26Likes

post #121 of 8107 Old 05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Darblet enhanced on right side (Hi Def mode, Level: 40%):

Ignore my camera's wonky colors. The image looks much better in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 8107 Old 05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

I made the 80% screenshot because I thought folks might not see much difference in a compressed, size-reduced photo at my preferred 40% level. The effect at 40% is much more subtle and does not look artificial. The Darblet gives you a lot of flexibility to choose the effect level that looks best for the particular content & your preference.

Any chance you can post a picture on 40% split like this of the same pic?

Thanks.

does the darbie have a built in split screen?

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #123 of 8107 Old 05-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

Any chance you can post a picture on 40% split like this of the same pic?

Darblet Hi Def mode, Level 40%:

My hand-held, auto-focus pictures don't really do the Darblet justice. Hopefully some competent photographers will post better images...
post #124 of 8107 Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

does the darbie have a built in split screen?

I believe demo mode does the split screen.

Anyone else that has ordered this have calibration software and hardware? I'd love to see some measurements of what it's doing to the image.
post #125 of 8107 Old 05-12-2012, 08:40 AM

Liked: 12
My Darbee is between a Pioneer BDP320 bluray player
and a JVC RS45 projector. The Darbee is set to HD at 40%.
When viewing paused images from a bluray disc and going back and forth from off to on at 40% I see a cleaner image with more detail and depth or dimensionality.Anything above 50% starts to introduce video noise and what I perceive as edge enhancement.At 50% or below I do not see any video noise or degradation in edges around objects and people.
When viewing the same material in motion the Darbee at times can give a mild 3D effect that I like and introduces no motion artifacts that I can see.The positive effects I mentioned earlier when looking at familiar material total up to a subtle to moderate improvement in picture quality.One thing I am not quite sure of yet is that I thought I saw better motion handling also but need more time to determine this for sure.Overall a good value.
My one gripe is the Darbee 40% displayed in the bottom right corner of my image but maybe someone knows how to turn this off?
post #126 of 8107 Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmelkon View Post

My one gripe is the Darbee 40% displayed in the bottom right corner of my image but maybe someone knows how to turn this off?

Go to Menu > Settings > Logo Properties and set to not persistent.
post #127 of 8107 Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 12
Awesome,thanks Praz.
post #128 of 8107 Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmelkon View Post

Awesome,thanks Praz.

You're welcome.
post #129 of 8107 Old 05-12-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
My unit arrived on Friday and I tried it out today on a couple of Blu Ray movies using my Epson 6010. I had good success with improving the image well past the 40% mark, though eventually I did begin to find it too intrusive. But, I was pleased with the results all the way up to about 60% or so using HD. Full Pop was impressive as well. It definitely adds a dimension that makes the image seem more like my old 3 chip DLP (Sim2 C3X). I'm planning on more experimentation, but my reference IRobot was pretty good and that's the one that I often use for such comparisons. My results match very well with the photos that Henrich3 posted. Connection was directly from the Monitor Out of my Pioneer Elite AVR via a 3' HDMI 1.4a cable === Darbee ==== 50' HDMI 1.4a ==== Epson 6010. Source was Oppo BD-93 into the AVR. Can't beat it for the price.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #130 of 8107 Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
It's OK with the Darblet to let your hair down and enjoy what it can do and seems to have been designed to be able to do.....give the most depth ever and roundness from 2D source material. The people super worried about the pixels aren't going to know...it's OK.

I mentioned in another post about special moments in sports telecasting when we all of a sudden realize how good our equipment is again as we are watching a game somewhere from a really great signal from a dialed in production and truck.

The Fox Sports West signal for me tonight on Charter is super clean. I have great noise reduction but none is needed. Zero compression issues.

So heck with it I'm running with Darbee on Full Pop 120% with a lot of lumens from a just "UMR" calibrated RS50 on a 8.5' wide 2.8 Hi Power.

