post #991 of 8107 Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottan View Post

Is the Darbee doing something similar to what the Oppo 93 is doing when the latter´s sharpness level is raised to "1"?

No
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 8107 Old 07-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Is the Darbee doing something similar to what the Oppo 93 is doing when the latter´s sharpness level is raised to "1"? If yes....is there a sense for Oppo-users to go the Darbee route?

It's not at all similar. The Darbee enhances contrast transitions which as perceived by the viewer improve both depth and sharpness. The Oppo sharpness control introduces ringing similar to the sharpness controls on displays etc. Some prefer enhancing sharpness by using such controls, but in fact a sharpness control filters out high frequency detail while introducing ringing.
post #993 of 8107 Old 07-15-2012, 11:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

It's not at all similar. The Darbee enhances contrast transitions which as perceived by the viewer improve both depth and sharpness. The Oppo sharpness control introduces ringing similar to the sharpness controls on displays etc. Some prefer enhancing sharpness by using such controls, but in fact a sharpness control filters out high frequency detail while introducing ringing.

I tend to disagree. No (visible) ringing is introduced by the Oppo´s sharpness control unless its level is raised above "2".
post #994 of 8107 Old 07-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I tend to disagree. No (visible) ringing is introduced by the Oppo´s sharpness control unless its level is raised above "2".
I have to agree with Kottan. I keep the sharpness on the Oppo usually set at 2 with the darblet set anywhere from 50 to 75% in HD mode, mostly at 65%. I don't doubt that the Oppo causes some artifacting but it's rarely perceptible in everyday viewing.
post #995 of 8107 Old 07-15-2012, 01:19 PM

I like the Oppo a lot. Lots of sharpness controls are not zero when reading zero. The setting below where ringing is introduced is the true zero to me. Clearly you can turn the Oppo sharpness control up and up it will introduce ringing and one must closely observe the transition edges to ensure no loss of detail or obscuring by a halo (ringing) around transition edges. Owners that have an Oppo and a Darblet can report on the benefits of daisy chaining an Oppo and a Darblet. Adding a Darblet will improve the contrast transitions, the depth and increased sharpness to ones eyes that occurs with the Darblet. As usual AV Science offers a money back guarantee if you do not agree or think the Darblet is worth the improvement.
post #996 of 8107 Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Had an odd issue with the darblet - I thought things didn't look quite as crisp, and went to play with the settings - although the darblet was lit up correctly and responded to the remote, there was no change to the effect - even selected on or off. It simply wasn't processing.

I unpowered and repowered and it returned to normal operation...
post #997 of 8107 Old 07-15-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB View Post

I have to agree with Kottan. I keep the sharpness on the Oppo usually set at 2 with the darblet set anywhere from 50 to 75% in HD mode, mostly at 65%. I don't doubt that the Oppo causes some artifacting but it's rarely perceptible in everyday viewing.

Same here on the +1 or+2 sharpness on the Oppo's no ringing here as well and lifts the so called veil ! While I'm not 100% sure but it is said to engage Qdeo processing, this has been the burning question for me as well vs the Darblet. The Oppo's also have Contrast enhancement which does do(which is not bad at all, but feels like cheating:D) what the Darblet has been described to do. I'm trying to hold out just to see what more professional reviews and testing find on how much it alters the picture, as end users reviews give it a thumbs up! But if its just the same as engaging processing I already have, then my own side by side test will be the final judge.
post #998 of 8107 Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

the Darbee looks to only affect areas most in focus creating a better overall POP effect from the test gallery i viewed. Still keeping the unfocused bokeh soft which i really like.

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #999 of 8107 Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Had an odd issue with the darblet - I thought things didn't look quite as crisp, and went to play with the settings - although the darblet was lit up correctly and responded to the remote, there was no change to the effect - even selected on or off. It simply wasn't processing.

It does seem we live in a world where microprocessors seem to need to be rebooted every now and then.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #1000 of 8107 Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Ive come accross the same thing one time as well, where pulling the power was required, after powerup all was good...
post #1001 of 8107 Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Same here on the +1 or+2 sharpness on the Oppo's no ringing here as well and lifts the so called veil ! While I'm not 100% sure but it is said to engage Qdeo processing, this has been the burning question for me as well vs the Darblet. The Oppo's also have Contrast enhancement which does do(which is not bad at all, but feels like cheating:D) what the Darblet has been described to do. I'm trying to hold out just to see what more professional reviews and testing find on how much it alters the picture, as end users reviews give it a thumbs up! But if its just the same as engaging processing I already have, then my own side by side test will be the final judge.

Interesting. I keep my OPPO Sharpness at +1 and Detail at +1 (most of the time) w/ no adverse affects. Never tried the Contrast Enhancement control. Has anybody compared the OPPO Contrast Enhancement control vs: the Darbee processing? Do you have an OPPO Josh?
post #1002 of 8107 Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Do you have an OPPO Josh?

I do. That setting is a global contrast boost. Not the same thing at all.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1003 of 8107 Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 PM

I suspect the contrast enhancement on the OPPO is like that in the Gennum chip and alters the shape of the gamma curve at both ends.
post #1004 of 8107 Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I just tested the Darbee and I saw no evidence of any change to color performance.

The only odd characteristic that I believe has been mentioned by others is that the Darbee outputs RGB regardless of what signal it receives. Thus, it is probably wise to send it an RGB signal to avoid an unnecessary color space conversion.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1005 of 8107 Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 PM

Liked: 11
Hello Tom, what was your opinion of the Darblet?smile.gif
post #1006 of 8107 Old 07-16-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Thanks for that Tom, exactly what I was looking for.

