Your favorite movie to show off your darbee!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mine will be arriving Tuesday (Wednesday at the latest. I have made an interesting bet with my girlfriend about whether or not she will appreciate the improvement so I'm looking for ideas of the ideal movie to show it off with

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 AM

Liked: 10
I have not watched too many yet, but " How to train your dragon" was great. It was soo good that even though I was just viewing a small amounts of each movie I was testing, that when I started viewing HTTYD, I wound up watching the whole Movie:D

Darker grainier movies are not as good, as a mater of fact if you do use for that type you will have to lower the level of , or even turn off the Darbee for those.
I works great for animation or well done live action. As was said in many posts. the better the material the more powerful the effect..
Tony
post #3 of 33 Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I would say my new favorite is the Royal Tannenbaums. When you combine the new BR transfer with the darbee...it makes the DVD look like a bootleg. I was just in awe of how specular this title looked with the BR/darbee combo. My son has discovered Wes' films and we watched the RT dvd a month ago. This weekend we rewatched it on BR with Darbee and our jaws dropped. Can't wait for Moonrise Kingdom ...I expected our darbeevision home theater to out perform our viewing at LA's Angelika. wink.gif

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #4 of 33 Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone viewed like planet earth or life? Cause a few images on their site for testing (where its pop at like 100%) appear to be similiar images and I'm curious how it works out for stuff like that in real time

post #5 of 33 Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

Mine will be arriving Tuesday (Wednesday at the latest. I have made an interesting bet with my girlfriend about whether or not she will appreciate the improvement so I'm looking for ideas of the ideal movie to show it off with
oh,I can suggest some loving moives,like Titanic,brave heart and so on.I think your girl firend will love the movies!
post #6 of 33 Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
We watched Hunger Games and it really brought out the details in close ups. eek.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 Old 08-22-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

For ready content...the show psych is on Netflix and is great for it because there's alot of close of facial shots

post #8 of 33 Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Pull out your HD transfer of that vintage demo disk, "The Fifth Element," and play the sequence that starts with Leelu climbing out on the ledge and dropping into the flying cab, followed by the chase sequence. In addition to increasing perceived detail throughout, if you're watching on a large front projector, I bet you'll feel a queasy physicality to those "straight down" shots that you've never felt before.
post #9 of 33 Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblinds View Post

Pull out your HD transfer of that vintage demo disk, "The Fifth Element," and play the sequence that starts with Leelu climbing out on the ledge and dropping into the flying cab, followed by the chase sequence. In addition to increasing perceived detail throughout, if you're watching on a large front projector, I bet you'll feel a queasy physicality to those "straight down" shots that you've never felt before.

Similar spectacular shot looking straight down in Avatar......in The Battle for Pandora chapter.....with the Na'vi mounted on their banshees, clinging to the rocks high on one of the floating mountains, ready to begin battle..... and the squadron of attack ships passes "way the bleep" down below them. eek.gifeek.gif Hard to beat Avatar with the Darblet.

Also unreal with "depth" and spectacular aerial footage and jaw dropping snow boarding scenes with a stunning bluray transfer, is The Art of Flying. The intro sequence that they say was filmed with the Epic 5K....eek.gif Here's list of camera gear:

http://artofflightmovie.com/news/permalink.php?aid=43
post #10 of 33 Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Take a look at the opening scenes of Hugo, + you can even move the Darbee to higher settings with this transfer!

Murray Thompson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 33 Old 08-31-2012, 07:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Take a look at the opening scenes of Hugo, + you can even move the Darbee to higher settings with this transfer!
+1, incredible image
post #12 of 33 Old 09-02-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Avatar is amazing at settings of 60-70 HD mode! Have not tried it with the 3D version yet but the Darblet can really enhance depth with 3D movies. Even more so than with 2D.
post #13 of 33 Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

* I just found out about the darbee a few days ago...so far ...incredibly... this could be the real deal in terms of optical focus and detail perception for almost any video feed> and it does so without a complicated theory> simply interpolates a left or right image then uses de-focusing techniques that our brains interpret as better detail and focus> Film material itself is NOT optical grade> the camera's lens might be ...but that's as far as it goes, I've never heard of film having to be optical grade, when I mention optical grade you have to understand that in the world of optics> the better the optical lens the more effecitve it is at passing light more acuratley onto the film...poorer lenses reduce colors and other characteristics of light etc...the veil that is lifted is the unfocused part of the film being displayed...this part is played by the film material itself...the darbee creates the effect that our brains only interpret as being removed, thus a slight loss in that film look....but with much more percieved detail that was lost due to the film quality itself...the actual brightening of the image that the darbee creates is not an effect of gamma errors or what not...but...is comparable to shining a light through an opaque surface...it's not clear but it's not solid either...when the darbee removes the fog/opaque area of the image....then more light is able to pass through in area thus then increasing our perception of a brighter image...and it seems only in localized areas. Which shows it's only working with what is actually ther in the image itself.
post #14 of 33 Old 09-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

* I just found out about the darbee a few days ago...so far ...incredibly... this could be the real deal in terms of optical focus and detail perception for almost any video feed> and it does so without a complicated theory> simply interpolates a left or right image then uses de-focusing techniques that our brains interpret as better detail and focus> Film material itself is NOT optical grade> the camera's lens might be ...but that's as far as it goes, I've never heard of film having to be optical grade, when I mention optical grade you have to understand that in the world of optics> the better the optical lens the more effecitve it is at passing light more acuratley onto the film...poorer lenses reduce colors and other characteristics of light etc...the veil that is lifted is the unfocused part of the film being displayed...this part is played by the film material itself...the darbee creates the effect that our brains only interpret as being removed, thus a slight loss in that film look....but with much more percieved detail that was lost due to the film's physics and quality itself...the actual brightening of the image that the darbee creates is not an effect of gamma errors or what not...but...is comparable to shining a light through an opaque surface...it's not clear but it's not solid either...when the darbee removes the fog/opaque area of the image....then more light is able to pass through in area thus then increasing our perception of a brighter image...and it seems only in localized areas. Which shows it's only working with what is actually ther in the image itself.
post #15 of 33 Old 09-02-2012, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anything by Stanley Kubrick or David Lean. No CGI here. And the outdoor films are especially good. I've gotta believe that if you have well produced films where the cinematography is strong it's going to be particularly fine to use the Darblet. Even well preserved B&W films look amazingly good (Hitchcock, Bergman, etc.). Just don't push the technology too much. It's simply there to make things clearer - think Windex for your viewing experience wink.gif

Steve Schaffer
post #16 of 33 Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I would bet that ALIEN and BLADERUNNER are going to look fantastic in HD mode at 40-50% eek.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #17 of 33 Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
+1 Avatar BD

Lord of the Rings, extended, BD
post #18 of 33 Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I watched the recent HD master of "Sweet Smell of Success" a week ago using the Darblet. Just. Fantastic. It did emphasize some of the grain, but in so doing, reinforced the seedy yet enervating noctural atmosphere of NYC. (Grain can and was used by DPs as a creative device, sometimes to impressive effect.)
post #19 of 33 Old 09-16-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm currently awaiting arrival, but just want to know how high to set it without causing harm. Do you use a test pattern to determine this or do you just go by the movie itself? This would be pretty cool if I could leave it at one setting and just let people think that my tv is naturally displaying the image.
post #20 of 33 Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Lately (the past two weeks) it's been The Avengers 3D! Everyone has been amazed at the image. And the sound is top notch too! smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #21 of 33 Old 09-16-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Warriors of the rainbow. I only had the sd dvd of this but i have never seen pq quality like this with darbee on gaming 46.Cant imagine what the blu ray of this film must look like.

Another is a straight to dvd Jean Claude Van Damme film Six Bullets.Very saturated color effects however with the darbee it makes this 2d sd dvd look like 3d without glasses.Never seen blacks and color look this intense.Really see the added depth the darbee gives to the picture.

Matt
post #22 of 33 Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 AM

so how was the movie six bullets is it worth a rental ? i'm considering renting it.
post #23 of 33 Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing special,another action flick but if you have a darbee definitely rent it to view how the picture pops off the screen.

Matt
post #24 of 33 Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Nothing special,another action flick but if you have a darbee definitely rent it to view how the picture pops off the screen.

What's the movie you're referring to? You never said the title.
post #25 of 33 Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Six bullets

Matt
post #26 of 33 Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM

thanks on my way to rent it now .will watch it with game mode on.
post #27 of 33 Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Six bullets

It took me about three minutes to realize that you were responding to my post haha. It's probably because you're not quoting the post that you're referring to that I had no idea what your posts were actually, well, in reference to. I almost thought you were referring to a movie titled "Nothing Special." tongue.gif
post #28 of 33 Old 09-19-2012, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL.Well actually you could rename it that since its instantly forgettable.

Matt
post #29 of 33 Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Im finding well filmed and transferred concerts provide me with most WOW ,especially if Ive watched it for years and now it looks so different,Like going from middle of audience to the first row.

Matt
post #30 of 33 Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
What a shame Eagles Down Under was never transferred to the winning Bluray format, but I still have my HD DVD player and that is one hell of a fabulous transfer and awesome musical performances on all the tracks by the band. My favorite concert film!

HA....I did actually buy a Bluray of it but found out later it was shipping from China and horrible. My bad. tongue.gif
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page