Darbee vision darblet - Page 79 - AVS Forum
First ... 77  78  79 80  81  ... Last
Video Processors > Darbee vision darblet
henrich3's Avatar henrich3 08:27 AM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummermitchell View Post

Henric3,how do you find the Darblet with the RS-60,is she quite a step up up.
I have the rs-60 also and ordered the darblet last week,THX.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Zombie's pictures a few posts back are representative of what it can do. My set-and-forget setting is HD 40%. The Darbee Off setting looks a bit out of focus compared to having it on. Let us know what you think after you've had a chance to play with it.

buzzard767's Avatar buzzard767 09:10 AM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgar View Post

If you can get this at the original price, do so now! If you have to pay the new price, do so now, it is still a great purchase!
Tony.

Check Amazon. 19 left from an authorized dealer.
dreaux's Avatar dreaux 09:31 AM 08-18-2012
Just got my Darbee yesterday and am quite happy with it. I seem to prefer HD at 55%. Adding more tends to make the picture have some hard edges and is not really improving the picture IMO.

I am running a Yamaha RX-A2010 ...to Darbee ....to an Elite PRO-70X5. Seem to see more difference with a higher quality sources like Blu-ray. In this case LOTR. On Directv HD not as much. I suppose I can increase the Darbee effect with that.

Is anyone running the Darbee with a DVDO iScan Duo? I am thinking of getting one and am curious if it worth the money to go that route.
Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z 10:03 AM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5298 View Post

I understand that screenshots don't tell the whole story, but if he is using the same camera settings and taking one picture after the other you would think that the way the image on the screen looks to the eye would be duplicated by the camera. Or at least the camera wouldn't change the way her face looks from one shot to the next if he took 2 pictures of the identical image. If so then he is changing a setting in the camera or not standing at the same distance from one shot to the next. It may not change the colors, but the contrast is definitely changed based on those shots.

You don't take a lot of photos, do you? Any number of factors could cause the two shots to come out differently. Perhaps he took them a few minutes apart and the light in the room changed? Perhaps his camera caught an odd reflection in one shot but not the other? Perhaps it's not a very good camera and has an inconsistent CMD sensor?

This thread is filled with hundreds of user reports that confirm that the Darblet does not change the color values in the image. You can choose to listen to all of us who've actually used the product not, but basing your objection solely on some photos that were taken by pointing a camera at the screen is only doing yourself a disservice.
sjschaff's Avatar sjschaff 11:48 AM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgar View Post

I have used the Darbee for a few days now , I have to say I am very happy with my purchase.
Honestly, $260 to improve perceived pic quality by my estimate 10 to 30%, depending on the source, is probably the best bargain that I ever got in my theater.
Think about it, if you shop and find the best $3000,00 PJ that you can buy, how much better would the best $3500 pj be? Probably a slight incremental improvement at best.
It is normally a dimishing return on investment. In most technology it is this way.
A company like Monster Cable for instance was built on the concept of trying to make whatever electronc purchase you made perform better. People spend a lot of money on cables ect. to try to make their $2000. system perform like the $5000 system they would have bought if they could have afforded it. In most cases there is probably little or no perceivable difference with new cables over any other decent and less expensive one. Not including any placebo effect

When I went from a DLP pj to my JVC, I did so because I decided that deeper blacks were more important to me than the higher sharpness and pop the the DLP had.
I was happy with the JVC on the whole even with that trade-off . I am not saying that I did not miss those attributes of the DLP, I did, but the blacks were just more important to me.
Darbee has closed the gap in sharpness and pop for me, I can now have my cake and eat it too!
If you can get this at the original price, do so now! If you have to pay the new price, do so now, it is still a great purchase!
Tony.

I've used CRT and DLP and then LCD in the past, and finally did LCOS first with Sony Ruby and now with JVC. I agree with your assessment. As others have noted, it seems less about sharpness and more about making the image more three dimensional. And I've found, as have others, the better the source material the more you can take from the algorithm. On the other hand, the older, though well transferred, material cannot be pushed too far - old B&W especially suffers from too much Darbee. I can go with a 50 Full Pop with over the air HDTV if well produced. The kind of jump in apparent "performance" is sort of like my recent experience doubling memory and replacing my boot disk with an SSD. Makes an older system really fly.
tolax's Avatar tolax 01:42 PM 08-18-2012
Can anyone confirm if the Comcast issue is resolved? My chain is Motorola DCH3416 (Comcast) or Revo 3600 (XBMC) or Sony S590 (Blu-ray) -->HDMI-->Denon 2312-->HDMI-->60GT50 Panasonic Plasma.

