Is the Mini3D worth $500 more than the DVDO Duo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning on buying one of these VPs in the very near future and am trying to decide if the Mini3D would be worth $500 more to me or not. The VP chosen will be used in the following system:

Panasonic AR100u projector (starter projector and I know VP will be more)
120 inch, 16:9 Elunevision fixed screen with 1.4 gain
Panasonic BDT 220 Bluray player
Onkyo tx-nr808 AVR (use for switching right now)
Calman or Chromapure with Autocal calibration software (not decided yet)
50% day and 50% night viewing in non light controlled room
60% HDTV (Cable), 20% HDTV sports, 20% Bluray Movies, 0% SD

I don't mind making the investment in a better VP since I consider this a long term purchase but I want to get something extra out for the money.

Maybe I should forgo the VP all together and just do manual calibration?

What do you think? Mini3D, Duo, or nothing?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiraclejr View Post

I am planning on buying one of these VPs in the very near future and am trying to decide if the Mini3D would be worth $500 more to me or not. The VP chosen will be used in the following system:

Panasonic AR100u projector (starter projector and I know VP will be more)
120 inch, 16:9 Elunevision fixed screen with 1.4 gain
Panasonic BDT 220 Bluray player
Onkyo tx-nr808 AVR (use for switching right now)
Calman or Chromapure with Autocal calibration software (not decided yet)
50% day and 50% night viewing in non light controlled room
60% HDTV (Cable), 20% HDTV sports, 20% Bluray Movies, 0% SD

I don't mind making the investment in a better VP since I consider this a long term purchase but I want to get something extra out for the money.

Maybe I should forgo the VP all together and just do manual calibration?

What do you think? Mini3D, Duo, or nothing?

Thanks.

The Mini doesn't support enough inputs for me although a monoprice hdmi switcher is cheap enough. If you want analog video and digital audio switching then you need something different. The Duo fits the bill quite nicely. If you need a cms for 3D video then the mini would be great for that. So it really depends on what you need it for.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
It is to me. After researching both I decided on the Mini mainly because of the support. I'm not sure if it's gotten any better but then DVDO was said to have poor support and infrequent firmware updates for bug fixes. Lumagen is very vigilant with their support of the Radiance line.
Another thing is 3D support. Even though I don't use it it's there if needed.

Mike

post #4 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The big difference is 3D support. If you don't plan to use it for 3D the Duo-Iscan is very good and you will have many inputs. The CMS can not be used for 3D on the Duo but it can be used on the Mini. The Duo will only pass 3d through. With the projector you are using the Duo would be fine and you can put the extra money to a projector upgrade in the future.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

It is to me. After researching both I decided on the Mini mainly because of the support. I'm not sure if it's gotten any better but then DVDO was said to have poor support and infrequent firmware updates for bug fixes. Lumagen is very vigilant with their support of the Radiance line.
Another thing is 3D support. Even though I don't use it it's there if needed.

I think your Onkyo has video processing built in. I hope you can bypass it to benefit from the Mini. You already have video switching so a Mini is better for you. Duo is overkill in the switching department. I use an audio only Meridian preamp so I needed the switching.

As far as support I never needed it. The Duo has been rock solid plus I can use it for two projectors in my setup.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 PM

Liked: 20
I would choose the Mini if for no other reason than the ring free scaling of 720p to 1080p. a must for those who watch ESPN sports.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I have never seen the newer Lumagen VP's in action but the ring free scaling in the HDQ yielded a soft image. The resolution boost when I got my Duo was major on 720p and 1080i. Even 1080p/24p passthru is much sharper. I would love to try a mini tho someday.

Ron
post #8 of 14 Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 PM

The enhancement settings, on the Radiance video processors, are turned off by default. We do this to provide the best, artifact free, film-like image.

To change the enhancement settings, press "Menu, Input, Video Setup, [resolution], Enhance". There are controls for sharpness, noise reduction and adaptive contrast. Our customers report excellent results, using the Radiance enhancement settings, for watching sports. Adding some sharpness can also make it easier to read the embedded subtitles in a movie.

Randy Freeman
Lumagen
post #9 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

I have never seen the newer Lumagen VP's in action but the ring free scaling in the HDQ yielded a soft image. The resolution boost when I got my Duo was major on 720p and 1080i. Even 1080p/24p passthru is much sharper. I would love to try a mini tho someday.

Ron

I can assure you the Lumagen Radiance series gives a very sharp image. No problems there at all. There might have been some issues many, many firmware revisions ago but not now and not recently. I have owned or used several DVDO products up to and including the VP50 Pro and the Radiance is superior in virtually every way IMO. I gave up on DVDO after several issues went unresolved, and jumped on the Lumagen Radiance bandwagon during its initial beta release and have never regretted that decision. I have no experience with the later DVDO models, but I own a Lumagen HDQ and there is no sharpness problem if the display can be set up in pixel to pixel mode. I've never known the scaling to cause softness. If the display doesn't allow the HDQ to drive it in a pixel perfect mode, then picture softness can result. All just my opinion, of course.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

I can assure you the Lumagen Radiance series gives a very sharp image. No problems there at all. There might have been some issues many, many firmware revisions ago but not now and not recently. I have owned or used several DVDO products up to and including the VP50 Pro and the Radiance is superior in virtually every way IMO. I gave up on DVDO after several issues went unresolved, and jumped on the Lumagen Radiance bandwagon during its initial beta release and have never regretted that decision. I have no experience with the later DVDO models, but I own a Lumagen HDQ and there is no sharpness problem if the display can be set up in pixel to pixel mode. I've never known the scaling to cause softness. If the display doesn't allow the HDQ to drive it in a pixel perfect mode, then picture softness can result. All just my opinion, of course.

If you don't see a softer image comparing your Radiance and your HDQ that tells me the Radiance is softer. I am talking about fine detail in the image. It's not overly soft with the HDQ but was noticable how much sharper Avatar looked through my Duo.

I have not had one problem with the Duo over the past two years. I owned earlier DVDO VP's before I had the HDQ. Don't get me wrong I still liked the HDQ when I had it. Just noticed it was a lot sharper when I got the Duo and my JVC projector does 1:1 pixel maping
post #11 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I would agree that the Radiance's image is softer than that of the later DVDO units. That was actually my only major complain about the Lumagen series. The reason behind it is that the enhancement features in the Radiance are done before scaling, while the DVDO's detail and edge enhancement is done after the scaling. Chaining a Radiance (for scaling) and a DVDO (for detail and edge enhancement on the already scaled picture) delivers breathtakingly good image quality.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

I would agree that the Radiance's image is softer than that of the later DVDO units. That was actually my only major complain about the Lumagen series. The reason behind it is that the enhancement features in the Radiance are done before scaling, while the DVDO's detail and edge enhancement is done after the scaling. Chaining a Radiance (for scaling) and a DVDO (for detail and edge enhancement on the already scaled picture) delivers breathtakingly good image quality.

Would the Darblet achieve the same thing?

Mike

post #13 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

If you don't see a softer image comparing your Radiance and your HDQ that tells me the Radiance is softer. I am talking about fine detail in the image. It's not overly soft with the HDQ but was noticable how much sharper Avatar looked through my Duo.

I have not had one problem with the Duo over the past two years. I owned earlier DVDO VP's before I had the HDQ. Don't get me wrong I still liked the HDQ when I had it. Just noticed it was a lot sharper when I got the Duo and my JVC projector does 1:1 pixel maping

We can agree to disagree here. I maintain the Radiance is sharp. I am judging sharpness on my Sim2 C3X and Sim2 MICO 50 and now Sim2 HT5000E, all of which are sharper than the JVC. I have calibrated a few JVC's so I am familiar with their image. I'm also talking about fine detail in the image as well as various resolution test patterns.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

We can agree to disagree here. I maintain the Radiance is sharp. I am judging sharpness on my Sim2 C3X and Sim2 MICO 50 and now Sim2 HT5000E, all of which are sharper than the JVC. I have calibrated a few JVC's so I am familiar with their image. I'm also talking about fine detail in the image as well as various resolution test patterns.

Just making a point the HDQ isn't as sharp as a Duo. Then you said you didn't think it lacked sharpness so it appeared you compared to the Radiance. Sooo that told me the Radiance isn't as sharp as a Duo. That's all. Just an observation. Why did you have to bring up projectors? Sorry if I touched a nerve.

Sim2's are nice. I've seen one in action. Don't get me wrong...I like Lumagen products. To me the Duo looked a lot better on my JVC...that's all.

Ron
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page