Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1711 of 8107 Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Do any of you guys leave the Darbee on all the time?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 8107 Old 08-04-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have been liking Blu ray on Hi Def at 45% and DirecTV sports on Full Pop about 70%. Shows like Dexter or Walking Dead get Hi Def at about 55%. smile.gif
Dual Darblets makes life easier since I don't have to switch back and forth. Since I love Blu ray players with Dual HDMI outputs I have always used both HDMI inputs on my projector (HDMI 1 is for the Onkyo- DirecTV, 360, PS3 and Security cameras/HDMI 2 with my Sony 790 blu ray). smile.gif

Thanks for the tips. I finally got around to hooking it up and have it set at HD 70%. Still playing around. I'm watching Iron Chef America and I swear I'm in Kitchen Stadium with them.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #1713 of 8107 Old 08-04-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

HA.... I don't feel like such a degenerate. Checking out new HT gear always goes better with some cold ones. Gotcha had none but I helped myself to 3 of his while showing him the Darblet and he....me, the eShift and MPC on his RS55 with it. As everyone else has said it's a great combo.
And Waboman NICE setup!! And the audio gear eek.gif All the McIntosh components are freaking gorgeous. (need a couple bow down icons like on my Lakers forum)

Quote:

Definitely +1

Thanks, guys.smile.gif

Having fun playing around with it. One question, is the green on/off light supposed to flash constantly?

P.S. I think the Darblet even makes the beer taste better.wink.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #1714 of 8107 Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I do. Don't really see a reason to turn it off.
post #1715 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading all this positive feedback on the performance of the Darbee, this sounds like an exciting and amazing product. However, since I live in Europe, overseas shipping is involved which makes any firmware issues cumbersome to handle. I am therefore interested whether anybody has successfully integrated the Darbee into the chain Oppo93->Marantz AV7005->Sony 95ES (so that the Darbee performs flawlessly).
Thanks for your comments in advance!
post #1716 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 02:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

frabz-Always-posting-negatives-Not-sure-if-troll-3161f2.jpg

Time and again i have produced some expert opinion and been accused of trolling etc, well so be it as these are the images you people prefer but i will leave you with this observation ignore it if you like as that seems to be the way on here and be happy with your new gadgets:

" I really have tried to find reasons to like this device and have on some types of images. I cannot, however, say that I am buying that it is appropriate for everything. I remain agnostic with regard to this deity and skeptical of the purveyors of this religion. No kneeling and praying to the oracle here. I do suggest that anyone who looks at what it does and likes it should feel perfectly good about buying one. It certainly is a reasonable value if you like this effect.

For someone more interested in image fidelity, however, I just don't see how this fits. It is altering the contrast ratio and enhancing detail that is subdued in the source. It clearly alters the source to emphasize information in a different manner than the original. For many films, where cinematography is part of the art, I think most directors would suggest minimal use if you want to experience what was intended visually.

This processing could be a very useful production tool and useful for large scale presentations. For many large video displays for events it could be quite nice where one is trying to display to a very large audience and impact is more important than fidelity."
post #1717 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
@baslog

I don't see display hardware manufacturers giving us correct calibration out of the box.
So unless we set up our TV /PJ correctly the Director's objective is immediately defeated by an absolutely new Display unit.

Once calibrated this original source may be accurately reproduced.
However, surely the Darbee gives us an 'effect' which is a different thing from 'calibration'.
I do not have a Darbee however I do calibrate but I can see a future for effects and calibration to coexist.
In fact I think other effects could be developed and added to this one, perhaps VP's could have an effects menu as well as a calibration menu?

Anything that improves our viewing experience is surely a good thing and worrying about how Film Directors feel is unneccesary, they should be glad we bought their product in the first place.
tkbryant likes this.
post #1718 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 03:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

@baslog
I don't see display hardware manufacturers giving us correct calibration out of the box.
So unless we set up our TV /PJ correctly the Director's objective is immediately defeated by an absolutely new Display unit.
Once calibrated this original source may be accurately reproduced.
However, surely the Darbee gives us an 'effect' which is a different thing from 'calibration'.
I do not have a Darbee however I do calibrate but I can see a future for effects and calibration to coexist.
In fact I think other effects could be developed and added to this one, perhaps VP's could have an effects menu as well as a calibration menu?
Anything that improves our viewing experience is surely a good thing and worrying about how Film Directors feel is unneccesary, they should be glad we bought their product in the first place.

Hello mate another Brit LOL. Seen your posts on AVForums and can't wait for the review, also i liked Phil Hinton's and Stuart Wright's posts on image fidelity in the Darblet thread over there and the fundimental principles behind it.smile.gif
post #1719 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 04:00 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Thanks, guys.smile.gif
Having fun playing around with it. One question, is the green on/off light supposed to flash constantly?
P.S. I think the Darblet even makes the beer taste better.wink.gif

bump, would like to know also so when mine comes I don't have to ask the same question.

Frank

post #1720 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazlog View Post

Time and again i have produced some expert opinion and been accused of trolling etc, well so be it as these are the images you people prefer but i will leave you with this observation ignore it if you like as that seems to be the way on here and be happy with your new gadgets:
" I really have tried to find reasons to like this device and have on some types of images. I cannot, however, say that I am buying that it is appropriate for everything. I remain agnostic with regard to this deity and skeptical of the purveyors of this religion. No kneeling and praying to the oracle here. I do suggest that anyone who looks at what it does and likes it should feel perfectly good about buying one. It certainly is a reasonable value if you like this effect.
For someone more interested in image fidelity, however, I just don't see how this fits. It is altering the contrast ratio and enhancing detail that is subdued in the source. It clearly alters the source to emphasize information in a different manner than the original. For many films, where cinematography is part of the art, I think most directors would suggest minimal use if you want to experience what was intended visually.
This processing could be a very useful production tool and useful for large scale presentations. For many large video displays for events it could be quite nice where one is trying to display to a very large audience and impact is more important than fidelity."

Yet amazingly you still hang around here. biggrin.gif

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #1721 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 04:38 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Avs is an exciting place Joe smile.gif

Frank

post #1722 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Avs is an exciting place Joe smile.gif

I guess. Just figured if someone was typing an entire paragraph convincing themselves (as well as attempting to convince others) as to why something is not good then why would they continue hanging out here? eek.gifsmile.gif

You gave your expert opinion which we appreciate so this must be an exciting place. biggrin.gif

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

post #1723 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Sorry to keep going on (again) but i have only had one lot of feedback on my pics.....also Joe disappeared?

He is having sex again. He recently got married again to a hottie.
post #1724 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Also guys I wanted to add that the Darbee also has a nice subtle dynamic-like iris type of effect that it adds as a result of playing the the luminance. As the Dr. explained in his online media, Darbee works by changing the luminance at the individual pixel level in a way that your eyes will find most pleasing. This is why certain parts of an image get a brightness boost (or cut) accordingly and can be seen in the screen shots folks have posted. So a nice result of this is there is some extra pop added that mimics in a way some of what comes from using a dynamic iris. As an example, the stars in a star field set against a pitch black sky have some more pop and vibrancy to them. In a way it reminds me of a gamma enhancement feature available on the Radiance (forget what they call it, Adaptive Gamma maybe?) except with the Radiance I liked what it did but it applied the gamma changes everywhere which then resulted in black crush. Whereas with the Darbee its like a very smart version of that (among other things) so you get its benefits without the drawbacks. Maybe an adaptive-adaptive gamma control. smile.gif

I am traveling so I don't have a Radiace handy. The function you are talking about is not proprietary to Lumagen. Itis in the Gennum chip they use for some of the functions they have. Much of the stuff in theLumagen is their own but they do use some stuff in the Gennum chip. The same (I think it's called adaptive contrast, not sure) function is in theplanarprojectors like the 8150 that use the same Gennum chp but the Planar adaptive contrast is a toggle off on vs an adjustable scale in the Lumagen.
post #1725 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Some of us don't much any more. Just come by to see how my statements are taken out of context and twisted every now and then.

For the record, my position is not that this processor is a bad thing. I have repeatedly discussed where I thought (based upon what I could find before one was avaliable to use) and now see that it is most useful IMO. The fact that I also discuss what I see are limitations and things that I don't like about it might make some uncomfortable. For that, I can only say, get over it. If anyone wants to discuss it further I am easy enough to find but it won't be here.

Like most other signal processing it has potential. There are times when I will use it. There are times when I will not because it enhances stuff that I don't want or don't think should be enhanced. The point of these discussions should be to learn more about when it is most useful and share what we find that we like and what we don't. It does not make one a troll to use critical thinking skills and ask tough questions. Frankly I thought that is what reviews were for. These days they are hardly more than thumbs up or down and some ad copy redux.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #1726 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 05:25 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

I guess. Just figured if someone was typing an entire paragraph convincing themselves (as well as attempting to convince others) as to why something is not good then why would they continue hanging out here? eek.gifsmile.gif

In all honesty who knows, maybe he lost the deal to be the distributor of darbee in the U.K and now he is bitter. eek.gif

Quote:
You gave your expert opinion which we appreciate so this must be an exciting place. biggrin.gif

Here to help biggrin.gif

Frank

post #1727 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:

Yes.
post #1728 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Yes.

So it can actually stay on 24/7 cool.gif

Frank

post #1729 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Mine doesn't have an on/off switch and the only way to turn it off is to pull the power....
It draws very little power (at least when the HDMI inputs are inactive).....less than 0.2A, or about 1W power dissipation.

