Darbee vision darblet - Page 324 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 303Likes

post #9691 of 9707 Old 10-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have my Darbee between my Integra and one input to my TV. This take care of everything that is non 4K. I have my Oppo connected to a different TV input (A sound only output from the Oppo is connected to the Integra)
The non 4K PQ is very acceptable (With the Darbee & the TV's upscaling)

--Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9692 of 9707 Old 10-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don’t understand why Darbee isn’t providing any kind of update on 4K support. We have over 300 pages of threads on the Darbee device so there is obviously a lot of interest in their technology. I don’t get why they aren’t providing their user and potential user with any kind of update. A simple 2 sentence post would be sufficient.

They have “displayed” processing of 4K material over a year ago and allude to it on their website but nothing about if it will actually come to be. It not like if they say that 1) it’s ready and waiting to be released, 2) they are still working on it, or 3) they are not going to do it... Is going to cause them to go bankrupt!

This really isn’t a trade secret here. They are one of very very few companies that provide this technology at an affordable price. I guess I don’t understand why they don’t communicate with their user base more. Provide some insight on their devolpment roadmap.
post #9693 of 9707 Old 10-07-2017, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
Its on its way back.

I guess my quest for a better picture may need to continue with a 4k projector at some point in the next few years.
I wouldn't give up on the darbee. As others mentioned, it could have been a defective unit. Many of us here use the Darbee in long PJ run situations with success.

I myself have a darbee on a single hdmi out of my Yammy receiver, I then have a monoprice active 1 into 2 splitter on the darbee out, and those now split hdmi outs feed my flat panel and my JVC PJ that is 25 ft away from the darbee. Had a Mits HC3800 DLP PJ working on that darbee before.

Have the darbee since it came out 5(?) years ago....working 24/7 and no issues with the remote----though I hardly use it as it's a set it and forget it type of affair.

post #9694 of 9707 Old 10-07-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducs_Of_Hazzard View Post
I don’t understand why Darbee isn’t providing any kind of update on 4K support. We have over 300 pages of threads on the Darbee device so there is obviously a lot of interest in their technology. I don’t get why they aren’t providing their user and potential user with any kind of update. A simple 2 sentence post would be sufficient.
Their founder died a few years ago and it seemed to have hit the company hard, to the point that the future of the company might be in question?
Paul H likes this.
post #9695 of 9707 Old 10-08-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Im surprised Oppo didnt just buy up the patent and keep it going in their players.

Matt
post #9696 of 9707 Old 10-08-2017, 12:59 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3400 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Im surprised Oppo didnt just buy up the patent and keep it going in their players.
I suspect 4k enhancement is a tough job: handling all the cases without causing more problems.

You have the new resolution, but also a new color space and bit depths, plus HDR. Figuring out how to process this stuff correctly in the first place is a big job.

I don't know, but suspect that Dolby would not allow any enhancements to a Dolby Vision signal. They are keeping tight control on that.

-Bill
mattg3 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #9697 of 9707 Old 10-08-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's still kinda early in the 4k game.

Discs are expensive. Most don't have the player or displays for it.

And even though I have a JVC PJ (1080p), I'm sitting 1.5x screen widths back, which I kinda like. pixelation is not an issue for me.

When the SOURCE is amazing, 1080p is amazing. To me, 1080p as a standard is pretty damn good, unless I want to sit real close to a big screen.

It's the other things, HDR, etc. that add up to a noticeable improvement.

I'm sure I'll 4k someday, but as a resolution only question, I can't see the pixels on my 80" screen unless my nose is a few inches away...
Josh Z, Mr.G and fredxr2d2 like this.
post #9698 of 9707 Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I suspect 4k enhancement is a tough job: handling all the cases without causing more problems.

You have the new resolution, but also a new color space and bit depths, plus HDR. Figuring out how to process this stuff correctly in the first place is a big job.

I don't know, but suspect that Dolby would not allow any enhancements to a Dolby Vision signal. They are keeping tight control on that.

-Bill
I agree with you findings hence why the dvdo 4k mini only supports enhancement in 4k and does not do any hdr, bt2020 passthrough and they won't be releasing firmware that does even though it's hdmi 2.0.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB
post #9699 of 9707 Old 10-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

-Bill
At this point, I wouldn't mind if they simply released an updated unit that enhanced 1080p and below sources and allowed for untouched pass-through of 4K signals @60.
rboster, mattg3, cdnscg and 1 others like this.
post #9700 of 9707 Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 PM

That is very unfortunate about the founder. I was not aware of his / her passing. I really hope that they can keep the product alive and continue to implement it into future resolutions.

I do understand the complexity of 4K and it’s various flavours. It really would be great if they could design a device that could be upgraded via firmware for all these “types” of 4K streams as they have something to release. Hell even if it was a paid upgrade I’m sure most would be OK with it.

Either way it would be great to know where their heads are at with 4K processing. I’m sure I’m not the only one that doesn’t want to pull the trigger on a 5000s only to have a new 4K device released in a few months.

I agree with the 4K pass through. Would make system integration so much easier.

Sorry for the Rant!
post #9701 of 9707 Old 10-10-2017, 08:43 PM

And maybe you don’t try to release a device that handles 100% of 4K streams. Maybe you look at releasing something that handles the majority of the 4K streams right now. The bread and butter streams. Who knows that may account for 70% of the content that is currently being consumed.

Maybe it’s unreasonable on our part to expect a device that will do everything and we just need to be educated on the complexity of that. So we can accept that a device that handles 70% is still a very much worthwhile investment.

I’m sure if the price is “reasonable” (obviously more then the 5000s) most of us on here would still buy it even if it didn’t do everything out of the box.
post #9702 of 9707 Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 665
im sure its been covered but how do you guys feel about this unit on a 4k oled with cable as the source? it seems like 4k tvs over soften then image maybe this will help?
post #9703 of 9707 Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mine crapped out recently and while I loved it, I decided not to replace it. I'm going to go 4k OLED (likely a C7) and would expect sporadic handshaking issues if you try to stick this thing in between an AVR and your TV. What the unit does is amazing but looking at it as a whole, it's kind of a piece of crap. When it works, it works great but it doesn't play well with everything out there - and that's in the 1080p world. Try to connect it to a 4k tv and I'd honestly be surprised if it worked even with a 1080p signal coming from cable.

Also, they other poster above that mentioned the owner passing is correct in everything he said as far as I know....and I'm personally not expecting to see anything like this device again from them.
post #9704 of 9707 Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7721 Post(s)
Liked: 4322
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownuser200 View Post
im sure its been covered but how do you guys feel about this unit on a 4k oled with cable as the source? it seems like 4k tvs over soften then image maybe this will help?
I use the Darblet on my DirecTV 1080i signal to a Sony LED (XBR-X940D), and the Darbee Vision enhancement is as easily noticeable as with a 1080p display, and is very pleasing. You just need to make sure you don't try to route a 4K signal through the Darblet because that won't work. In my case, I have two HDMI cables from the AVR to the display, one for 4K signals and one for all other sources. My Harmony automatically switches between the two monitor outputs on the AVR.
post #9705 of 9707 Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntstambo2 View Post
Mine crapped out recently and while I loved it, I decided not to replace it. I'm going to go 4k OLED (likely a C7) and would expect sporadic handshaking issues if you try to stick this thing in between an AVR and your TV. What the unit does is amazing but looking at it as a whole, it's kind of a piece of crap. When it works, it works great but it doesn't play well with everything out there - and that's in the 1080p world. Try to connect it to a 4k tv and I'd honestly be surprised if it worked even with a 1080p signal coming from cable.

Also, they other poster above that mentioned the owner passing is correct in everything he said as far as I know....and I'm personally not expecting to see anything like this device again from them.
i own a c7 and i planned on going directly from an x1 cable box to the tv. i might have to try it because cable looks terrible on the tv everything is over soft and if you try to turn up sharpness to try to help alittle you get a god awful amount of noise i suppose thats where the sony a1e shines
post #9706 of 9707 Old Today, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntstambo2 View Post
When it works, it works great but it doesn't play well with everything out there - and that's in the 1080p world. Try to connect it to a 4k tv and I'd honestly be surprised if it worked even with a 1080p signal coming from cable.
Well, YMMV.

Have a 4k tv with Darbee and zero issues.

No issues in the 5 something years I've had it...2 different projectors, 2 different tv's and 2 different hdmi switchers (monoprice in the beginning, then upgrading to a Yamaha AVR w/hdmi).

That being said, my cable is 1080i. Dunno if there's a cable company that can do 1080p?

No problems with 1080p coming from my Oppo blu player of course....
post #9707 of 9707 Old Today, 06:44 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7721 Post(s)
Liked: 4322
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Well, YMMV.

Have a 4k tv with Darbee and zero issues.

No issues in the 5 something years I've had it...2 different projectors, 2 different tv's and 2 different hdmi switchers (monoprice in the beginning, then upgrading to a Yamaha AVR w/hdmi).

That being said, my cable is 1080i. Dunno if there's a cable company that can do 1080p?

No problems with 1080p coming from my Oppo blu player of course....
Same here. I up-scale all video signals (1080i and below) to 1080p in my Marantz before passing the signal through the Darblet and on to a 4K Sony display. No issues whatsoever passing a 1080p signal to a 4K display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page