Darbee Fidelio Demoed at CEDIA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24

We got a chance to check out Darbee's new higher-end image enhancing product for next year, the Fidelio, at CEDIA. Just like the Darblet, the Fidelio can vastly improve upon standard visuals (here are some high res examples if you want to see). While it's still a ways off -- a Darbee rep said it'll ship in Q3 of next year -- they had a prototype of it running at the show. As you can see, it's definitely for the higher-end consumer: it has a slick looking video equalizer, a touch-screen user interface, and it's wifi-enabled for downloadable features. Darbee says it'll likely retail in the $2,000 range. 

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It looks like the sharpness cranks up to 11

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #3 of 71 Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The price on this puppy may cause some folks waiting for the next Darbee to reconsider the existing unit......

Geof
post #4 of 71 Old 09-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Ouch. While I think it is good for the DarbeeVision brand to offer an upscale unit, this iteration--with an unnecessary price-boosting gimmickry like the touch screen, and the artsy opera-derived name--doesn't strike me as the best decision in a depressed economy. IMO a $500-$800 box with increased CPU power and improved processing algorithms would have kept them in their own product category. At $2000, the Fidelio will perceptually go head-to-head with the finest aftermarket video processing boxes.
post #5 of 71 Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
While it's a drastic improvement from the current Darblet regarding design, at $2K it is far too expensive unless there is much more to it than the current model.

With that said the new design is very nice, other than piano gloss HT gear makes little sense due to causing more reflections and attracting even more finger prints.

Jason
post #6 of 71 Old 09-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 12
So does this do the same processing as the Darblet, but with multiple inputs and settings per input?
post #7 of 71 Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Fits nice in the rack, good start smile.gif don't care for the name along as it does its job well. Looks promising but will wait and see.

Frank

post #8 of 71 Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Is field upgradable? That's one of the major issues with the Darblet.

I'm looking forward to seeing a direct comparison between the two Darby products to see if we can tell a notable difference.

With that said. A fancy new rack mountable case, touch screen GUI and even field upgrability isn't worth a 8x price increase. I highly doubt this unit will show a 8x performance improvement over the current Darblet...

post #9 of 71 Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 AM

This technology belongs in the studio, not in the home. Why should I futz with the overall sharpness, contrast, and tonality of the picture that the director and his crew worked so hard to dial into their vision for the film? I say we let them darblify to their heart's content and I'll play back their chosen results on my properly calibrated display.

-jer
post #10 of 71 Old 09-08-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 329
At this price, the Fidelio should have auto calibration feature for TV and projector through its video EQ.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #11 of 71 Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremya View Post

This technology belongs in the studio, not in the home. Why should I futz with the overall sharpness, contrast, and tonality of the picture that the director and his crew worked so hard to dial into their vision for the film? I say we let them darblify to their heart's content and I'll play back their chosen results on my properly calibrated display.

You purists are so strange.

What about for sports broadcasts and video games? Do you feel the same about "intent" when it comes to the visuals watching those?

There are many reasons to own a Darblet outside of films, and one reason is to give your image more clarity around the rims. I don't think directors would mind if you did that.
tampa8 likes this.
post #12 of 71 Old 09-08-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

What about for sports broadcasts and video games? Do you feel the same about "intent" when it comes to the visuals watching those?
There are many reasons to own a Darblet outside of films, and one reason is to give your image more clarity around the rims. I don't think directors would mind if you did that.
Not to mention the hundreds of 1000's of films that are no longer in the Studio and were released before Darbee technology existed.

Geof
post #13 of 71 Old 09-08-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Yes no kidding, they're oblivious to this it seems. Throw in other major live events with HD telecasts and still photography display for those interested.
post #14 of 71 Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I'm excited! smile.gif

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #15 of 71 Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
We've heard....from Mark H.....way too easily biggrin.gif

They have hinted around about some pretty esoteric things that might be cool to process with new s.o.t.a. techniques such as has been brought to market with "DVP".......would not be surprised to find here
post #16 of 71 Old 09-08-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 649

As an owner of the current Darblet, I'm not that enthusiastic about multiple inputs, a touch screen, a nicer case, etc. if the underlying DVP technology is the same as what I have now.  Network software/firmware upgrades would be nice, but my current unit is not exhibiting any issues in my setup.  If future enhancements improve the actual video processing, I would be interested in that, and would weigh the advantages of a network upgrade versus shipping the Darblet back to the manufacturer for the upgrade. 

post #17 of 71 Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
269 now or 2K next year?. I'll stick with my 2 Darblets .Hopefully they will release a lower priced product for those looking to upgrade from the Darblet. Unless my darblets explode or just fall apart, I can see them in my HT and on my PC till the "cows come home"biggrin.gif
post #18 of 71 Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't think of any feature set that can justify the $2K pricing. As previously mentioned. A Switcher with Darblet mixed in with 2D to 3D converter with Video EQ (including auto display calibration) should not be priced above $1K.

At $2K, the unit will usually be hidden in a separate equipment rack (usually in a separate room) so the touch screen and beautiful screen in utterly unnecessary.

my home theatre

post #19 of 71 Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hey, I think Darbee is just trying out a capitalistic venture to see if there is a market for a device for the enthusiasts that just have to have the best.

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. If I want it, I will buy it. If I don't want to pay a premium for the shiny box Darbee isn't going to hold a gun to my head to make me buy it.

I LOVE my two Darbees btw.
post #20 of 71 Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I absolutely love my Darblets. I have four of them and I will be buying at least one more for my secondary projector. I love Darbee products so much I want to see this company flourish. However, the direction they are going, IMHO, is very wrong which very well may be detrimental to their growth potential.

my home theatre

post #21 of 71 Old 09-10-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 649

I too am very happy with the Darblet.  However, since we have not seen a detailed technical review of the Fidelio, it is still unclear (to me at least), whether the DVP processing is identical to the Darblet, or improved.  If it were improved, we might have a different opinion with regards to its value.  At this point, all we are seeing is conjecture.

post #22 of 71 Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I see no issue with them showing the Fidelio at CEDIA as it gives them a opportunity to judge interest in the product.

I've read nothing that says they would not or will not introduce a product somewhere between the existing unit and the Fidelio. Given the HDMI problems some have noted in the owners thread I think it would behoove them to get a decently priced field updatable unit out at some point. I cannot imagine they'll go forward only with the existing $300 model and a forthcoming $2K model - there is plenty of road to plow between those two units: Somewhere between these extremes is where I would think they'd have the most sales. I guess what I'm getting at is that I expect we'll see them introduce more than just a lone $2K unit - if they want maximum sales I'd think they want several products at various price points (they could even keep the exiting unit in the lineup and also introduce a $500-600 unit with better ergonomics). In fact I'd wager if they came out with a $500 unit that is field up-dateable (along with a more appropriate package with all connections on the rear of the unit, etc) a significant number of existing owners would upgrade. While some existing owners may upgrade to the Fidelio I think they'd sell far more to existing owners - and potential customers - if they also introduced a more sensible $500 unit.

It seems plausible that they'd prefer not to announce a new mid priced unit until it is ready to roll so as to not dilute existing sales. In fact announcing the $2K Fidelio might serve to boost existing sales given that they gave no indication of a replacement for the existing unit on the horizon.

Geof
post #23 of 71 Old 09-10-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have had similar thoughts regarding the $500 unit. Seems like an idea addition to their line up.
post #24 of 71 Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

At 2K, is it's performance going to be 90% better than the Darblet. It's hard to think so. I'll stick with my Darblet and it's outstanding picture adjustments!
post #25 of 71 Old 09-11-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
At $2K it should have a Ignition Key and get you to work and back. tongue.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #26 of 71 Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
With $2K, you can get very close to a Lumagen Mini + 2 Darbee. Given Lumagen track record of constantly updating FW and adding features (the new 3D LUT calibration at no cost!!), this is probably money better spent!
Don't get me wrong, I had a Darbee and like it. For $269, it is awesome. Now that we have experienced what $269 can give us, I am not sure people are willing to spend 5x more... The fact is, post-processing can go only so far, then it add in artifacts and looks fake. Most people that use Darbee are using a low-medium setting. So, what more can this Darbee Fidelio brings??
post #27 of 71 Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think they should package it with an "Eyes Wide Shut" DVD.........Fidelio.

TWD
post #28 of 71 Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 PM
g4s

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

I think they should package it with an "Eyes Wide Shut" DVD.........Fidelio.
I better change my Paypal password.
post #29 of 71 Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 PM

Liked: 20
I JUST WROTE A LONG POST SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT NUT MY MACHINE LOCKED UP AND I LOST ITI. I GUESS i WILL POST IT AGAIN TOMORROW. Most of the posts in this thread are dead wrong.

The unit at Cedia was a mock up. It employed a Darblet to do the processing with a video monitoring screen and some video EQ readout. The hardware is set re HDMI inputs and switching but what the machine will actually do has not been determined. The chips are much larger and that is a substantial component of the higher cost. But firmware and software must be written to do whatever the unit will eventually do.

What will it do? Darbee is seeking input as to what the market would like it to do. For example, do a higher more sophisticated level of Darbee processing. Perform a bunch of video analysis functions viewable on the screen. A video multimeter if you will. Video EQ.. Nothing has been determined yet EXCEPT it will not be a multifunction video processor like a DVDO or Lumagen.No way will that happen. Darbeevision wishes to license its algs to video processor manufacturers, av processor manufacturers, AV receiver manufacturers, display manufacturers. something for them to employ in their higher end models to further differentiate those units from lower end models in their lines..

Ther are presently no plans to make a higher end Darblet with say some increased processing power and fiekl software upgradabilty other than the unit under discussion here. It was never envisioned that there would be software revisions for the Darblet. Glitches required replacement of units with fixed software. but the chips used in the darblet I don't think have the capability to add additional functions.

The $2000 unit has very large chips. Features could be added after its release. So field ugradability is required.But it a soft platform now and where it will go and what it will do is undertermined.

I know serious posts as to see what you would like the unit to do will be scrutinized by the Darbee follks. But I repeat, a full function video processor, not a chance. Things other companies don't offer, yes.

I think it clear that we here would like even better more sophisticated Darbeevision procession . Beyong that, what would you guys like? Tell Darbeevision by posting here. The product will happen and it will be priced at about $2K..
post #30 of 71 Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 PM

Liked: 11
I'm more interested in a new Lumagen with 4K and Darblet embedded.
Mark_H likes this.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page