Picture on the HD Cable seems a little soft and of course you have the joys of Comcast HD compression being highlighted on the big screen

I was thinking of putting the Darbee on the link between the Denon and Plasma but searching shows several people having issues with the Comcast handshaking.

Any views on whether this is going to work/show an improvement on the cable signal (and yes I appreciate I'm trying to create a silk purse from a sow's ear) smile.gif

Thanks

Tolax
Robert Clark's Avatar Robert Clark 01:56 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Check Amazon. 19 left from an authorized dealer.

One less now... ;-)
Jay5298's Avatar Jay5298 04:27 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You don't take a lot of photos, do you? Any number of factors could cause the two shots to come out differently. Perhaps he took them a few minutes apart and the light in the room changed? Perhaps his camera caught an odd reflection in one shot but not the other? Perhaps it's not a very good camera and has an inconsistent CMD sensor?
This thread is filled with hundreds of user reports that confirm that the Darblet does not change the color values in the image. You can choose to listen to all of us who've actually used the product not, but basing your objection solely on some photos that were taken by pointing a camera at the screen is only doing yourself a disservice.

Just trying to be objective, and gather as much information as I can before I decide to buy one of these.
Ronomy's Avatar Ronomy 04:35 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:

Just trying to be objective, and gather as much information as I can before I decide to buy one of these.

Dude just buy one and be happy! The result is amazing...order one before the price goes up and be happy! I ordered a second for my 3D projector...they are that amazing!
dreaux's Avatar dreaux 04:39 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:

The photos on post #2283 are an excellent example of what the Darbee does. There is no color shift, just a change in detail/sharpness.

I am using the Darbee. Got mine from Solid Signal. They had 22 left, not sure now though.
buzzard767's Avatar buzzard767 04:44 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

The photos on post #2283 are an excellent example of what the Darbee does. There is no color shift, just a change in detail/sharpness.
I am using the Darbee. Got mine from Solid Signal. They had 22 left, not sure now though.

jwv651's Avatar jwv651 05:11 PM 08-18-2012
Count me in! I just ordered mine from Amazon, Solid Signal is their seller. So it goes from my Denon receiver hdmi out to my epson 6010. Sounds simply.
AV Science Sales 4's Avatar AV Science Sales 4 05:48 PM 08-18-2012
Solid Signal has 15 available when I just checked. I have heard that Darbeevision was curtailingits dealers from selling on Amazon.
jwv651's Avatar jwv651 05:52 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Count me in! I just ordered mine from Amazon, Solid Signal is their seller. So it goes from my Denon receiver hdmi out to my epson 6010. Sounds simply.
It looks to be 15 left on Amazon
BrolicBeast's Avatar BrolicBeast 05:56 PM 08-18-2012
Video of my Darbee Darblet First Impressions. I love it. Should watch in HD on a decently sized monitor for the effect to be noticable.

It's difficult to see the subtle changes in the Battle: Los Angeles clip, but seeing the changes in the Planet Earth clip is much easier.
millerwill's Avatar millerwill 05:57 PM 08-18-2012

Had eye surgery last week but am now somewhat back in action.   (My updated Darb came back from Darbee several days ago but am just now able to check it out.)

First, my config:   Sources (Comcast dvr, or Sony 790 BD player) => Onk 3008 AVR (pass through) => RadianceMini => Darb => Sony 1000ES pj.  

Second, as l'dvd first reported, I see the magenta flashes when I change between SD and HD channels (but not between 720p and 1080i HD channels) if I output 444 or 422 from the Radiance to the Darb.    If I output RGB from the Radiance to the Darb, there are no magenta flashes and the switching is much smoother and quicker.

Since the latest info is that the Darb's internal working is in RGB--and since I can't perceive any PQ difference between send 444, 422, or RGB out of the Radiance--I've settled on sending RGB out from it.    This way only the Radiance has to do color space conversions, and the Darb presumably has to do none.     The Sony pj seems able to be able to accept any color space with equal (to my eye) PQ.

WiFi-Spy's Avatar WiFi-Spy 06:51 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:

Just got my Darbee yesterday and am quite happy with it. I seem to prefer HD at 55%. Adding more tends to make the picture have some hard edges and is not really improving the picture IMO.

I am running a Yamaha RX-A2010 ...to Darbee ....to an Elite PRO-70X5. Seem to see more difference with a higher quality sources like Blu-ray. In this case LOTR. On Directv HD not as much. I suppose I can increase the Darbee effect with that.

Is anyone running the Darbee with a DVDO iScan Duo? I am thinking of getting one and am curious if it worth the money to go that route.

I am running the Darbee between my DVDO Duo and my Plasma.
dreaux's Avatar dreaux 07:22 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

I am running the Darbee between my DVDO Duo and my Plasma.

But does the DVDO Duo make an improvement?

Right right now I am running from my Yamaha AVR HDMI to the Darbee HDMI to my Elite Pro 70. What I was trying to figure out is if it is worth getting an additional VP like the DVDO duo to add to the video chain. Or is having just the Darbee alone in the video chain enough?

Would the difference in image quality be only negligible and therefore the DVDO not really worth the bang for the buck.
The VP in the Elite Pro 70 is quite good. But after seeing the Darbee I am wondering if there is even more I can tweak.
Jive Turkey's Avatar Jive Turkey 07:49 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolax View Post

Can anyone confirm if the Comcast issue is resolved? My chain is Motorola DCH3416 (Comcast) or Revo 3600 (XBMC) or Sony S590 (Blu-ray) -->HDMI-->Denon 2312-->HDMI-->60GT50 Panasonic Plasma.
Picture on the HD Cable seems a little soft and of course you have the joys of Comcast HD compression being highlighted on the big screen
I was thinking of putting the Darbee on the link between the Denon and Plasma but searching shows several people having issues with the Comcast handshaking.
Any views on whether this is going to work/show an improvement on the cable signal (and yes I appreciate I'm trying to create a silk purse from a sow's ear) smile.gif
Thanks
Tolax

I haven't heard any further word on what's being done to make it work with Comcast HD DVR's through receivers, a Pioneer THX-94 in my case. I took my DVR into the bedroom for now, as I'm not taking the Darbee out of my Bluray, HDDVD, HD D-Theater system. It's made my VW60 projector look like an upscale performer.
millerwill's Avatar millerwill 08:15 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I haven't heard any further word on what's being done to make it work with Comcast HD DVR's through receivers, a Pioneer THX-94 in my case. I took my DVR into the bedroom for now, as I'm not taking the Darbee out of my Bluray, HDDVD, HD D-Theater system. It's made my VW60 projector look like an upscale performer.

As noted above, I use my Comcast HD DVR, through an Onkyo 3008 AVR (pass through), to a Radiance, to Darblet, to projector (Sony1000), with no problems.

Jay5298's Avatar Jay5298 10:28 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Dude just buy one and be happy! The result is amazing...order one before the price goes up and be happy! I ordered a second for my 3D projector...they are that amazing!

Okay fine! One last question, are the units sold by amazon the new ones with the fixed color space issues?
Ronomy's Avatar Ronomy 10:42 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:

But does the DVDO Duo make an improvement?
Right right now I am running from my Yamaha AVR HDMI to the Darbee HDMI to my Elite Pro 70. What I was trying to figure out is if it is worth getting an additional VP like the DVDO duo to add to the video chain. Or is having just the Darbee alone in the video chain enough?
Would the difference in image quality be only negligible and therefore the DVDO not really worth the bang for the buck.
The VP in the Elite Pro 70 is quite good. But after seeing the Darbee I am wondering if there is even more I can tweak.

Unless your TV and or AVR has crappy scaling and deinterlacing and the color is over saturated on your TV requiring a color management system to fix it then you don't need a VP like a Duo or Lumagen. The AVR should give you the switching you need. Some of us have separate audio and video chains and we require switching of analog and digital video so we require VP's like this. I only got the Duo so I could correct the colors on my projector and required switching. The Duo has a lot of HDMI ports and analog video as well.
Ronomy's Avatar Ronomy 10:45 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:

Okay fine! One last question, are the units sold by amazon the new ones with the fixed color space issues?

