post #1351 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

Thanks for the input, Kris. So would you say that having the device set to the low settings is like the images shown on the site, just at a greatly reduced opacity?

Why don't put your hands on one (borrow if not buy like most everyone else) and take a look for yourself. And then tell us if you can't find some setting in the HD mode at some point above ZERO that you would find enjoyable and usable. We're not all nuts here. Said with a big smile.....smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I had an issue with my Darby and their support was great to replace it and also update the software at the same time.. excellent customer service. I think I have one of the first with the updated software.

@ lyris - imo, they shouldn't use those examples from the site, it could leave some with the wrong impression. I've spent time photographing the difference with the darby on/off and also with JVC's e-shift on/off from my RS55. I'll post these closeups soon so others can get a basic idea of what's going on with this device.

When used in moderation, this processor has a great impact on the perceived sharpness and depth of the image. I have a 142" 16:9 and it works especially well combined with JVC's e-shift. They both perform different kinds of image enhancement and one would think these 2 different technologies were designed for each other.

it's hard to resist for the low cost, I just ordered a 2nd one from AVS to use in a different room.
post #1353 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

Thanks for the input, Kris. So would you say that having the device set to the low settings is like the images shown on the site, just at a greatly reduced opacity?
What I'm getting at is, is the implementation in the hardware the same as the web gallery software? (Or close enough to be visually similar?)

Even with the blend filter they are using on the website it is hard to get a good visual representation of what you'll see on a projection system. I have found that the better the source material the better the results with the Darbee, which was actually a bit surprising. The best Blu-ray transfers seem to benefit more from the processing in terms of depth and detail than softer transfers. And the fact that you can turn it on and off on the fly to see what its doing is a wonderful tool for evaluation.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #1354 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Even with the blend filter they are using on the website it is hard to get a good visual representation of what you'll see on a projection system. I have found that the better the source material the better the results with the Darbee, which was actually a bit surprising. The best Blu-ray transfers seem to benefit more from the processing in terms of depth and detail than softer transfers. And the fact that you can turn it on and off on the fly to see what its doing is a wonderful tool for evaluation.

I can't wait to watch HTTYD on my system... It's set the benchmark on my setup and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Darblet can do!

post #1355 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo85281 View Post

I finally got charged for my Darblet this morning!!! It must be shipping today! Finally the video enhancement gods have shined down on me lol

Mark, can you confirm?

I didn't get charged.. frown.gif

I have some people coming over to demo my PJ and i'd love to show other AVS members what all the hype is about

post #1356 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I had an issue with my Darby and their support was great to replace it and also update the software at the same time.. excellent customer service. I think I have one of the first with the updated software.
@ lyris - imo, they shouldn't use those examples from the site, it could leave some with the wrong impression. I've spent time photographing the difference with the darby on/off and also with JVC's e-shift on/off from my RS55. I'll post these closeups soon so others can get a basic idea of what's going on with this device.
When used in moderation, this processor has a great impact on the perceived sharpness and depth of the image. I have a 142" 16:9 and it works especially well combined with JVC's e-shift. They both perform different kinds of image enhancement and one would think these 2 different technologies were designed for each other.
it's hard to resist for the low cost, I just ordered a 2nd one from AVS to use in a different room.

I've also just gotten my D back for the FW upgrade--very prompt and efficient service!

However I'm not sure the 'color space problem' has been solved.   E.g., if I send it 422 or 444 from my Radiance, the pic ((on a Sony1000ES) has the usual screwed up color that is typical when the color spaces don't match.    If I output RGB from the Radiance to the D, then the colors look just right.

So it seems to me--unless I'm doing something stupid (which is still a good bet)--that the Darblet is still only able to receive RGB and pass it correctly.

post #1357 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I can't say for certain, but I don't think Fedex delivered the units today to AVS, though this morning it showed they would be arriving this afternoon (so that's why the CC's had been charged today). I don't work for AVS, but that's my understanding

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1358 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 359
My card hasn't been charged yet either. I'm still holding out hope it ships out tomorrow and I receive it by the weekend.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #1359 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
CC has a pending charge, so it should have been shipped, if not today, then tomorrow. Looking forward to it sometime next week as it gallops across the country.
post #1360 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Got my Darblet back today too!

Color space output is fixed in my setup! Fast service...nice! They even sent me a replacement power supply for the one that died on me.

Have not tested the power off JVC RS1 settings yet for when my 3D projector is on. It should allow my Duo to see my RS1 turned off.
post #1361 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I've also just gotten my D back for the FW upgrade--very prompt and efficient service!

However I'm not sure the 'color space problem' has been solved.   E.g., if I send it 422 or 444 from my Radiance, the pic ((on a Sony1000ES) has the usual screwed up color that is typical when the color spaces don't match.    If I output RGB from the Radiance to the D, then the colors look just right.

So it seems to me--unless I'm doing something stupid (which is still a good bet)--that the Darblet is still only able to receive RGB and pass it correctly.

Did you set your projector back to auto color space? It should work now.
post #1362 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Did you set your projector back to auto color space? It should work now.

The Sony1000ES doesn't seem to have a setting to choose color space, presumably being able to use whichever is sent to it.

So, can you send 422 or 444 to your Darblet and have things work OK?

post #1363 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sony1000ES doesn't seem to have a setting to choose color space, presumably being able to use whichever is sent to it.

So, can you send 422 or 444 to your Darblet and have things work OK?

Yes! Every mode works perfectly and I verified the input on my JVC. The JVC auto selects the color space I send to the Darblet which passes what I send it without jumping to RGB like it was.
post #1364 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes! Every mode works perfectly and I verified the input on my JVC. The JVC auto selects the color space I send to the Darblet which passes what I send it without jumping to RGB like it was.

OK, tx for the info.

post #1365 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, tx for the info.

I would try selecting a different HDMI input on your projector and then go back to the input with the the Darblet already passing 422 or 444.
post #1366 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 PM

Liked: 15
You will find an additional feature in the new Darblets.

You can thank Jeff Meier for requesting 1% increments of adjustment to the Darbee Settings.

-DD
post #1367 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

You can thank Jeff Meier for requesting 1% increments of adjustment to the Darbee Settings.
-DD

Hmmm.    I also don't have this feature in my 'up-graded' Darblet.     Seems like nothing got upgraded.

post #1368 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm.    I also don't have this feature in my 'up-graded' Darblet.     Seems like nothing got upgraded.

It is in the advanced settings and is defaulted to off.
post #1369 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

-DD

Sweet!! That's a pretty awesome feature to allow for even more personalized customization!! Can't wait to get mine!!
post #1370 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got my Darblet back today too!
Color space output is fixed in my setup! Fast service...nice! They even sent me a replacement power supply for the one that died on me.
Have not tested the power off JVC RS1 settings yet for when my 3D projector is on. It should allow my Duo to see my RS1 turned off.

Oh well! Dual projector setup still broken! Now when my JVC is off the darblet becomes a display device itself named HDMI TV. So my Duo doesn't auto change to output number 2 display settings. It stays on output 1 which has different cms and output settings. Bummer!

At least color space seems to be fixed.
post #1371 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ah, yes--tx!    (Though actually I had no problem with the 5% steps.)

post #1372 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can some of you with the new Darblets, or upgraded ones, check your SW and FW (in the 'About' item in the menu).  Mine is SW:  2.8.2205, and FW:  1.3.21.

post #1373 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:

I should have mentioned that you access the 1% feature in the Menu, under Advanced Settings.

If you find the 1% feature, you definitely have the new firmware.

-DD
post #1374 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I should have mentioned that you access the 1% feature in the Menu, under Advanced Settings.
If you find the 1% feature, you definitely have the new firmware.
-DD

Tx, DD; yes I have the 1% feature.   But still perplexed that things don't work when I send 422 or 444 color space from my Radiance to the Darblet (and from it to a Sony1000ES).    It does work if i send RGB out of the Radiance.

post #1375 of 8104 Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Tx, DD; yes I have the 1% feature.   But still perplexed that things don't work when I send 422 or 444 color space from my Radiance to the Darblet (and from it to a Sony1000ES).    It does work if i send RGB out of the Radiance.

We don't have a Sony1000ES in our lab, so it will be hard to quickly run this to ground.
We'll stay on it. Please return the unit for a full purchase refund, if is does not meet your needs.

-DD
post #1376 of 8104 Old 08-01-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Oh good! So you don't have to use the 1s Ronomy? I'm perfectly happy and actually would prefer the increments of five. You can easily see those changes a click at a time rather than riding the up or down button.

On another note I think a couple people with projectors and large screens here mentioned The Art of Flying snowboarding bluray, and that prompted me to order it on Amazon 6 weeks ago but screwed up and somehow chose vendor from Italy. I finally got it today after all that time. WOW!! Everyone owes it to themselves to see the quality of this disc in their system with their favorite display. What the DVP processing can do with this s.o.t.a. camera footage throughout is jaw dropping. And there's no glasses being worn. eek.gif
post #1377 of 8104 Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Oh good! So you don't have to use the 1s Ronomy? I'm perfectly happy and actually would prefer the increments of five. You can easily see those changes a click at a time rather than riding the up or down button.
On another note I think a couple people with projectors and large screens here mentioned The Art of Flying snowboarding bluray, and that prompted me to order it on Amazon 6 weeks ago but screwed up and somehow chose vendor from Italy. I finally got it today after all that time. WOW!! Everyone owes it to themselves to see the quality of this disc in their system with their favorite display. What the DVP processing can do with this s.o.t.a. camera footage throughout is jaw dropping. And there's no glasses being worn. eek.gif

Awwww man!!! I cannot wait!! I ordered this disc tonight after checking out a review. Really looking forward to checking it out with the Darbee!!
post #1378 of 8104 Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 AM

Liked: 10
My DVP shipped yesterday, due to arrive on the 3rd. I will try to post some pictures up once it's up and running. smile.gif

post #1379 of 8104 Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Seems its quicker to ship from the US to a UK retailer and then to the customer than it is to get it to customers in the US smile.gif Mine will be with me tomorrow , arrived at UK retailer late yesterday, been sent today for delivery tomorrow, looking forward to seeing what this thing can do
post #1380 of 8104 Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Configure your BD player to output 422 and verify that the Radiance's Status screen shows "Color Fmt: YCbCr 422" for the input. Reconnect the Darblet between the player & the Radiance, power cycle the Radiance, and see if the Status screen still shows "Color Fmt: YCbCr 422" for the input . If it reports "Color Fmt: RGB" then you've confirmed that the Darblet has an issue.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page