Darbee vision darblet - Page 319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 275Likes

Old 06-09-2017, 02:36 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7293 Post(s)
Liked: 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
The one that I got from Darbee was a Phihong PSAC12R-050 with an output of 2.0 Amps (10 Watts) I could be wrong, but if the P/S does not have enough output, the Darbee could be unstable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I got my Phihong PSAC12R-050. I made the incorrect assumption the Plug adapters that came with the Darbee would work on the Phihong wall wart....they do not. I had to make a second purchase for North American plug adapter.

The second issue with the Phihong PSAC12R-050 is the "prong" that inserts into the Darbee is the wrong size. I have the universal wall wart that came with other size barrel prongs, which I think I can just insert on the existing prong and use (like the universal wall wart)?

My fear is after investing a little over $30, the darbee still won't work.

Ron
I don't get it. How can calentz say he received and is using the Phihong PSAC12R-050, and then you say it doesn't work for you? I ordered two of these, and didn't order a "North American" plug. Am I going to receive two without any plugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
I got my Phihong PSAC12R-050. I made the incorrect assumption the Plug adapters that came with the Darbee would work on the Phihong wall wart....they do not. I had to make a second purchase for North American plug adapter.

The second issue with the Phihong PSAC12R-050 is the "prong" that inserts into the Darbee is the wrong size. I have the universal wall wart that came with other size barrel prongs, which I think I can just insert on the existing prong and use (like the universal wall wart)?

My fear is after investing a little over $30, the darbee still won't work.

Ron
Ron, I got this one off big river and worked well for over a year before I stopped using my Darbee cuz it doesn't support 4K. Maybe return all that stuff and try this for a few bucks...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rboster likes this.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I am sorry that you are having problems. All I know is that the P/S I received just worked.

--Carl

Old 06-10-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I would say that there is more to the Darbee resets than just a poor performing power supply....although, I believe it is a big part of the equation, as in the couple times in the past that my Darbee started to do the factory default reset, replacing the power supply seemed to cure it.

But..... I also had my Darbee reset itself recently... .even with the new power supply. In this case though, I was in the middle of troubleshooting a defective WD live streaming device. My Darbee is on the main HDMI output for my Denon receiver, inline with my projector. But, during my testing, I was using my secondary Denon HDMI output connected to a small monitor. As such, during the testing which consisted of booting and rebooting the streaming device many times, the Denon was constantly re-handshaking not only the HDMI input for the WD live, but both its video outputs... one of which has my Darbee.

After finishing my troubleshooting, I noticed that my Darbee had that "all lit up look" of a factory reset. Sure enough, it had. But, ever since then, it has been flawless again. I fully believe something in the numerous funky HDMI handshaking that was going on prompted this latest reset. Something to do with a voltage or signal change/drop at a certain time just seems to trick the Darbee into thinking that there has been a command to do a Factory Reset I believe.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I agree,Ive owned my darbee for years and every six months or so it resets.Its just not very well put together but hopefully the 4K version will change all this
cdnscg likes this.

Matt
Old 06-11-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
I am sorry that you are having problems. All I know is that the P/S I received just worked.
No worries. I appreciate the suggestion. In my case, the wall wart could have been gold plated and sprinkled with magic dust and it wouldn't revive my DOA darbee unit. I got the correct blades for the wall wart. I plugged the wall wart in and nothing from the darbee...no lights etc. I'll need to call them tomorrow to see what they can do with my 6 month old unit (thankfully, I bought it directly from them).

Ron

FS: HDBaseT HDMI Cable extender Kit (up to 100 ft) for $75 : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post52653465//

FS: OPPO UDP-203 UHD/Dolby Vision Blu Ray Player: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...ay-player.html
Old 06-13-2017, 05:23 AM

Happy to report a quick response from Darbee Vision in getting my unit in for repair. I'll keep the thread updated on the results.

Ron

FS: HDBaseT HDMI Cable extender Kit (up to 100 ft) for $75 : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post52653465//

FS: OPPO UDP-203 UHD/Dolby Vision Blu Ray Player: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...ay-player.html
Old 06-15-2017, 05:56 PM
** Man of Leisure **

I have received and installed the 5v Phihong PSAC12R power adapter, purchased from TRC Electronics. The link is included below. If you order this part, please make sure to include the "North American AC Plug" (an additional $1), which is not included in the base adapter. So far, the adapter is working fine. Time will tell whether it eliminates the occasional reset to factory defaults.

