input source workaround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks. First time post. Not sure if this is the right place.
I am using a HTPC do some basic digital signage where the TV and computer both turn on and off at specfic times.

Problem: My Samsung lcd TV has an on/off timer that will only turn the TV on to a tuner source (air or cable channel) and not to a HDMI, composite or DVI source. Since my HTPC is reliant on HDMI (or DVI) output, I would like to know if anyone knows of a way to take it's HDMI output signal and send it/ convert it to something that the Samsung's tuner would understand- so I could make use of the on/off timer. Could a TV tuner card perform this function or maybe some kind of converter box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 PM

Sounds like you need an ATSC or Digital QAM modulator (I'm assuming you're in the USA). These are usually pretty pricey since they're intended for professional video distribution. The ZvBox from ZeeVee is one of the first that Google pulls up. You can probably get away with one of the cheaper models if that DVI connection of yours is DVI-I and can be fitted with a simple VGA adapter. You would run the sound separately from the PC's sound card.

I can think of only two cheaper solutions. One is feeding an NTSC signal into your TV's tuner instead of a digital one. You would need some sort of VGA/DVI to composite video converter device. These are much cheaper. Then you would simply tack on a cheap RF modulator that inserts your composite video and audio into analog channels 3 or 4. These are pretty cheap as well, or you can also use an old VCR since they all have one built in. The resulting video won't be anything close to the HDMI you're using now.

The last solution would be to rework how your TV switches on and off. Maybe there's a way to get a special remote control with a timer to turn your TV on and off for you instead of the built-in timer on the TV. This way you can always leave the TV on the HDMI input and it'll be on there every time the TV turns on. As I understand it, your TV timer can't simply turn on the TV but must also tune it to a channel. What's the model# of your TV?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The model number of my Samsung tv is UN55EH6000. I will look into the remote timer option because, as you stated, the digital QAM modulators are just too expensive. Also, since HD is a must for this project, I won't be able to use the cheaper solutions.

Worst case scenario I will return the Samsung, take the hit on the restocking fee, and get a pro signage monitor. I found a 55" LG for around $1300 which is around the same price as the Samsung- It just doesn't look as nice.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question!

Cheers
post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2012, 10:32 AM

I know this is a longshot, but maybe you can try updating the firmware on your TV. There's a super slim chance that they added more functionality to the timer. I don't understand why that timer is so limited. It seems like such a worthless feature to me, unless you can use any input.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page