Good question! I have no idea. I wonder if there is even anyway to find out.
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 11:20 PM 08-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Any number of factors could cause the two shots to come out differently. Perhaps he took them a few minutes apart and the light in the room changed? Perhaps his camera caught an odd reflection in one shot but not the other? Perhaps it's not a very good camera and has an inconsistent CMD sensor?

none of the above. cool.gif

folks have to read my post a little closer.

these are examples of the RS55 + Darbee with e-shift OFF and ON, clearly noted in each screen description. There are 4 'seating distance' photos of the girl, not 5. The 4th photo is boldly marked at 70% darbee. Of course it looks cooked. The point of including this photo - a pro-review site felt it was necessary to crank the Darbee to 'show' the readers how it looks. If someone knows how to take a 1/2 decent screen, it's quite easy to show the difference between the Darbee OFF vs. Darbee @ a moderate 30-35%.

FYI - No room lighting changes, photos taken within seconds of one another with just a single variable being changed between shots, all manual exposures w/ remote trigger. The Nikon D90 sensor is quite consistence between frames as I've demonstrated in the 3D mini-shootout thread.

none if this changes the fact that it still needs to be seen in person to judge if one likes it or not.
AV Science Sales 4's Avatar AV Science Sales 4 12:34 AM 08-19-2012
Quote:

Unless your TV and or AVR has crappy scaling and deinterlacing and the color is over saturated on your TV requiring a color management system to fix it then you don't need a VP like a Duo or Lumagen. The AVR should give you the switching you need. Some of us have separate audio and video chains and we require switching of analog and digital video so we require VP's like this. I only got the Duo so I could correct the colors on my projector and required switching. The Duo has a lot of HDMI ports and analog video as well.

You don't need anything. You can eliminate most everything and clearly above whatever $X one wants to specify anything more is not worth the bang for the buck.

Until you had a Lumagen for as many years as I have had and with numerous free upgrades and improvements many out there simply have no clue as to how it can be used to improve ones PQ on let's say very economic systems to top of the line high quality stuff. If it were a simple either or choice, I would have to pick the Lumagen over any one function processor but fortunately I don't have to choose. Almost every scaler out there for taking 720p to 1080p rings like a jewler beset by 10,000 women who just got engaged. Most deinterlacers are not designed to give the option of increased lines used for detail over sacrificial lines to achieve less comb filtering artifacts. Not to mention the very very soon coming ability to calibrate over 125 color points instead of the six color points plus black and white that we have currently used for calibration to what will imminently become an archaic way of calibrating. Look for the very soon to be immediate releases by Chromapure and Spectracal to employ the 125 point CMS targets that will be generated by the Lumagens and calibrated through automation. What's it gonna cost? Free by Lumagen and probably a $50 upgrade fee by Chromapure.

As to the question of whether the store on Amazon is offering the latest firmware, my guess would be yes or they would have done an Amazon offering far earlier. Of course maybe it doesn't have the Lumagen fix, just depends on exactly when they were shipped their order, but I am sure someone can call Dareevision to see exactly what that company got. And thanks to those who continue to support AVS by ordering them from us for Mid September shipment.
xplorar's Avatar xplorar 02:11 AM 08-19-2012
Quote:

Good question! I have no idea. I wonder if there is even anyway to find out.
Just ordered one from Amazon. I hope it does has new firmware. When units were recalled by company for firmware update, I hope they did that existing Solid Signal stock too.
buzzard767's Avatar buzzard767 05:24 AM 08-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Not to mention the very very soon coming ability to calibrate over 125 color points instead of the six color points plus black and white that we have currently used for calibration to what will imminently become an archaic way of calibrating. Look for the very soon to be immediate releases by Chromapure and Spectracal to employ the 125 point CMS targets that will be generated by the Lumagens and calibrated through automation.

Ohhh. Cat's out of the bag. I knew they were up to something. 1D or 3D LUTs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post

Just ordered one from Amazon. I hope it does has new firmware. When units were recalled by company for firmware update, I hope they did that existing Solid Signal stock too.

Only 13 left....
xplorar's Avatar xplorar 06:07 AM 08-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Only 13 left....
Actually, I am surprised that 13 are still left. I expected all of the Amazon stock to vanish within few hours
rothsss's Avatar rothsss 07:18 AM 08-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post

The Darblet that I received from Solid Signal two days ago has Software Version 2.8.2214 and Firmware Version 1.3.21.
gene9p's Avatar gene9p 07:36 AM 08-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothsss View Post

The Darblet that I received from Solid Signal two days ago has Software Version 2.8.2214 and Firmware Version 1.3.21.

mine has the latest too from SS ordered through Amazon.com...also arrived Friday
Tags: Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor
First ... 77  78  79 80  81  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop