Darbee vision darblet - Page 288 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 109Likes
post #8611 of 8633 Old 03-19-2015, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank's to everyone who gave an opinion to my original post all of which are positive.

Had you all wrote that the Darbee was garbage I'd have £199 more in my pocket now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8612 of 8633 Old 03-19-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
TL;DR

The DVP5000 would be the better way to go as one could install it between the AVR and the TV/PJ vs getting a oppo 103d, right? Thanks.
post #8613 of 8633 Old 03-22-2015, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
im thinking of getting a darblet for use with a BenQ W1070

Are these a good match ?
post #8614 of 8633 Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm using a w1070. My initial reaction i wasn't blown away but it has grown on me. I'm running hd mode at 50.
old corps likes this.
post #8615 of 8633 Old 03-22-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpack View Post
im thinking of getting a darblet for use with a BenQ W1070

Are these a good match ?
I have the BenQ W1080ST (virtually same model as W1070 except for short throw distance) - - and the Darblet is absolutely fantastic with the projector. Night and day. It's like putting a pair of glasses on - - the image is much sharper with the Darblet on. Colors are great, too!

Not sure what folks say/see when they comment that the Darblet doesn't make much difference for a projector. Not my experience. A profound, positive difference.
Mr.G and fredxr2d2 like this.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #8616 of 8633 Old 03-23-2015, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by momswgn View Post
The DVP5000 would be the better way to go as one could install it between the AVR and the TV/PJ vs getting a oppo 103d, right? Thanks.
Yes definitely, the Darblet can be installed between the AVR and the TV/PJ. Most do it that way, and with good results. As for "better way to go", that's a closer call. It's definitely the less expensive way to go. For many, that will be the end of the analysis. But the Oppo 103D also offers the ability to route multiple sources through it for Darbee processing, thus producing similar functionality to the Darblet's end-of-chain installation. The UI is different between the two devices. Some will prefer one over the other. The 103D allows for SACD playback obviously, which may be an added bonus for some. But one important nuance is that this Darblet thread has dozens of reports from users that have encountered HDCP "handshake" issues of mixed severity (usually correctable, albeit with varying levels of effort and expense) with their Darblet. In contrast, there are virtually no such reports on the 103D thread. So there is that.

I've owned both devices, and really like both of em, and my experience follows those thread tendencies exactly -- I had fairly persistent handshake headaches with the Darblet, but have never had any with the 103D. That said, I think both devices are terrific because the Darbee effect on my projected image is a must have. Overall, there is no single "better way to go" answer that fits everybody. If a user has longer than usual HDMI runs (one factor that significantly increases the risk of handshake issues), and dislikes tinkering and trouble-shooting, the 103D may be the way to go. If a user is more budget conscious, enjoys tinkering, and has done the homework on how to fix HDCP issues, the Darblet is probably the way to go.

But either way, Darbee processing is killer, and is the same on both devices.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.

Last edited by mogrub; 03-23-2015 at 05:25 AM. Reason: typo
post #8617 of 8633 Old 03-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Yes definitely, the Darblet can be installed between the AVR and the TV/PJ. Most do it that way, and with good results. As for "better way to go", that's a closer call. It's definitely the less expensive way to go. For many, that will be the end of the analysis. But the Oppo 103D also offers the ability to route multiple sources through it for Darbee processing, thus producing similar functionality to the Darblet's end-of-chain installation. The UI is different between the two devices. Some will prefer one over the other. The 103D allows for SACD playback obviously, which may be an added bonus for some. But one important nuance is that this Darblet thread has dozens of reports from users that have encountered HDCP "handshake" issues of mixed severity (usually correctable, albeit with varying levels of effort and expense) with their Darblet. In contrast, there are virtually no such reports on the 103D thread. So there is that.

I've owned both devices, and really like both of em, and my experience follows those thread tendencies exactly -- I had fairly persistent handshake headaches with the Darblet, but have never had any with the 103D. That said, I think both devices are terrific because the Darbee effect on my projected image is a must have. Overall, there is no single "better way to go" answer that fits everybody. If a user has longer than usual HDMI runs (one factor that significantly increases the risk of handshake issues), and dislikes tinkering and trouble-shooting, the 103D may be the way to go. If a user is more budget conscious, enjoys tinkering, and has done the homework on how to fix HDCP issues, the Darblet is probably the way to go.

