Which component's video processor takes precedent? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-19-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can somebody please explain which video processor is used in a home theater set-up? or point me to the forum if this was previously addressed? For example, ...If you had a stand alone video processor, HDTV, blu-ray player like oppo, A/V receiver with video processor, and Darbee Darblet....which one does the processing? Are you able to turn all these processors on and off? or do they all do their own thing at the same time? How do I know which component is improving or degrading my image? Does a media streamer like Boxee Box have its own video processor also? I apologize if I'm asking too many questions....but so confused on this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbee696 View Post

Can somebody please explain which video processor is used in a home theater set-up? or point me to the forum if this was previously addressed? For example, ...If you had a stand alone video processor, HDTV, blu-ray player like oppo, A/V receiver with video processor, and Darbee Darblet....which one does the processing? Are you able to turn all these processors on and off? or do they all do their own thing at the same time? How do I know which component is improving or degrading my image? Does a media streamer like Boxee Box have its own video processor also? I apologize if I'm asking too many questions....but so confused on this issue.

What processing? There are so many things that fall under that umbrella. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish, what components you have and what their instruction manuals say. If several components in your signal path do the same thing, deinterlace, for example, you need to figure out which does a better job and configure the components so that it does the deinterlacing. Others, like the Darblet, do unique things and there's only one place to do that, with the Darblet. So, start at the other end. Figure out what processing you want and then look at your components to figure out how best to accomplish your goal.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The simple answer is that whichever component does the best job is the one that should do all the heavy lifting, and you should turn off processing everywhere else. For example, if you've purchased an outboard standalone video processor, chances are that you expect it to process the video. By "process the video," I mean deinterlacing and scaling, and possibly calibration and/or aspect ratio control. If you bought an external VP for that, you wouldn't want to duplicate that effort in your Blu-ray player, receiver or other piece of hardware.

If you haven't bought an external VP, you probably need to do a little research into whether your Blu-ray player, receiver or TV has the best processing, then arrange things to use that.

An exception to this rule is the Darblet, which is a specialized component with a unique feature. The Darblet works in conjunction with other video processors, not as a replacement for them. It doesn't deinterlace, scale, calibrate, etc. The one and only thing it does is apply the Darblet effect to give your image a little extra "pop" after calibration is complete.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page