Need help to decide between 2 upgrade paths (one involves dvdo duo, another mini3d) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My current set up is
(sources 1) -> (dvdo vp50 pro) ->(onkyo nr5008) => (TV & PJ)
(bluray player) -> (onkyo nr5008) => (TV & PJ)

For bluray player, I bypass vp50pro to allow to play 3D disks.

I am now thinking to add darbee processor. However, I would need 2 with my current setup. So I am considering 2 options to upgrade:

1) to buy dvdo duo and to have it to do all source switching:
(all sources) -> (dvdo duo) ->( darbee)->(nr5008)=>(tv & pj)

2) to buy radiance mini 3d and to have avr to do switching:
(all sources)->(nr5008)=>(mini 3d)->(darbee)->(monoprice HDMI splitter)=>(tv & pj)

For the 2d setup I am thinking to run 2 hdmi between avr and mini3d, which should give me 6 separately configurable inputs (is it right?)

What setup would be more capable? The 2d chain is longer and i will have to add splitter. Any downsides because of this? Any advice is very much appreciated.

I should add that i am not very much into "perfectionism" of calibration. I am also concerned a bit by difficulties of configuring mini 3D.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Liked: 26
I know it doesn't entirely help but...stop thinking about buying the darbee and do it!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

post #3 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

I know it doesn't entirely help but...stop thinking about buying the darbee and do it!
Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Indeed, I just ordered one. Now need to decide which way to go about video processor upgrade....
post #4 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by max90034 View Post

I should add that i am not very much into "perfectionism" of calibration. I am also concerned a bit by difficulties of configuring mini 3D.
IMHO, if you want to keep things really "simple" I'd suggest using a Duo for all switching and feed the receiver (audio only via HDMI) and both displays directly from the Duo. Place the Darbee between the Duo and PJ where the larger screen would benefit the most from the Darbee.

If you want to use the Darbee with both displays then feed the receiver from the Duo via the Darbee as you described.

On the other hand, if you want to jump in with both feet learn the joys of "perfectionism" go with the Lumagen.

Of course, with the Reon video processor in the NR5008 and dual outputs couldn't you could also ditch the external video processor altogether??? Or does the NR5008 have issues with 3D pass-through?

Clear as mud? wink.gif
Tazishere likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

IMHO, if you want to keep things really "simple" I'd suggest using a Duo for all switching and feed the receiver (audio only via HDMI) and both displays directly from the Duo. Place the Darbee between the Duo and PJ where the larger screen would benefit the most from the Darbee.
If you want to use the Darbee with both displays then feed the receiver from the Duo via the Darbee as you described.
On the other hand, if you want to jump in with both feet learn the joys of "perfectionism" go with the Lumagen.
Of course, with the Reon video processor in the NR5008 and dual outputs couldn't you could also ditch the external video processor altogether??? Or does the NR5008 have issues with 3D pass-through?
Clear as mud? wink.gif

Thanks. I thought about keeping my setup and putting darbee just for the screen but then I use projector (RS40) only once in a while and this would mean that I almost never benefit from darbee that sounds as a really cool device from what I read here.

It is still a tough decision between duo and mini3d. I also realized that I have already X-Rite Display 3 with chromapure license (that I've never used) and I can now get autocalibration soft for chromapure that could make mini3d setup easier... My personal issue with DVDO is a feeling that they totally ignored any support of customers like myself who spent >2K on 50pro.

I had to play a bit with NR5008 settings to make it working with 3d source but it seems to be doing pass-through ok now. I do not, however, do any video processing with it either.

Is monoprice 1-2 pro 3d a good HDMI splitter if I decide to go that route?
post #6 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wht do you want to send a second output to the Mini3d from the amp? The Radiance range have virtual inputs. You can tell the mini that when INPUT2 command is received it should look at physical input 1 for the signal BUT apply all the settings you have assigned for INPUT2 and whatever memory you are using. You can do this for INPUT 3 command as well. So with just one physical hdmi input from the amp you can have a pile of different settings.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also realized that I have already X-Rite Display 3 with chromapure license (that I've never used) and I can now get autocalibration soft for chromapure that could make mini3d setup easier.
Ahhh...you left that part out at first. This would be a great reason, bordering on "no-brainer", to go with the Lumagen. wink.gif

FWIW, I went from a VP50 to an Edge to....nothing. After getting a new receiver (Yamaha A2010) with a decent internal video processor I realized the only feature of the Edge that I was missing in the receiver was setting a fixed color space (the receiver's VP simply outputs the same that it is fed.) Since I can set that manually in my Blu Ray player (Oppo 93) and the TV was fine with the TiVo's fixed 4:4:4 Y'CbCr, I pulled the Edge from the stack. I have not used the NR5008 but I suspect that it is a very similar situation as the Reon processor in the Onkyo is very capable at de-interlacing and scaling if it's implemented correctly.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

I thought that one physical input on mini3d would give me only 4 virtual inputs but I realize now that I was wrong. I can use one physical input for all 6 different hdmi settings that should cover my needs. Thanks for clarifying this...
post #9 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

Ahhh...you left that part out at first. This would be a great reason, bordering on "no-brainer", to go with the Lumagen. wink.gif
FWIW, I went from a VP50 to an Edge to....nothing. After getting a new receiver (Yamaha A2010) with a decent internal video processor I realized the only feature of the Edge that I was missing in the receiver was setting a fixed color space (the receiver's VP simply outputs the same that it is fed.) Since I can set that manually in my Blu Ray player (Oppo 93) and the TV was fine with the TiVo's fixed 4:4:4 Y'CbCr, I pulled the Edge from the stack. I have not used the NR5008 but I suspect that it is a very similar situation as the Reon processor in the Onkyo is very capable at de-interlacing and scaling if it's implemented correctly.

This is very helpful. Thanks. It seems that I would not gain much with my setup if I go DVDO route. Lumagen, on the other hand, might be more difficult to setup (hopefully chroma pure would help) but it can bring real benefits with 3d processing, color management, etc.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lumagen, on the other hand, might be more difficult to setup (hopefully chroma pure would help) but it can bring real benefits with 3d processing, color management, etc.
Yup. As always, it's just a matter of measuring the expense vs the benefit.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page