N64 and DVDO EDGE = WTF - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 47
So I set up my new home theater about two weeks ago, and I'm just finally getting to setting up the Nintendo video games with it. I got the Wii working, and I played with some of the controls, and it looks pretty good now. However, the N64 is causing problems. I can't even get an output unless I put the DVDO EDGE into safe mode, and even when I do, I end up with horrendous flickering. Then, when I put it into game mode, all hell breaks lose, and I end up with a mess. I'm feeding a 60" Sharp LED LCD 3D Smart TV and an Onkyo 7.1 channel THX surround sound system, nice stuff, but not high end or unusual.

Game mode off.

Game mode on.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-23-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looks to me as if you got an Edge GREEN. The Green is not compatible with 240p signals.

DVDO learned about this within weeks after the Green's release, but never bothered to fix it. Return it and look for a 2nd hand Standard Edge instead.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

Looks to me as if you got an Edge GREEN. The Green is not compatible with 240p signals.
DVDO learned about this within weeks after the Green's release, but never bothered to fix it. Return it and look for a 2nd hand Standard Edge instead.

WHOA. Thanks for the info, that's majorly disappointing, as the whole point of this thing is that it's a video scaler... At this point, I don't really want to go through the hassle of returning it and tracking down a new one. I guess I'll just have to run the N64 straight to the TV, which is pretty disappointing, considering it's probably in the worst need of upscaling. At least I'll contact them and give them an earful, as that's just pathetic. Ugh, yet another thing I have to re-cable into my beautiful system of velcro-wrapped wire bundles....
post #4 of 6 Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And I'm guessing driving the DVD EDGE with S-Video isn't going to help my case since it is still a 240p output? I never realized the N64 used that format, I just thought everything on composite was sort of interlaced signal...
post #5 of 6 Old 12-24-2012, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
composite, s-video, component, RGBs - doesn't matter - it's just a bug in the Green's signal detection. And a real shame, since many people invested a lot of time to make 240p work great on the original Edge.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-25-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 609
I had figured the Edge Green only omitted the front USB port. But there were other changes as well then?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page