Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I have a dedicated theater room with the following equipment:
JVC HD990 PROJECTOR
PIONEER ELITE SC-09TX RECIEVER
PIONEER ELITE BDP-09

I am thinking on buying a Radiance XE video processor and was wondering if its worth it or would I actually see a difference. I mainly watch Blue Ray movies and they out put at 1080p 24. Not sure but I know the VP in the projector and BD player are suppose to be good considering the price I paid (lol).

I have lots of experience in the hometheater feild but not alot of experience with VP. I am considering getting into video calabrations and I know these VP are pretty good for that, but my projector has CMS built in as well.

So will I see a better picture using this VP???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
vp on 1080p24 does nearly nothing.

if your projo accepts 72hz, vp will triple frame rate for judder free. but your projo mostlikely does quadriple into 120hz anyway
it may apply noise reduction. I usually turn all this off. your bd player has superb noise reduction via qdeo anyway
it may convert color space but your projo mostlikely does it ok as its not a very difficult process
it can do constant height aspect ratio if you are using 2.35:1 screen. probably you would be buying the VP for this.
color management is more precise on radiance. you are looking another 1-3% more accurate colors.

now for sd and 1080i content, i could not watch without a VP. it does nearly everything. de-interlacing, scaling, noise reduction(on cable,sat very useful I use a dedicated noise remover algolith mosquito hdmi unit just for this), aspect ratio management as most movies in sd are letterboxed your reciever will not zoom in properly.

you could get mini for 1/3 price which will do pretty much everything above(uses the same gennum chip and sw). or dvdo iscan duo. radiance xe adds analog inputs, more hdmi inputs nothing more. If you have more than 3 hdmi and analog devices(laserdisc, vhs) you would be using a radiance mini inside a xe box for 3 times to price. but then again if money is no issue,its nice to have the best of the best:)
post #3 of 4 Old 07-10-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by uderman View Post

vp on 1080p24 does nearly nothing.
if your projo accepts 72hz, vp will triple frame rate for judder free. but your projo mostlikely does quadriple into 120hz anyway
it may apply noise reduction. I usually turn all this off. your bd player has superb noise reduction via qdeo anyway
it may convert color space but your projo mostlikely does it ok as its not a very difficult process
it can do constant height aspect ratio if you are using 2.35:1 screen. probably you would be buying the VP for this.
color management is more precise on radiance. you are looking another 1-3% more accurate colors.
now for sd and 1080i content, i could not watch without a VP. it does nearly everything. de-interlacing, scaling, noise reduction(on cable,sat very useful I use a dedicated noise remover algolith mosquito hdmi unit just for this), aspect ratio management as most movies in sd are letterboxed your reciever will not zoom in properly.
you could get mini for 1/3 price which will do pretty much everything above(uses the same gennum chip and sw). or dvdo iscan duo. radiance xe adds analog inputs, more hdmi inputs nothing more. If you have more than 3 hdmi and analog devices(laserdisc, vhs) you would be using a radiance mini inside a xe box for 3 times to price. but then again if money is no issue,its nice to have the best of the best:)

actually XE also adds audio inputs and an extra hdmi output and picture in picture. I agree though that the video performance is the same on both devices. I would suggest that to get the best from any lumagen radiance in your system you would want to either pay someone or learn how to do calibration and utilise the extensive calibration tools in the thing to help make your display sing.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I agree with both posts above. The Lumagen shines for anything not 1080p and the autocal with added meter and software is very nice to use.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page