Does Algolith Mosquito HDMI pass audio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought one used a few months ago. I understand Algolith Mosquito does not pass audio. Matter of fact it doesnt even have audio inputs/outputs. Mosquito HDMI on the other hand has "HDMI repeater" function which I am not sure what it does. My unit does not pass audio tru hdmi. I am curious if its only my unit or Mosquito HDMI doesnt pass audio at all.

by any change anyone has the latest firmware?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"My unit does not pass audio tru hdmi. I am curious if its only my unit or Mosquito HDMI doesnt pass audio at all."

The EDID of the Mosquito says it does not support audio. As such a source plugged in upstream of the Mosquito will not output audio over HDMI.

The trick to passing audio through a HDMI Mosquito is by attaching a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus ahead of the Mosquito to change the EDID to say it supports multichannel LPCM. If you do that LPCM audio will pass through a HDMI Mosquito.

Shawn
post #3 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I use my tivo premiere xl4, oppo 980 (480i over hdmi), jvc 40000u (d-vhs deck) and an iptv(outputs 2ch lpcm)

above outputs dolby digital(ex) from 384kbps to 640kbps, dts(es/ex), lpcm 2ch to 5ch depending on the source. Is it possible to tweak gefen detective to have algolith mosquito hdmi pass these audio codecs?

am i placing gefen detective between source and algolith or between output and display? output of algolith is going into crystalio II then receiver then display

hdfury has similar product. doctor hdmi. this does not require power supply and smaller. do you think this can do the same job?
post #4 of 4 Old 10-13-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"above outputs dolby digital(ex) from 384kbps to 640kbps, dts(es/ex), lpcm 2ch to 5ch depending on the source. Is it possible to tweak gefen detective to have algolith mosquito hdmi pass these audio codecs?"

The Gefen box has multiple built in EDIDs and it can learn an EDID from your downstream devices as well. However, I have only tested passing LPCM through the Mosquito. I do not know if it will handle bitstreams.

"am i placing gefen detective between source and algolith or between output and display?"

Between the source and algolith. The problem is that the Algolith's EDID to a source is saying it does not support audio, so the source will not output it. The Gefen gets around that by changing the EDID that is fed to the source.

"doctor hdmi. this does not require power supply and smaller. do you think this can do the same job?"

Probably, but I have never tried one. The Gefen box does not need a power supply in normal operation either. It is just needed when changing EDID settings in the box.

Shawn
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page