The beautiful blacks of the JVC and Staples seating area blacked out lighting, with the Laker gold and crisp colors of the court from some of the court side cameras is jaw dropping in its depth.

I think in some of the higher settings in Full Pop when you're going for the gusto with a clean signal while watching sports, the most obvious negative artifact I see is a lesser version of the old "clay face" effect in facial features as sometimes seen with noise reduction at higher levels on older equipment.

But that slight loss in facial detail of the players, when you are paying attention to the game is a small price to pay for the much greater roundness of the players and definitely enhanced depth. There is a look about high end court side cameras anyway....maybe the wide angle gives them so much depth. But with Full Pop on highest setting with Darbee tonight these camera shots are the most amazing I've ever seen with the Lakers on my setup.

Since I'm watching on time shift just came back in to say not sure what I see with faces but if anything on extreme settings I just seem to be aware of something there if looking for something. Like looking for rainbows on DLP. "Clay Face" isn't really accurate because sharpness is a side effect of going for the depth. And as said above it's no deal breaker anyway.

Edit: Dropped to 100 on full pop and settled there. Looks great.
post #131 of 8107 Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

Darblet Hi Def mode, Level 40%:

My hand-held, auto-focus pictures don't really do the Darblet justice. Hopefully some competent photographers will post better images...

Sorry I must have been typing my question as you posted this! They have the same post time

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #132 of 8107 Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry I must have been typing my question as you posted this! They have the same post time

No problem, David. Cheers, mate!

I watched a few 3D flicks tonight (Immortals, Underworld Awakening, Satchurated) with the Darblet in Hi Def mode, level 40%. The improvement in apparent detail was similar to what I saw with 2D material. I'm still pleased.
post #133 of 8107 Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the 40% on the screen shots. I agree even 80% looks like too much IMO.

I might have to get one of these myself.

David

post #134 of 8107 Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"I like the 40% on the screen shots. "

So do I. I felt the example shots on Darbee's site looked over sharpened.

Shawn
post #135 of 8107 Old 05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 275
@ Ron - ok, you convinced me, I'm going to pick one up and give it shot based on all the positive feedback so far.

I'm curious how it looks with the RS55's e-shift.
post #136 of 8107 Old 05-13-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

@ Ron - ok, you convinced me, I'm going to pick one up and give it shot based on all the positive feedback so far.

I'm curious how it looks with the RS55's e-shift.

I'm curious about that too Jason. Wow I just came in from theater to say how daylight Baseball looks made for high settings on Full Pop. The view from centerfield camera behind pitcher to home plate is always a great camera and that view from Dodgers / Rockies today at Dodger Stadium is awesome at 120 on Full Pop. Night baseball games are generally bright too. This is made for football the one NFL playoff game I had from 2011 and got to see with DVP before Tivo deleted it on me after specifically saying save.

I'll get together with Gotcha if he doesn't have a Darbee unit yet and is thinking about it and wants to see it with e-shift on his RS55. I think he is pretty close to me. I haven't even seen a 55 yet.

But Mike at AVS said Alan is running the 4K Barco (guessing upconverted?) with the Darblet and just took it from Mark. Perks of being owner.....
post #137 of 8107 Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I couldn't resist getting one either. I just had my vw95 calibrated by umr and the difference is day and night. It's sharpness and contrast are superb. So I was a little skeptical that anything could improve it further but hearing some comments on the even sharper VW1000 that it was improved somewhat I figured that it was worth a try. Hopefully I can get this from the UPS guy who's been carrying it around since friday.
post #138 of 8107 Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

I couldn't resist getting one either. I just had my vw95 calibrated by umr and the difference is day and night. It's sharpness and contrast are superb. So I was a little skeptical that anything could improve it further but hearing some comments on the even sharper VW1000 that it was improved somewhat I figured that it was worth a try. Hopefully I can get this from the UPS guy who's been carrying it around since friday.

let us know how you feel.
post #139 of 8107 Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

let us know how you feel.

Just looped the Darblet in the chain, Oppo 83 , just calibrated by umr vw95, screen 1.1 91x51 , set it to HiDef to watch a Smallville BD episode. I never thought the newly calibrated pj could look any better in sharpness/contrast but indeed at 70% it is noticebly better in both. If the descriptive word 'richer' makes any sense in comparing with and without the Darblet. Since I'm not technically inclined and have no measurement equipment it would be misleading for me to try quantify further. Going higher I did get distracted by noise in faces with any motion as it approached 100. I'm on the 4 or the 5th episode of season 8 and I know how these episodes look, even the Demo mode doesn't let you fully appreciate the total visual impact improvement. It more or less distracted me comparing left and right side, improvements were visible, but once in HiDef and just watching it was beautiful. To me this little investment has me sitting comfortably without the itch to upgrade to the first 4K laser pj out the gates.
post #140 of 8107 Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone used this on a DLP projector?

I only ask as I have seen the RS-40 and I would consider the image softer than on a DLP. I have an LED DLP (Runco Q-750) and I do not want to add this if I am going to have an over sharpened image even at low settings.

Thanks

David

post #141 of 8107 Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone used this on a DLP projector?

I only ask as I have seen the RS-40 and I would consider the image softer than on a DLP. I have an LED DLP (Runco Q-750) and I do not want to add this if I am going to have an over sharpened image even at low settings.

Your profile says that you're in the Denver area. If so, send me a PM & you can try out mine...
post #142 of 8107 Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
seems like overwhelming, everyone is pleased with their device. I guess I will place my order online with AVS later this week!
post #143 of 8107 Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'd still like to see impressions of some calibrators. Someone like Chad B., umr, or D-Nice would be welcome additions to this conversation.
post #144 of 8107 Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post

I'd still like to see impressions of some calibrators. Someone like Chad B., umr, or D-Nice would be welcome additions to this conversation.

This was posted a couple pages back by UMR same day 3 hours later last Monday after he touched up my RS50 on a 2.8 HP screen and spending an hour straight with the Darblet remote and JVC remote, comparing what DVP could do vs the lesser quality effect of the Detail and Sharpness controls of the projector. He actually said a considerable amount of very positive things about it beyond even what's in his brief write up while working on the road. He also said he would be buying one.

And understand he is talking only 5/10/15 setting on Hi Def with some of his reference BR discs. There is so much more here in other types of viewing and material as well beyond his very conservative approach with Bluray movies.

High end commercials I'm noticing now on sports telecasts are a "trip" sometimes with the aggressive settings in Full Pop I'm usually running with those if the signal is clean.

umr
AV Consultant

AVS GOLD CLUB MEMBER

I just worked on a system with one of these today. I think many would find it to be a valuable product to use.

My observations are here. http://homecinemaguru.com/?p=1909

Projection Screen Materials Review
Blog with AV observations and system advice.
AV Calibration & Design using Photo Research PR-670 & Sencore SP495 /w Class I microphone
post #145 of 8107 Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I will be finishing my write up soon. I spent 5 hours with it last night and plan to do more today.

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #146 of 8107 Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

seems like overwhelming, everyone is pleased with their device. I guess I will place my order online with AVS later this week!

Mine should be here soon, I'll post impressions in the shoot-out thread with the Sony HW30, JVC RS55 and the BQ W7000 (with 1:1 mapping fixed in the firmware)
post #147 of 8107 Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 78
It shows out of stock for AVS. Any idea when they will be back in?
post #148 of 8107 Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Couple of questions.

1. Is the remote IR or RF?
2. Is there a user guide or manual online?

Thanks,
Barry
post #149 of 8107 Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Darblet DarbeeVision Review done. Go to my homepage (click on my name to the left then click on my Homepage) to check it out.

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #150 of 8107 Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post

Couple of questions.

1. Is the remote IR or RF?
2. Is there a user guide or manual online?

Thanks,
Barry

Remote is IR
http://darbeevision.com/assets/docum...020120426a.pdf
popalock likes this.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page