Darbee vision darblet - Page 292 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 118Likes

post #8731 of 8742 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Sorry. That is just wrong. The Darbee will accept any resolution 108p 60 and below. It actually works best if applied to a lower resolution and I feed it native 480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p 24, 30 and go. It is not a scalar and will not upscale anything. It won't pass higher resolutions. However after application to you accepted resolution, you can use a down stream scalar such as a 4K out Lumagen or the one in your 4K projector or panel. No problem and it improves things, the more the lower the native signal is.
So the only thing I said that was "wrong" was the omission of "up to 1080" which I thought was pretty obvious.

I guess I never asked if he was sending his SNES through the Darbee, but we all know he's inputting/outputting 1080.
muffinmcfluffin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 8742 Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked: 861
No big deal. It is important to note that all the darbee does to a signal is to bring up detail otherwise hidden because of a lack of definition between small contrast transitions. Very valuable what it does and nice that it doesn't change anything else. What ever resolution, number of bits, yada yada, tht goes in, comes out.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #8733 of 8742 Old Today, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
No big deal. It is important to note that all the darbee does to a signal is to bring up detail otherwise hidden because of a lack of definition between small contrast transitions. Very valuable what it does and nice that it doesn't change anything else. What ever resolution, number of bits, yada yada, tht goes in, comes out.
Its all good.

I was certain I was going to return my Darbee. Lots of snake-oil in the entire 'adder device' market. At first I wasn't seeing much benefit but then I left it on and forgot about it. Now I think it looks pretty bad without it.
post #8734 of 8742 Old Today, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Here's a general question to all:

Now that you've owned the Darbee for quite a while, how much do you use it? As much as you figured you would? More? Less?

(I had the original Darblet but it caused havoc with my system. When I purchased the Lumagen VP with darbee processing, I happily got rid of the Darblet).

Me, I rarely use the Darbee processing. The reason is mostly because I found the Darbee to impose a distinct signature look upon the image, which makes me aware the image has been altered and processed. Thus the more I turn it up to make an appreciable difference in clarity/dimensionality, the more processed the image looks, the more I turn it down the less processed it looks, but the less effect, and worth, the Darbee seems to have. If I put it on it tends to be at around 15 or so. But, again, I rarely use it these days.

I'm curious if others have similar or very different experience.
post #8735 of 8742 Old Today, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I leave mine on all the time at 43% and don't notice that things look too processed or that they look unprocessed, it's the sweet spot for my current setup (I was debating between 45 and 40 when I set it up initially and slowly took a look at single digits to get a feel for the right spot - not unprocessed but not overly processed). I also like the clarity effect that it gives.

But I think that's why YMMV even exists as an acronym.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, PS4, with Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM55 for surrounds.
post #8736 of 8742 Old Today, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any body using the Darbee Darblet 5000 with Sony VPL-HW40ES projector? How is the difference with and without it? What is the number being set up?
Tks.
post #8737 of 8742 Old Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I leave mine on all the time at 43% and don't notice that things look too processed or that they look unprocessed, it's the sweet spot for my current setup (I was debating between 45 and 40 when I set it up initially and slowly took a look at single digits to get a feel for the right spot - not unprocessed but not overly processed). I also like the clarity effect that it gives.

But I think that's why YMMV even exists as an acronym.
43% !!! Holy cow! Yup, YMMV certainly applies to these devices.

BTW, do you use it with a flat panel or projector? I use a projector and perhaps that makes the effect more visible.
post #8738 of 8742 Old Today, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
43% !!! Holy cow! Yup, YMMV certainly applies to these devices.

BTW, do you use it with a flat panel or projector? I use a projector and perhaps that makes the effect more visible.
I use it with my W1070 1080P DLP projector on an 82" screen. I was watching HP4 at 45% and was thinking to myself that it just looked too processed, so I switched it to 40% and I left it like that for a few minutes, but really felt like it didn't look good. I switched it to Game mode and switched it back almost immediately. I then inched up from 40 to 41 to 42 to 43 to 44, decided that 44 was a little too much and dropped one notch to 43. I've left it there and had no complaints. I think things look noticeably sharp, but not over processed.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, PS4, with Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM55 for surrounds.
post #8739 of 8742 Old Today, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I leave it on all the time on my Sony vw95es projector with 106 inch screen. Forget what strength, semi-low maybe 25. I never change it or turn it off.
One time it turned off, maybe after a power failure. The picture didn't look as good, and that's when I discovered it wasn't on, and turned it back on. That proved to me that it's worth leaving on. I think some of the recent projectors have some settings that may resemble Darblet processing, in which case I might try that instead.
post #8740 of 8742 Old Today, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Me, I rarely use the Darbee processing. The reason is mostly because I found the Darbee to impose a distinct signature look upon the image, which makes me aware the image has been altered and processed. Thus the more I turn it up to make an appreciable difference in clarity/dimensionality, the more processed the image looks, the more I turn it down the less processed it looks, but the less effect, and worth, the Darbee seems to have. If I put it on it tends to be at around 15 or so. But, again, I rarely use it these days.
There is a very simple fix for this, which is to leave the unit on for a few weeks until you finally stop obsessively scrutinizing every pixel in the image, and flipping the processing on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off trying to detect what it does. Eventually, you'll get over that and just watch what you want to watch, until you forget that the Darbee is even on at all, except that it makes everything look a little bit better.

15% is very low, almost at the verge of not being discernible at all. If your tolerance for any incremental change to what you expect is a "pure" picture is that small, you should probably not be using Darbee.

Every display interacts with the processing differently, but 30% to 40% is typically a safe zone. If you set it for 30% and are aghast that your picture is no longer pure... well, again, leave it like that for a few weeks and see if you still feel that way. Odds are, you probably won't.
dsinger and |Tch0rT| like this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8741 of 8742 Old Today, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had not used my Darbee Deblet 5000 for months, with power switch complete off. I tried to power it up this afternoon. A green light flashed once inside the case and death. There is no reset button. I had pushed all the buttons, but no reaction. It is death. Sent a email to Darbee Vision and awaiting their advice. What a bad day.
post #8742 of 8742 Old Today, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Ive had one for years set at Gaming 53 which I guess is kind of high compared to others but it gives me a great picture on my Samsung 8500 LED.Wonder what it will be like when I use it on a 65 OLEd which is a future purchase?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page