Geof
post #1730 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I leave mine on all the time as well. smile.gif

post #1731 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

You seem like you are a nice guy and all because you are a one man army in this thread, but I dont see how you can make a point without first hand experience with the Darbee. I have been looking into this entire thread since it started and hearing the great things about the Darbee. But nothing said on this thread had me more convinced that the Darbee was really amazing than actually seeing it in person! It was far more than what I expected and still can not belive that for 269 dollars it imporves the picture as much as it does. If you have never seen the Darbee in person, how can you keep going by the few negative reviews on it? Then live by it and then swear by it? I dont understand why you are doing that and this is why this has been such a tough thread for you. But you hang around like a champ I must say.

Good day to you.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #1732 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Mine doesn't have an on/off switch and the only way to turn it off is to pull the power....
It draws very little power (at least when the HDMI inputs are inactive).....less than 0.2A, or about 1W power dissipation.

Quote:

I leave mine on all the time as well. smile.gif

Thank you.

Frank

post #1733 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

bump, would like to know also so when mine comes I don't have to ask the same question.

Mine does not flash and having followed the thread from the beginning, this is the first time I remember someone posting the problem. The original poster might try going into the settings menu and making changes there to see if that will fix it.
post #1734 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

From the manual. It is available online using the link below.

Quote:
5. The red LED will light up to indicate that the Darblet is receiving power. An internal green LED will blink once per second to indicate that the Darblet is working.
http://darbeevision.com/assets/documents/DarbeeVision%20Darblet%20User%20Guide%2020120426a.pdf
post #1735 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I have to power my Darblet off when I use my 3D projector on my Duo's second HDMI output. So I have a power strip with a switch so I can turn it off.
post #1736 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How annoying/bright are the led's on the device?
Are they visible from the front?
post #1737 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

Hello mate another Brit LOL. Seen your posts on AVForums and can't wait for the review, also i liked Phil Hinton's and Stuart Wright's posts on image fidelity in the Darblet thread over there and the fundimental principles behind it.smile.gif

Hi and I suppose 'Away the Lads'.

Been on this forum for some time now mostly on the Duo calibration threads.

You are right, I do seem to be getting the 'back up' of the traditionalists.

My crusade is to get Stuart and Phil to accept progress.
The Darbee may or may not be perfect in what it is trying to achieve but at least somebody has the vision to try something different.and there appears to be a market for it.
Once people get used to having one 'effect' I am certain there will be others.

I love to calibrate (as an amateur of course) and see no problem in having my PQ as close to standards as I can get it for brightness, contrast, gamma and all 6 colours then trying out different 'effects' to possibly further enhance my viewing experience.
I can see a BD in all its glory through my Oppo and Duo to my Display but maybe with an effects package this can be delivered to me in a different way without losing too much original accuracy?

Apologies if you are just 'winding up' the thread.
post #1738 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thoughts about POP Mode

I did a little more playing last night. As it turns out my various modes POP, HD, GAMING etc are working. I think the still frame I tested with previously just happened to be one where the differences were not easily noticed.

Anyway, as it turns out, I think POP can do a very good job. I had gone into my Darbee experience thinking POP mode it was not for serious viewing because it would be blown out etc. However I find that the picture is even cleaner/more focused-looking compared to HD mode. I was doing my testing around 43%. With Darbee off = bleh. With Darbee on HD 43% = very nice. With Darbee on POP 43% even better! It also makes the picture more dynamic. As I mentioned earlier, it also has a lot of similar characteristics to the adaptive gamma setting on the Radiance. It brightens certain areas and darkens others, effectively giving you a digital dynamic iris of sorts. However with the Lumagen value for this it is applied in such a way where you get an overly dark picture at times and some black crush. Whereas the Darbee in POP mode has a much better approach/algorithm which seems to give these same benefits but without the downsides.

I was torn a little bit, however, in using this mode because it does darken the picture a little and take the vibrancy out of some of the highlights. Yes I really liked how it not only gives extra dimenions to the picture but "cleans it up" Darbee style that much better. For now I settled on using GAME mode which seems to apply a little of this logic compared to HD mode, but far less than POP mode.

I would love to hear more about the opinions of others on POP mode, when/how often they use it and whether they share similar opinions on how it works for them.

Dr. Darbee and company - It would be great if you added another control where we could control the other variable(s) used that sets HD, GAME, and POP mode a part. For instance I would like to do something in between HD mode and POP mode. Someone earlier in the thread suggested that GAME mode was half way between HD and POP but IMO it is only a tiny bit different than HD mode. So imagine a slider or parameter of some kind that you could use to move the affect anywhere in between HD mode and GAME mode to taste. That would be amazing!
post #1739 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

So no ones Darblets green on/ off light continually flashes? Hmm, this doesn't sound promising.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #1740 of 8107 Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You can turn off all of the LED's via the Darbee menu.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page