Darbee vision darblet - Page 294 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 133Likes
post #8791 of 8833 Old 07-29-2015, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes, I bought online from SolidSignal.com in Year 2013 Dec. My setting is 70 with Sony VPL-HW40ES. Improvement is not extremely obvious, but you can see the difference from "on" and "off" comparison. I had my Darbee tested by Darbee Vision, as mentioned in my earlier emails. They did not charge me for the replacement of the AC power adaptor, nor the return shipping charge. Solidsignal is Darbee authorized dealer,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 8833 Old 07-29-2015, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 19
@kwok lau ; @BumForALiving ; @|Tch0rT|

Thank you all.

I saw in some post either in amazon reviews or here that someone noticed a lot of difference when using this and were gaming... does anyone of you had any experience with gaming console and using darbee and not using darbee to compare ?

I do a lot of gaming and this is one of the reasons I am thinking to get it..

TIA
post #8793 of 8833 Old 07-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 90
This will probably sound odd to those who don't have a Darbee but it's more of a device you notice when it's not on than when it's on. It does the same thing it does for movies with games. I can run a PS3, Wii U, and PC through mine.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #8794 of 8833 Old 07-30-2015, 06:15 AM

In my opinion, adding the Darbee 5000 to Sony 40ES is just adding sugar powder on top of a cream cake. The performance of the Sony is good enough. I have to boom up the Darbee to 70 setting to see the difference.
For gaming, the action is so fast to respond and to follow. You are too busy with your joy stick and don't have time to enjoy the contrast/color enhancement. If you have the money to spare, why not. It is good for movie viewing though.

Last edited by kwok lau; 08-02-2015 at 10:38 AM.
post #8795 of 8833 Old 07-30-2015, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwok lau View Post
In my opinion, adding the Darbee 5000 to Sony 40ES is just adding sugar powder on top of a cream cake. The performance of the Sony is good enough. I have to boom up the Darbee to 70 setting to see the difference.
70? Wow. That's pretty high. On my Epson 5030UB, even with its Super Resolution set to 1, I have the Darbee at 50. Any higher and I start getting artifacts. Most people in this thread set theirs between 30 and 55, generally. If you have to crank the Darbee to 70 to see any difference, then that suggests to me that the Sony 40ES isn't that sharp to begin with.
kwok lau likes this.
post #8796 of 8833 Old 07-30-2015, 04:07 PM

Again, it is just personal preference. 70 setting give me more details on wide scene and artifice on close up. Give or take. I am still testing and might go back btw 40 to 50 range later.
post #8797 of 8833 Old 07-31-2015, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
@kwok lau ; @BumForALiving ; @|Tch0rT|

Thank you all.

I saw in some post either in amazon reviews or here that someone noticed a lot of difference when using this and were gaming... does anyone of you had any experience with gaming console and using darbee and not using darbee to compare ?

I do a lot of gaming and this is one of the reasons I am thinking to get it..

TIA
Arrived today, quick shipping. Have an Xbox one + Epson 3020 fine tuned for color and focus. Picture looks amazing on it's own but the Darby makes a nice difference. I've used the 3020's built in Supper Resolution which has some of the same effect but very minor in comparison. I can see textures with MUCH more detail and pop in game (tested with Destiny) that were barely noticeable before. Other biggest difference to me is it looks like the Claritin commercial where a "haze" is removed from the display when on.
fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #8798 of 8833 Old 08-02-2015, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Again, it is just personal preference. 70 setting give me more details on wide scene and artifice on close up. Give or take. I am still testing and might go back btw 40 to 50 range later.
The bolded above! As with audio, this ALL boils down to personal preference. I just bought a another Darbee to play with with my other Darbee AND my Darbee enabled Oppo. I have great satisfaction with my current double darbee set up for blu ray and vudu. The 103D is set at 40 HD and the 5000 is set at 50(ish) HD. If you think this would be like having one darbee set at 90%, you would be dead wrong. At 90% on one Darbee I see all sorts of crazy distracting things, but with my set up I love it. I bought Mark's rackmount one to clean up my rack, but will definitely be having a threesome to start!
kwok lau likes this.
post #8799 of 8833 Old 08-02-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
The bolded above! As with audio, this ALL boils down to personal preference. I just bought a another Darbee to play with with my other Darbee AND my Darbee enabled Oppo. I have great satisfaction with my current double darbee set up for blu ray and vudu. The 103D is set at 40 HD and the 5000 is set at 50(ish) HD. If you think this would be like having one darbee set at 90%, you would be dead wrong. At 90% on one Darbee I see all sorts of crazy distracting things, but with my set up I love it. I bought Mark's rackmount one to clean up my rack, but will definitely be having a threesome to start!
Hey, you can turn your color controls to max, and put all your speakers in another room if that's your personal preference.
post #8800 of 8833 Old 08-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Yeah, appears to me that 50 setting on Darbee produces more life looking on screen but not obvious. Have to switch "on"and "off" to confirm the Darbee 5000 is working. 70 is a bit high setting but gives you a pop when start viewing and then the eye will get use to it.
I might stay on 60 setting for a while. Again, my linkage is Samsung BD-J7500ZA 3d blue ray player to Darbee 5000 to Sony VPL-HW40ES 3d projector. Direct video path connection. I use my AV processor and power amp for the audio.
Obviously, the Contract and black level of the Samsung player and the Sony projector are super and leave very little gap for the Darbee 5000 to improve these area. Wonder if add one more Darbee in series could further improve, as Mecmec did. Happy testing.

Kwok

Last edited by kwok lau; 08-02-2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: wrong typo correction
post #8801 of 8833 Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 AM

I had the Darbee 5000 linked with Oppo 85 directly to my former Panasonic 2000. The 45 setting was used and noticed the improvement. Did not need to "on" and "off" the darbee to confirm whether it was working or not. This proves a higher setting is necessary if your source and display devices have super performance on contrast and black level.
Direct connection, without routing through AV processor or AV receiver also make the picture sharper and clearer. This is my experience.
post #8802 of 8833 Old 08-02-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
70? Wow. That's pretty high. On my Epson 5030UB, even with its Super Resolution set to 1, I have the Darbee at 50. Any higher and I start getting artifacts. Most people in this thread set theirs between 30 and 55, generally. If you have to crank the Darbee to 70 to see any difference, then that suggests to me that the Sony 40ES isn't that sharp to begin with.
-------
Kilgore, the Sony 40ES is sharp. That's why need higher setting to see the different. I had my darbee 5000 linked between Oppo 85 blue ray player and the Panasonic PTA-2000U, at 45 setting. Un-natural looking of close up scene shows up if go higher setting.
post #8803 of 8833 Old 08-02-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
-------
Kilgore, the Sony 40ES is sharp. That's why need higher setting to see the different. I had my darbee 5000 linked between Oppo 85 blue ray player and the Panasonic PTA-2000U, at 45 setting. Un-natural looking of close up scene shows up if go higher setting.
I think you have that backwards. The sharper your display, the less Darbee effect you would need before you start seeing too many artifacts. BTW, do you have your Sony's Reality Creation on as well?
post #8804 of 8833 Old 08-03-2015, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
semi OT: has anyone compared Darbee VS Splash Pro in terms of PQ ?
post #8805 of 8833 Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 AM

Kilgore, Thank for you reply. In my opinion, when the performance of the disc player and projector is equal to 50, we will not see improvement (enhancement) if we set the Darbee at 50. Raise setting higher then 50, then will see improvement. If the source and displace performance is equal to 70 Darbee setting, we do not see any difference if the setting stay at 70 or lower. We have to set the Darbee higher than 70. In my case, I only see enhancement at about 70. That means my Samsung disc player and Sony 40ES do not need the Darbee enhancement at the setting range between zero to <70. The performance (clearity, sharpness, contrast, black level) of the Samsung and Sony are great. Must better than the Oppo 85 disc player & Panasonic PTA-2000U being replaced by the Samsung and Sony.
Another example - When a car (i.e. the Sony performance matches Darbee setting) is at 50 miles per hour ( i.e. Darbee setting at 50), the car (Sony) won't increase its speed (i.e. won't see enhancement on screen) when hold the accelerator paddle at 50 MPH ( i.e. because the Sony's video quality is same as the Darbee setting). If the car (Sony) is already at 70 miles per hour (i.e. when Sony's video quality on screen matches Darbee 70 setting), we have to press the accelerator paddle further down to increase speed (i.e. have to raise the Darbee setting greater than 70 to see enhancement). That's why I said the Sony's sharpness is supper (just the opposite of your comment). Hope I can explain better to you this time.
Yes, I turned on the default Sony's Reality Creation. Since I have a 1.4 gain 120 inches diagonal Carada Brillian white screen, I have to reduce the Brightness from 50 to 45. The contract from 90 down to70. These reduction apply to Cinema 1, 2, Reference and user Presets.

Last edited by kwok lau; 08-03-2015 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Clarify the comment further
post #8806 of 8833 Old 08-03-2015, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumForALiving View Post
Been waiting to find a deal new myself, just bought here on sale for $153.99, free shipping and no tax:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=DARBLET
ordered from Solidsignal once i saw your post. thinking of ordering another to not miss out on the sales price......
bsuave likes this.
post #8807 of 8833 Old 08-03-2015, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post
ordered from Solidsignal once i saw your post. thinking of ordering another to not miss out on the sales price......
just saw it too....Ordered mine just now!!!

BTW:

You HAVE to add to cart to get the discounted price of $153.99

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview2.as...ZppBoCZG7w_wcB

-Brion
post #8808 of 8833 Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuave View Post
just saw it too....Ordered mine just now!!!

BTW:

You HAVE to add to cart to get the discounted price of $153.99

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview2.as...ZppBoCZG7w_wcB

-Brion
I pulled the trigger and ordered another 3. Had to chat on-line with a sales person as the price in the cart went back to $199.99. Got the sales price for $153.99 again.
post #8809 of 8833 Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM

Arghhhhhhh, just bought a rack mount edition for quite a bit more. ..
post #8810 of 8833 Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thanks for the head's up on the sale. Solid Signal is Solid.
We have had one in our front projector set up for years. It makes a noticible difference on our 110" HP screen.
So, I ordered a second one (on sale) to use with our 65" Panasonic VT series Plasma.
I hooked it up yesterday and I must admit to being underwhelmed...At HD55% I could see almost no improvement.
I was afraid to crank it up more than that, but I'll fool around with it and see if it's worth keeping in the chain.
The Plasma picture is already so sharp and the smaller flatscreen display condenses the pixels so much that the Darbee effect is minimized.
Over the years, I have championed the Darbee for it's dramatic impact on our FP. Now I can see the other side of the fence...
Is there anyone out there with a 65"Panasonic plasma? If so, what Darbee settings do you use?
post #8811 of 8833 Old 08-06-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
We have had one in our front projector set up for years. It makes a noticible difference on our 110" HP screen.
So, I ordered a second one (on sale) to use with our 65" Panasonic VT series Plasma.
I hooked it up yesterday and I must admit to being underwhelmed...At HD55% I could see almost no improvement.
I was afraid to crank it up more than that, but I'll fool around with it and see if it's worth keeping in the chain.
The Plasma picture is already so sharp and the smaller flatscreen display condenses the pixels so much that the Darbee effect is minimized.
Over the years, I have championed the Darbee for it's dramatic impact on our FP. Now I can see the other side of the fence...
Is there anyone out there with a 65"Panasonic plasma? If so, what Darbee settings do you use?
I installed a darbee on a top of line pioneer elite plasma.
And darbee made a nice difference.

We used HD mode at 70%
post #8812 of 8833 Old 08-06-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you.

Love my Darbee with my Panasonic projector. Just bought another Darbee for my 65" Panasonic Plasma while it was a good deal. Hoping I'll see some improvement.
post #8813 of 8833 Old 08-06-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Why are you afraid to "crank it up"? Possible tear in the space time continuum?
post #8814 of 8833 Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
Why are you afraid to "crank it up"? Possible tear in the space time continuum?
Good question. The Darbee is in a different room then the plasma (long story). For some reason the remote control extender does not work with this device (for me). I had to keep running from room to room while I changed it, then back again. I got up to 55%, then had to stop. This level is a clear (display humor) improvement on the FP screen. I was disappointed to see almost no impact on the 65" plasma.
I'll clear some time (for the room to room track meet) and crank it way up. I'll post back if there is a noticeable impact in PQ.
Anybody else with a large plasma and a Darbee?
post #8815 of 8833 Old 08-06-2015, 01:03 PM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
From all the reading I have been doing on this unit I have gotten a tad confused (sorry).

My equipment is in a closet, projector on the ceiling. There is a 35 foot HDMI cable going from the receiver in the closet to the projector.

Am I reading right that I should place this at the end of the 35 foot cable near the projector and use a short cable from the Darbee to the projector input?

OR can I just do the reverse and put this in the closet after the receiver with a short cable and connect the 35 footer to the Darbee then to the projector?

TIA

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #8816 of 8833 Old 08-06-2015, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Using a 65 VT60 with darbee in my oppo103D and I like it. Don't want it to ruin the picture, just make a little effect to make the picture a notch better. For Oppo users many seem to like 35-40 as a set and forget setting and with that you don't get any artefacts. Myself been running 40-50 depending on the material. But if I would crank it to 60-70 my eyes would bleed from sharpness overload
post #8817 of 8833 Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I use a 5000 on my 65" Panasonic VT plasma and found that while the result is not super dramatic, it's still useful. I can definitely notice it when I toggle it off/on. I have it set to HD at 65%.
post #8818 of 8833 Old 08-06-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
My equipment is in a closet, projector on the ceiling. There is a 35 foot HDMI cable going from the receiver in the closet to the projector.

Am I reading right that I should place this at the end of the 35 foot cable near the projector and use a short cable from the Darbee to the projector input?

OR can I just do the reverse and put this in the closet after the receiver with a short cable and connect the 35 footer to the Darbee then to the projector?
The HDMI repeater in the Darblet is known to be pretty weak, and will probably not push a signal 35 feet. It would be better to put the Darblet after the long HDMI cable, then run a 6-foot HDMI cable to the projector. (Don't go less than 6-feet, because short HDMI cables can cause just as much trouble as long ones.)

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8819 of 8833 Old 08-06-2015, 03:27 PM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks for the info.

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #8820 of 8833 Old 08-07-2015, 09:16 AM

I am using a 40 feet long Redmere high speed active hdmi cable between the Darbee 50000 and my Sony HW40ES projector. It works fine. Just ensure do not run the hdmi cable along with a electric power line (cable), because you won't get signal passing through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor