Darbee vision darblet - Page 289 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2015, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I'm sure you'll see aa difference on a 170" screen
no joke! i thought my 156" scope screen was big...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I'm sure you'll see aa difference on a 170" screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
no joke! i thought my 156" scope screen was big...
Lol, just couldn't help myself, when the GF & I were house hunting last year she said that since I was giving up a garage in order to have this house, I could have the family room (that was a converted garage) to do with whatever I wanted.... lesson learned on her part, NEVER give me full reign on anything....

(Right after I finished the wall, actual is 171")

Darblet should be here by the end of the week, I'll it through it's paces over the weekend.
aaronwt likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Old 04-15-2015, 06:48 AM
g4s

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone have the ac adapter for the Darblet fail? Last night I lost video. The red light on the adapter and the green light on the Darblett were periodically flashing. Like it was trying to reboot. Adapter seemed a little hot also. I bypassed the Darblet, got my video back. Anyway I have a new adapter on the way. Hoping it's not the Darblet causing the problem.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post
Anyone have the ac adapter for the Darblet fail? Last night I lost video. The red light on the adapter and the green light on the Darblett were periodically flashing. Like it was trying to reboot. Adapter seemed a little hot also. I bypassed the Darblet, got my video back. Anyway I have a new adapter on the way. Hoping it's not the Darblet causing the problem.
I have had the adapter fail, while waiting for the warranty replacement to come, I found one from an old cell phone that had the same output and used that.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:39 AM
g4s

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post
I have had the adapter fail, while waiting for the warranty replacement to come, I found one from an old cell phone that had the same output and used that.
Yeah, I guess one of those switchable universal adapters would work fine too. Darbees cost $30…ouch.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

It came today, of course I had handshake issues with my Monoprice cables (6ft Redmere & 6ft Slim, they have never worked right, glad I bought them on sale last holiday season) grabbed an old cable from the bedroom, works just fine.
I've only had the opportunity to test it out with my DirecTV, but it does a nice job, like most people have said, thought the picture was really good, until I turned on the Darblet. HD at about 50-55% works best with my setup, I'll be able to try it out with BR's, DVD's and my LD's this weekend (really interested to see if it will clear up my LaserDisc's) But so far, very happy with it.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 04-17-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Has anyone tried a darblet with an Oled tv?

Matt
Old 04-17-2015, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
It came today, of course I had handshake issues with my Monoprice cables (6ft Redmere & 6ft Slim, they have never worked right, glad I bought them on sale last holiday season) grabbed an old cable from the bedroom, works just fine.
I've only had the opportunity to test it out with my DirecTV, but it does a nice job, like most people have said, thought the picture was really good, until I turned on the Darblet. HD at about 50-55% works best with my setup, I'll be able to try it out with BR's, DVD's and my LD's this weekend (really interested to see if it will clear up my LaserDisc's) But so far, very happy with it.

I almost bought the Redmere HDMI cable (35 feet long) from Monoprice. You mentioned above that your Darbee 5000 has handshake problem with it. What is the problem? No video signal pass through? Did you get with Darbee or Monoprice to resolve the problem?
Old 04-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwok lau View Post
I almost bought the Redmere HDMI cable (35 feet long) from Monoprice. You mentioned above that your Darbee 5000 has handshake problem with it. What is the problem? No video signal pass through? Did you get with Darbee or Monoprice to resolve the problem?
Yes, handshake issues, every time the source would change, even changing channels on my DVR would cause it, I'd actually have to unplug the cable to get it to correct.
I had the same issues with both these cables with my AVR too, definitely a cable issue, my cheap full sized cable works just fine.

My Build Thread:
Old 04-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have the 35' Redmere cable from Monoprice and it works without issue from my Oppo 103 to my Epson 3D projector. I have a separate hdmi cable going from my Yamaha AVR to the Darbee and it handles DishTV and my Cable box dvr. I use the Redmere directly from the Oppo to the Epson because the Oppo has two outputs (the second output is for sound only) and the Redmere sends the Marvel upscale chip to the projector - which they say is as good as it gets.

If you have handshake issues with the Darbee/Redmere chain be sure to check the signal flow direction. Redmere requires that the cable be positioned in such a way that the directional flow of the signal from source to Darbee/tv/projector be aligned properly. I believe the correct direction is indicated on both ends of the Redmere.

shortspark
Old 04-17-2015, 06:45 PM

Hi Atloff, thanks for your reply. Did you encounter any issue with 3D movie, using ordinary HDMI cable? Is you ordinary cable 1.4 or even older version?

milacqua , your input is valuable as well. Thank you. Any 3D movie issue without linking your darbee btw your oppo 103 (not 103 with Darbee application) directly to your Epson projector? Have you ever tried to link the Darbee for 3D movie?

I am considering to buy the Epson 5030UB projector or the Sony HW40ES. Just the price difference btw these 2 projectors is $500. Besides, the Epson is now in promotion, with a free lamp and 2 x 3d glasses. Most likely, Epson is the choice for price. Sony might cut throat soon to beat the price competition, I predict. If the price gap go closer, I will choose the Sony HW40ES.

Kwok
Old 04-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

No, I have not tried to hook up the Darbee directly to the Epson via Redmere, although I have done this through the Yamaha AVR using an older Monoprice 35' hdmi cable. Basically, I have the Redmere going directly from the Oppo to the Epson primarily for 3D. However, to tell you the truth, I really can't tell a difference between that and the Darbee going from the Yamaha AVR to the Epson.

They say that using the Oppo hdmi one output directly to the display is best because it uses the Marvel chip (which is suppose to be the best going). Oppo's hdmi two output uses some other upscaler which is very good but a step down from Marvel. By dedicating the hdmi one to video (via the Redmere) and hdmi two to audio, you reduce the interference to each which supposedly enhances both audio and video. My 66 year old eyes and ears really can't detect those subtleties but a younger person might. That is why I say it is virtually impossible for me to say that the Redmere direct to the projector is better than going through the Darbee to the projector.

Redmere cables get high ratings for virtually all applications, including 3D. If there is a handshake issue I have to believe it is the directional thing I spoke of earlier or perhaps a defected cable or connection.

shortspark
Old 04-17-2015, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Having switched to redmere cables a long time ago, I can say without equivocation that they are the absolute BEST for resolving/eliminating hdmi handshake issues. I have over 12 in my current system composed of marantz 7009, panny 8000, darbee darblet, roku 3, dune player, htpc, wd live, oppo 103d, directv receiver, samsung homesync, as well as my recently acquired chromebox to name a few. :-)
These same cables have been through 8 different receivers (maybe more) and work soooo much better than regular hdmi cables. That being said, without knowing the persons whole equipment chain nothing can be resolved...
Old 04-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwok lau View Post
Hi Atloff, thanks for your reply. Did you encounter any issue with 3D movie, using ordinary HDMI cable? Is you ordinary cable 1.4 or even older version?
I haven't had the chance to try the Darblet with a 3D movie yet, so far only through my DVR and Netflix through my BR player.
The cable to my Epson 2030 is just a cheap 50' 1.4 cable I got off of E-Bay, but that wasn't where my issue was anyway, my problem was between my AVR (Pioneer SC-1522-k) and the Darblet. I even tried to connect it in the reverse direction just to see if it was possibly marked incorrectly. That being said there is a good chance that it's the compatibility between the cable and my AVR, the reason I bought it in the first place was because of handshake issues between my DVR & AVR and it made that connection worse, plus I tried the Redmere and the regular Slim cable, neither were successful for either my original issue or the Darblet, so yes, I too am leaning toward my AVR as being the culprit, the cable I'm actually using with no issues so far is nothing more than a 12' cheapo I got from Harbor Freight for $12.00 just because I needed something quick one day.

My Build Thread:
Old 04-18-2015, 07:39 AM

Thank for advice, Altloff.
Have a nice weekend.
Kwok
Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Had the chance to experiment with BR's & 3D-BR's over the weekend. The 3D's were X-Men Days of Future Past and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, the Darblet handled these well, no issues and about the same level improvement as with my DirecTV. Same with regular BR's, probably the most surprising was Oblivion, this was by far the best looking picture I had ever had with my setup, and the Darblet even managed to improve on it slightly, absolutely worth the price of admission....
HD at 45-55% seems to be the overall best level, but I have noticed that some DirecTV channels are actually better with Full Pop.