What settings were in use (& what mode) while the Darblet was ON?

- - -

So RGB 4:4:4 at all times(?), will this be corrected?

Can it adjust levels properly, say I wanted to use it for gaming from a PC... can it do 0-255?

- - -

Thanks again,
Jason
post #1007 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

So RGB 4:4:4 at all times(?), will this be corrected?

- - -
Thanks again,
Jason

As stated in one of the last couple of pages, the current delay in new units into the market place is to make that correction.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1008 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

As stated in one of the last couple of pages, the current delay in new units into the market place is to make that correction.

Ah, sorry I missed that. wink.gif

Thank You!
Jason
post #1009 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The new firmware fixes rgb only out.

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #1010 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 04:40 PM

The way I understand it, the new software will output the same same that is inputted. The interesting nerd question would be what space does it process in? It would seem desirable to input whatever space that is. But I dunno if my first sentence is correct and whether the Darblet does it's processing in only one space or whether it can process in multiple spaces without any conversions.
post #1011 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I was looking for something new to obsess about!

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #1012 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:

The interesting nerd question would be what space does it process in?
All documentation states internal processing is 4:4:4.
post #1013 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Phew!

See ya. Dave

post #1014 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post

The new firmware fixes rgb only out.

Really?

A number of us have been experiencing HDMI issues - handshake, weird audio stuff (in my case) with the Darblet. I thought this was being addressed as well. frown.gif
post #1015 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 PM

I've followed this thread with a lot of interest and have read through most of the 34 pages here. I recall reading a post from a user with an Oppo BDP-93, who had to switch to the second HDMI port for the Darbee to function correctly. I have a BDP-93 and was wondering if I would need to do this as well.

Media Room
Mitsubishi HC6800 1080P Projector with Darbee Darblet Video Processor
106" Da-Lite 90271V Cinema Contour High Contrast Cinema Vision Screen
Denon AVR-2809CI
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray Player
Energy v6.2 Towers / Energy v5.2 Center / Boston Acoustics HS50 surrounds / Klipsch RW-12D Sub
post #1016 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for posting. I had noticed no significant difference lately with unit bypassed or on HD. Unplugged and everything was back to normal. Odd bug...
post #1017 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikool View Post

I've followed this thread with a lot of interest and have read through most of the 34 pages here. I recall reading a post from a user with an Oppo BDP-93, who had to switch to the second HDMI port for the Darbee to function correctly. I have a BDP-93 and was wondering if I would need to do this as well.

I think you have to try and see, as I have BD93 and it works on both of my port. My connection and downstream equipment though is very likely different than that other poster though....
post #1018 of 8107 Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

Quote:

The interesting nerd question would be what space does it process in?
All documentation states internal processing is 4:4:4.
Yes, But thats now not necessairily the case by the sound of it with the new firmware regarding Darbee Drs last post about the fix..

Quote from Darbee"
In the case of being handed something other than RGB, our engineer has successfully modified our processing so that we will process in the incoming color space and color resolution to avoid the HDMI communication pitfalls. The communication will be much easier for the HDMI code to handle and our processing should take on the perfect transparency that was originally intended.
-DD

I followed up with this post " But no reply so still up in the air regarding how exactly the updated darblets will handle/ internal process Colorspace..
"Quote"This is excellent news DarbeeDr , So no extra colorspace conversions,
I take it the Darblet will now have the capability to perform its internal processing @ up to 12Bit ?"
Cinema Mad..

Cheers...
post #1019 of 8107 Old 07-18-2012, 06:08 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Yes, But thats now not necessairily the case by the sound of it with the new firmware regarding Darbee Drs last post about the fix..
Quote from Darbee"
In the case of being handed something other than RGB, our engineer has successfully modified our processing so that we will process in the incoming color space and color resolution to avoid the HDMI communication pitfalls. The communication will be much easier for the HDMI code to handle and our processing should take on the perfect transparency that was originally intended.
-DD
I followed up with this post " But no reply so still up in the air regarding how exactly the updated darblets will handle/ internal process Colorspace..
"Quote"This is excellent news DarbeeDr , So no extra colorspace conversions,
I take it the Darblet will now have the capability to perform its internal processing @ up to 12Bit ?"
Cinema Mad..
Cheers...

I agree at this time what color space the actual processing takes place in is rather confusing. I would hope that if the documentation is wrong it would have been changed by now. I would also like to see something documented regarding the use of IR extender receivers. The only info I have found is the Darblet supports 3V extenders. Most extenders are either 5V or 12V. I have tried several that I have here and none of them work. A list of compatible extenders would be a big help.
post #1020 of 8107 Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 AM

The way I understand it now after talking to the Dr. this morning, is that the Darblet processes at 12 bit 4:4:4, regardless of the input and with the new coming software will down convert at its output to whatever the input was if lower than 12 bit 4:4:4. Sooz if you can input at 4:4:4, one should do so to avoid up conversion by the Darblet for processing and then down conversion by the darblet so that the Darblet doesn't change the out from the in. There are other changes made by the new firmware dealing with HDMI and some other things. It looks like Darbee will delay shipments to dealers from the beginning of next week till the end of the week. This is solely to give the software guys a little more time. The hardware is all ready to go.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page