Converting PS2 video with color depth upscaling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My end goal is to connect a Playstation 2 to a monitor that only accepts noninterlaced signals over RGBHV D-Sub (VGA), DVI, and HDMI, without introducing a large amount of latency. The monitor cannot accept component on RCA connector cables.

To that end, i have acquired an Image AnyPlace IA-100 video processor, which does a fine job at scaling and deinterlacing the video and converting it to an acceptable format quickly.

What it doesn't do is alter the color range: my PS2 output displays on the monitor with a high black level and low white level. Of course, it's assuming a range of 16-235 instead of 0-255. So, all i need is something that will scale the color range.

I have seen a series of devices called HDFury that can do the color scaling, but they're designed to convert video from digital over HDMI to analog over component or vga. If possible i'd like to avoid spending that much money, and i'd also like to avoid converting from analog to digital back to analog.

I would appreciate if you could recommend a device that can scale the color range, and doesn't do other things, or recommend some other kind of option entirely. I can work with VGA, DVI, or HDMI. I cannot work with something that outputs component on RCA cables, because while i could put that before the IA-100, i don't know how well it would deal with values outside of the 16-235 range, so i need to put the color scaling device between the video processor and the monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-02-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Did you try both, VGA and HDMI from the SOIA to your display ? I don't think that I had any issues with elevated black levels on my setup when I reviewed the SOIA.

Other than that, do you really care about a 100% perfect color conversion ? I mean we're talking a video game system here and adjusting the brightness and contrast for this input on your display would easily correct the RGB range mismatch - or you can do the same on the input controls on the SOIA.

I can't think of any low price / low lag machine to do what you want.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-04-2012, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the digital output also appears to have the same 16-253 color range. Lowering the brightness setting in the SOIA reduces the black level. It doesn't increase the highs, but maybe i can just put up with that. Thanks for your input, and sorry for the delayed response.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

I resurrect this old thread because i have new information.

For my original post, I had tried both outputs, but I never thought to try different inputs until this week. If I use s-video, composite, or the "HD component" connections (which do not qualify for deinterlacing), the color levels are all correct. It's only when using the "SD component" connections that the colors are washed out. I've tried it with both a PS2 and a Wii (both running YPbPr), with multiple cables, and have gotten the same result. I haven't seen anything in the IA-100's menus or manual that would explain it.

Does someone have any idea why it would be treating this input differently?
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page