Still waiting to try DVD's and most all my LD's, but at this time I don't expect to be disappointed at all.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 04-20-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Had the chance to experiment with BR's & 3D-BR's over the weekend. The 3D's were X-Men Days of Future Past and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, the Darblet handled these well, no issues and about the same level improvement as with my DirecTV. Same with regular BR's, probably the most surprising was Oblivion, this was by far the best looking picture I had ever had with my setup, and the Darblet even managed to improve on it slightly, absolutely worth the price of admission....
HD at 45-55% seems to be the overall best level, but I have noticed that some DirecTV channels are actually better with Full Pop.

Still waiting to try DVD's and most all my LD's, but at this time I don't expect to be disappointed at all.
Nice to see you appreciate its assisting attributes as many of us have found.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:48 AM

Liked: 11
Happy Darblet owner here and have 2 things I wanted to post about.

1. Recently I was doing some cable management and as I went to unplug my Darblet PS just feel apart. I contacted Darbeevision (Tom) and they sell replacements. It appears the PS they sell is a little nicer then the one I originally got with my unit, and after I sent a picture of the broken unit, Tom was nice enough to send a new one free of charge. Really nice since my unit is long past it's warranty.

2. Has anyone had any issues with their unit and PS3 when streaming? I run PS3>AVR>Darblet>TV and I get quick flashes of snow when ever I use a streaming service (Netflix, HBO GO). Doesn't happen while playing games, BR/DVD, or general TV viewing. Tom said it might be something in the PS3 settings but wasn't sure .
Old 04-25-2015, 10:48 AM

Happy Darblet owner here and have 2 things I wanted to post about.

1. Recently I was doing some cable management and as I went to unplug my Darblet PS just feel apart. I contacted Darbeevision (Tom) and they sell replacements. It appears the PS they sell is a little nicer then the one I originally got with my unit, and after I sent a picture of the broken unit, Tom was nice enough to send a new one free of charge. Really nice since my unit is long past it's warranty.

2. Has anyone had any issues with their unit and PS3 when streaming? I run PS3>AVR>Darblet>TV and I get quick flashes of snow when ever I use a streaming service (Netflix, HBO GO). Doesn't happen while playing games, BR/DVD, or general TV viewing. Tom said it might be something in the PS3 settings but wasn't sure .
Old 04-26-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorz View Post

If the PS3 video setting is currently 1080p try setting the resolution to 720p or 1080i. If the problem goes away then it's likely the HDMI cable.

You can also try disabling Deep Color on the PS3.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Last edited by Mr.G; 04-26-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Decreasing bitrate output on PS3...
Old 04-28-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sorry if this has been discussed (haven't been in the thread in a while and it's HUGE!) ... but is there a 'best practice' in terms of what order to power up devices when a Darblet is in the signal chain?

I am using a Harmony, and routinely have HDMI handshake issues when turning on my system. It seems the Darbie is the culprit. My work around is to manually switch to another HDMI input on my DVDO Edge once everything has been up and running for a bit, then switch back to my main source. Usually after that I'm good, but I'd obviously love to set up a proper activity that has the correct order (and delays if necessary) to get the system to start up correctly right off that bat.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I always start with powering on the display first and then the components. (blu, receiver, etc) The darbess is always on. I don't encounter HDMI handshake issues when I turn the display on first.
Raistlin_HT likes this.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed (haven't been in the thread in a while and it's HUGE!) ... but is there a 'best practice' in terms of what order to power up devices when a Darblet is in the signal chain?

I am using a Harmony, and routinely have HDMI handshake issues when turning on my system. It seems the Darbie is the culprit. My work around is to manually switch to another HDMI input on my DVDO Edge once everything has been up and running for a bit, then switch back to my main source. Usually after that I'm good, but I'd obviously love to set up a proper activity that has the correct order (and delays if necessary) to get the system to start up correctly right off that bat.
For me it doesn't matter what order I power up my devices with both my Darblets. Any order works. And I'm using multiple HDMI switches in both my Darblet setups between 32+ devices. With some HDMI switches cascaded.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 04-29-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
May I ask if any one used Darbee vision with KURO ELITE PLASMA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use it on my 60" Elite Plasma (professionally calibrated) and I like the detail it adds.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post
... is there a 'best practice' in terms of what order to power up devices when a Darblet is in the signal chain? I am using a Harmony, and routinely have HDMI handshake issues when turning on my system. It seems the Darbie is the culprit. My work around is to manually switch to another HDMI input on my DVDO Edge once everything has been up and running for a bit, then switch back to my main source. Usually after that I'm good ...
Bachelor is right, powering on devices starting with the display, and then working backwards until you reach your source, gives you the best chance to successfully complete EDID handshakes at each step.

You can also use your Harmony to incorporate delays into each step in the power on sequence, thus giving additional time for each device to be fully operational, and maximizing the chance of correctly completing each set of handshakes.

The other advice routinely offered for Darblet users with handshake issues includes (1) checking for a snug, clean fit on each HDMI connection, (2) using only high speed HDMI cables, (3) using Redmere cables for HDMI runs longer than six feet, (4) avoiding stand-alone switches and splitters, (5) turning off Deep Color settings on all devices, and (6) setting all devices to explicit input and output settings, rather than relying on "auto" settings.

Additionally, some users have reported success by changing *where* in the chain the Darblet is placed. It is most often placed directly after source; however, some users have reported good handshake performance only after placing the Darblet at the end of their chain, immediately before the display.

No doubt aaronWT accurately reports his experience with dozens of devices and cascaded HDMI switches, but his experience is as atypical as it is fortunate. Each combination of equipment behaves differently, and users with relatively simple set-ups can still experience handshake issues, as you have. For them, it takes a little effort to achieve a stable video chain ... which is precisely why you asked.

Fortunately, the Darblet is worth the effort. Hope that helps. Good luck!
Raistlin_HT likes this.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
I always start with powering on the display first and then the components. (blu, receiver, etc) The darbess is always on. I don't encounter HDMI handshake issues when I turn the display on first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Bachelor is right, powering on devices starting with the display, and then working backwards until you reach your source, gives you the best chance to successfully complete EDID handshakes at each step.

You can also use your Harmony to incorporate delays into each step in the power on sequence, thus giving additional time for each device to be fully operational, and maximizing the chance of correctly completing each set of handshakes.

The other advice routinely offered for Darblet users with handshake issues includes (1) checking for a snug, clean fit on each HDMI connection, (2) using only high speed HDMI cables, (3) using Redmere cables for HDMI runs longer than six feet, (4) avoiding stand-alone switches and splitters, (5) turning off Deep Color settings on all devices, and (6) setting all devices to explicit input and output settings, rather than relying on "auto" settings.

Additionally, some users have reported success by changing *where* in the chain the Darblet is placed. It is most often placed directly after source; however, some users have reported good handshake performance only after placing the Darblet at the end of their chain, immediately before the display.

No doubt aaronWT accurately reports his experience with dozens of devices and cascaded HDMI switches, but his experience is as atypical as it is fortunate. Each combination of equipment behaves differently, and users with relatively simple set-ups can still experience handshake issues, as you have. For them, it takes a little effort to achieve a stable video chain ... which is precisely why you asked.

Fortunately, the Darblet is worth the effort. Hope that helps. Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendations!

For reference, I do turn on the display first and do have the Darbee as the last part of the video signal chain (it's connected to the A+V HDMI output of my DVDO Edge). However the power on order of everything beyond the TV is pretty much random. I'll mess around with reseating cables, the power order, and some delays and report back with my results.

And yes, the Darblet is definitely worth the effort!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
For me it doesn't matter what order I power up my devices with both my Darblets. Any order works. And I'm using multiple HDMI switches in both my Darblet setups between 32+ devices. With some HDMI switches cascaded.
Lucky you
Old 04-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

I first turn on my DishTV receiver which goes via hdmi to the Yamaha AVR. I also have a cable box (always on) and Oppo DVD player going to the Yamaha. Then the Yamaha is turned on and I wait a couple seconds to make sure it is reading the Dish signal, or the Oppo signal, whichever I am playing. From the Yamaha I have an hdmi cable going out to the Darbee (which is always on). Finally, the last thing to be turned on is my Epson projector. All I can say is so far, so good.

shortspark
Old Today, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

So I think I found the issue. I recently upgraded my TV to a Samsung 60F8500 (plasma) from a Sony 60A3000 (SXRD), and apparently my DVDO Edge was set to Auto for Deep Color output.

So I guess either my prior TV maxed out at 30-bit Deep Color, or I had it locked to 30-bit and it reset to Auto when I hooked up my new TV. I think it was the latter (pretty sure the Sony went to 36-bit). Regardless, it was outputting 36-bit to the Samsung.

I dropped it to 30-bit and this far, no sync issues.

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor