Will the DVDO Edge Green make a reg movie on DVD close to 1080 for perosnal recording purposes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering purchasing the Edge Green to clean up older films on regular DVD's.

I want to connect my portable blu ray/dvd player/recorder to the Edge then the Edge to another burner and burn the dvd at 1080p signal from the edge after being processed.

I was told by the company that makes Edge that it will work

Will it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetTechGuy View Post

Will it?
Yes, the Edge will do that just fine as long as it's fed a HDMI signal from the portable player (preferably @ 480i) and your burner accepts a 1080p HDMI input.

Only one problem: the entire process is pretty pointless, IMHO. Whatever improvements are achieved by the Edge will be most likely destroyed (and more) during the re-encoding for the burner which presumably is being done in real time. Just because you scale it to 1080p does not automatically make it better and re-encoding simply adds an additional generational loss.

You would be much better served using the Edge in your equipment stack and let it do the de-interlacing/scaling in real time while viewing a DVD or use a computer to transcode the DVD to another format. BUT....don't forget it's garbage-in-garbage out. Simply scaling a DVD to 1080p will not create detail and color that was not present on the disc to start with.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
DVD? DVD can't do 1080p anyway... I have an Edge and really all it does decently at is deinterlacing. Its scaling is not the best - ringy - and even the VP50 Pro / iScan Duo /etc. are EXTREMELY lacking in quality noise reduction, let alone the Edge. The Edge is a good machine for certain uses; I am not sure that you've got one of those uses.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 02:39 AM

Liked: 10
Yes,it works,but it takes long times,and you will convert the files for several times,you mean converting the dvd to HD video?the Edge is useful,and you also can try other video converter,which can support convert dvd to 1080p at once,good luck!
post #5 of 5 Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 22
Set-up the Edge output to forced 1080p, 4:4:4 color (if your TV can handle it), and 36bit deep color, (again, if your TV can handle this input). You'll get an amazing picture. Then you can sparingly play wtih the detail enhancement and contour effect to taste. This is what I have done with my DVDO Duo and Panasonic TC-P55GT50 TV. If you like what you see, go ahead and record it that way.

Edited 8-28-12:

Also in the output setup menu, go to chromaticity, select CIE1931 instead of Auto. This makes the color look more accurate on my Panasonic TC-P55GT50.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page