Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #211 of 8397 Old 05-18-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Does the Darblet connect directly to your projector or in between source and receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 8397 Old 05-18-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

zombie, did you get yours and what's your take?

I'm guessing zombie, like me, has reserved a unit but we are awaiting AVS to receive their next shipment of devices. After which we should have a new wave of user reports.
post #213 of 8397 Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 80
A couple more split-screen shots for your enjoyment -

My preference is to use a lower level (~ 40%) for a more subtle effect. The higher levels make it easier to see the effect in a low rez screen shot however, so there you go...
post #214 of 8397 Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This looks so much like the "MPC" processing effect on the new JVC projectors (at least from the screen shots and Darbee web site video demos I've seen).
post #215 of 8397 Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I'm guessing zombie, like me, has reserved a unit but we are awaiting AVS to receive their next shipment of devices. After which we should have a new wave of user reports.

Counting on it! Rich and Zombie!
post #216 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

A couple more split-screen shots for your enjoyment -

My preference is to use a lower level (~ 40%) for a more subtle effect. The higher levels make it easier to see the effect in a low rez screen shot however, so there you go...

I feel the lower pic is less of a good example because it looks to me the RH side of the face (LH on the pic ) is out of focus, and the focus is clearly on the wound...
The upper pic shows some improvement I must say...
post #217 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 AM

I'm not sure about the Darblet...
It is NOT cheap in my book...
I wonder if the same results could be reached by careful tweaking a scaler's sharpness controls?
Has any Darblet owner gone that route before buying the unit?
post #218 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

This looks so much like the "MPC" processing effect on the new JVC projectors (at least from the screen shots and Darbee web site video demos I've seen).

For those of use not fimilar wth the JVC MPC can you explain?

thanks

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #219 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
How does this compare to Sony's Reality Creation Engine on the 4K home projector? Has anyone compared the 2 on the Sony with BD material?
post #220 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

For those of use not fimilar wth the JVC MPC can you explain?

thanks

It seems to be similar to Sony's "reality creation" processing, where it makes the image look sharper and more detailed and dimensional, without typical ringing. I'm not sure anyone has nailed down precisely what the MPC processing is doing. However, what it seems to do is increase the contrast within fine detail, much like the Darbee (though I presume it's not the same processing). The idea is I think that the reprocessing of the image up to 4K pixels allows processing of this type - somehow using the extra pixel count - to avoid the ringing that necessarily happens with sharpening up regular 1080p pixel resolution.

There are MPC settings from 1-3. As you dial up the image, the sense of fine contrast, like an increasing MTF, makes the image look sharper, more detailed and it's like a gamma thing is happening, the image starts popping more and looks more dimensional. It's a significant difference vs having the settings off.

The drawback, as with any of these detail enhancing solutions, is that the more you turn it up you can start to see some issues - the highest "3" setting can make film grain more objectionable to some people. I like it between 1 and 2, though sometimes even lower when I want more of a film look.
post #221 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i'd say it gives similar results to reality creation on bd ...sharper appearence
post #222 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Videophiles, you are in for a treat!

AVATAR with DARBLET in the OPPO93 output HDMI in both 2D or 3D; especially the jungle scenes with all the vegetation, equipment and 'people' in it, are immersive and totally impressive.

Some of the scenes that look their absolute best are in the 40 Mbps range.(generally, the highest bit rate for Blu-Ray double sided).

I am using the DARBLET at 50 to 80% in 'POP', 'Game' or 'HD' modes, on the 120 inch, 1.3 screen (with the Epson 5010 and OPPO 93 input).

It's a revelation finding what is in the scene and on the film and never displayed with this emphasis before.

It's hard for me to not sound like a salesman for DARBEE. Sorry, can't help it.

...and I thought AVATAR was an outstanding, wonderfully detailed film before adding this little gadget!

gil
post #223 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend View Post

I wonder if the same results could be reached by careful tweaking a scaler's sharpness controls?
Has any Darblet owner gone that route before buying the unit?

I have a Lumagen Radiance VP which has several different ways to enhance sharpness without creating any ringing effects. You can also increase detail in interlaced sources. Those have been adjusted to improve PQ for each input and native resolution from that input. I think all other owners of external VPS will have done the same thing. The Darbee adds depth and detail over and above what the VP can provide. "Cheap" is literally in the eyes of the beholder in this case. I consider the improved PQ to be well worth the price.
post #224 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What is your bar for "cheap?"

Are you familiar with how expensive video processors tend to be and how inexpensive this device is in those terms?

If you just don't like the idea of spending over $200 on anything, then nothing will be "cheap." A Ferrari won't be "cheap" at $250 if one is only saying they don't have $250 to easily spend. But in relative terms, the type of image quality increase you get for the money seems like a huge bargain. People spend many thousands of dollars on VPs an upgrading projectors looking for just the type of benefits ascribed to the Darbee unit.

I'll wait for my own judgement on it, personally. But it's clear this unit has already got owners feeling they were handed a major bargain.
post #225 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The price of a product includes much more than the cost of components. The development cost, testing, support, profit and so many other things play a part. This will not be a mass consumer item so one must expect to pay more. Other video processors are much more expensive and for me it is worth the risk. Buying cheap is not always the way to go. I learned this many times in the past.
post #226 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Personally, I wish Lumagen can just incorporate this to their product line, then I do not need to buy 2 (as I have a plasma and a PJ), or get a 2x1 + 1x2 HDMI switch...
Well, $250 do sound cheap, considering that a cable can easily cost more than that in this hobby
post #227 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I agree with the above statements. Cheap is a relative term and I don't want to part with money anymore than the next person but what does $250.00 by today? A nice dinner and a show. At this price I consider the Darblet a true bargain.
post #228 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

I agree with the above statements. Cheap is a relative term and I don't want to part with money anymore than the next person but what does $250.00 by today? A nice dinner and a show. At this price I consider the Darblet a true bargain.

Mad Magazine used to cost 25 cents in the '60's and 60 cents in the 70's, if I recall without going in the other room to check. I saw it on the newstand today and it said "$5.95...Cheap!". How's that for using intellectual source material to make a point!

$250 doesn't buy a whole lot anymore, and for the most of us, wages haven't kept up with the cost of living. But in the audio/video game these days, significant improvements can typically cost a whole lot more. This Darbee Do-Dad could turn out to be one heck of a bargain. Time will tell.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #229 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Boy lots of rave reviews for this! Can't wait to try one! :-)
post #230 of 8397 Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing regarding the MPC settings. I'm curious how this is going to work with the e-shift.

hopefully AVS will get their stock late next week.
post #231 of 8397 Old 05-20-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:

What is your bar for "cheap?"

Are you familiar with how expensive video processors tend to be and how inexpensive this device is in those terms?

If you just don't like the idea of spending over $200 on anything, then nothing will be "cheap." A Ferrari won't be "cheap" at $250 if one is only saying they don't have $250 to easily spend. But in relative terms, the type of image quality increase you get for the money seems like a huge bargain. People spend many thousands of dollars on VPs an upgrading projectors looking for just the type of benefits ascribed to the Darbee unit.

I'll wait for my own judgement on it, personally. But it's clear this unit has already got owners feeling they were handed a major bargain.

Dsinger commented that he saw improvement over his scaler.
That's good.
I am familiar with scalers: own a VP50, a VP50Pro, an Edge and even a Crystalio, so it's safe to say I did a lot of tweaking over the years...
The way this Darblet is marketed and how it looks shouts "Snakeoil" to me...
On the other hand, this thread wouldn't be so long with many enthusiastic comments if it was a scam...
So I think I'm going to get me one...
post #232 of 8397 Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's good.
I am familiar with scalers: own a VP50, a VP50Pro, an Edge and even a Crystalio, so it's safe to say I did a lot of tweaking over the years...
On the other hand, this thread wouldn't be so long with many enthusiastic comments if it was a scam...

I was also worried that it was Snake oil but I will also give it a try because of this thread. It will be interesting to see if it really works. I would really like to see what Zombie thinks of it and tests it.
post #233 of 8397 Old 05-20-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

That's good.

I am not an expert on Video, as compared to a few here.. but I also have experience with owning scalers - starting with a Faroudja (11 years ago) with a CRT 9" CRT.. and next/now, the Sony Qualia 004. This is no snake oil. This offers amazing value.. Some seem to worry about it being a snake oil product because of its low price.. This one of the few benchmark products for video.. a product which exceed my expectations.. I won't be surprised if soon, TVs and projectors would include this as built in.
btw, as some of you might have found out, this is on back order. I ordered two more and Mike of avssales said he will ship end of this week..
post #234 of 8397 Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

Some seem to worry about it being a snake oil product because of its low price.

The price doesn't bother me. I worry that this is snakeoil because traditionally this kind of sharpening produces artifacts and degrades the picture, not the other way around. Fortunately, some very respectable people have provided a voice of support for this product. That's the best way to assuage my concerns.
post #235 of 8397 Old 05-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:

That's good.

This is an enthusiastic comment from a AVS Forum user who is quite happy with DVP in line with scaler technology. Give AVS a call to order yours.
-DD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=197
post #236 of 8397 Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't wait to try it. The posts seem to show that it really works. I never though it was Snake Oil because of the price but I have seen too many products that don't live up to expectations.
post #237 of 8397 Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

That's good.

I think especially those who own VPs , would be extremely skeptical that anything between the significantly more expensive VP and the display can make any real improvements with no to minimal artifacts or even worsen some of the finely tuned VP adjustments. Those of us who don't use any processing except what the source player / avr/ display is adjusted to do probably felt what the heck , it ain't cheap, but it may be improve what I got and it doesn't require calibrating skills or expensive measuring equipment to use as VPs do to get the most out of them. I am quite delighted in the improvements which surprised me, because I just had my vw95 calibrated by umr, and the picture was stunning, but this little devil punched it up several notches that I would have not thought there were any higher notches.
post #238 of 8397 Old 05-20-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

A few question for DrDarbee. 1. Would be be better to calibrate a projector before or after one installs the unit? 2. What effect does the Darblet have on a previously calibration projector or set?
post #239 of 8397 Old 05-21-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

A few question for DrDarbee. 1. Would be be better to calibrate a projector before or after one installs the unit? 2. What effect does the Darblet have on a previously calibration projector or set?

1. Our mantra is..."Make the best picture fidelity that you can, then process with DVP." Great in...sublime out.

2. Calibrate with instruments to achieve the desired fidelity factors for your display hardware. Then add DVP and calibrate with your eyes. At that point your color calibration (by instruments) should confirm that we don't change the hue, your eyes/brain will confirm if you like the luminance of each pixel.
-DD
post #240 of 8397 Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
a video game related question: what's the processing delay of the Darblet ? And is the processing delay reduced to ZERO with all processing disabled, but the Darblet still in line ?
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page