https://www.trcelectronics.com/View/...C12R-050.shtml
rboster likes this.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:51 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Two days into using the new power supply, my Darblet reset itself to factory defaults. It happened just as the signal path was undergoing an HDMI handshake. So much for the power supply theory.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Gonzalez View Post
Remember Larry, I get mine first because I ordered first. LOL
I saw this in person at CES and I am very excited about it. You could really see the difference on a small lcd tv so I cant wait to see what its going to do for the image on my projector and 120" screen. Its going to look like I upgraded my projector.
Hi Mark,
I was the second person purchasing Darblet in CES 2012 (I was there with my wife).
I had it repaired, it worked fine for a couple of days but it stopped working again.
I think it is time to buy a 5000S and trash my 5000. The new one has a better look also. I use it on my OLED TV.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
Hi Mark,
I was the second person purchasing Darblet in CES 2012 (I was there with my wife).
I had it repaired, it worked fine for a couple of days but it stopped working again.
I think it is time to buy a 5000S and trash my 5000. The new one has a better look also. I use it on my OLED TV.
Good luck finding one. If you locate a supplier that has the 5000s in stock, let us know please. You are aware that a new version supporting 4K is on the horizon?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Good luck finding one. If you locate a supplier that has the 5000s in stock, let us know please. You are aware that a new version supporting 4K is on the horizon?
I use Darblet for my DirecTV only which is mostly 1080i.
I have my BD Player (Oppo-103) directly connected to the TV. A new 4K upscaler (which is embedded in a HDMI cable) is coming out by the end of the month from marseilleinc.com. It is called Cinema Edition which is the third generation of the Marseille chip. I'd like to test that cable since they fixed all the bugs (I talked to the CEO of the company and he confirmed all the bugs were fixed in the new Gen).

http://www.marseilleinc.com/marseill...inema-edition/

The CEO advised me to use it without Darblet for the best results.
The only 4K contents I watch are from Netflix and Amazon which are streaming programs to my TV, so a 4K Darblet cannot help me with those programs.

Last edited by sharok; 06-18-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:43 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I use Darblet for my DirecTV only which is mostly 1080i.
I have my BD Player (Oppo-103) directly connected to the TV. A new 4K upscaler (which is embedded in a HDMI cable) is coming out by the end of the month from marseilleinc.com. It is called Cinema Edition which is the third generation of the Marseille chip. I'd like to test that cable since they fixed all the bugs (I talked to the CEO of the company and he confirmed all the bugs were fixed in the new Gen).

http://www.marseilleinc.com/marseill...inema-edition/

The CEO advised me to use it without Darblet for the best results.
The only 4K contents I watch are from Netflix and Amazon which are streaming programs to my TV, so a 4K Darblet cannot help me with those programs.
Not sure what you are saying. A current generation Darblet enhances 1080p content. A new Darblet will apply similar enhancement to 4K content. If you like Darbee Vision enhancement for 1080p, you will likely find the 4K enhancements equally pleasing. What does the fact that Netflix and Amazon are streaming in 4K have anything to do with Darbee Vision 4K enhancements??? And what does a 4K up-scaler have to do with a 4K Darblet?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure what you are saying. A current generation Darblet enhances 1080p content. A new Darblet will apply similar enhancement to 4K content. If you like Darbee Vision enhancement for 1080p, you will likely find the 4K enhancements equally pleasing. What does the fact that Netflix and Amazon are streaming in 4K have anything to do with Darbee Vision 4K enhancements??? And what does a 4K up-scaler have to do with a 4K Darblet?
You're correct. But I do not have any 4K contents other than the ones from Netflix and Amazon prime. I use LG TV to stream those programs, I cannot use a Darblet in that chain. I can use it in my DirecTV chain.
But you're right about 4K, I may buy a 4K Darblet for my BD player but first I'm gonna test the new up-scaler on my player.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:13 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
You're correct. But I do not have any 4K contents other than the ones from Netflix and Amazon prime. I use LG TV to stream those programs, I cannot use a Darblet in that chain. I can use it in my DirecTV chain.
But you're right about 4K, I may buy a 4K Darblet for my BD player but first I'm gonna test the new up-scaler on my player.
You are correct about not being able to use a Darblet on the TV apps. Why are you concerned about a 4K upscaler for the player? Typically, upscaling to 4K is best done by the display. I can upscale in my AVR or in the display, and I see no difference, so I always let the display do the upscaling.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are correct about not being able to use a Darblet on the TV apps. Why are you concerned about a 4K upscaler for the player? Typically, upscaling to 4K is best done by the display. I can upscale in my AVR or in the display, and I see no difference, so I always let the display do the upscaling.
I may end up taking your route (let the display do the up-scaling). The problem with Darbee is their production time line. They have a problem producing the units. There is no 1080p Darblet available anywhere to purchase. I hope their 4K production is going to be better than their 1080p. When they say "on the horizon" it could mean a few years.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Happy to report a quick response from Darbee Vision in getting my unit in for repair. I'll keep the thread updated on the results.

Ron
Well, color me impressed. My unit arrived last Friday. This Monday they tested the unit and yes, it's DOA. Replacement unit sent out Monday. I got the unit today and it works great. It was nice having the crisp images back

Ron
mattg3 likes this.

Old Today, 10:49 AM

I did ask about a 4k Darbee product. Here was their response:

"Cannot say anything about 4K at this time, but we understand it is important to keep you AVS guys updated so I'll let you know as soon as we have some announcements."

Looking forward to hearing about what they have in the pipeline.

Old Today, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1715 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
I got the unit today and it works great.
Any obvious specs on the power supply?
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
Old Today, 04:52 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Michael
Did you see my earlier post in which I reported that a Darblet with a new power adapter experienced a spontaneous reboot? It doesn't look like the power adapter solved the issue.
Old Today, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Michael
The power supply was not the issue, so they sent the same point back. The unit itself was (just) DOA, so they replaced the whole unit.

Ron

Old Today, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1715 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Nice of them, indeed.
Too bad there's no answer (yet) for the reboots (which I don't <knock on wood emoji> experience (yet)).
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor