off.
post #8558 of 8567 Old 02-24-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

So there is no way to switch back and forth to see what the effect is?

post #8559 of 8567 Old 02-24-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
So there is no way to switch back and forth to see what the effect is?
Per the FAQ:
Does the Darblet still process the image if I set the Darbee Level to zero? Would I then get the same image that I would see if the Darblet were not in the chain?
If you set the Darbee Level to zero, the Darblet simply passes the input to the output untouched, so, yes, you will then see the exact original image. In fact, toggling the Darbee button on and off is an excellent way to compare the effect of Darbee Visual Presence in-place on a single screen.

Edits:
When toggling the Darbee button on and off the power remains on. The Darblet consumes less than five watts of power.

RE: pass-thru: [The Darblet is not compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC) or High-Speed Ethernet Channel (HEC)]

Last edited by Paul H; 02-24-2015 at 03:46 PM.
post #8560 of 8567 Old 02-24-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a quick way to determine if it's worth the expenditure.

post #8561 of 8567 Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For those of you with Dune players, what is your color mode and osd frame rate set on?
post #8562 of 8567 Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I found the easiest way to compare the original and Darby'd image was by pausing a movie on a really good spot. A image/scene that has incredible detail. Then switch the Darby On/Off to compare. Doing the split screen or sweep didn't work for me. I needed to focus on a certain area of the image and then switch the Darby on and off to see the difference.
This was also how I set my level. I paused on a scene that had a perfectly clear face shot, actually did this several times with different faces. and adjusted the Darby on the skin. What I found is that the Darby would introduce what looks like a bad complexion on the actors faces if turned too high. I ended up at HD-35.
|Tch0rT| likes this.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~ Parasound Halo C2 Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (side surrounds)
CAT Tiburons(rear surr) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One
post #8563 of 8567 Old 02-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
I found the easiest way to compare the original and Darby'd image was by pausing a movie on a really good spot ... What I found is that the Darby would introduce what looks like a bad complexion on the actors faces if turned too high. I ended up at HD-35.
Good approach. Another good one is to put the Darbee into split screen demo mode, and then pause on the highly detailed Blu-Ray image of your choice. Then play forward in slow motion, and watch the object pass from one side of the demo to the other, and compare exactly what things look like on each side of the magic line.

As you mention, a facial close-up is full of detail and information. High quality CGI is another great test opportunity, maybe something like an Enterprise close-up from Into Darkness. Not that I've ever done that, of course.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #8564 of 8567 Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I agree, facial close-ups are excellent for assessing Darbee's picture enhancement. The best I found is from the movie, King Kong, the one with Adrien Brody, Jack Black and Naomi Watts. There is a scene where Jack Black is on the ground and his face takes up nearly the entire scene. There is dirt on his face, hair, sweat, grime, etc. Going back and forth over the paused picture will give a good indication of what Darbee can do. It sort of boosts the clarity and adds definition to the subtle characteristics like eyebrow hairs and facial lines. There are a couple good shots of the Wizard in Lord of the Rings and also of the priest in the 5th Element that are excellent for this facial close-up test as well.

shortspark
post #8565 of 8567 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some of advice from Darbee Darblet owners.

I have a Oppo 103 and wish I had the Darbee processing. I can either get the 103D or add a Darblet to the 103.

IYO, is there any advantage to having the Darblet as a separate device rather than getting the processing that's built into the 103D?

thanks
post #8566 of 8567 Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post
I need some of advice from Darbee Darblet owners.

I have a Oppo 103 and wish I had the Darbee processing. I can either get the 103D or add a Darblet to the 103.

IYO, is there any advantage to having the Darblet as a separate device rather than getting the processing that's built into the 103D?

thanks
I was in the same boat with an Oppo 93. Do I get a 103D or add a stand alone darblet???

With the recent price drop on the darblet to $200, I would look at what you would pay for the 103D. I tried to get a refurbished 103D but there is a waiting list. There wasn't back in August when I first was looking. I decided to purchase a stand alone and not go through the hassle of selling the 93 and probably end up paying more than $200 for the 103d at the end of the day.

For performance, the advantage to the 103d is the ability to use the input for other devices for scaling, etc... but limits you to one. If you put the darblet at the end of the chain, it works for everything. I don't think you'll have any performance difference with the 103d versus the standalone.

Let us know your thoughts.
post #8567 of 8567 Old Today, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
I was in the same boat with an Oppo 93. Do I get a 103D or add a stand alone darblet???

With the recent price drop on the darblet to $200, I would look at what you would pay for the 103D. I tried to get a refurbished 103D but there is a waiting list. There wasn't back in August when I first was looking. I decided to purchase a stand alone and not go through the hassle of selling the 93 and probably end up paying more than $200 for the 103d at the end of the day.

For performance, the advantage to the 103d is the ability to use the input for other devices for scaling, etc... but limits you to one. If you put the darblet at the end of the chain, it works for everything. I don't think you'll have any performance difference with the 103d versus the standalone.

Let us know your thoughts.
Agreed. Stand alone darblet can work for all sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor