27Likes

post #61 of 8121 Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassie View Post

I agree, I think everyone knows who Dr. Darbee is - I for one am glad he is here to provide more info - I think we are all smart enough to know the sales pitch from the real dope.

I think the fact that Larry is making himself accessible demonstrates a confidence in the product. He is not coming off as deceptive,most of the forum followers are not naive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8121 Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Liked: 12
How soon do these ship out once you order one?
Is it still 6-8 weeks mentioned on the Darbee website?
post #63 of 8121 Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Originally Posted by wmassie
"I agree, I think everyone knows who Dr. Darbee is - I for one am glad he is here to provide more info - I think we are all smart enough to know the sales pitch from the real dope."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg1 View Post

I think the fact that Larry is making himself accessible demonstrates a confidence in the product. He is not coming off as deceptive,most of the forum followers are not naive.

Thank you!
post #64 of 8121 Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by raneil View Post

Don't you think it would be more honest if you said who you are. You don't need to push your product on us.

I don't think he's trying to be deceptive. He has signed in here with the user name "DarbeeDr," and his posts have indicated that he's working with the company.

That said, it would be wise of him to add a signature to his posts that states his company affiliation in the UserCP/Settiings & Options/Edit Signature section of the forum.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #65 of 8121 Old 05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I got my Darblet yesterday but was unable to try it out until this afternoon.

So far I've watched about 20 minutes of the blu-ray of Batman Begins and a few minutes on Cox cable of The Power and the Glory showing on TCM, both the standard and HD channels.

Initial impressions are that the full pop mode causes hard edges and unnatural shadows that make that mode unuseable, at least for the limited amount of material I've looked at and daytime viewing (I have some light control but far from being able to make the room dark).

Hi def and gaming modes seem very similar, only small differences and I can't say I prefer one over the other at this point, will have to do more testing. My preliminary setting for both of these modes is 85% (can be changed in 5% increments from 0 to 120%, but changing one mode changes the other modes by the same amount), and would say I can see anywhere from 70% to 100% being most natural and effective. The improvesments are impressive at these levels. A very useful increase in sharpness and pop without causing unnatural artifacts.

I'm using a 6 year old 65732 Mitsu DLP that I'll be replacing later this summer with either a 65" Panasonic ST or GT50.

I'm using an Oppo 93 for DVDs and blu-rays. The Darblet makes a great addition to the Oppo and the Mitsu, helping extend the life of an aging TV. I haven't checked out Netflix steaming through the Oppo yet but feel confident the Darblet will be a major benefit.

Wouldn't it be nice if Oppo would add the Darbee visual presence technology to their next blu-ray player.

Overall I have to say the Darblet is highly recommended for the price. I've used other video processors that have done very similar enhancements (including the Razor) but they have all caused artifacts that make them rarely useful.

I'll be watching a lot more material over the next few days and report back here if I find anything noteworthy to add.
post #66 of 8121 Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Liked: 15
I am sorry to have tooted my own horn about our product on the forum and will not do so again.

My primary reason for joining the thread was to make clarifications. For example, there was a comment that referred to the "Demo Mode" as being a strong effect processing mode or strong processing level. This is an erroneous statement and might cause confusion.

Going forward I will only monitor for errors and answer questions if they are directed to me.

- DD
Larry Pace, COO
DarbeeVision Inc.
post #67 of 8121 Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmelkon View Post

You may inquire with one of our authorized dealers. AV Science is the preferred AD in this forum. Call them tomorrow and they will likely have a unit in your hands pretty quick, not 6-8 weeks.
post #68 of 8121 Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Not sure what this means; changes it how?

Processing Modes: HiDef, Gaming, Full Pop

Ways to rotate through/view the Processing Modes:
1. A/B - Darbee On/Off Button,
2. Split Screen - Demo Button 1 push (turns on Demo Split Screen)
3. Demo Wipe - Demo Button 2 pushes (turns on Demo Wipe)
(third push turns off Demo Mode)
- DD
post #69 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

I am sorry to have tooted my own horn about our product on the forum and will not do so again.

My primary reason for joining the thread was to make clarifications. For example, there was a comment that referred to the "Demo Mode" as being a strong effect processing mode or strong processing level. This is an erroneous statement and might cause confusion.

Going forward I will only monitor for errors and answer questions if they are directed to me.

- DD
Larry Pace, COO
DarbeeVision Inc.

Larry, will Amazon be an authorized dealer in the future?
post #70 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 04:18 AM

I got mine Darblet yesterday and it was so impressive
I can see a lots of improvment overall picture quality,did not have time to do a lot of testing
Larry I have one question
I have my Darblet plug in to a wall power outlet is it ok to leave it on at all time or I should turn it off with the off button when I am done watching movies
post #71 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Larry,

is there a chance that you guys could upload some demo videos ?

I did a number of scaler comparison videos in 1080p some time ago and they were highly appreciated in various reviews here on the AVS board and on other boards, so I think it's *the* way to go, if you want to market your Darblet to undecided buyers, who don't have the time or patience to test the unit on their own setup.

From the opinions here in the thread (and I feel that future reviews won't be much different), it's quite hard to get a proper idea of the Darblet's processing from these subjective impressions.

Nowdays everybody can play back 1080p MP4 or MKV files on their BD or network player and it's simply perfect to demo any image processing device.
mjmbond likes this.

post #72 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchow View Post

I can see a lots of improvment overall picture quality,did not have time to do a lot of testing
I have my Darblet plug in to a wall power outlet is it ok to leave it on at all time or I should turn it off with the off button when I am done watching movies

Good for you. Did the most improvement come from:
1. Sharpness or vibrancy (brightness) or color or contrast

and what kind of material were you watching?
post #73 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassie View Post

Larry, will Amazon be an authorized dealer in the future?

Sorry, I can't answer that question at this time.
post #74 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchow View Post

• The ON/OFF button on the Darblet's remote and on the unit itself, is not for power switching ON/OFF. It turns the Darbee Effect ON/OFF.
  • The way to turn the Darblet ON/OFF is to plug it in, or unplug it.
  • The Darblet runs "cool" and we designed it to be left ON all the time.

-DD
post #75 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

Larry,

is there a chance that you guys could upload some demo videos ?

I did a number of scaler comparison videos in 1080p some time ago and they were highly appreciated in various reviews here on the AVS board and on other boards, so I think it's *the* way to go, if you want to market your Darblet to undecided buyers, who don't have the time or patience to test the unit on their own setup.

From the opinions here in the thread (and I feel that future reviews won't be much different), it's quite hard to get a proper idea of the Darblet's processing from these subjective impressions.

Nowdays everybody can play back 1080p MP4 or MKV files on their BD or network player and it's simply perfect to demo any image processing device.

Thanks for your feedback, and I acknowledge that I have seen your question and request on the board for some time. You are right, we should have some high quality video available to grab from our website. We have acquired some very high quality video clips for the purposes you describe, and we plan to put them up soon. Making a universal setting for the video takes some thinking and feedback from this forum is quite useful in that regard. We are almost there and I am sure that everyone will be impressed when they download and view on their systems.
post #76 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmelkon View Post

Our shopping cart for direct purchase is now gone, and you may order your Darblet through our Authorized Dealer network. Click on the logo of any of our ADs and you will get sent directly to their site. If you don't see a way to order a Darblet on the Authorized Dealer website, please give them a call.

AV Science is the preferred Authorized Dealer in this forum.

-DD
post #77 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 406
As of today, they are in stock, ready to ship.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #78 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Any comments on how much of an improvement there is in 3D effect with 2D sources? Thanks
post #79 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 PM

did not have a lots of time to watch a whole movie,but I did watch some of Pearl harbor (bluray of cause),and a few other bluray movies
the contrast and sharpness are the most improved on my tv,I will watch more movies this week end and do some adjustment
Jackparker likes this.
post #80 of 8121 Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:

• The ON/OFF button on the Darblet's remote and on the unit itself, is not for power switching ON/OFF. It turns the Darbee Effect ON/OFF.
  • The way to turn the Darblet ON/OFF is to plug it in, or unplug it.
  • The Darblet runs "cool" and we designed it to be left ON all the time.

-DD

thank you Larry I will just leave it on
post #81 of 8121 Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I would be more anxious to test it out with DirecTV and sports. Mainly football. As an Eye-Candy Extremist (Mark's term) I would love it if it could sharpen the image.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #82 of 8121 Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I would be more anxious to test it out with DirecTV and sports. Mainly football. As an Eye-Candy Extremist (Mark's term) I would love it if it could sharpen the image.

I watched the Laker's game last night using the Darblet on Cox cable and the improvement in contrast and sharpness/detail is impressive. My preferred mode is hi def set at 80% and with that there was some ghosting in certain backgrounds; I needed to turn the Darblet down well below 50% to get rid of it, but whereas watching a movie on blu-ray I would find the ghosting objectionable, for watching sports it didn't bother me. I have however yet to find a blu-ray that didn't look great at 80%. I watched the final cut of Blade Runner last night and it's never looked better. Using gaming mode the contrast is increased and the image becomes slightly harsh at times, but overall also looks good at 80% for most material, including the Laker's game. The full pop mode almost always looks harsh and artificial too me but I did find it useful watching Castaway on Netflix streaming (the Nic Roeg film, not Tom hanks).
post #83 of 8121 Old 05-05-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I ordered one last week, before they switched to distributors. I got a Fedex email notification today (Saturday) that it was being shipped from California, so I guess the 6 week delay is over for now.

One question I have is about installation position in the video chain. I have a long hidden ceiling run of 50' of high quality HDMI 1.4a cable from the equipment room AVR to the projector. Any guesses on whether it would be best to connect the Darbee at the AVR via a short cable and then to the long 50' cable to the projector - vs - connect right at the projector at the end of the 50' cable and then a short connect directly to the projector? In other words, closer to the source or closer to the projector (based on the effect of the long cable).

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #84 of 8121 Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I ordered one last week, before they switched to distributors. I got a Fedex email notification today (Saturday) that it was being shipped from California, so I guess the 6 week delay is over for now.

One question I have is about installation position in the video chain. I have a long hidden ceiling run of 50' of high quality HDMI 1.4a cable from the equipment room AVR to the projector. Any guesses on whether it would be best to connect the Darbee at the AVR via a short cable and then to the long 50' cable to the projector - vs - connect right at the projector at the end of the 50' cable and then a short connect directly to the projector? In other words, closer to the source or closer to the projector (based on the effect of the long cable).

The Darblet appreciates the best signal and will not degrade the signal. So put it at the end closest to the source to give it the best chance of doing the most good. We have tested with long "active" cables that have built in signal processing for maintaining quality, and we are perfectly compatible.
-DD
post #85 of 8121 Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Darblet appreciates the best signal and will not degrade the signal. So put it at the end closest to the source to give it the best chance of doing the most good. We have tested with long "active" cables that have built in signal processing for maintaining quality, and we are perfectly compatible.
-DD

Thanks for that. Looking forward to trying it out.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #86 of 8121 Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 PM

Liked: 20
Hi Guys. Mine was shipped from AVS in webster to me on Friday. I hould get it Tuesday. I will post. I am going to Bradebton, Florida to visit alan on Thursday and will bring the darblet with me so we can see it work on Alan's HT. On Sat night my wife will flu down and we will be house hunting in Sarasota/Bradenton for a few days. Give me a call if you live in that area and want to hook up on friday or saturday. After that we will be looking at about 14 houses per day. I will post on the unit as soon as I get it. After alan's, i will ship it to Mike G on our sales team for his trial. going to get one to Joerod too. We have plenty in stock for immediate shipment. As usual you can order one and return it in compliance with our published return policies if you don't like it. All you will be out is round trip shipping. The price is $249 plus $20 shipping. We may also sell it through Amazon but the price there will be the same. $269 shipping included.

Speaking if Larry who I have known as well as Paul Darbee for several years, he is a straight shooter and a good guy. I worked long and hard with Larry in establishing AV Science as Darbee's preferred dealer for forum members. I saw the Darblet in prototype form about one year and nine months ago at the Cedia Expo in Atlanta. I really liked it then and have been waiting very patiently to get my hands on one. Back then I never suspected it would be so inexpensive. Just shows you good things happen to good people and I am good.
post #87 of 8121 Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:

- DD
Larry Pace, COO
DarbeeVision Inc.

I wouldn't worry about it Larry. Nothing you've said was over the top, and it's very meaningful to have someone here representing the product and keeping us up to date on accurate info.

Mine is in transit, and I am EXTREMELY excited to get it into my 3D chain, based on what I saw at the shows.

I will post pics.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with

The

The
post #88 of 8121 Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

I saw the Darblet in prototype form about one year and nine months ago at the Cedia Expo in Atlanta. I really liked it then and have been waiting very patiently to get my hands on one. Back then I never suspected it would be so inexpensive. Just shows you good things happen to good people and I am good.

LOL! And we're glad for it, Mark!

Yes, I remember the main unit that was demoed was going to go for over a grand, at that time. It's amazing that it is priced at this level, I think it will sell like hotcakes when people start understanding the difference it makes.

This is a product that really does do even better with a good quality source.

In "plain-speak", because it expands the perceived dynamic range and contrast, a higher quality source, like Bluray, has the extra dynamic info packed into it, so it can be "expanded" without showing ill-effects.

Similarly, the better contrast/color range your display device can show, then the more dramatic a difference you will be able to observe.

But even with lesser displays, the effect should still be great, as it moves the contrast range around for better perception, within the range that any device would already display. Almost no one can lose here.

It's a real secret weapon, I think.

Dying for mine to arrive tomorrow.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with

The

The
post #89 of 8121 Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just worked on a system with one of these today. I think many would find it to be a valuable product to use.

My observations are here. http://homecinemaguru.com/?p=1909

W. Jeff Meier

post #90 of 8121 Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

I've now had a chance to use the Darblet on my bedroom display, a Panasonic 42" S1 plasma, and I like the effect of the Darblet even better than on my 65" Mitsu DLP. The improvement is even greater on a higher quality display. I can't wait to try this on the 2012 Panasonic plasma (65" ST50 or GT) I plan on getting in a few months.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page