But either way, Darbee processing is killer, and is the same on both devices.
Thanks for the response. I'm going with the 103D. Now to figure out how to incorporate it as the last link before the plasma and projector since HMDI 2 does not get the Darbee processing. As it stands now I have a NAS to a WD Live Hub, channelmaster, oppo 83, and XBox, PS3 all going into the AVR and the out to the plasma. I'm adding a PJ and keeping the plasma in the same room. I'd like to get darbee processing to both the tv and pj. So maybe running everything into the AVR and outputting to the 103D, splitting the HDMI 1 output of the 103D and run an hdmi to each.
post #8618 of 8633 Old 03-24-2015, 03:45 PM

[quote=j.woodhouse;32726257]After reading the positive reviews on the DVP500 I'm thinking of teaming one up with my Panasonic PTAE8000 projector & 110" screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
I own the 8000, and a 126" 16x9 screen. You WILL see a difference. Just buy it. At first you will play with all the various settings, and going "ohhh, that's nice" and "Whoah..that's too much", then you will find a happy medium and set it at that and leave it alone. Then you will become so used to it, it will be second nature. Then when you think it's not working, go and turn it off and you will go "ugh, that doesn't look right" and then put it back on and be happy..
I have only had 30 short minutes to play with my new Darbee viewing HD TV on a DVR I agree with your opinion but in a reverse order.

When I fired up the Darbee I couldn't notice any change to my usual picture even when adjusting the settings I thought it wasn't working. The split screen demo proved I was wrong as the non Darbee side of the screen looked surprisingly very soft focus. I'm really looking forward to playing with this more & trying it with some decent Bluray material over the next few weeks.
post #8619 of 8633 Old 03-25-2015, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.woodhouse View Post
I have only had 30 short minutes to play with my new Darbee viewing HD TV on a DVR ... When I fired up the Darbee I couldn't notice any change to my usual picture ... The split screen demo proved I was wrong as the non Darbee side of the screen looked surprisingly very soft focus. I'm really looking forward to playing with this more & trying it with some decent Bluray material over the next few weeks.
Yes, that would be a full blow addiction already in process. Sadly, there's a very poor cure rate for that condition. Your two options are (a) seek immediate professional help, or (b) just enjoy your new Darbee.

The second option is way cheaper. Post back when you hit your Blu-Rays. Most users report the better the source, the better the Darbee effect.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #8620 of 8633 Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Not sure what folks say/see when they comment that the Darblet doesn't make much difference for a projector. Not my experience. A profound, positive difference.
Imagine, just hypothetically, that your projector gave you a perfect picture without external processing. Then you wouldn't want to put a Darblet in the chain.

In real life, the Darblet did not improve my Sony VPL-VW600ES. The Sony has its own magic detail enhancer called Reality Creation. I tried the Darblet for a week and ended up moving it to an older Sharp LCD flat panel, which it improves considerably.

True story. This happened last year:

My wife: What do you want for your birthday?
Me: A Darbee Darblet.
Wife: What's that?
Me: A magic box which will make the home theater picture look better.
Wife: How could it look any better?

OPPO BDP-103, Comcast DVR, Sony FMP-X1 4K server
Marantz AV8801 pre/pro, Yamaha MX-A5000 amp
Sony VPL-VW600ES projector, Stewart StudioTek130 103" diag screen
7 Thiel speakers (3 SCS4, 2 PowerPoint, 2 PowerPlane), 2 JL Audio E110 subs
Harmony Ultimate remote
post #8621 of 8633 Old 03-26-2015, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Wife: How could it look any better?
So you don't plan to get 4K then?

The one caveat I will give you is that Reality Creation is very good. The difference you see when turning that on is what we all see.

Regardless, you absolutely should see a difference, because it does do something, which you saw on your Sharp.
post #8622 of 8633 Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 59
It sort of stands to reason that if you have a $10,000 projector, then the $200 little box isn't going to do as much as when you apply the $200 box to a $800 projector or TV. That's my thoughts on it, anyway.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, with Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM55 for surrounds.
post #8623 of 8633 Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Would new CI 5100 any better that current darblet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8624 of 8633 Old 03-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
So you don't plan to get 4K then?
Got it already. The Sony PJ's upscaling is excellent.

OPPO BDP-103, Comcast DVR, Sony FMP-X1 4K server
Marantz AV8801 pre/pro, Yamaha MX-A5000 amp
Sony VPL-VW600ES projector, Stewart StudioTek130 103" diag screen
7 Thiel speakers (3 SCS4, 2 PowerPoint, 2 PowerPlane), 2 JL Audio E110 subs
Harmony Ultimate remote
post #8625 of 8633 Old 03-26-2015, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Got it already. The Sony PJ's upscaling is excellent.
Oh...right. Well, what did you expect!

My next projector will probably be a Sony, I do like them but they sure are spendy. My JVC is lovely.
post #8626 of 8633 Old 03-26-2015, 02:13 PM

I had another play with the darblet last night & experienced the handshake issue which in truth I half expected as the input HDMI is only 3ft I'm about to order a 6ft as this seems to have resolved the problem for other forum users.

Something slightly more peculiar also happened which I haven't seen mentioned on this forum, I always have the frame creation (frame interpolation) set to mode 1 on my Projector & the picture turned "wobbly" as if some parts weren't being drawn as quickly as others. The higher the mode setting the worse it got but with the feature turned off the picture was fine.

I physically removed the darblet from the chain & the problem still remained, whatever had been fed to the projector had affected it (this has never happened before) thankfully turning the projector off & back on resolved it. Odd!

Chain of equipment:

Panasonic bluray outputting YCrCb 4:4:4 - 3ft HDMI - darblet - 25ft HDMI - Panasonic PTAE8000.

Are most people feeding RGB to the darblet rather than YCrCb?

Any wisdom on the above will be appreciated.
post #8627 of 8633 Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 910
I send YCrCb 4:4:4 100% of the time to the Darblet at my main Display. And most of the time that is also sent to my Darblet at my secondary display.

I've been doing that for 2.5 years now without issues.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #8628 of 8633 Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
It sort of stands to reason that if you have a $10,000 projector, then the $200 little box isn't going to do as much as when you apply the $200 box to a $800 projector or TV. That's my thoughts on it, anyway.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, let me contradict you as I own a Runco Q750D LED projector with original msrp of $18,000.00 and my Darbee Darblet does as very noticeable job increasing onscreen contrast (which is supposed to do) as well as somehow giving the impression of sharpening the picture, which is not part of its design afaik.
When I first got the Runco LED projector I didn't think its onscreen picture could be bested and improved but then I connected my Darblet to it at which point it acquired an almost 3D look with focused front-centered images becoming noticeably delineated against all other background images as well as doing similarly for images that are focused across the entire screen.
It is also very easy to see its amazing contrast improvement for starfields images that are so prevalent in today's sci-fi movies and, btw, I have my Darblet cranked all the way up to 85% for bluray and HD cable broadcast and I cannot see any unwanted side effects.
post #8629 of 8633 Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Which of the three Darbee set ups are you using?Ever try game setting which for me is best of both worlds.

Matt
post #8630 of 8633 Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, let me contradict you as I own a Runco Q750D LED projector with original msrp of $18,000.00 and my Darbee Darblet does as very noticeable job increasing onscreen contrast (which is supposed to do) as well as somehow giving the impression of sharpening the picture, which is not part of its design afaik.
When I first got the Runco LED projector I didn't think its onscreen picture could be bested and improved but then I connected my Darblet to it at which point it acquired an almost 3D look with focused front-centered images becoming noticeably delineated against all other background images as well as doing similarly for images that are focused across the entire screen.
It is also very easy to see its amazing contrast improvement for starfields images that are so prevalent in today's sci-fi movies and, btw, I have my Darblet cranked all the way up to 85% for bluray and HD cable broadcast and I cannot see any unwanted side effects.
Well, according to the guy above: maybe you should've gotten a Sony instead...

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, with Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM55 for surrounds.
post #8631 of 8633 Old Today, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Guys, i already have a hdmi splitter which takes the output of my receiver to both my projector (BenQ 1070) and my Plasma (Panny ST60 65 inch)

is adding a Darbee to the chain too many hdmi connections for the video signal ?
post #8632 of 8633 Unread Today, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpack View Post
Guys, i already have a hdmi splitter which takes the output of my receiver to both my projector (BenQ 1070) and my Plasma (Panny ST60 65 inch)

is adding a Darbee to the chain too many hdmi connections for the video signal ?
Pretty much impossible to predict how that would go for you. That's because in some video chains, popping the Darblet in just before the splitter (or even after the splitter, if you intend the Darblet to service only one display) could work fine.

For others, it might not, with the primary culprit being the potential for introducing HDCP / EDID handshake errors, which are discussed at length throughout this thread.

Myriad factors play into that -- the equipment in service, how it is connected, what it is connected with, the length of the various connections, the number of splitters and switches and everything else that comprise the total video chain.

It might work great, but you honestly won't know until you try. If you're interested, buy from a seller that offers you the right of return, and give it a whirl. Most Darblet owners will tell you that if you can make it work, it is well worth the effort.

Post back with what you do, and good luck.

post #8633 of 8633 Unread Today, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone know if the new 5100 is noticeably better than the 5000? What are the differences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page