LONG time to switch resolution... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have a Lumagen XD connected to my JVC RS55 projector, and using Oppo as blu-ray player. It takes quite some time for the HDMI handshake to complete, and I usually miss the first 3-4 seconds of video (I can hear the sound) when that happened. This mostly happened when the trailer is done, and the movie kicks in, or whenever the trailer switched resolution or something. I am not sure if Lumagen can help in resolving this issue? Is there any setting I should toggle or change? Is the video EDID something I should play with??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 472
I assume you have the Lumagen set to output a fixed resolution to the projector. In other words, the Lumagen is having problems syncing to the Oppo's output.

If you haven't already, you should verify that both the Oppo and the Lumagen have the most recent firmware. If they do, then contact Lumagen about the problem.

Edited to add: one workaround to try is to set the Oppo to always output a fixed scanrate (e.g. 1080p60). Since the scanrate wouldn't change between the menu and the feature movie, there should be no dropouts.

Of course, this would be only a temporary workaround until you get the sync problem resolved, since it uses the Oppo's scaler instead of the Lumagen's,

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 5 Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Press the "Ok" button on the Lumagen remote to display the Radiance First Info Screen.
Look at the input and output resolution and refresh.
What are these values for the trailers and for the movie?

Press the "Ok" button again to display the Radiance Second Info Screen.
Look at the input and output Aspect Ratio.
What are these values for the trailers and for the movie?

Randy Freeman
Lumagen
post #4 of 5 Old 09-10-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

...one workaround to try is to set the Oppo to always output a fixed scanrate (e.g. 1080p60). Since the scanrate wouldn't change between the menu and the feature movie, there should be no dropouts.
The problem with the Oppo is the two chip design (decoder and separate scaler). Even when you specify a fixed output format, the format between decoder and scaler changes and that causes an HDMI handshake with subsequent loss of video. It might be possible to avoid this, but the Oppo firmware doesn't seem to try too hard.

One way to reduce the number of handshakes is to effectively bypass the scaler. On the BDP-83 this means setting the primary video output to component (but still use the HDMI output connector), and on the BDP-93 this means using (I think) the second HDMI output. But this will not totally eliminate extra handshakes that single chip designs don't seem to require.

For me this is the most annoying feature of the BDP-83, and I doubt I'll buy another Oppo that suffers from the same issue.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-10-2012, 02:21 PM
sfm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a lumagen XS (latest firmware) and by far the handshaking with the Oppo 83 is the worst (no issues with a Tivo HD set to native output or my HTPC)... The oppo is configured for source direct output... at times I will get a blue screen on my projector (indicating no output from the lumagen) for as long as 5 or 10 seconds... not to mention the rest of the time that there is no picture/audio but at least the PJ is receiving some kind of a signal (indicated by there not being a blue screen). As this only happens during the splash screen/preview/trailer/etc. transitions I have learned to live with it. Kind of comical when the dts-ma demo video only displays the last second or so of picture/audio smile.gif
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page