Newbie attempting to upgrade from onboard to pci to no avail. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First let me state some of my system specs. Its an acer aspire ax1200 mini computer. It runs 64 bit vista, has 4 GB RAM, and is a pretty basic system. I've already checked my psu and it IS small but should be enough power to run an entry level card. It should because the card I'm trying to put in is also pretty much an entry level card.

My brother in law gave me his old GEForce 210 card to try out on my pc. Right now it runs an ONBOARD version of the geforce 9200. I already know that I won't see much of a difference. Anyway, herein lies the problem:

I powered down. Unplugged the HDMI (all) cable(s) from the onboard. Then I plugged in the 210 to the pci(e) slot and used the HDMI slot and powered up. Blank screen. The monitor received no signal so shut itself off. I waited to see if it was trying to find or load drivers. After a while I plugged the HDMI cable back into the onboard and the screen came on, but the Nvidia settings for a resized desktop had been set back to default (desktop area larger than monitor). I checked to make sure the card fan spins so I know its getting power. After that I did a restart, went into BIOS and looked and saw that the BIOS recognized the PCIe card. The box next to it was shaded and the box next to onboard was empty. After letting it load I tried to the 210 again; nothing. I shut it down and only plugged in the 210 to vga instead of hdmi and restarted and still nothing.

I'm being told from a friend as I type that this is a Power Supply issue. I believe mine is only 220w or a 250w. So basically I'm screwed? Is this the concensus? I need a new power supply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-30-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You really should ask this in the HTPC area. This section is pretty much for external video processors--such as DVDO and Lumagen--for use with home theater displays, not computer GPUs.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page