AVS Forum banner

Darbee vision darblet

1M views 10K replies 1K participants last post by  mogrub 
#1 ·

Does anyone on the forum have one of these yet and if so, any impressions?

#129 ·
My unit arrived on Friday and I tried it out today on a couple of Blu Ray movies using my Epson 6010. I had good success with improving the image well past the 40% mark, though eventually I did begin to find it too intrusive. But, I was pleased with the results all the way up to about 60% or so using HD. Full Pop was impressive as well. It definitely adds a dimension that makes the image seem more like my old 3 chip DLP (Sim2 C3X). I'm planning on more experimentation, but my reference IRobot was pretty good and that's the one that I often use for such comparisons. My results match very well with the photos that Henrich3 posted. Connection was directly from the Monitor Out of my Pioneer Elite AVR via a 3' HDMI 1.4a cable === Darbee ==== 50' HDMI 1.4a ==== Epson 6010. Source was Oppo BD-93 into the AVR. Can't beat it for the price.

#130 ·
It's OK with the Darblet to let your hair down and enjoy what it can do and seems to have been designed to be able to do.....give the most depth ever and roundness from 2D source material. The people super worried about the pixels aren't going to know...it's OK.

I mentioned in another post about special moments in sports telecasting when we all of a sudden realize how good our equipment is again as we are watching a game somewhere from a really great signal from a dialed in production and truck.

The Fox Sports West signal for me tonight on Charter is super clean. I have great noise reduction but none is needed. Zero compression issues.

So heck with it I'm running with Darbee on Full Pop 120% with a lot of lumens from a just "UMR" calibrated RS50 on a 8.5' wide 2.8 Hi Power.

The beautiful blacks of the JVC and Staples seating area blacked out lighting, with the Laker gold and crisp colors of the court from some of the court side cameras is jaw dropping in its depth.

I think in some of the higher settings in Full Pop when you're going for the gusto with a clean signal while watching sports, the most obvious negative artifact I see is a lesser version of the old "clay face" effect in facial features as sometimes seen with noise reduction at higher levels on older equipment.

But that slight loss in facial detail of the players, when you are paying attention to the game is a small price to pay for the much greater roundness of the players and definitely enhanced depth. There is a look about high end court side cameras anyway....maybe the wide angle gives them so much depth. But with Full Pop on highest setting with Darbee tonight these camera shots are the most amazing I've ever seen with the Lakers on my setup.

Since I'm watching on time shift just came back in to say not sure what I see with faces but if anything on extreme settings I just seem to be aware of something there if looking for something. Like looking for rainbows on DLP. "Clay Face" isn't really accurate because sharpness is a side effect of going for the depth. And as said above it's no deal breaker anyway.

Edit: Dropped to 100 on full pop and settled there. Looks great.

#131 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 /forum/post/22013158

Darblet Hi Def mode, Level 40%:

My hand-held, auto-focus pictures don't really do the Darblet justice. Hopefully some competent photographers will post better images...

Sorry I must have been typing my question as you posted this! They have the same post time

#133 ·
I like the 40% on the screen shots. I agree even 80% looks like too much IMO.

I might have to get one of these myself.

#136 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k /forum/post/22018621

@ Ron - ok, you convinced me, I'm going to pick one up and give it shot based on all the positive feedback so far.

I'm curious how it looks with the RS55's e-shift.

I'm curious about that too Jason. Wow I just came in from theater to say how daylight Baseball looks made for high settings on Full Pop. The view from centerfield camera behind pitcher to home plate is always a great camera and that view from Dodgers / Rockies today at Dodger Stadium is awesome at 120 on Full Pop. Night baseball games are generally bright too. This is made for football the one NFL playoff game I had from 2011 and got to see with DVP before Tivo deleted it on me after specifically saying save.

I'll get together with Gotcha if he doesn't have a Darbee unit yet and is thinking about it and wants to see it with e-shift on his RS55. I think he is pretty close to me. I haven't even seen a 55 yet.

But Mike at AVS said Alan is running the 4K Barco (guessing upconverted?) with the Darblet and just took it from Mark. Perks of being owner.....

#137 ·
I couldn't resist getting one either. I just had my vw95 calibrated by umr and the difference is day and night. It's sharpness and contrast are superb. So I was a little skeptical that anything could improve it further but hearing some comments on the even sharper VW1000 that it was improved somewhat I figured that it was worth a try. Hopefully I can get this from the UPS guy who's been carrying it around since friday.

#138 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy /forum/post/22020847

I couldn't resist getting one either. I just had my vw95 calibrated by umr and the difference is day and night. It's sharpness and contrast are superb. So I was a little skeptical that anything could improve it further but hearing some comments on the even sharper VW1000 that it was improved somewhat I figured that it was worth a try. Hopefully I can get this from the UPS guy who's been carrying it around since friday.

let us know how you feel.

#139 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu /forum/post/22022797

let us know how you feel.

Just looped the Darblet in the chain, Oppo 83 , just calibrated by umr vw95, screen 1.1 91x51 , set it to HiDef to watch a Smallville BD episode. I never thought the newly calibrated pj could look any better in sharpness/contrast but indeed at 70% it is noticebly better in both. If the descriptive word 'richer' makes any sense in comparing with and without the Darblet. Since I'm not technically inclined and have no measurement equipment it would be misleading for me to try quantify further. Going higher I did get distracted by noise in faces with any motion as it approached 100. I'm on the 4 or the 5th episode of season 8 and I know how these episodes look, even the Demo mode doesn't let you fully appreciate the total visual impact improvement. It more or less distracted me comparing left and right side, improvements were visible, but once in HiDef and just watching it was beautiful. To me this little investment has me sitting comfortably without the itch to upgrade to the first 4K laser pj out the gates.

#140 ·
Has anyone used this on a DLP projector?

I only ask as I have seen the RS-40 and I would consider the image softer than on a DLP. I have an LED DLP (Runco Q-750) and I do not want to add this if I am going to have an over sharpened image even at low settings.

Thanks

#141 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler /forum/post/22023331

Has anyone used this on a DLP projector?

I only ask as I have seen the RS-40 and I would consider the image softer than on a DLP. I have an LED DLP (Runco Q-750) and I do not want to add this if I am going to have an over sharpened image even at low settings.

Your profile says that you're in the Denver area. If so, send me a PM & you can try out mine...

#144 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/22023514

I'd still like to see impressions of some calibrators. Someone like Chad B., umr, or D-Nice would be welcome additions to this conversation.

This was posted a couple pages back by UMR same day 3 hours later last Monday after he touched up my RS50 on a 2.8 HP screen and spending an hour straight with the Darblet remote and JVC remote, comparing what DVP could do vs the lesser quality effect of the Detail and Sharpness controls of the projector. He actually said a considerable amount of very positive things about it beyond even what's in his brief write up while working on the road. He also said he would be buying one.

And understand he is talking only 5/10/15 setting on Hi Def with some of his reference BR discs. There is so much more here in other types of viewing and material as well beyond his very conservative approach with Bluray movies.

High end commercials I'm noticing now on sports telecasts are a "trip" sometimes with the aggressive settings in Full Pop I'm usually running with those if the signal is clean.

umr

AV Consultant

AVS GOLD CLUB MEMBER

I just worked on a system with one of these today. I think many would find it to be a valuable product to use.

My observations are here. http://homecinemaguru.com/?p=1909

W. Jeff Meier

Projection Screen Materials Review

Blog with AV observations and system advice.

AV Calibration & Design using Photo Research PR-670 & Sencore SP495 /w Class I microphone

#146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu /forum/post/22023496

seems like overwhelming, everyone is pleased with their device. I guess I will place my order online with AVS later this week!

Mine should be here soon, I'll post impressions in the shoot-out thread with the Sony HW30, JVC RS55 and the BQ W7000 (with 1:1 mapping fixed in the firmware)