Newbie question on Radiance XD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

After using DVDO devices for years, I just became the proud owner of a Radiance XD. I have updated it to SW 103112 and I have ordered the 3D upgrade. Tomorrow I'm going to hook it up... and then the configuration starts...

And now my question. I live in the Netherlands and (as to my knowledge) there are no calibrators here, that have worked with a Radiance XD. So I have to do all myself. I was hoping to learn from you. And I was wondering if a shortcut is available? I mean: I have seen there is a utility that saves the settings to a PC. I was wondering if there are users with a similar setup like me (see below). If so, would it be possible to download the saved settings? Then I could upload them to the Radiance and voila! I would have a starting point...

Maybe this isn't possible at all, but I love to hear from you on this matter.

My setup isn't high tech, but I still love what a good video processor does for my setup: 3D SmartTV Samsung UE55D7000 LED-TV, Samsung BDES6000 3D-Bluray, Humax iHDR 5200C Settop Box, B&K AVR507 Receiver (all audio is routed through the receiver, I don't plan on using the Radiance XD for audio)

Hope to hear from you!
Thanks Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
No...what you'd have is somebody else's settings that could possibly make your image worse than when you started. frown.gif The Radiance is the sort of device that you buy because you want to maximise the performance of your display(s). IMHO the only way to do this is to either pay a Pro to come and set it up and calibrate your display(s) using it...or to buy a sensor, software and learn how to do it yourself.

The beauty with the Lumagen is that (depending on model) there is an option for autocalibration using either Calman or Chromapure software. However, you still need to learn and understand the basics of calibration to make sure your display is set up correctly before pressing the 'start' button, so it's not a magic bullet completely.

In my case I have the Mini3D model connected to a HDMI splitter so using three separate memories I can calibrate 2 TVs and my projector using this one device. I've got a pretty old and cheap 32" Sony TV connected yet the Lumagen (with a full calibration) takes it to another level completely, same for my 40" TV in the living room. I can't justify replacing it really since the MIni3D does such a good job of calibrating it (though mainly because I use my projector for 'serious' viewing). It's more than paid for itself over the years, as has learning about calibration, though ironically it's easier with my Mini3D than back when I only had the display's controls and even easier now I have autocal.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3 of 3 Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oké, thanks. I'll try to find a calibrator over here, who has worked with a lumagen before. Hope I find one...
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page