HDMI to Component breakout question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an 8 year old Pioneer PDP503CMX plasma TV with an Aurora TVP-1000 card (1080i) in it. Nice setup in it's day. The TV will obviously will not accept HDMI input, but it still puts out an outstanding 1080i picture. My DVD, DirectTV and PC are all running through a good, analog Marantz A/V receiver purchased at the same time as the TV. No HDMI inputs on the Marantz box either.

Recently, I have been looking at HDMI-to-Component breakout boxes that purport to pass through a 1080i signal through to the component breakout cables.

I am trying to squeeze another couple of years out of my setup, because (a) it still puts out great picture/sound and (b) I don't want to do an expensive cabinetry/cabling remodel.

Question: If I run a Blu-Ray DVD player's HDMI output through a breakout box and into my AV receiver via component cables, which subsequently feed to the plasma TV via component cables, will I see any improvement in signal/picture at all over my current standard def DVD player?

Feedback greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Of course you will. Your plasma has basically HDReady resolution (768p) and that's what is still sold today (in cheaper plasma sets). It will look way better than DVD.

Intead of getting a HDCP Decryptor (HDMI to component) you could get an older 2nd hand BD player which still allows true 1080i output through component.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Liked: 32
Not really. Your DVD's will still be dvd's, and will look as grainy as VHS. Especially if you watch the movies stretched out and filling the whole screen, vs. letterbox. You are better off getting a BD and ditching the old school DVD, since the BD will upscale the DVDs to 720p/1080i, or as I do, upscale them to 1080p.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Well that makes things clear as mud. "Yes it will and no it won't".

But seriously, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. The older BD suggestion may be the way to go. Presumably the Blu-Ray DVD's will scale better in an older BD, even without the HDMI feed.

Anyone else care to weigh in?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 396
A Blu-ray player's HDMI output transmits an encyrpted signal. To convert that to analog Component Video, the "breakout" device will need to defeat the encryption, which is a violation of the DMCA. Such devices do exist, but we can't discuss them here. A breakout device that doesn't defeat the encryption will be essentially useless for what you want.

Someone suggested finding an older blu-ray player that still transmits high definition through the Component outputs. That will only work for Blu-ray discs. All Blu-ray players since the beginning have been prohibited from upconverting DVDs over Component, due to an idiotic requirement of the DVD licensing agreement.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 7 Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I have an old Pioneer PDP-4330HD 768p (about the same gen as yours I think, yours is an Elite?) and HDMI-DVI adaptor works directly from BDP or via DVDO Edge, with or without the media box. The second cable from media box to plasma isn't needed to show the picture. It will accept up to 1080i60.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 01:49 AM

Liked: 11
You just need a HDfury , now you can even add 3D
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page