ViewSonic announces new video processors - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 109 Old 08-23-2002, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It doesn't say it does, and I have no way to check this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 Old 08-23-2002, 03:51 AM

Thanks PJ Moore.
Sounds good up to now !!!
post #93 of 109 Old 09-09-2002, 06:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Any news on the Nextvision 6 model? A review of the Nextvision 5 would be nice to :)

Bruno
post #94 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
It appears that the AVToolbox AVT-3700 may be the same unit as the NextVision 6. AVToolbox has indicated they will begin shipping the AVT-3700 in a couple of weeks. The link for that unit is at:
http://www.avtoolbox.com./avt-3700a.htm
There is already a ongoing thread on this unit. Has anyone see a photo of the NextVision 6 to see if they look the same externally.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #95 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 06:52 AM

That doesn't look like the same unit to me. For one, it doesn't even have a tuner which the Viewsonic VB50, NextVision 5 and most probably NextVision 6 have. No audio inputs/outputs, no VGA input (for PIP, passthrough) ...
The case of the NextVision 6 is likely to be close to the NextVision 5 which looks like real different than this unit too.

This product could be a good alternative though when the tuner and vga input are not needed.
post #96 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a link to the thread about the AVT-3700.

New HDTV processor

I suspect that the AV Toolbox AVT-3700 imageMAX is the same unit as the Zinwell Brite-View. They look identical in the front and the rear (except for the logos).
post #97 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 08:19 AM

You know, I find this whole thing very funny. Why you may ask? Well, I have been saving my money to buy a NRS out'in 1280x720p for about three months now. Now, I knew that a few new unit's would come on the market that can scale to both HD resolutions and cost under $500. But, I mean come on, do you guys really think these two low cost unit's are going to give you the image you are looking for?

I mean, I could buy a CS-1 and both of these new unit's for less than the price of the NRS I am going to buy but, these two unit's are not going to give me the image I am looking for, even the CS-1 can not give me what I need. The point being, why buy a video scaler if you are not looking to really step up the PQ to the point where you can be very happy with it.
post #98 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 10:07 AM

ZAGBY,

Have you tried any of the units you are talking about ?
or is it that you really feel that the more you'll pay the better the image you'll get ?
If you want i'll bag you a bunch of electronics, stick a Faroudja-DCDi-Silicon Image-Genesis-everyother logo on a very professional looking case and sell it $10 000 just for you.... i assure you, you'll get the best picture around.

Some people want to be happy with a picture wihout spending tons of dollars. $3000 or more is a lot of money for a majority of us... it is actually way too much money, just to get a "better" picture than what we have now.
It's not to start a flame/war here... but if you have enough dough to buy yourself a NRS, it's ok with us.... personnaly i wouldn't buy a scaler for more than the CS-1, even if it is the bestest of the better ones in the galaxy. It would actually be more expensive than the PJ itself.

We like to have options and try things... they are cheaper and might work just good enough for us.

Pierre
post #99 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 10:18 AM

No, No, No toxic candy. I do not wish to start a flame war. I have not tried these new scalers. But, I will when they start shipping, just to see how well they de-interlace and scale.

Who knows, they may do as well as a CS-1 or HD-Leeza or NRS? If they do, they will corner the market.

I guess time will tell.

:D
post #100 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 10:22 AM

ZAGBY, if you want to spend 1000% more to get 10% better PQ, that's fine. go ahead.
Others would rather sacrifice the 10% quality increase (probably even less) and get what they need when they need it, get the other features, buy other things ...
post #101 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 10:25 AM

Again, that's cool. If these unit's turn out a image that is only 10% less clean and detailed than a NRS, I will send the NRS back.

You can count on it.

;)
post #102 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
It's interesting to note the Viewsonic NV6 was targeting a street price of $200 while the suggested retailed price of the imageMAX is closer to $400. Lets see how the PQ is and what the real street price is by Xmas time.

I usually find you do get what you pay for (except for hi-tech stocks these days).

lenny
post #103 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

It appears a couple of comments are due in response to a few of the recent postings in this thread. First I use a HDTV STB for HD and to output Std. Def. Directv and Over the Air scaled to 1080i (or 720p) to drive my Sony G70 projector (relatively high end). I also use a HTPC for scaled DVD playback. Therefore I only need a scaler for viewing the output of my SVHS VCRs, LD player and as an alternative to my Panasonic STB for outputting over the air channels. Basically any scaler output, regardless of price, looks pretty bad given the relatively poor quality of the NTSC VCR or OTA analog sources as compared to DVD via the HTPC or HDTV via the STB. I have found that even the Viewsonic VB50 ($99 street price) is better than DScaler on the HTPC (i.e., far more capable of handling rapid motion than DScaler), better than the iScan doubler and subjectively equal to my far more expensive Dwin doubler from a few years ago. Therefore in discussing the Viewsonic Nextvision products it come down to spending less than $400 to get rid of the scanning lines, but perhaps accepting a few digital artifacts vs. spending thousands of dollars to scale a soon to be obsolete analog NTSC based source to provide perhaps 5% to 10% better image than the new generation low cost scalers. I have also used the iScan doublers and found them to be totally unacceptable for analog sources because they overload and clip at slightly less then the 0.7 volts ( the standard video voltage level for composite or S-Video) I also noted that analog sources including my Sony and JVC SVHS VCRs and my Sony LD player all produce output peak levels more like 0.75v and the iScan doubler I tested began clipping just below 0.7 volts. The iScan doublers work OK with most DVD players however since most do not induce clipping with the iScan. Also any doubler will not significally reduce the visible scanning lines when use with a high quality projector such as the G70, where you really need a scaler with at least a 720p output.

As for the $200 vs. $400 for the NextVision 6, it appears that between the time of the May 2002 press release and the unit's introduction Viewsonic decided to double the price. I would expect some on-line dealers, such as buy.com to discount the NV6 to about $300.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
post #104 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 12:51 PM

I have tried both the VB50 and a Iscan pro. The Iscan blows the VB50 away. The VB50 can not handle compression noise and grain very well, no where near as well as the Sil503 chipset in the Iscan Pro.

But, maybe the new upgraded unit will have that worked out?

Let's hope so.

:)
post #105 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree the iScan Pro (original model) had less motion artifacts and better de-interlacing of video than the VB50, but the very frequent clipping of analog signal inputs made it unusable with the 3 VCRs and one LD player source that I connected it to. At the time Silicon Image technical support confirmed this limitation and provided me with a one-off firmware change for my unit to increase the overload point for one of the s-video inputs, but this still did not fully resolve the problem. I ended up making a s-video cable with a couple of dB of attentuation on the luminance signal to avoid the overload situation. Perhaps the latest iScan models no longer have this limitation (i.e., I haven't tested). Even so the iScan can only provide a 480p output which will not remove visible scanning lines if connect to a high resolution display (same situation as with a progressive scan DVD player). With such displays you really need a scaler capble of 720p or higher resolutions.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
post #106 of 109 Old 09-10-2002, 02:13 PM

Hi Ron,

Yes, I was just talking about the de-interlacing algorithm that Silicon Image uses. It is far better than the algorithm used in the VB50. A person could always buy a CS-1 or 2 if they want Iscan de-interlacing and scaling. But, as far as I have seen, the DCDi algorithm wins the de-interlacing war outside of Teranex. I would buy a CS-1 but, DCDi can not be beat at this point for under $3,300. Maybe the new HD Leeza can but only time will tell.

I am hoping the new ViewSonic and iMAX can show me something. I can say this much, I think I am going to wait for these two to start shipping and wait for what people say about the HD Leeza before buying a NRS.
post #107 of 109 Old 09-11-2002, 08:39 AM

Zagby,
yes DCDi at $3300 can be beaten : DCDi for less :)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=158114
Very good card, in beta test right now, with t a HTPC tho :(
but i'm sure for $1500 you can then make a Very good Processor with DCDi.

Pierre
post #108 of 109 Old 09-11-2002, 10:27 AM

Hey Toxic, thanks for the link. I may go that way.

Again thanks!

:D
post #109 of 109 Old 09-13-2002, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Ron,

Well said...I'm in the same situation in that I think it is a little cost-inefficient to drop several thousand dollars on something that you are only going to use to watch relatively crappy looking stuff to begin with.

I keep the VB50 around to tune my awful analog cable TV and plug my VCR into so I only need one video run to my projector. It seems to work much better than going direct, since a well-shielded 3 coax VGA cable carries better over 25' than a cheap composite video wire.

The H3D is interesting for people that wish to use it for good sources, like DVD and maybe some nice LDs. If all you are going to watch is the evening news, I think one of these is works perfectly fine.
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page